December 19, 2018, 02:41:20 PM

Author Topic: Pottermore - Spoiler Free Zone  (Read 18522 times)

September 26, 2012, 09:55:43 PM

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
This is the place to discuss anything about Pottermore apart from canon we have a separate thread for that here

So, first of all tell us about yourself:

Username:

House:

Wand:

Pet:

Now just tell us what you enjoy about Pottermore, how you're doing with Potions and Duelling.  What don't you like about the site?  Anything else you want to discuss. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:08:11 PM by Dreamteam »

October 11, 2012, 11:44:38 PM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Username: WingHeart 205

House: Gryffindor

Wand: 9 3/4 in made of Vine with a Phoenix feather core; Quite flexible

Pet: Sandy colored cat

I am absolutely bottom of the class when it comes to potions - that's why I am stalled at the moment in CoS. Dueling? Never tried as I don't want to take my time on Pottermore doing that.  One thing I have a great time doing - and I actually find it relaxing - is tossing those gnomes out of the Weasley Garden! I try first for the amount I toss out during the time period and then for the distance.  Lovely fun. But really it's the 'extra information' that I am after.
October 15, 2012, 07:52:54 AM
Reply #2

Lucette

Lovely fun. But really it's the 'extra information' that I am after.[/color]

Same here.  Very interested in the ghost plots and back stories.  So far, the ghost plots tend to explain a few things that took place in the books and/or talked about things that happened outside of the scope of the book.  I wonder if we will come across a ghost plot that will actually contradict what happened in the final draft.

In the movies, removing bits of the plot from what was in the books does change the story a bit.  For example, in both the book and movie, "Moody" gives Neville a book with the hopes that Neville tells Harry about the Gillyweed.  In the book, that plan doesn't work so "Moody" lets Dobby overhear a conversation with the plan that Dobby would tell Harry about the Gillyweed.  The movie leaves out the whole Dobby plan B and has Neville give Harry the information.  It is a small change, but this change makes it look like Harry and Neville are closer than they are in the book that Neville would actually hear what the problem is and know that he knew the solution to it.

The possibility of alternate Potter realities is also something that makes the ghost plots interesting.

I found the mandrake adorable - he melted my heart.

Are you finding that the more that is revealed to you, the more questions you have?  Or is that just me.

SkullAuror8973
October 16, 2012, 11:24:52 AM
Reply #3

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Username: MagicThorn59

House: Hufflepuff

Wand: 11", Silver Lime with an Unicorn core, Quite Flexible

Pet: Screech Owl

When I first got my Pottermore account, I mostly only wanted to see the new writing from Jo and to see where she'd sort me.  But once I was there, I got caught in the whole Hufflepuff house pride thing, seeing so many people being upset that they were sorted into Hufflepuff.  I was very happy to be in Hufflepuff, and felt it was where I belonged, and wanted to do my part in the race for the House Cup during the Beta period since the Hufflepuffs were dead last.  We didn't have other options for earning house points, so I forced myself to learn to brew potions and duel in order to earn those points.  Potions came easily for me, but dueling did not.  I stopped brewing after a while though, because of general lack of time.

Are you finding that the more that is revealed to you, the more questions you have?  Or is that just me.
I think so far the new information (I've only read up to the end of PS/SS so far) answered more questions than they created, for me.  I'm extremely interested in finding out which houses the characters sorted into, for example, and was happy to see the answer for two of the characters in PS/SS.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:20:30 PM by ss19 »
October 21, 2012, 10:53:26 AM
Reply #4

Lucette

I am too afraid to try potions because of what I've heard and what I know about my own limitations.  I heard that you lose points if you don't do it right.

Many of my unanswered theories at the end of the series involved genealogy more than Houses - who is related to who. 

Some of the new people I would like to know more about and some my curriosity is satisfied even with very little information.

JKR hinted before Pottermore that some people are sorted rather quickly and others take time.  She said something in the recent Pottermore interview about Houses and the difference between how one sees oneself and the reality.

I am sort of mixed about houses because if one is sick alot, one loses bits and pieces of one'self - including parts of one's personality and nature.  Was I placed where I was because too much of who I was is missing or is there enough of me left that I would be there anyway.  I don't really see myself as a Gryffindor.  I sometimes wonder if the sorting is random or whether external things, such as heat waves or contamination scares, could determine one's fondness or lack there of for water etc.  Would one answer the questions the same way if one joined in the Spring or the Summer or Fall?  That I am a daughter, sister and mother doesn't change as much.

Sorry for the jibbering, I am just chomping at the bit for a less spoiler-free zone - the Pottermore chapters that they said would be released before the end of the month with brand new spoilers none of us know about yet.  I came here because I know that many of you are also waiting patiently. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:58:28 AM by Lucette »
October 21, 2012, 09:39:51 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The first and foremost reason why I login at Pottermore is for the canon info from Jo. However, I do think it's fun to play around with the magical elements of the site, even if am not a very proficient brewer or dueller it can still be fun sometimes.

