June 22, 2018, 04:30:44 AM

Author Topic: Pottermore - Spoiler Free Zone  (Read 16286 times)

April 10, 2013, 07:49:05 PM
Reply #40

BillieMac

Chapters 8 ~ 15 are now available.   :)

Took them long enough.

Eta: I just went through them. They were ok, I guess. Too many one Moment Chapters. I think we picked up more than 10 galleons, but I wasn't really paying attention to the amount. I was getting rid of them as quickly as I could, in order to keep my vault at 394 G/.
And after all that, there was no "Substitute Teacher" Moment. :'( :snape:

And no PoA Potions yet?! If we don't get any at all, that'll mess up my whole Pottermore notebook. I've got the pages reserved.

I need to gift a lot of things in order to find them again, so I can write the locations down in my notebook. I want to list the objects, found books and BB's Beans in the order in which they were found. I'll post a list Friday, to see if anyone wants something specific.
A lot of the objects I could remember where they were, but some things I'm not sure which Book they were in. The salt and pepper pots for example- were they on the Dursley's table, or the Weasley's?

With the found books, I'm hopelessly mixed up on which chapter they were in, so I'm gifting them all, but there's one I'm sure I haven't found.
Remember the book they added late to PS? Could someone please tell me the title, the exact Chapter (I know it 's one of the library Moments), how many zoom-ins, and which shelf?
There's a few PoA books I'm not sure of, either. (Also, what's Nature's Nobility doing here before OotP?)

The Potions ingredients and CF cards I'm on top of. Both are listed alphabetically once I have them all, and the ingredients are noted with evact Chapter and Moment.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:28:24 PM by BillieMac »
April 11, 2013, 09:23:34 PM
Reply #41

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
A lot of the objects I could remember where they were, but some things I'm not sure which Book they were in. The salt and pepper pots for example- were they on the Dursley's table, or the Weasley's?
I'm 98% sure they are from PS/SS, and the Dursleys table.
April 11, 2013, 10:30:57 PM
Reply #42

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
I really enjoyed the Pottermore chapter moments. I hope they don't put so few out in an attempt to get them out quicker, but I suppose that in the future they could always go back and add more once they've finished the seven books. But they're still the highlight of the site for me, even in small quantities.

With the found books, I'm hopelessly mixed up on which chapter they were in, so I'm gifting them all, but there's one I'm sure I haven't found.
Remember the book they added late to PS? Could someone please tell me the title, the exact Chapter (I know it 's one of the library Moments), how many zoom-ins, and which shelf?
There's a few PoA books I'm not sure of, either. (Also, what's Nature's Nobility doing here before OotP?)
They put one book in late for the Book of Spells when they brought out that video game. I think it's in chapter 12, moment 1 when you zoom all the way in and it's in the second bookshelf from the back wall, as it were, and about the second shelf down from the top. I hope that makes sense as directions go lol.

Edit: realising I've not done this:

Username: QuillStone22

House: Hufflepuff

Wand: Pear and Phoenix Feather, 10 3/4 in, surprisingly swishy

Pet: barn owl
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:02:44 AM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
April 12, 2013, 08:41:11 PM
Reply #43

BillieMac

98% is good enough for me, Evreka. Thanks.

Nelly, I checked where you said, and no book came up. Do you know the title, so I can see if I have it?
Eta: Found it. Way up on a high shelf in the resricted section. Now I have to wait until I can get into Victoria to see exactly what the h***  that video is. No sound card here.

Okay, I've got the following objects I'm sure of, in order of finding:
Alarm Clock, Salt and Pepper Pots, Postcard from London, Hammer and Nails, Sea Shell, Slimy Seaweed. Am I missing anything yet?

Here's the list of objects I'm not sure about, and may therefore be gifting:
Sherbet Lemon- Associated with Dumbledore, in canon Chapter 1. Pottermore Chapter 1, Moment 2 or 3?
Sponge- Is it in The Hut on the Rock, or one of the hospital Moments in Cos?
Fire Tongs- Is it PS Chapter 4 Moment 2, or CoS?
Glass Phials and Protective Gloves- Purchased or found? If found, where?
Quill- PS or Cos?
Pile of Bertie Bott's Beans- Chapter six, Moment 2, right? Just want to be sure.
Rock Cake- Chapter 8, Hagrid's Hut. First zoom-in, right?
Wizard's Chess Set: Charms Class, or Christmas at Hogwarts?

