January 23, 2018, 06:11:38 AM

Author Topic: Pottermore - Spoiler Free Zone  (Read 13361 times)

November 03, 2012, 01:45:58 PM
Reply #20

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
In COS there are a couple of moments that contains games: Dobby and the pudding in Petunia's kitchen, The Gnome Throwing Game, Catching the Pixies and a few more. In those moments I don't think there is something other than the game.

But apart from these, I don't recall a whole moment without something to find, although PM is more sneaky this time around and some things can only be found on your second visit to the moment. I am not 100% certain if every layer within the moments always have something to find, I don't think this is the case, but it may be lousy memory on my part, or that I have missed something too.  :-\ Any particular moment you were thinking of?
I can't recall specifics in the moments we've had for a hwile. But for example the Diary moment (where you go into the diary) – I'm not finding anything. Same in the moments taking place in the chamber too.

I had to giggle when exploring the valentine moment. Nice little joke to have a vomit-flavoured bean hidden in that scene, don't you think?
November 09, 2012, 04:02:44 AM
Reply #21

Lucette

The vomit jelly bean was fitting.  Sent one to a friend but told her that it had nothing to do with the friendship but for her to guess which moment I found it in.

I haven't read the cheats yet - except to look and find out that one needs to brew the potion correctly to get into the Slytherin commonroom.

What happens if "stop script" pops up when you are making a potion?  Is there any way of getting the wand to act more like it is being held by a left hander - even if one is using the mouse with the right hand, that really does throw a person off.
November 09, 2012, 09:20:11 PM
Reply #22

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The vomit jelly bean was fitting.  Sent one to a friend but told her that it had nothing to do with the friendship but for her to guess which moment I found it in.
:D Fun idea!

Is there any way of getting the wand to act more like it is being held by a left hander - even if one is using the mouse with the right hand, that really does throw a person off.
None that I know of?

If your computer warns for a script to need stopping, you probably should stop it. Otherwise you risk that your entire computer freezes up due to WAY too much to do, as some add or application is hogging all the system resources and/or available memory.  :o Just what I would do.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:23:41 PM by Evreka »
December 10, 2012, 09:59:59 PM
Reply #23

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I visited Pottermore today and tried to brew Polyjuice Potion among other things - which didn't turn out very well when I had to navigate a bottle of lacewing flies over the cauldron and accidentally dropped some in there instead of the mortar. After an hours worth of brewing time I felt quite irritated. Will have to try again some other day.

However a couple of things I found:
  • It's snowing in Diagon Alley now! :D It's really quite a lovely look - well worth a visit!
  • We've all got 100 Galleons more added to our Vaults after the House Cup awarding (which went to Gryffindor). Currently Hufflepuff is in the lead! :)
January 26, 2013, 10:34:08 PM
Reply #24

BillieMac

Username: VineRose5372

House: Hufflepuff

Wand: Ash and unicorn hair.

Pet: Ginger tabby cat

Now just tell us what you enjoy about Pottermore, how you're doing with Potions and Duelling.  What don't you like about the site?  Anything else you want to discuss.

I enjoy the discussions about Pottermore. As to Poottermore itself?

I'm not good with computers, and have had problems from the get-go. Potions has been the worst. It takes me ages to get any potion correctly, and a glitchy program doesn't help. I needed to be gifted all of the CoS  potions before the House Cup, just to get a couple of measly points. Half an hour ago,  I finally made what may be my only Polyjuice Part 1. We may be well into GoF before I get Part 2.

Evreka, I had the same problem with the lacewings. I never liked the cauldron being in the middle.
Lucette, if you're still not in the Slytherin Common Room by next Wed., I can re-gift the Polyjuice I was gifted. There's a chocolate frog card in there. There's no point (or points) to getting into Snape's private stores unless you do manage to make a Swelling Solution. Btw, I didn't guess the correct location of the BB bean. I don't remember where it was, either, so I'm writing these things in my Potions book from now on.

With dueling, I'm doing nothing. That may change if I ever break 200 points, as I have been practicing the simpler spells. So far, I'm up to successfully casting the spell just over half the time. (Poor hand-eye co-ordination.)
February 13, 2013, 10:32:40 PM
Reply #25

BillieMac

Cutting down the brewing time with a copper cauldron is a good idea, but I recall that it also sped up the heating time, and that's how I lost mine. I may be recalling that incorrectly.
If that's not the case, I may try copper again. I wanted 394 Galleons in my vault when the next chapters go up, so I went on a shopping spree today and got one copper and one brass. 
February 14, 2013, 03:25:53 AM
Reply #26

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Cutting down the brewing time with a copper cauldron is a good idea, but I recall that it also sped up the heating time, and that's how I lost mine. I may be recalling that incorrectly.
You remembered correctly.  A copper cauldron definitely does also speed up the heating time (and the brass cauldron too, to a lesser degree), so I never used it for the potions that have a narrow heating range, to avoid the risk of overheating.  My recommendation would be that you don't use a copper cauldron on a new potion you're trying for the first time, and only use it on ones you know don't have a narrow heating range for either part 1 or part 2.

