September 22, 2018, 07:17:42 AM

Poll

Author Topic: Poll: Which Train Car Are You Taking?  (Read 2392 times)

September 26, 2012, 04:38:04 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Poll: Which Train Car Are You Taking?

With all the controversy concerning book publishing these days, we, at Discussion Station, thought it called for a poll as to how you are planning to get your The Casual Vacancy book? By Kindle? Nook? Audio? Hard Copy? Other?

Once you have voted, we'd love to hear why you decided on that format. Additionally do you have other comments about the different formats? Any comments about the book publishing industry and how the range of formats is changing it?

September 27, 2012, 10:02:27 PM
Reply #1

Birthday Twins

• Distracted By Shiny Objects
  • Forum Moderator
I am going by way of Nook Reader this trip. I admit, it was the cheaper option. But I still prefer books if conditions work out that way. Call me old school but I love the feel of a book in my hands. Plus the battery never dies! ;)
September 27, 2012, 10:48:31 PM
Reply #2

Armoracia

• Forum Moderator
    • The Emotional Range of a Teaspoon
i don't have a kindle, but i, too, bought the ebook as it was a bit cheaper. the kindle app works equally well on my laptop and the college's iPad that i have use of - and i like the ability to "turn" the pages!
September 28, 2012, 01:01:18 AM
Reply #3

Mugglemama79

I will be waiting on my hard copy to come in the mail since I forgot to preorder and just ordered it today. I almost went for the Kindle so I could have it now, but I wanted the actual book and I wasn't buying both. :)
September 28, 2012, 02:43:30 AM
Reply #4

ginginkat

• Forum Moderator
My copy of the The Casual Vacancy was ready for download this morning on my Nook.  I keep trying to change the size of the print as it is too small to ready comfortably for any length of time.  :(  I may just purchase a hard copy tomorrow. :-\
September 28, 2012, 01:57:21 PM
Reply #5

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
My Kindle had the book on it when I looked at 7:30 on the 27th. I was happy to plunge in as soon as I could. However, I must admit I love a hard copy and find if I really want to get into a book and study it.,I need the hard copy. So I plan to buy it as soon as I can find a copy. I tried last night at Sam's but they didn't have them out - even though they had a sign saying it would be available on the 27th. (I've had that problem with Sam's before.) So hopefully sometime today I will find a hard copy.  ;D I do like my books!
September 28, 2012, 04:37:35 PM
Reply #6

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
My hard copy, which was finally ordered this Monday, arrived today with an Express delivery to my door step. While I do agree that Kindle (and other ebook formats too, no doubt) comes in very handy in many situations, nothing beats the feel of a book you can hold and turn pages in.

However, certain literature is just awesome to be able to get in no time, literally from the other side of Earth! About a year ago I got some advanced technical literature ordered (for work) and was considering that it would take a week to arrive from US, when I decided to go for the Kindle version instead, and in about 5 minutes after paying it arrived right into my computer. It was like magic!  :D
September 29, 2012, 04:02:57 AM
Reply #7

Kwikspell

Normally, I'm a books on my iPad girl, but I bought the hard copy today as I can foresee wanting to write notes in the margins for this book. Jo usually does that to me!  Of course, I'm about the head out on vacation for a week, so now I'm lamenting the fact that I didn't download this one.  ;D Technology sure has spoiled me!
September 29, 2012, 11:18:31 AM
Reply #8

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
My hard copy arrived on the 27th, I decided on that rather than my Kindle because I want to see it on my shelves, I do love to be able to see my books and it can sit with all my HP books.  I won't be writing in the margins but I will have a supply of post-its to hand.

September 29, 2012, 02:06:20 PM
Reply #9

momwitch

I have a Barnes and Noble member account and got 40% off the hard copy version, so it wasn't too bad. :)  I'm not a fan of electronic books - I still like to hold a real book in my hands and feel the weight of what I'm reading...it leaves a longer standing impression in my mind! ;)
September 29, 2012, 03:04:14 PM
Reply #10

merrythought

I've got the hard copy.  While I do have a Nook, I tend to only use it when traveling.  I also find that when I use the Nook, and want to go back and check a detail from earlier, I have a much harder time finding the detail I'm looking for; with an actual book, I gain visual memory as I read, and can often remember what "side" of the book it's on, and where it is on the page, even if I don't remember the exact page number.

The Casual Vacancy's book jacket has an interesting texture - somewhere between suede and rubber!  I'm not sure whether I like that or not.  I do like the illustration on the back of the jacket, which is a silhouette of a church spire and rooftops, with birds circling the spire.
September 29, 2012, 09:49:49 PM
Reply #11

JaneMarple9

I have the "hardback edition", which arrived this morning. I don't have a kindle or a nook, although I have a kindle device on the computer. It'll look good with my other Potter books - I particularly like the subtle cover!

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
September 30, 2012, 03:40:39 PM
Reply #12

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I went with a Kindle copy (hmmm, can you call it a copy in that context? hmmm)

Despite being able to get a hold of it immediately like that, it has taken me until today to finally "crack it open" (ok that definitely doesn't work for an ebook).

Yes, I too love the feel of a real book. But with all the traveling I'm doing I've got myself used to using an ebook reader, and my back thanks me for not lugging that many books around anymore.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
September 30, 2012, 04:08:03 PM
Reply #13

pleshette

• Staffer
I just got my hard copy in the mail yesterday. I'll probably start reading it somewhere between mid and late next week. I'm totally immersed in the third book of an excellent series (The Isle of Blood by Rick Yancey) and I can't put it aside...even for JKR.
October 02, 2012, 02:16:27 PM
Reply #14

bemused

• Staffer
Bought it in hard copy along with the groceries - the supermarket was cheaper than Amazon! 
October 05, 2012, 09:39:52 PM
Reply #15

JaneMarple9

Kind friends also got me the audio cd of Casual Vacancy too, so double the pleasure!

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
November 16, 2012, 09:42:47 PM
Reply #16

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I was on an overseas holiday when the book came out. I picked up a hard copy there and then just snuck under the baggage limit on the way back  :)