I'm pretty sure everything else is from Books 2 and 3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hold onto your (pointed) hats, my Friends. The books are coming your way.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:44:56 PM by BillieMac »
April 13, 2013, 04:00:07 AM
Reply #44

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Nelly, I checked where you said, and no book came up. Do you know the title, so I can see if I have it?
Eta: Found it. Way up on a high shelf in the resricted section. Now I have to wait until I can get into Victoria to see exactly what the h***  that video is. No sound card here.
Sorry, my rubbish directions!

Okay, I've got the following objects I'm sure of, in order of finding:
Alarm Clock, Salt and Pepper Pots, Postcard from London, Hammer and Nails, Sea Shell, Slimy Seaweed. Am I missing anything yet?
Well there's objects you pick up and can't gift, like the shopping list and vault key, and the dragon egg, the snitch, the remembrall and the winged key.

There's also the candle and old cup in the two hut-on-the-rock moments (chapter 4 moment 1 for the candle and moment 2 for the old cup), the Prefect badge at Platform 9 3/4,

Here's the list of objects I'm not sure about, and may therefore be gifting:
Sherbet Lemon- Associated with Dumbledore, in canon Chapter 1. Pottermore Chapter 1, Moment 2 or 3?
Sponge- Is it in The Hut on the Rock, or one of the hospital Moments in Cos?
Fire Tongs- Is it PS Chapter 4 Moment 2, or CoS?
Glass Phials and Protective Gloves- Purchased or found? If found, where?
Quill- PS or Cos?
Pile of Bertie Bott's Beans- Chapter six, Moment 2, right? Just want to be sure.
Rock Cake- Chapter 8, Hagrid's Hut. First zoom-in, right?
Wizard's Chess Set: Charms Class, or Christmas at Hogwarts?
Sherbert lemon - is in fact in CoS, chapter 12
Sponge - CoS and yeah it's the hospital in chapter 10
Glass phials you buy, protective gloves, in CoS chapter 6
Fire tongs - forgot we even had that, pretty sure is in CoS
Quill - CoS
Bertie Bott's Beans - yeah, chapter 6 moment 2
Rock cake - yeah I think you're right
Wizard's chess set - Christmas at Hogwarts, in a cracker.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:01:59 AM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
April 13, 2013, 11:30:08 AM
Reply #45

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
April 13, 2013, 12:44:15 PM
Reply #46

blue_dreamer

Name: WitchPotion25817 << how am I supposed to remember that?!
Wand:Cypress with Unicorn core, 10 3/4 inches, reasonably supple
House: Ravenclaw  :ravenclawc:
Pet: Tawny Owl.

Loving exploring new chapters on Pottermore. The artwork is simply exquisite and really good for showing book moments as opposed to film moment. Am finding it hard to brew potions (who isn't?) and gain lots of house points, I honestly don't know how some people get so many!
April 13, 2013, 07:45:20 PM
Reply #47

BillieMac

Thanks, Nelly. The things I didn't list were ones I remembered where they are, but not if something else came before them. I'd located their positions using a trick for an older computer- while the page is loading, the object shows briefly, so look sharp.
Other objects didn't show, but I remembered where the Prefect's badge was. I found it often enough while looking for my Hogwart's Express ticket, which I was later informed doesn't exist.
Others, like the fire tongs and quill, I couldn't remember which Book, but knew which moment to look in once I got the Book straight.
The thing that still puzzles me is Lockhart's Guide to Household Pests. Why is it  non giftable? I was using conon as my guide to the set books, and it's not there. The first mention is in chapter three, when Molly pulls it out to look up garden gnomes. (Which tells me where I found it.)

Nelly, you didn't tell me which Chapter or Moment the quill is in, and I for got to ask about the grey feather, so I'll be gifting them both to you, so I can find them. (I suspect the feather is in Charms Class.)

I speculated on Leaky that the last CF card will be Harry, but when each Book's cards are listed alphabetically, the odds are now 2 to 7 of it being Snape. The last PoA one will be telling, and I'll explain then.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:12:56 PM by BillieMac »
April 14, 2013, 12:15:51 PM
Reply #48

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Hope we can collect food from the Weasley kitchen in future books!