For the Book 1 potions, I personally only used my copper cauldron for the Wideye Potion, the Antidote to Common Poisons, and Cure for Boils.  For the Forgetfulness Potion or the Sleeping Draught, I would use either brass or pewter.  The Herbicide I only used the pewter cauldron.

Sorry but I'm very behind on Pottermore and haven't tried any of the newer (post-Book 1) potions yet and don't know which ones of those might be good candidates for the copper or brass cauldrons.  I hope to catch up at some point, hopefully soon.

f that's not the case, I may try copper again. I wanted 394 Galleons in my vault when the next chapters go up, so I went on a shopping spree today and got one copper and one brass.
Too bad we can't gift each other Galleons, or I would be kind and volunteer to take some Galleons off your hands to help you reach your most awesome goal.  :snape:
February 15, 2013, 12:28:49 AM
Reply #27

BillieMac

Thanks for the confirmation, ss19. I'll refer back to it if I feel confident enough when I do more Book 1 potions. I need the points.

Sorry but I'm very behind on Pottermore and haven't tried any of the newer (post-Book 1) potions yet and don't know which ones of those might be good candidates for the copper or brass cauldrons.  I hope to catch up at some point, hopefully soon.
I may not be the best one to advise this, but I would say no Book 2 potions should be done with any cauldron other than pewter

Too bad we can't gift each other Galleons, or I would be kind and volunteer to take some Galleons off your hands to help you reach your most awesome goal.  :snape:
Thanks for the offer, but the cauldrons, unicorn horns, and bezoars took care of that. I now have my requisite 394G/. :hufflepuffc:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:05:01 PM by BillieMac »
March 09, 2013, 09:42:16 PM
Reply #28

BillieMac

The past week I've been updating my Potions book, (I'll be trolling for info on Wed.,) and getting annoyed that the page numbers don't come out the way I want them to with only three Book 2 potions. In the wee hours of this morning it hit me.

We don't do a Mandrake Draught!

Of all the potions to leave out, they forgot the one that aids the happy ending. Considering the constant delays getting chapters up, they could at least have given us a fourth potion to pass the time. (We don't need them spectacular, Pottermore- just glitch-free and timely.)
Even with my dismal cyber record, I could have done it by now. I've actually mastered Polyjuice, and have two of each part in stock.
(Did you get the CF card in the Sly CM, Lucette? )
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:49:03 PM by BillieMac »
March 10, 2013, 08:41:42 PM
Reply #29

ss19

• Administrator
The students don't make the Mandrake Restorative Draught in the book though.  The impression I get is that it's not an easy potion to make and requires someone with advanced potions skills.  Snape was the one to personally make that potion in CoS.  I think because we're supposed to play the part of Hogwarts students on Pottermore, so far the potions they've had us make have all been ones the students made in the books.  The Polyjuice Potion wasn't taught to the students in the book, but was made illegally by the Trio, so it made sense that they did include that.
March 15, 2013, 09:47:30 PM
Reply #30

BillieMac

Hermione P said much the same thing over at Leaky, ss19, and thinking it over, you two are right. I hope we get to make one after DH is done.

I just went to do the PoA Quiz at Pottermore, and I am pissed off. There's nowhere to give a response on the website- you have to go to twitter or facebook. I am so sick of being assumed to be on a texting site. If I ever do get an account, it'll be under protest. They're trying to force everybody to spend their whole time on-line, and that's why hacking is epidemic now. I do all my banking in person and on paper. It's called "cash" cyberworld.

A guy I know wanted to know my twitter account so he could send me something (past experience tells me it was something I don't want) and I told him I have no intention of doing anything online that starts with the word "twit".
My only experience on facebook was to report him on their public access page. He'd used my e-mail address to get himself an account. I found out when I got the e-mail from them about the password.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:51:59 PM by BillieMac »
March 15, 2013, 10:28:53 PM
Reply #31

roonwit

I just went to do the PoA Quiz at Pottermore, and I am pissed off. There's nowhere to give a response on the website- you have to go to twitter or facebook.
Yes, that is annoying, particularly since a lot of the answers that are on Facebook/Twitter are based on the film, not the book. In the post that announced the quiz  they also suggest discussing it in the Great Hall, but that is a far from ideal place for discussions.
Of course the good news is this quiz on the next 8 chapters means that they are almost certainly going to release them soon, perhaps even on day 11 of the quiz.
March 16, 2013, 09:59:15 PM
Reply #32

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I wonder...  :ashamed: Are there anyone here who happens to have a surplus of Polyjuice Potions on a shelf somewhere? Any chance I could gift you something in return for a brewed such? Reason: the near 24 hours brewing time for polyjuice part 2.  :-[ I have now waited a couple of months to try to find a time where I could fit this into a workable time frame IRL and I haven't managed to make it work so far. Because I can be stubborn as a mule sometimes, I am refusing to enter POA before I've been through all of COS and I can't get into the Slytherin Common Room without this potion....

