October 16, 2018, 09:41:48 AM

Author Topic: Pottermore - Spoiler Free Zone  (Read 17540 times)

June 30, 2016, 09:19:15 PM
Reply #200

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Apart from the new information from Jo which I will talk about in the other thread (tommorrow as time is running out tonight), there is an "interesting" piece of defence for Slytherin House written by the Pottermore Correspondent. It DOES contain one minor piece of new information from Jo's new info on Ilvermorny, but mostly it is info from the HP books (or movies?) that the piece is based on.

https://www.pottermore.com/features/what-we-wouldnt-have-without-slytherins

And I must say, that personally I think Slytherins could have a MUCH better defence based on other grounds! :shake: This is made out of a "logic reasoning" that Xeno would love!  :jester: :lunaquibbler: Our Quibbler might well have argued such a case, but in any other context....  :o  :-\ Ewww!

OK, so obviously this is argued by someone going out of their way to find positive things to say and adding not so little humour to the mix - BUT....
1) There are much better arguments that can be found.
2) A claim that if Slytherin House did not exist, then its pupils wouldn't either (or would else behave utterly different), it would mean that no one, ever, needed to be saved either in the wildly argumentative paragraphs.... So the point of them are...?

Anyone else who don't think this is one of the more brilliant pieces? (I might better add that I usually like reading them.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:22:03 PM by Evreka »
June 30, 2016, 11:00:27 PM
Reply #201

roonwit

Apart from the new information from Jo which I will talk about in the other thread (tommorrow as time is running out tonight), there is an "interesting" piece of defence for Slytherin House written by the Pottermore Correspondent. It DOES contain one minor piece of new information from Jo's new info on Ilvermorny, but mostly it is info from the HP books (or movies?) that the piece is based on.

https://www.pottermore.com/features/what-we-wouldnt-have-without-slytherins

And I must say, that personally I think Slytherins could have a MUCH better defence based on other grounds! :shake: This is made out of a "logic reasoning" that Xeno would love!  :jester: :lunaquibbler: Our Quibbler might well have argued such a case, but in any other context....  :o  :-\ Ewww!
I see what you mean. In places the piece claims that Slytherin House has had positive effects because some Slytherins have prevented bad outcomes resulting from the actions of other Slytherins. I also agree that it credits Slytherin House for the actions of some of its members who may well have acted the same way if they had been sorted into a different house.