BillieMac, thanks for the Chocoball! :D
April 14, 2013, 07:24:09 PM
Reply #49

roonwit

The thing that still puzzles me is Lockhart's Guide to Household Pests. Why is it  non giftable? I was using conon as my guide to the set books, and it's not there. The first mention is in chapter three, when Molly pulls it out to look up garden gnomes. (Which tells me where I found it.)
Ungiftable items also include rewards for completing challenges, and Gilderoy Lockhart's Guide to Household Pests is the reward for de-gnoming the garden.
April 14, 2013, 09:47:59 PM
Reply #50

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Ungiftable items also include rewards for completing challenges, and Gilderoy Lockhart's Guide to Household Pests is the reward for de-gnoming the garden.
Oh, that's where it came from!  :fredgeorge: I'd forgotten that, but I really love the humour in that connection!  :fredgeorge:

It's a good thing we've already degnomed it when we receive it, too. If we'd read it first I guess we'd sent all gnomes inside our house instead if we followed its advices...   :gryffindorc:

(Unless those advices too are really somebody else's than Mr Lockhart's own....  :lockhart: )
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:51:20 PM by Evreka »
April 17, 2013, 08:10:55 PM
Reply #51

BillieMac

Loving exploring new chapters on Pottermore. The artwork is simply exquisite and really good for showing book moments as opposed to film moment. Am finding it hard to brew potions (who isn't?) and gain lots of house points, I honestly don't know how some people get so many!
Put simply, Blue Dreamer, they cheat at dueling. There was a discussion in Leaky Cauldron's Pottermore forum. (I can't recall which thread just now.) You should check it out.
Read the Potions thread there, too. The problems you're having have probably been discussed. Unfortunately, the best solution, a new top of the line computer, seems to be out of most fans' price range.

Evreka, the Guide to Household Pests isn't the only thing with a humourous connection. The vomit flavoured BB Bean is in the Lockhart's Valentine's party Moment.
Btw, I'll be gifting all the beans except that one. (Because I know where it's from.)
Eta: I've now gifted the beans, and discovered that the Sugared Violet one is ungiftable. What task was it the prize for? If it wasn't a prize, where was it, and why is it ungiftable?

You're welcome, Hermione P. Did you like the Strawberry BB Bean?

Now that I'm earning some decent money, I'm going to buy myself a new computer for Christmas. I'm considering a tablet, because I don't want anything smaller, and I've been thinking that a touch-screen would be better for Potions- because of its closer resemblance to real life cooking. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:32:30 PM by BillieMac »
April 17, 2013, 10:59:08 PM
Reply #52

roonwit

Eta: I've now gifted the beans, and discovered that the Sugared Violet one is ungiftable. What task was it the prize for? If it wasn't a prize, where was it, and why is it ungiftable?
It is the reward for temporarily stopping Aunt Petunia's whipped cream and sugared violets pudding crashing to the floor.
April 18, 2013, 10:57:13 PM
Reply #53

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Now that I'm earning some decent money, I'm going to buy myself a new computer for Christmas. I'm considering a tablet, because I don't want anything smaller, and I've been thinking that a touch-screen would be better for Potions- because of its closer resemblance to real life cooking. What do you guys think?
We need a thread like the one on Leaky Lounge for you to post, "You know you're a big Harry Potter fan when you base your computer purchasing decision on which one would be best for Pottermore Potions."  :fredgeorge:

I don't know if you meant to say that you don't want anything bigger, because between a PC/Mac, a laptop, and a tablet, a tablet is the smallest.  A tablet is small and lightweight and portable, but it is typically less powerful and has limited functionality compared to a PC or laptop.  There are some things that you can't do (or can't do as well) on a tablet.  On an Apple iPad, for example, you cannot brew Pottermore potions at all because you can't run Adobe Flash Player on it, which is required for potions and for dueling.  I don't have first-hand experience with this, but as far as I know, some of the other tablets do allow you to brew potions, though my guess would be that potions would be more difficult to brew on a tablet than on a normal PC due to the fact that Pottermore (as a whole, not just potions) isn't designed or optimized for touch screens/tablets.

Before you buy a new tablet, I would definitely try potions on the model you're considering first, either by finding a friend who has one for you to borrow, or by trying it in a computer store.  Some other websites than Pottermore might be more difficult to navigate on a tablet also, so you might want to try your favorite websites on a tablet as well before making the decision.

Also, keep in mind that technology moves so fast that by Christmas time things might be different than they are now.  Come to think of it, some of what I wrote above might already be out of date without me knowing it.  As for future changes, I did read that Android tablets will stop supporting Flash Player in future versions, for one thing.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:28:53 PM by ss19 »
April 19, 2013, 08:18:33 PM
Reply #54

BillieMac

It is the reward for temporarily stopping Aunt Petunia's whipped cream and sugared violets pudding crashing to the floor.
I figured that out as the library door was being locked behind me, roonwit, LOL. I've got it written down in my notebook, now.