Thanks a lot, I got a potion!  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:34:18 AM by Evreka »
March 22, 2013, 09:55:02 PM
Reply #33

BillieMac

I needed to be gifted all three Book 2 Potions. Now that I've had a few successes, I'm happy to pay it forward.

The reason for us not making a mandrake draught: well, it hit me just as I sat down at the computer. We probably won't be making a Wolfsbane Potion, either. I hope we make some of these non-Trio potions post Book 7.
March 27, 2013, 02:16:04 PM
Reply #34

ss19

• Administrator
The reason for us not making a mandrake draught: well, it hit me just as I sat down at the computer. We probably won't be making a Wolfsbane Potion, either. I hope we make some of these non-Trio potions post Book 7.
I really hope they won't let us make a Wolfsbane Potion.  I like that this is a difficult potion to brew and very few people can make it successfully, and therefore Lupin had to rely on Snape to make him this potion in PoA.  At least that's the impression I get from the book.  If they let all of us brew this potion on Pottermore, that would cheapen the potion and make it less special, in my mind.
:snape: :lupin:
March 29, 2013, 09:16:52 PM
Reply #35

BillieMac

And what if, post-Hogwarts, we get virtual jobs, ss19? Any of us who became Healers would be making Mandrake Draughts and Wolfsbane Potions then. Also Pepper-Up, Skele-Gro, and others that I can't remember right now. (Not that it would help me any. The most I expect for my Potions OWL is "acceptable".)

Of course, that's assuming Pottermore does have life after Hogwarts. Considering the problems we've encountered so far, they might not be up to it.
April 06, 2013, 10:58:01 PM
Reply #36

BillieMac

I re-read PoA, noting what potions we will be making when they finally get around to putting the next Chapters up. We'll be making a Shrinking Solution and a Confusing Concoction. Those are the only two potions besides Wolfsbsane mentioned in the book.
With the Shrinking Solution we'll finally be be using that shrivelfig that kind of jumps out at you (because of the size and bright colour) on the apothecary shelf.
Don't any of the Pottermore designers ever go to the supermarket? Figs are shriveled when shipped, because they have to be dried for packaging.
April 09, 2013, 01:34:28 AM
Reply #37

ss19

• Administrator
And what if, post-Hogwarts, we get virtual jobs, ss19? Any of us who became Healers would be making Mandrake Draughts and Wolfsbane Potions then. Also Pepper-Up, Skele-Gro, and others that I can't remember right now. (Not that it would help me any. The most I expect for my Potions OWL is "acceptable".)

Of course, that's assuming Pottermore does have life after Hogwarts. Considering the problems we've encountered so far, they might not be up to it.
Well, I could be wrong, but the impression I get from reading the books is that not just any Healer would be capable of making Wolfsbane.  If it were so readily available and any werewolf could just go get the potion from a Healer once a month, then being a werewolf wouldn't be as much of a problem as it's made out to be in the books.

Lupin said he was grateful to Snape for making him the potion and sparing him the suffering each month while he was teaching at Hogwarts in PoA.  If Lupin could have just gone to St. Mungos for the potion instead, he wouldn't have had to rely on Snape.  This made me think that it's a difficult potion to make and not many Healers can make it.
April 09, 2013, 09:37:54 PM
Reply #38

roonwit

Well, I could be wrong, but the impression I get from reading the books is that not just any Healer would be capable of making Wolfsbane.  If it were so readily available and any werewolf could just go get the potion from a Healer once a month, then being a werewolf wouldn't be as much of a problem as it's made out to be in the books.
In the chapter after the last one Pottermore has released so far Lupin says
I have never been much of a potion-brewer and this one is particularly complex.
so I suspect few people would be able to make it.
Lupin said he was grateful to Snape for making him the potion and sparing him the suffering each month while he was teaching at Hogwarts in PoA.  If Lupin could have just gone to St. Mungos for the potion instead, he wouldn't have had to rely on Snape.  This made me think that it's a difficult potion to make and not many Healers can make it.
I agree it must be difficult for Lupin to get it at St. Mungo's. I imagine that they would have a supply for their own use (for example for a werewolf being treated at the hospital during the full moon), but they probably charge for a regular supply because it would be expensive due to the difficulty in making it. Thus Lupin doesn't  get wolfsbane that way because he can't afford it.
April 10, 2013, 04:28:18 PM
Reply #39

Potter2005

Chapters 8 ~ 15 are now available.   :)

Post Merge: April 10, 2013, 04:37:36 PM

Username: AshDraconis9022

House: Ravenclaw

Wand: 12 3/4 inch. Willow, unicorn core. Slightly yielding.

Pet: Owl

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:37:36 PM by Potter2005 »