August 20, 2018, 11:49:36 PM

Author Topic: Surfing through the channels - what film would you stop to watch?  (Read 3232 times)

September 26, 2012, 09:16:22 PM

SnapesSister

• Forum Moderator
Is there a particular film you would drop everything to sit and watch? If you were surfing through TV channels and noticed your favourite film was showing, what film would that be? Or does your favourite film depend on what mood you're in at the time?

This thread is intended to be a bit of an ice breaker; a place to share with people the films that you watch over and over, for whatever reason - a great storyline, an unforgettable performance by an actor/actress, stunning cinematography...

So, if you have an all time favourite film and want to recommend it, come and tell us about it! :)

October 07, 2012, 12:53:46 PM
Reply #1

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I have a lot of favourite films, more than I can count really ;D The one I'd stop to watch at any given time depends on my mood, of course. However, my all-time favourite film just because of the sheer number of times I've seen it, is - Love Actually. Once Christmas season starts, I like to put it on every other night even if it is just mostly for background noise. It's just so warm and sweet and Christmas-y. I like to watch it during the whole year as well - it's my comfort food of films.
October 07, 2012, 02:00:41 PM
Reply #2

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
However, my all-time favourite film just because of the sheer number of times I've seen it, is - Love Actually.
This actually happened to me recently, I was channel-surfing one evening and there it was, with Hugh Grant about to get his tea and biscuits, I just had put down the remote control and watch.  Wonderful.

Other films that have the same effect (there's quite a list so this is just a selection), even if it's only to catch the last ten minutes, are Dirty Dancing, One Fine Day (both have great music and storylines), any of the Harry Potter films, any version of A Christmas Carol which is one of my favourite Dickens books too, any Fred Astaire film, High Society, Singing in the Rain (again both have great music), The Ladykillers (original b&w version) and Arsenic and Old Lace.   These are the ones that come to mind after a couple of minutes thought but I know there will be others.

October 07, 2012, 02:56:38 PM
Reply #3

merrythought

For me, there is nothing like a good Woody Allen film, especially The Purple Rose of Cairo and Midnight in Paris.  They are similar in that fantasy and reality blend for a brief period of time, and both are warm and funny.   Yet they have different tones: Midnight in Paris is more clever, while The Purple Rose of Cairo is more touching and has greater emotional depth.

A film I'd probably never find on American television, but would stop for if I did, is the German film, Goodbye Lenin, which is set during the time of German reunification and is about an young man whose mother is ill and whose doctor warns she can't handle any strong shocks; so her son goes to hilarious lengths to keep her thinking that they still live under communism in East Germany.  There's a very funny moment when, outside her bedroom window, an enormous Coca-Cola banner is slowly rolled down the side of the building across the street.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:58:27 PM by merrythought »
October 09, 2012, 07:25:33 PM
Reply #4

SnapesSister

• Forum Moderator
This actually happened to me recently, I was channel-surfing one evening and there it was, with Hugh Grant about to get his tea and biscuits, I just had put down the remote control and watch.  Wonderful.

Yes, if I see that Love Actually is on TV I also make the effort to watch it. Not only does it feature a few of my favourite actors, but it's such a feel good film - just the thing if you need cheering up. :)

Another film I go back to again and again is Sense and Sensibility (1995). This is one of my favourite films ever.  Emma Thompson did such a great job adapting it (even though a few characters were missed out completely - which didn't bother me at all), the cast is absolutely stellar and there is nothing that I don't like about this film. Add the fact that it contains Alan Rickman in Regency costume and one of his best roles (in my humble opinion), watching this film makes me a very happy bunny indeed. :D
October 09, 2012, 09:46:53 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I rarely see TV, but when I do I rather see films than series (simply because series don't do well with a rare TV watcher). As for films I'd stop and watch there are a fair few, some of them being:

Other films that have the same effect (there's quite a list so this is just a selection), even if it's only to catch the last ten minutes, are Dirty Dancing... (both have great music and storylines), any of the Harry Potter films, ...
These are some of my main favourites as well. Other favourites that definitely make me stop and watch are Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, Dances With Wolves both starring Kevin Costner, Somersby and Fried Green Tomatoes Served Hot at the Whistle Stop CafĂ©. The last, perhaps being one of my all time biggest favourites: it has everything: A story that counts, laughter,  suspence, thrill, tragedy and comical relief, a mystery to solve... Characters that are utterly three-dimensional and believable, it touches upon some very strong themes.

There are more thing's I'd stop and watch of course, for instance I really like Whoopie Goldberg, especially as a Nun in two movies Sister Act and Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit.
October 14, 2012, 04:18:34 PM
Reply #6

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
If there is one film I would stop dead and watch - it would be Somewhere In Time. That opening scene gives me chills every time! And Christopher Reeves just plays the part so well. Jane Seymor? Absolutely perfection. Too me it's the most romantic film I have ever seen. The end is so sad, but inevitable. I love that movie and would - no holds barred - watch if I stumbled upon it!