Tonight I tried my hand at the Swelling Solution and accidentally clicked slightly off from the rat spleen jar, while collecting those. And Pottermore threw up an error saying my potion was brewed incorrectly! :( Um... Is that meant to happen or is it a bug? Anyone knowing? I think I've never been punished before for not actually getting hold of an ingredient and grasping thin air instead...?  :-\
October 24, 2012, 11:51:49 PM
Reply #6

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
The first and foremost reason why I login at Pottermore is for the canon info from Jo. However, I do think it's fun to play around with the magical elements of the site, even if am not a very proficient brewer or dueller it can still be fun sometimes.

Tonight I tried my hand at the Swelling Solution and accidentally clicked slightly off from the rat spleen jar, while collecting those. And Pottermore threw up an error saying my potion was brewed incorrectly! :( Um... Is that meant to happen or is it a bug? Anyone knowing? I think I've never been punished before for not actually getting hold of an ingredient and grasping thin air instead...?  :-\
It seems to me that brewing it incorrectly is all to easy to achieve, to the extent that I've given up on them in general.  I was disheartened to find that brewing a potion is needed to move through one of the chapters ... maybe one day when I'm off work and have nothing much to do. 

On the whole I tend to just visit for the new information which is always welcome but I've never been interested in house points, etc. 

October 25, 2012, 07:41:23 AM
Reply #7

Lucette

For which chapter is brewing a potion needed?  I haven't brewed any yet and still managed to get through to the end of Chapter 11. 

Neither me nor the computer are up to it.
October 26, 2012, 10:45:34 PM
Reply #8

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
For which chapter is brewing a potion needed?  I haven't brewed any yet and still managed to get through to the end of Chapter 11. 

It's Chapter 11 in CoS, The Duelling Club - you're invited to brew the Swelling Solution and then revisit Snape's office. 

October 27, 2012, 02:51:16 PM
Reply #9

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I just realised what my mistake was - I was aiming at the Bat Spleens instead of the Pufferfish eyes. *Sigh* So Pottermore had every reason to correct me for disobedience to the recipe - I bet I got myself into a worse fix than Neville did on this one... ;) Now I've at least reached the brewing stage correctly. :)
October 28, 2012, 05:55:37 AM
Reply #10

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
It seems to me that brewing it incorrectly is all to easy to achieve, to the extent that I've given up on them in general.  I was disheartened to find that brewing a potion is needed to move through one of the chapters ... maybe one day when I'm off work and have nothing much to do.

It's Chapter 11 in CoS, The Duelling Club - you're invited to brew the Swelling Solution and then revisit Snape's office. 

I haven't tested this personally, but I've been told by a reliable source that you don't have to personally brew the Swelling Solution.  You only need to have the potion in your possession, and can revisit Snape's office to see the extra stuff if you receive a bottle of Swelling Solution as a gift from a friend.

I've been too busy to go on Pottermore recently and haven't tried the potion yet, but when I get there, I'd be happy to make a couple of extra bottles to give to whoever here wants one.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:39:39 PM by ss19 »
October 28, 2012, 03:03:45 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I finally brewed it this week. And once you learn which glass jar is which, so you don't grab the wrong ingredients, it's really quite easy. In fact I wonder if it isn't the easiest of the lot? Very few ingredients, no liquids that splatter all over, or other odd things. So it should be a good one to learn on I think. :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:05:26 PM by Evreka »
October 28, 2012, 11:03:22 PM
Reply #12

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I finally brewed it this week. And once you learn which glass jar is which, so you don't grab the wrong ingredients, it's really quite easy. In fact I wonder if it isn't the easiest of the lot? Very few ingredients, no liquids that splatter all over, or other odd things. So it should be a good one to learn on I think. :)
One problem I've had is the 60 minute wait, I go away, intending to come back 60 minutes later but get distracted by other things and when I return it's spoiled.  It may need to wait until I'm off work for a few days and am home alone. 

October 29, 2012, 04:52:34 AM
Reply #13

Lucette

I can't guarantee that I won't get sick within that 60 minute period.  I hate to forgo potion ingredients but may have to - as long as I can move forward to the next chapter.

There seems to be enough work to it that one would have to be a very good friend to do it twice so that one's friend could have the potion.
October 29, 2012, 02:26:12 PM
Reply #14

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I mainly go in for the information, too. But I have been trying and failing to get the Swelling Solution done so as to return to Snape's office *sigh* The last step (low temperature heating of cauldron) trips me up every single time. My temperature isn't even within the accepted frame yet and it tells me I did it wrong. I'm starting to wonder if there is some kind of lag between what I see and what the "potion" (computer) is registering. Or perhaps I am missing something?
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
October 29, 2012, 08:39:25 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
One problem I've had is the 60 minute wait, I go away, intending to come back 60 minutes later but get distracted by other things and when I return it's spoiled.  It may need to wait until I'm off work for a few days and am home alone.
Buy a copper cauldron, and the brewing time goes down to 45 min which is somewhat less daunting. That the different cauldron materials DOES affect brewing times was a most welcome change after the Beta Feedback round. :) All Potions brew quicker in that one.

