December 19, 2018, 02:49:33 PM

Author Topic: Pottermore Canon - BEWARE OF SPOILERS  (Read 14331 times)

January 20, 2014, 06:59:27 PM
Reply #20

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Interestingly, today I ventured into GOF at Pottermore for the first time, and in the Moment Beauxbatons we learn a bit more about this school directly from Jo, some of its alumni, and where it is roughly located. The next Moment The Ship, holds more info about Durmstrang, some of its Headmasters, students and the like, but its whereabouts is not clarified at all, in fact the only thing mentioned is that it is rumoured to be in northern Europe, but may in fact be someplace else - as opposed to northern Scandinavia or northern Sweden or Norway. Maybe I am reading too much into this; but I do wonder if Jo has changed her mind at some point during the 13 years that has passed since the reading in December 2000.

For instance, I think it might be possible that she has learnt more about the Scandinavian countries and found some of the contradictions that make it so unlikely a location for a school with students from Eastern Europe (language for one thing), or possibly it's a political decision of not burdening any one country with a school that wilfully teaches Dark Magic... ;) Do you think she's changed her mind, forgotten about the old reading and any related old notes, or is it a political move to not pinpoint it to any one country?  :mcgonagall2:
Beauxbatons has definitely moved from somewhere near Cannes to the Pyrenees. It isn't necessarily a problem for Eastern European students to study at at Durmstrang if it is located in Scandinavia as Beauxbatons has students who don't have French as their native language (it might be multilingual, or have some magic to translate). However I don't recall seeing any Scandinavian names associated with Durmstrang, and the founder was Bulgarian, so it doesn't seem likely it is in Scandinavia.
Certainly, one can always argue how much IRL facts one should acknowledge when discussing things such as how likely it is for a magical school to appear anywhere in particular, but seeing as the logic usually holds, there are many ways in which Sweden and Norway seem to be odd places. You're right about the possibility of a translating magic and that it might void the language objection, although we hear nothing about it in GOF, despite having foreign visitors all year long. I think most of the countries mentioned as homes for Beaxbatons students, have french/italian/spanish as a common ground. While it is different languages for sure, they are all latin based, and comparatively close.

Likewise Eastern Europe and Russia have (at least since the 1940's) had Russia as a common language; also many languages in the Eastern Europe is Slavic languages which ought to mean they are similar to a certain level, whereas there is not one language that the average eastern European have in common with the average Swede/Norwegian, except nowadays, possibly, English. In Sweden and Norway most people study their own language, (very briefly) other Scandinavian languages, and English. Eastern Europe, until recently, did not normally study English, I think? Of course, more languages are studied in these countries, but not among ALL students.

Further, you're right about none of the names mentioned for Durmstrang to have even a remote Scandinavian ring to it.

On the subject of schools I find it interesting that Jo now says there are only eleven magical schools, which seems a smallish number considering that Europe has at least three. Also Durmstrang can't have won the triwizard tournament very often (it has been going around 700 years so there can't have been much more than 140 tournaments, probably less as it sounds like there have been periods when it didn't happen, but Hogwarts and Beauxbatons have 125 victories between them).
Well.... math has never been her strong suit... I'm not entirely convinced she has done the math involved here....

When it comes to the schools, I guess it might be that certain areas teach their children more locally or that she's simply placed a certain amount in various continents or something? I didn't react on a small number here, me either, instead I was intrigued and interested in knowing about the other eight!  :fredgeorge:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:02:05 PM by Evreka »
March 23, 2014, 04:10:33 PM
Reply #21

roonwit

In the recently posted information from Jo on the results of recent Quidditch World Cups there are a lot of details about the upcoming 2014 World Cup. Does anyone else think there may be further updates on this World Cup, perhaps even come sort of interactive involvement on Pottermore? Perhaps we should each be picking a team to follow.
March 23, 2014, 04:41:03 PM
Reply #22

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
In the recently posted information from Jo on the results of recent Quidditch World Cups there are a lot of details about the upcoming 2014 World Cup. Does anyone else think there may be further updates on this World Cup, perhaps even come sort of interactive involvement on Pottermore? Perhaps we should each be picking a team to follow.
I must have missed this new info... Are there new updates at Pottermore, or is the source another?
March 23, 2014, 04:55:43 PM
Reply #23

roonwit

I must have missed this new info... Are there new updates at Pottermore, or is the source another?
Over the past couple of weeks Jo has posted three updates (with corresponding posts on her twitter feed), one on Scottish Rugby and two on the history of the Quidditch World Cup. These have been added to the Quidditch World Cup campsite and stadium moments.
March 23, 2014, 04:58:35 PM
Reply #24

