June 22, 2018, 04:28:38 AM

Author Topic: Pottermore Canon - BEWARE OF SPOILERS  (Read 13001 times)

May 20, 2014, 09:22:46 PM
Reply #40

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
New Zealand is out of the running. :( I hope Japan will go on to the next round.
Though it seems Ron was wrong in Harry's first Quidditch match, and you can send people off. Of course they might have changed the rules since then just as Hagrid suggested.
I wonder if it is Jo who has forgotten some early made Quidditch rules?  :mcgonagall2: In the books I think that would have resulted in a penalty goal, nothing more. Unless the World Cup can have different rules than matches on school level?  :mcgonagall2: Still, isn't it odd if the rules are more forgiving on various violent moves on school level than in the World Cup?  :mcgonagall2:

Also, in Muggle sports you are never sent off for the duation of the entire match after just one incident, are you? Doesn't this sound a bit strange, too?

Also, I just took a look at the Route to Final map, and realised that it is always the European teams that have won so far... I wish Chad had won over Lichtenstein just to counter this pattern.  ???  (For Krum's sake, I am glad Bulgaria won their first match.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:25:10 PM by Evreka »
May 20, 2014, 10:39:48 PM
Reply #41

roonwit

I wonder if it is Jo who has forgotten some early made Quidditch rules?  :mcgonagall2: In the books I think that would have resulted in a penalty goal, nothing more. Unless the World Cup can have different rules than matches on school level?  :mcgonagall2: Still, isn't it odd if the rules are more forgiving on various violent moves on school level than in the World Cup?  :mcgonagall2:
It perhaps makes sense that the rules at World Cup level are stricter, as you wouldn't want to send prolong a school match by sending people off.
Curiously, under World Cup rules Harry should have won his first Quidditch match by default, because Snape - a Slytherin supporter - used magic to stop Harry being thrown off his broom, and that would presumably means that Slytherin should have been disqualified.
Also, in Muggle sports you are never sent off for the duation of the entire match after just one incident, are you? Doesn't this sound a bit strange, too?
You can get sent off at football matches (with a red card as Dean Thomas says), and in other sports as well I think, for more serious offences.
Also, I just took a look at the Route to Final map, and realised that it is always the European teams that have won so far... I wish Chad had won over Lichtenstein just to counter this pattern.  ???  (For Krum's sake, I am glad Bulgaria won their first match.)
Also mainland America (North and South) teams have all qualified so far, but island nations and African teams have all lost so far. It would take a win for Japan to break the pattern.

ETA: Of course that is wrong, Nigeria is African and have won. I think the rest of what I said was correct though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:00:46 PM by roonwit »
May 21, 2014, 09:49:12 PM
Reply #42

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Also mainland America (North and South) teams have all qualified so far, but island nations ... have all lost so far. It would take a win for Japan to break the pattern.
And now the pattern is broken. :) Congrats, HermioneP! Your favourite team won!
May 23, 2014, 09:54:22 PM
Reply #43

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Now the final match in the first round has been played too, and we get to see the dangers of a certain impressive move, OUCH!  :(

What is meant by a budgerigar, by the way? Is it really a bird? If so, is the budgerigar Klaus well-known... or?
May 23, 2014, 11:15:05 PM
Reply #44

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
What is meant by a budgerigar, by the way? Is it really a bird? If so, is the budgerigar Klaus well-known... or?
It's really a type of bird, though no-one I know calls them by their full name, just 'budgies', or parakeets. They're like parrots. I guess JKR likes them, I remember being flummoxed by the name when there's a water-skiing one on the news in OotP and looking it up then. I doubt there's a famous one called Klaus, though! Maybe Klaus was a pet he once had...

I'm loving keeping up to date with the Quidditch World Cup. Probably my favourite Pottermore new thing they've done in an age. Feels more Harry Potter-orientated, again, than game-orientated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:18:14 PM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
May 26, 2014, 04:12:53 PM
Reply #45

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Also mainland America (North and South) teams have all qualified so far, but island nations ... have all lost so far. It would take a win for Japan to break the pattern.
And now the pattern is broken. :) Congrats, HermioneP! Your favourite team won!
Fanks, I mean thanks.
June 10, 2014, 07:53:12 PM
Reply #46

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The quarter-finals of the Quidditch World Cup are now all played, one of which lead to some supporters going perhaps a tad bit far in their celebrations.  :mcgonagall2: Do check out Ginny Potter's last six articles from the Patagonian dessert. :)