Also, when I reach the brewing stage I look at my watch and calculates what it will be 45 min on. So I can memorize the time it will be ready. Another alternative is to set an alarm clock for when the Potion is due. :)

But I have been trying and failing to get the Swelling Solution done so as to return to Snape's office *sigh* The last step (low temperature heating of cauldron) trips me up every single time. My temperature isn't even within the accepted frame yet and it tells me I did it wrong. I'm starting to wonder if there is some kind of lag between what I see and what the "potion" (computer) is registering. Or perhaps I am missing something?
I'd guess that something's amiss with the step prior to heating then, which is the stirring. The first time I reached the second part I screwed up there. You have to stir with distinct and rather large circling movements, also to check that the counter ticks up to 4 before letting go of the spoon.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:41:50 PM by Evreka »
October 30, 2012, 06:22:22 PM
Reply #16

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Quote from: atschpe
But I have been trying and failing to get the Swelling Solution done so as to return to Snape's office *sigh* The last step (low temperature heating of cauldron) trips me up every single time. My temperature isn't even within the accepted frame yet and it tells me I did it wrong. I'm starting to wonder if there is some kind of lag between what I see and what the "potion" (computer) is registering. Or perhaps I am missing something?
I'd guess that something's amiss with the step prior to heating then, which is the stirring. The first time I reached the second part I screwed up there. You have to stir with distinct and rather large circling movements, also to check that the counter ticks up to 4 before letting go of the spoon.

I'm sure I do the stirring correctly – for times, big anti-clockwise circles. Snape pokes his big nose in when I am heating, just before I want to turn off the heat because I would be within the allowed range it says I brewed it incorrectly, so I presume I have to catch the exact moment to hit the off button before I get into that range – turn it off to early or use the small flame and I get just the same message. It's aggravating to stumble on the last step every time after doing it all minutely to the recipe and waiting etc. Oh well, perhaps I'll get lucky at some point.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
October 30, 2012, 10:06:55 PM
Reply #17

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
... Snape pokes his big nose in when I am heating, just before I want to turn off the heat because I would be within the allowed range it says I brewed it incorrectly, so I presume I have to catch the exact moment to hit the off button before I get into that range – turn it off to early or use the small flame and I get just the same message. It's aggravating to stumble on the last step every time after doing it all minutely to the recipe and waiting etc. Oh well, perhaps I'll get lucky at some point.
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but otherwise it might be the explanation...

I heat this way: Big flame until I reach the area where the temperature gets green, Small flame until I (almost) reach the upper end, Off until I (almost) reach the lower end, Small flame until I (almost) reach the upper end,.... On the second part of the Swelling Solution, that means switching between low and no heat, repeatedly, very quickly. If you, however, turn off the heat as soon as you reach the green temperature, it will drop lower in a blink of an eye and you will have failed. If you're not already doing it my way, try it and see if it works better for you. :)
October 31, 2012, 12:38:50 PM
Reply #18

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I heat this way: Big flame until I reach the area where the temperature gets green, Small flame until I (almost) reach the upper end, Off until I (almost) reach the lower end, Small flame until I (almost) reach the upper end,.... On the second part of the Swelling Solution, that means switching between low and no heat, repeatedly, very quickly. If you, however, turn off the heat as soon as you reach the green temperature, it will drop lower in a blink of an eye and you will have failed. If you're not already doing it my way, try it and see if it works better for you. :)

That's what I want to do, yet it tells me I did it incorrectly before it even gets into the area of green/accepted temperature, hence why I think there is some lag between what it is registering and what it is showing, at least for me.

Anyway, not to bore everyone with my potion disasters …

Is it me or are their moments where the (still) isn't anything to find? I've had the odd moment where it is beautiful to scrutinise all the detail but I don't seem to find anything, and wonder if I am missing something.

It also turns into a fun game of memory if you have to retrieve something for potions again and have to remember in which moment you found it.  Well, I guess I'm getting quite the brain training here seeing I have to redo potions countless times to get it to work …
October 31, 2012, 07:58:45 PM
Reply #19

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Is it me or are their moments where the (still) isn't anything to find? I've had the odd moment where it is beautiful to scrutinise all the detail but I don't seem to find anything, and wonder if I am missing something.
I guess it depends by what you mean?

In COS there are a couple of moments that contains games: Dobby and the pudding in Petunia's kitchen, The Gnome Throwing Game, Catching the Pixies and a few more. In those moments I don't think there is something other than the game.

But apart from these, I don't recall a whole moment without something to find, although PM is more sneaky this time around and some things can only be found on your second visit to the moment. I am not 100% certain if every layer within the moments always have something to find, I don't think this is the case, but it may be lousy memory on my part, or that I have missed something too.  :-\ Any particular moment you were thinking of?

It also turns into a fun game of memory if you have to retrieve something for potions again and have to remember in which moment you found it.  Well, I guess I'm getting quite the brain training here seeing I have to redo potions countless times to get it to work …
LOL! Nothing bad, without a silver lining... ;)