We need a thread like the one on Leaky Lounge for you to post, "You know you're a big Harry Potter fan when you base your computer purchasing decision on which one would be best for Pottermore Potions."  :fredgeorge:
I like that,  lol. Mind if I quote it when I pop into Leaky tomorrow?

I don't know if you meant to say that you don't want anything bigger, because between a PC/Mac, a laptop, and a tablet, a tablet is the smallest.
I mean I don't want a hand-held. Sure, they're handy for a lot of things, but I don't want a cell phone of any kind until I can get the same long distance deal and free local as on my land line.

A tablet is small and lightweight and portable, but it is typically less powerful and has limited functionality compared to a PC or laptop.  There are some things that you can't do (or can't do as well) on a tablet.  On an Apple iPad, for example, you cannot brew Pottermore potions at all because you can't run Adobe Flash Player on it, which is required for potions and for dueling.  I don't have first-hand experience with this, but as far as I know, some of the other tablets do allow you to brew potions, though my guess would be that potions would be more difficult to brew on a tablet than on a normal PC due to the fact that Pottermore (as a whole, not just potions) isn't designed or optimized for touch screens/tablets.
Thanks for the info, ss19. Too bad about Pottermore and touch screens. You'd think, from the look of it, that Pottermore Potions and touch screens would be a perfect fit.
I was mostly influenced by my mouse problems with my old computer, and CNN's "magic wall", which is an excellent size for what I had in mind.
Before you buy a new tablet, I would definitely try potions on the model you're considering first, either by finding a friend who has one for you to borrow, or by trying it in a computer store.  Some other websites than Pottermore might be more difficult to navigate on a tablet also, so you might want to try your favorite websites on a tablet as well before making the decision.
London Drugs also sells computers, and the clerks in the branch in my boyfriend's neighbourhood are old enough to help me. The kids that computer stores hire around here have never heard of floppy discs. My general clumsiness is another caveat, so it looks like a laptop, kept on my desk, might  be best.

Also, keep in mind that technology moves so fast that by Christmas time things might be different than they are now.  Come to think of it, some of what I wrote above might already be out of date without me knowing it.
No kidding! I hate that.

Has anyone found more than one PoA BB's Bean? All I've found so far is the grass flavoured one.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:38:22 PM by BillieMac »
April 19, 2013, 11:13:42 PM
Reply #55

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I like that,  lol. Mind if I quote it when I pop into Leaky tomorrow?
Nope, I don't mind at all if you quote that.  But good luck trying to put that on Leaky Lounge.  The Lounge has been "broken" for over a month now and counting.  Real humans aren't able to log in or post in the forums at all, while the spambots have been continuing to register (or log in) and post in record numbers.   There are literally thousands and thousands of spambot posts all over the Lounge.  It's so sad...  :'( :'( :'(

I don't know if you meant to say that you don't want anything bigger, because between a PC/Mac, a laptop, and a tablet, a tablet is the smallest.
I mean I don't want a hand-held. Sure, they're handy for a lot of things, but I don't want a cell phone of any kind until I can get the same long distance deal and free local as on my land line.
Oh, I see.  That makes sense now.  I don't think you can do anything on Pottermore on any hand-held device.  That's why in my mind you would be choosing between a PC, a laptop, and a tablet, with hand-held devices not being an option at all.  Most websites that work on hand-held devices have a separate version that works on the tiny screen, but Pottermore doesn't have such a version that I'm aware of.

My general clumsiness is another caveat, so it looks like a laptop, kept on my desk, might  be best.
If clumsiness is an issue, you might be better off with a PC rather than a laptop.  I find laptop keyboards more difficult to use because they're smaller and the keys are more flat and more connected and it's much easier to press the wrong (neighboring) keys.  Also, if you just want to keep your laptop on your desk all the time and don't need to move it around, there's no need to pay the extras for one.  For the same price, you would get a faster and more powerful PC that lasts longer than a laptop.  Laptops are very convenient though, when you need to travel or take it with you when you go over to your boyfriend's or something like that, or even just move to a different room in your house.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:22:33 PM by ss19 »
April 20, 2013, 11:00:35 PM
Reply #56