With the remaining teams, I will cheer Krum on for the semi-final. ;)

Poor Hans! I must say, that sounds as a rather cruel and pointless prank...  :(
June 11, 2014, 08:04:09 PM
Reply #47

BillieMac

Krum?! He started in the '93-'94 season at the latest. It's 2014! Shouldn't he have retired from pro Quidditch by now?
June 12, 2014, 05:07:26 AM
Reply #48

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Still supporting Japan. Sorry Krum.
June 12, 2014, 08:09:50 PM
Reply #49

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Krum?! He started in the '93-'94 season at the latest. It's 2014! Shouldn't he have retired from pro Quidditch by now?
He's been retired for many years, but returned for this game - desperate for winning QWC at long last.  :console:

It's explained with more details on Pottermore, in the early articles from Ginny Potter. :)
July 08, 2014, 04:02:54 PM
Reply #50

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I just read the last edition of The Daily Prophet news story/ gossip column about the Double Trios visit to the 2014 World Cup by Rita Skeeter. It's quite a snarky article! Of the things it reveals, the most intriguing things are the new cheek scar on Harry's face and the fact that Rita is releasing a biography entitled Dumbledore's Army: The Dark Side of the Denob as of July 31st (Harry's Birthday). So this leads to speculation that  JKR may be ramping up to write some fresh tales about Harry's exploits against the dark Forces? And will Muggles be privileged to see this new book written by Rita?

I loved hearing about Neville and his wife Hannah, as well as Luna, and of course Ron and Hermione. Ginny, we know has been writing for The Daily Prophet about the World Cup - it seems much to the jealousy of Rita Skeeter! Rita even tattles about the younger generation that came along. It is worth a stop at Pottermore to read this very interesting and fun article.
July 08, 2014, 09:10:18 PM
Reply #51

roonwit

I just read the last edition of The Daily Prophet news story/ gossip column about the Double Trios visit to the 2014 World Cup by Rita Skeeter. It's quite a snarky article! Of the things it reveals, the most intriguing things are the new cheek scar on Harry's face and the fact that Rita is releasing a biography entitled Dumbledore's Army: The Dark Side of the Denob as of July 31st (Harry's Birthday). So this leads to speculation that  JKR may be ramping up to write some fresh tales about Harry's exploits against the dark Forces? And will Muggles be privileged to see this new book written by Rita?
I can't see Jo writing a full book by Rita, but the Prophet might get a review of it on 31st July. The main purpose of this new piece seems to me to confirm some of the things Jo said in interviews after DH came out, also to clarify how Ron was both an Auror and worked at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. I don't think I believe the rumour of Hannah going to Hogwarts as Matron, as then she would probably have been mentioned in the 19 years later epilogue.
July 09, 2014, 01:50:11 PM
Reply #52

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
I enjoyed reading about the present-day DA, I just wish it could have been written by a more objective reporter.

Japan was really sporting in this World Cup, I don't regret rooting for them.
July 13, 2014, 05:46:35 PM
Reply #53

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I can't see Jo writing a full book by Rita, but the Prophet might get a review of it on 31st July. The main purpose of this new piece seems to me to confirm some of the things Jo said in interviews after DH came out, also to clarify how Ron was both an Auror and worked at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.
I agree with roonwit, I don't think we'll get to read that book at all, or at the very most about as much as we did of The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore at the most.

There are now two entries about the Potters, Weasleys, Luna and Neville with families, both hilariously sporting Rita Skeeter's kind of writing. The first piece being a gossip column from Skeeter on the prominent parts of the DA arriving at the QWC final. The second is, if possible, even funnier. It's a "transcript of the live commentary" from the QWC final where Ginny Weasley comments on the game as it progresses, and Rita Skeeter comments on what goes on in the Top Box, where the Potters and the other prominent DA members sit. Not only are Ginny's comments giving us a good view of the raffling game, Rita is as incredible as usual. Given her commentary, you'd think every spectator was there to hear about the ways in which the "attenttion seeking celebrities" :mcgonagall2: in the Top Box (read Harry and all) behaves. It is a true laugh, and I can't help but think that some of Rita's commentary is pay-back time on some journalists that Jo has come across!  :lol: If so, she does it beautifully.  :lol:

Rita, of course, have no interest in the game and since she doesn't take her eyes off the Top Box for an instant she has no idea what the crowds reactions are truly about - she even fails to realise when the game is over! Having heard her commentary, you'll realise that Luna gave a very good description of the game in HBP!  :P

Some of the most hilarious comments of Rita's, in my opinion, are:
* when she in the gossip column bangs about speculations of whether the fact that Luna and Rolf did not bring their boys to the game, but 'left them with grand-pa' would be an evasive excuse to hide that they are 'too disturbed to be seen in public', in one sentence, following it up with this one: Surely only the unkindest would suggest so.  :mcgonagall2:  :lol: I dare say she's right about that last one! Interesting though, that she fails to see the implication...  :devil:

* As part of interesting news to report to the crowds she thinks this fits: Harry Potter is scratching his ear. That statement will change the world, that will ....  :P 

* Having hard feelings over a private conversation between Neville and Harry, that they clearly both enjoy, on the grounds that others can not hear what they are talking about! I bet she'd love to bug along up there...  :P

One interesting piece of news that I don't remember having heard earlier (?) is that Neville is Albus godfather. Have we known that before?  :crabbegoyle: It's a little odd compared to the exchange about Professor Longbottom on Platform 9 3/4 in the Epilogue, seeing as Albus already refers to him as a Professor he can not be friends with. I somehow always pictured Neville as Albus parents friends, rather than a person Albus knew well himself. Besides, I guess I supposed that Ron and Hermione would be godparents to the Potters children. 

I don't think I believe the rumour of Hannah going to Hogwarts as Matron, as then she would probably have been mentioned in the 19 years later epilogue.
Interesting catch! I wonder if it's intended as a Skeeter rumour with zero credibility or if Jo has changed her mind about this, addressing fans questions on how they can live together if she's in London all the time and he's at Hogwarts all through terms?  :hmm:

Also, what would a Matron do? Did we ever see one during the trio's years at Hogwarts?  :crabbegoyle:

All in all, I loved these two columns and I echo HealerOne in suggesting that this is worth logging in to Pottermore for - even get an account there if your old one is gone. (These stories are accessible outside the storyline of the books, so you don't need to reach a certain part in the books to see them. Instead they have their own link from the main map/menu: Go to Daily Prophet.)

This also made me long for more Potter books of course, or at least for the Scamander story to come out as books too... :(

Japan was really sporting in this World Cup, I don't regret rooting for them.
I really loved reading about the various games, even if I think some games were summarized a bit too short. Not the quarter finals and forwards though.

I also really loved the three-man sportsmanship in the Bulgarian - Japanese match, where Volchanov (Bulgarian Beater) took a Bludger to save Krum, was knocked out cold and fell from his broom, being saved by the Japanese Seeker Sato. And Krum, who let the Snitch escape while Sato could not pursue it, due to this rescue!  :clap:

I am however, very happy that Krum, who always struck me as a decent person, thus achieved his goal in winning the QWC!  :hug:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:08:38 PM by Evreka »
July 13, 2014, 10:44:45 PM
Reply #54

roonwit

One interesting piece of news that I don't remember having heard earlier (?) is that Neville is Albus godfather. Have we known that before?  :crabbegoyle: It's a little odd compared to the exchange about Professor Longbottom on Platform 9 3/4 in the Epilogue, seeing as Albus already refers to him as a Professor he can not be friends with. I somehow always pictured Neville as Albus parents friends, rather than a person Albus knew well himself. Besides, I guess I supposed that Ron and Hermione would be godparents to the Potters children.
It is James who says "Mum! I can't give a Professor love!". This seems to me to be a natural reaction of a child asked to do something uncool by their parents who clearly don't understand school etiquette from the pupil point of view. Harry and Ginny's children probably have different godparents, and more than one each (3 is traditional). I imagine Harry only had one because the Potters wanted Harry's christening as low profile as possible.
I don't think I believe the rumour of Hannah going to Hogwarts as Matron, as then she would probably have been mentioned in the 19 years later epilogue.
Interesting catch! I wonder if it's intended as a Skeeter rumour with zero credibility or if Jo has changed her mind about this, addressing fans questions on how they can live together if she's in London all the time and he's at Hogwarts all through terms?  :hmm:

Also, what would a Matron do? Did we ever see one during the trio's years at Hogwarts? :crabbegoyle:
As Rita talks about Hannah retraining as a Healer, I assume this is the Madam Pomfrey role.