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Over the past couple of weeks Jo has posted three updates (with corresponding posts on her twitter feed), one on Scottish Rugby and two on the history of the Quidditch World Cup. These have been added to the Quidditch World Cup campsite and stadium moments.
Thanks a lot for the information!  :thumbup: I don't login there all the time, I only try to login with enough frequency not to risk loosing my account.
March 29, 2014, 09:27:46 AM
Reply #25

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
This new information does seem a bit exciting, I wonder if it will come to any more interactiveness, than a poll at Pottermore Insider, though... But I think some form of update is likely. The finals seem to always be held in August, I guess, seeing the comment on the Final no one remembers..., so I guess the final will take place in August...  :hmm:  The preceding matches need to start happening at some point, but maybe those won't be interactive at all?  :mcgonagall2:

On another note, isn't the Scottish Rugby info on Pottermore a lot longer than what was spread through Twitter earlier? I don't remember reading the full Buchanan information before? Anyway, are there any more people who felt desperately sorry for little Angus, age 11,  :'( and wondered what the following years were like for the other ten children, particularly the two older ones who tried to deceive their parents?  :(
April 14, 2014, 10:08:38 PM
Reply #26

roonwit

This new information does seem a bit exciting, I wonder if it will come to any more interactiveness, than a poll at Pottermore Insider, though... But I think some form of update is likely. The finals seem to always be held in August, I guess, seeing the comment on the Final no one remembers..., so I guess the final will take place in August...  :hmm:  The preceding matches need to start happening at some point, but maybe those won't be interactive at all?  :mcgonagall2:
It sounds like we will be getting Quidditch updates together with a new place to visit in Diagon Alley according to Pottermore Insider. Insider also had a poll about which team you were supporting, though that seems to have gone now.
On another note, isn't the Scottish Rugby info on Pottermore a lot longer than what was spread through Twitter earlier? I don't remember reading the full Buchanan information before? Anyway, are there any more people who felt desperately sorry for little Angus, age 11,  :'( and wondered what the following years were like for the other ten children, particularly the two older ones who tried to deceive their parents?  :(
I haven't noticed any changes to the Pottermore version, though of course they only told a bit of the story outside Pottermore itself. Incidentally, Angus is the third son and it likely he has older sisters, including Flora.
April 15, 2014, 04:29:46 AM
Reply #27

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
It sounds like we will be getting Quidditch updates together with a new place to visit in Diagon Alley according to Pottermore Insider. Insider also had a poll about which team you were supporting, though that seems to have gone now.
Thanks for the update, roonwit! The poll isn't gone, I just took it, it just doesn't show if you've taken it, so you can't see what anyone has answered.

I wish there was a comment field, because I think I'd go for two or three teams really:
Norway - as Sweden isn't competing, this is closest to home!
Bulgaria - for Krum's sake
Maybe Wales - for being part of the UK. :)  (And hence HP's homeland)

What about the rest of you?

I haven't noticed any changes to the Pottermore version, though of course they only told a bit of the story outside Pottermore itself. Incidentally, Angus is the third son and it likely he has older sisters, including Flora.
Oh? Is that how you should read "third son"? It seems to be interpreted differently in different places.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:33:18 AM by Evreka »
April 15, 2014, 06:33:03 PM
Reply #28

roonwit

Thanks for the update, roonwit! The poll isn't gone, I just took it, it just doesn't show if you've taken it, so you can't see what anyone has answered.

I wish there was a comment field, because I think I'd go for two or three teams really:
Norway - as Sweden isn't competing, this is closest to home!
Bulgaria - for Krum's sake
Maybe Wales - for being part of the UK. :)  (And hence HP's homeland)

What about the rest of you?
I am supporting Wales as the nearest team to me to qualify. Wales is also mentioned in the 1990-2014 Quidditch World Cup piece which may mean they do well, and Uganda isn't there to beat them this time.

