July 22, 2018, 07:31:23 PM

Author Topic: All Aboard! Welcome to the Reading Train for - The Casual Vacancy  (Read 833 times)

September 26, 2012, 04:22:50 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
All Aboard!

Welcome to the Reading Group Train for -
The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

Welcome aboard! The staff of Discussion Station is so excited to bring to you a place where book lovers can discuss in-depth, new and old books that deserve a varied and far-ranging exchange of ideas and impressions about them. We are proud to present as the initial book  to be highlighted for the first Reading Group Train - JK Rowling's first novel for adults - The Casual Vacancy!

As the book is being released today - before we can really get into the discussion, we thought that you would like to get to know each other better. So here are some starter questions to help begin the conversation.

~ Tell us about yourself and - Why are you here?

~ Are you planning to go to any book events about The Casual Vacancy (TCV)?

~ How are you planning to get the book?;

~ Are you a  Harry Potter (HP) reader? HP film goer? Never read or watched the HP series?.

~ What piqued your curiosity about TCV? Why did you want to discuss it in a Reading Group?

The cardinal idea here at Discussion Station is to have fun and enjoy the ride! So feel free to answer any or all of the questions!

September 30, 2012, 12:46:53 AM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I just realized I guess I should start so you all get the idea of how to do this!

~ Tell us about yourself and - Why are you here?
Well I am a retired Pediatric Physical Therapist who found the Harry Potter Series many years ago. JK Rowling rekindled in me my love of literature to a degree that I find hard to explain. Since reading the HP series I have been on a roller coaster of reading and researching and posting on HP fan sites - Mostly the Leaky Lounge on the Leaky Cauldron web site. She even inspired me to start writing again. I am here because I love to read and talk about books!

~ Are you planning to go to any book events about The Casual Vacancy (TCV)?  How are you planning to get the book? No events around here ... Well now here's the thing - I decided I wanted to get the book as quickly as possible so I pre-ordered it on Kindle, but I knew full well I would have to have a hard copy of it! I just can't seem to lose my habit of writing in the margins of books that I enjoy! So many things I want to research! So today (three days after I received the book) I went out and got a hard copy... Now I will read it over again and do margin writing to my heart's content.

~ Are you a  Harry Potter (HP) reader? HP film goer? Never read or watched the HP series?. I am an avid HP reader. I have seen all the films - the books were 100% better. I still listen to the audio books.

~ What piqued your curiosity about TCV? Why did you want to discuss it in a Reading Group?
Well as I have said other places - reading a JK Rowling book is like peeling an onion - lots and lots of layers to her writing. Since doing some writing on my own, I really am interested to see how she constructs this book - whether she uses a 'ring style', or if she uses the alchemical 7 operations, or perhaps a hero's journey as the framework for the book. I am looking forward to discussing all this with you!