BillieMac

If clumsiness is an issue, you might be better off with a PC rather than a laptop.  I find laptop keyboards more difficult to use because they're smaller and the keys are more flat and more connected and it's much easier to press the wrong (neighboring) keys.  Also, if you just want to keep your laptop on your desk all the time and don't need to move it around, there's no need to pay the extras for one.  For the same price, you would get a faster and more powerful PC that lasts longer than a laptop.  Laptops are very convenient though, when you need to travel or take it with you when you go over to your boyfriend's or something like that, or even just move to a different room in your house.
I want a laptop because I have a sewing machine now, which would have to time share my desk with a computer. Imagine the hassle of moving a desktop every thime I need to hem new jeans or patch old ones. I never had problems with the laptop keyboard- it was the mousepad, which reqires both hands, making it difficult to hold a book at the same time. I've since found the right style of bookstand.
April 26, 2013, 07:48:58 PM
Reply #57

BillieMac

The first thing I checked (after my e-mail) was the House Cup results. It would have been nice if they'd finished the Book first.

I tried to post on the message board, but "Umbridge" wouldn't let me use the word or numeral four. What I really want to say about that would get me booted from the Station.

I'm having trouble re-finding the BB Beans in Book 1. I'm sure I've seen a few as I go through the chapters, but they're not popping up. Is there a time limit I didn't know about with these things?

Now, I don't want to be gifted any back- I just want to know where they were found, so I can write them down in order of finding. Where should I be looking for:
Bogey, Liver & Tripe, Sausage, Sprout and Toast?
Also, shouldn't there have been an earwax flavoured one in Chapter 17? I don't recall ever collecting one.

Again, has anyone found a second Bean in PoA, or is Grass the only one?

While searching for beans, I found a previously missed object in CoS; a key. It's in Chapter 14, Moment 2, at Hagrid's right foot. On the second double click, you have to move quickly to collect it, before the door shuts with the key inside.
Does anyone have any idea what, if anything, it opens? Its location suggests that it's the key to Hagrid's house, but as he's "Keeper of the Keys", it could be to anything. Also, I don't recall any time in canon when Harry needed to unlock Hagrid's house.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:35:38 PM by BillieMac »
April 26, 2013, 11:00:51 PM
Reply #58

roonwit

I'm having trouble re-finding the BB Beans in Book 1. I'm sure I've seen a few as I go through the chapters, but they're not popping up. Is there a time limit I didn't know about with these things?

Now, I don't want to be gifted any back- I just want to know where they were found, so I can write them down in order of finding. Where should I be looking for:
The Bogey one is book 2 not 1, as is Liver & Tripe and Toast ones, the sausage one is is book 3, but the sprout flavour one is on the Hogwart's Express.
Again, has anyone found a second Bean in PoA, or is Grass the only one?
Only the one mentioned above.
While searching for beans, I found a previously missed object in CoS; a key. It's in Chapter 14, Moment 2, at Hagrid's right foot. On the second double click, you have to move quickly to collect it, before the door shuts with the key inside.
Does anyone have any idea what, if anything, it opens? Its location suggests that it's the key to Hagrid's house, but as he's "Keeper of the Keys", it could be to anything. Also, I don't recall any time in canon when Harry needed to unlock Hagrid's house.
I had missed that as well. I wonder if they add objects occasionally.
April 27, 2013, 10:55:30 AM
Reply #59

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Has everyone got the hidden items and Galleons on Pottermore?

http://www.gryffinroar.com/pottermore-glitches1.html

The first thing I checked (after my e-mail) was the House Cup results. It would have been nice if they'd finished the Book first.

I tried to post on the message board, but "Umbridge" wouldn't let me use the word or numeral four. What I really want to say about that would get me booted from the Station.

How to write numbers on Pottermore: one, to/too, tree, for/fore, hive, sicks, heaven/se.ven, ate, mine, IO...

Sprout bean: Book 2, Chapter 1, Moment 1, on bottom shelf in Harry's cupboard

Toast bean (glitched): Book 2, Chapter 3, Moment 1, zoom out once, turn on lamp to collect from side of chair. Refer to Gryffinroar link above on how to collect it.

Liver & Tripe bean: Book 2, Chapter 9, Moment 1, zoom in once, on floor between Hermione's desk and blackboard.

Bogey bean: Book 2, Chapter 9, Moment 2, zoom in twice, on the toilet seat of Moaning Myrtle's stall

Sausage bean: Book 3, Chapter 5, Moment 1, near window ledge
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:18:59 PM by Hermione P »