The bits I liked from Rita's ramblings was the description of Luna's wedding dress, and how she criticizes the VIPs for (in her eyes) ignoring the game and denying real fans seats when she is largely oblivious to the action herself.
July 18, 2014, 05:45:46 PM
Reply #55

BillieMac

Regarding the new Daily Prophet articles from Rita Skeeter:
I can't find it. All I've got is the July 17 back-and-forth between Ginny Potter's and Rita Skeeter's reports. (Very funny, btw.
What link am I missing here?

Eta: Reading the report more thoroughly, I wonder if all Victoire was doing was pointing out some relatives among the Bulgarian mascots to Teddy, (Great Grandmama perhaps?,) and Bill over-reacted. Just because Teddy is two years older than Victoire...Okay, I just counted it up; she's fourteen, so Bill was right.

Edit: Added the first line to explain the "it", following the move from the spoilerfree thread.  /Evreka
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:05:39 AM by Evreka »
July 18, 2014, 07:19:57 PM
Reply #56

roonwit

I can't find it. All I've got is the July 17 back-and-forth between Ginny Potter's and Rita Skeeter's reports. (Very funny, btw.
What link am I missing here?
The two Rita pieces are dated 08 July 2014 and 11 July 2014.
Eta: Reading the report more thoroughly, I wonder if all Victoire was doing was pointing out some relatives among the Bulgarian mascots to Teddy, (Great Grandmama perhaps?,) and Bill over-reacted. Just because Teddy is two years older than Victoire...Okay, I just counted it up; she's fourteen, so Bill was right.
Bill may simply have been ensuring that Victoire had fewer distractions from the Quidditch. It does sound like they were paying a bit more attention to the Quidditch afterwards if you read between the lines of Rita's report (ie. Teddy gesticulating about something).
July 19, 2014, 08:45:28 PM
Reply #57

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Sometimes I get really, really tired of media...   >:( Can you believe that I just found the following in an article at BBC News which (supposedly) summons Rita Skeeter's Final QWC comments up:

Skeeter then speculates on the absence of Potter's wife Ginny at the event.
Oh she does, does she?  :mcgonagall2: It's a 1500 words tale - and they can't keep their facts straight?  :headbang: Not even Rita is that daft as she has Ginny right beside her in the journalist box...   Is it so difficult to differ between George's wife Angelina and Harry's wife Ginny?   :thumbdown: Very similar those names are... not.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:48:24 PM by Evreka »
July 19, 2014, 09:02:17 PM
Reply #58

roonwit

Sometimes I get really, really tired of media...   >:( Can you believe that I just found the following in an article at BBC News which (supposedly) summons Rita Skeeter's Final QWC comments up:

Oh she does, does she?  :mcgonagall2: It's a 1500 words tale - and they can't keep their facts straight?  :headbang: Not even Rita is that daft as she has Ginny right beside her in the journalist box...   Is it so difficult to differ between George's wife Angelina and Harry's wife Ginny?   :thumbdown: Very similar those names are... not.
They are talking about about Rita's first piece talking about the presence of Dumbledore's Army at the QWC final, not the commentary on the final. Rita does indeed speculate about Ginny's absence (for several weeks from the family home) at the event (ie. QWC). Unfortunately their summary of this, which is arguably correct, would be interpreted by most people as meaning that Ginny was absent from the QWC when she clearly isn't. Or you could be right and they haven't read it properly (or haven't read it at all and are just relying on the reports of others).
July 19, 2014, 09:17:34 PM
Reply #59

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix

They are talking about about Rita's first piece talking about the presence of Dumbledore's Army at the QWC final, not the commentary on the final. Rita does indeed speculate about Ginny's absence (for several weeks from the family home) at the event (ie. QWC). Unfortunately their summary of this, which is arguably correct, would be interpreted by most people as meaning that Ginny was absent from the QWC when she clearly isn't. Or you could be right and they haven't read it properly (or haven't read it at all and are just relying on the reports of others).
OH! I see... I definitely missed that.  I linked that comment to the one during the match as it said the absence of Potter's wife Ginny at the event. I took that to mean she was (supposedly) missing from the event itself, as opposed to being away from her family for weeks to cover the event?  :crabbegoyle: And that fitted a lot better on Angelina than Ginny, but you're right about all the other "facts" coming from the social column and not the QWC Final, so I guess I read it wrong.  :-\

Hence, I owe BBC News an apology, so I'm sorry BBC News:-[