The one other film I will drop everything to watch would be Bringing Up Baby with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. I laugh every time at Hepburn echoing Grant calling for 'baby'. That's such a great laugh that it would be hard to pass up.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:23:07 PM by HealerOne »
October 14, 2012, 09:05:40 PM
Reply #7

Kwikspell

Ah, Sense and Sensibility is one I throw in whenever I'm sick. It's just so wonderfully done!

I always stop and watch Galaxy Quest, Midnight Run and The Full Monty because I'm guaranteed a good laugh.
October 16, 2012, 07:28:26 AM
Reply #8

CallMeSeverus

In my family we always stop at an "Indina Jones" or a "Back to the Future!"
October 16, 2012, 05:10:33 PM
Reply #9

tryston009

Even though I own all these movies and could watch them at any time, I always stop when I see any of the Bourne movies, LOTR, or Harry Potter. Because watching these movies with commercials is just so much better than the DVD. :P

November 01, 2012, 08:24:57 AM
Reply #10

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I have no idea why but I am a sucker for a Rom-Com, even the really lame ones. I would never pay money to go and see them at the cinema but when I find one on TV I will drop everything to watch it. Might be the fact that I am the only female in my household.  ;)

The one movie I can never ignore is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. No real reason, just love it.

January 07, 2013, 11:00:53 PM
Reply #11

Pleione

I always stop and watch Galaxy Quest...

Oh, that's one of my favorites! I crack up every time Tommy scrapes takes the spaceship out of the dock.  ;D  I also happen to know that there's another staffer around here that is a huge Galaxy Quest fan and his name rhymes with Goose.    ;)

I'll always stop and watch The Shop Around the Corner. I love Jimmy Stewart and he's wonderful in that movie.  Actually, just about any movie with Jimmy Stewart will stop my channel surfing.  And John Huges films will make me stop and watch: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Ferris Bueller, Christmas Vacation...

My super-secret guilty pleasure film is Top Gun.   8)

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.   -A.A. Milne
January 08, 2013, 04:54:22 AM
Reply #12

LillianJames

SOOOO many movies I've really liked.  Some not-so-classic ones that I'd watch right now , though: The Holiday with Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, and Jack Black (I covet the cottage!); As Good as it Gets w/jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt;
Witness w/ Harrison Ford and Kelly Mcgillis (love the music!); Dances with WolvesA River Runs Through It ( hey, I'm from Montana!)    --for starters.   The ones I stop to watch are movies that somehow seemed "perfect" to me, usually because of how the story comes together, the soundtrack, the characters.

I really like Ferris Bueller, too!

Lillian James
January 09, 2013, 12:39:00 AM
Reply #13

Marielle

My guilty pleasure when surfing, well, it isn't a movie, more a TV series, I am almost shy to say,  It is Columbo.  I used to watch the reruns of this show all the time before, and even now when it plays on the tv and surf on it, I have to stop and watch!
January 13, 2013, 06:39:07 AM
Reply #14

varza

• Varzaland
I will almost always stop or change the channel if I see that the Replacements is on. LOVE THAT MOVIE!
I am everywhere....
January 13, 2013, 10:34:52 AM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
My super-secret guilty pleasure film is Top Gun.   8)
Oh, I love that movie! It has adventure, a great hero, romance and tragedy in a very good mix!
January 14, 2013, 01:04:14 AM
Reply #16

Lillielle

The Princess Bride. I love that movie. It's my favorite movie of all time. No matter where it is, I can pick up where it is in the plot and just love it. :D

Also, the Harry Potter movies, LOTR probably. I doubt I would ever really see it on TV, but if by some miracle, Repo! The Genetic Opera came on... ;)

Most "kids' movies," too. Tangled, Lilo and Stitch, Finding Nemo, etc.
"Neither the angels in heaven above nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee."
January 16, 2013, 04:15:17 AM
Reply #17

Armoracia

• Forum Moderator
    • The Emotional Range of a Teaspoon
While I can't say offhand what movies other than that HP ones I would automatically stop for, I do notice that most of them seem to be shown on ABC Family - so yeah, kid's movies for me too, Lillielle!

Interestingly enough, those aren't the movies I own: I prefer action/adventure movies in my collection (Indiana Jones, Sherlock Holmes, the Dan Brown - based movies, etc.). Maybe it is because I prefer to watch those unedited for television!
January 18, 2013, 09:27:43 PM
Reply #18

LillianJames

Forgot  one more-- until it was on yesterday.. The American President with Michael Douglas and Annette Benning.  Such a cast, and so many memorable lines!!  I love Sorkin's work and will watch this one anytime!
Lillian James
January 20, 2013, 09:35:59 PM
Reply #19

pleshette

• Staffer
I'm not a huge movie person, but if I stop on certain ones while channel surfing, I'll get sucked in and easily waste an hour. Forrest Gump, any HP movie, Roman Holiday, Lady Hawk (though it's been years since I've run into this one), The Breakfast Club, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, are ones that come to mind. Oh, and today? I happened to turn on ABC family, and the "Step in Time" chimney sweep scene (one of my favorites) from Mary Poppins came on and I had to sit and watch the rest!