The new Diagon Alley location is open now with reports of the opening ceremony and the first match from a well known Quidditch correspondent.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:35:31 PM by roonwit »
April 16, 2014, 12:01:03 AM
Reply #29

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The new Diagon Alley location is open now with reports of the opening ceremony and the first match from a well known Quidditch correspondent.
Thanks for the heads-up!  :hug: It's great fun to read, I recommend it warmly to all HP fans! This is worth logging in for, even if you rarely do!  :fredgeorgequidditch:  :snitch:
May 11, 2014, 05:27:23 AM
Reply #30

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Given that Singapore is far from qualifying for the Muggle and presumably the Quidditch World Cups, I will be supporting Japan and New Zealand.
May 15, 2014, 06:46:57 PM
Reply #31

roonwit

Given that Singapore is far from qualifying for the Muggle and presumably the Quidditch World Cups, I will be supporting Japan and New Zealand.
They could play each other in the final if they get that far. Pottermore Insider now has a chart of of the Draw which they are updating with the results, and we have two more game reports with at least one more expected this week. Jo has also tweeted that the family is expected to join Ginny for the final.
May 15, 2014, 07:27:54 PM
Reply #32

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
They could play each other in the final if they get that far. Pottermore Insider now has a chart of of the Draw which they are updating with the results, and we have two more game reports with at least one more expected this week. Jo has also tweeted that the family is expected to join Ginny for the final.
The second Daily Prophet report is now up!

Oh, I love that Harry will get to see another QWC final, and that he brings the kids too.  :hug:

I daresay, these two last matches have two very disgruntled defeated teams in the outcome. It would be interesting to know if the seventh team member in both of them survives the nearest weeks...  :P
May 15, 2014, 09:18:20 PM
Reply #33

roonwit

I daresay, these two last matches have two very disgruntled defeated teams in the outcome. It would be interesting to know if the seventh team member in both of them survives the nearest weeks...  :P
The first one is understandable, but I do wonder if anyone can accidentally mess things up quite so badly as happened in the second one. I wonder if they have match fixing or betting scandals in Quidditch.
May 16, 2014, 05:37:55 AM
Reply #34

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
If that happens I will support Japan. I remember during the 2002 Muggle World Cup a lot of Singaporeans were supporting Korea in the third place match.
May 16, 2014, 08:44:09 PM
Reply #35

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The first one is understandable, but I do wonder if anyone can accidentally mess things up quite so badly as happened in the second one. I wonder if they have match fixing or betting scandals in Quidditch.
Well... It seems unlikely that Beater Bloncourt will get another chance at participating in a World Cup ever again, I would hope! And you certainly have a point. I'm sure national teams can mis-hit Bludgers too, but to that extent?  :what: And what were the odds he'd knock his Seeker out right before they catch the Snitch and then go on blundering about like that? It does seem odd...

We now have a third match played as well USA versus Jamaica, where more controversies took place - or did it?

Pottermore Insider had a poll about the USA/Jamaica incident on what people thought was the cause behind it. Interestingly the choice most believed in turned out to be "true". Do you think this is a coincedence (as they make it sound as) or the reason that optioned turned out top be "true"? Personally, though I am a bit torn, I am leaning towards the poll results being in on the decision making...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:50:05 PM by Evreka »
May 19, 2014, 12:13:35 AM
Reply #36

roonwit

Pottermore Insider had a poll about the USA/Jamaica incident on what people thought was the cause behind it. Interestingly the choice most believed in turned out to be "true". Do you think this is a coincedence (as they make it sound as) or the reason that optioned turned out top be "true"? Personally, though I am a bit torn, I am leaning towards the poll results being in on the decision making...
The poll still seems to be open for me, so it might just be people voting when already knowing what actually happened. I think the match reports are pre-written (now at least), so all the match results have already been determined.
May 19, 2014, 07:57:53 PM
Reply #37

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The poll still seems to be open for me, so it might just be people voting when already knowing what actually happened. I think the match reports are pre-written (now at least), so all the match results have already been determined.
It was open to me on the day I wrote that, too, but the post after the poll, which announced the outcome of the investigation, explicitly mentions the poll result as it stood when it was posted. I just think it's interesting that a majority was "right" about the outcome. Of course it might be because the most logical alternative besides the winning one would have been that an American cheated, and assuming a lot of Americans voted....  :angel:  :devil:  ;) Or it might just be a true coincedence. :)

I do agree that pre-written material seems most likely on the whole as Jo otherwise had very little time to write the chosen report up - unless Pottermore had three different ones available, just in case? But then again, why would the result of that match particularly was up for us to decide upon, as the others haven't been?  :-\  I guess, you have a good point of it being predecided. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:01:23 PM by Evreka »
May 20, 2014, 03:05:03 PM
Reply #38

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
New Zealand is out of the running. :( I hope Japan will go on to the next round.
May 20, 2014, 07:49:28 PM
Reply #39

roonwit

New Zealand is out of the running. :( I hope Japan will go on to the next round.
Though it seems Ron was wrong in Harry's first Quidditch match, and you can send people off. Of course they might have changed the rules since then just as Hagrid suggested.