August 18, 2018, 01:42:45 PM

Author Topic: Pottermore Canon - BEWARE OF SPOILERS  (Read 13398 times)

January 30, 2016, 11:46:33 PM
Reply #80

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
There are many interesting, creative bits of international magic in the new information on Wizarding Schools on Pottermore.  I liked that the Japanese students have robes that magically change size as they grow -- what a good idea!  I also learned something interesting -- in the Beauxbatons profile, it mentioned that Fleur was awarded a medal of bravery from both the French and the British Ministry of Magic.  I hadn't heard before that those in the Battle of Hogwarts were awarded such medals (though it would make sense).  If Fleur got one, I'm guessing that many other characters that we know and love got one as well.  I'm imagining what such a medals ceremony would look like....  :hmm:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
January 31, 2016, 03:12:47 AM
Reply #81

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
There are many interesting, creative bits of international magic in the new information on Wizarding Schools on Pottermore.  I liked that the Japanese students have robes that magically change size as they grow -- what a good idea!  I also learned something interesting -- in the Beauxbatons profile, it mentioned that Fleur was awarded a medal of bravery from both the French and the British Ministry of Magic.  I hadn't heard before that those in the Battle of Hogwarts were awarded such medals (though it would make sense).  If Fleur got one, I'm guessing that many other characters that we know and love got one as well.  I'm imagining what such a medals ceremony would look like....  :hmm:
I'm sure I heard something about medals before, but yeah, never thought about what the ceremony might be. I love all the new details! I really love the stuff about Ugadou, it sounds amazing. Dream Messengers? How cool! The joke about their defense against breaking the International Statute of Security is hilarious, too. I love that there's all the variation out there. It does make me think there are dozens of stories to be told in this expanded wizarding world, though, not just Newt Scamander. I hope JKR cracks and writes some more, maybe set in another country.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
January 31, 2016, 11:32:28 AM
Reply #82

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
There are many interesting, creative bits of international magic in the new information on Wizarding Schools on Pottermore.  I liked that the Japanese students have robes that magically change size as they grow -- what a good idea!  ...
Yeah, I bet the Weasleys would have loved that!   :mollyarthur: I actually am most fascinated by the idea of the colour of their dress changing as they reach larger wisdom. No way to cheat there, is there? I guess she's borrowing from the karate belts, but I just love that their dresses change by magic: What a great imaginative idea!  :owlso:

I also learned something interesting -- in the Beauxbatons profile, it mentioned that Fleur was awarded a medal of bravery from both the French and the British Ministry of Magic.  I hadn't heard before that those in the Battle of Hogwarts were awarded such medals (though it would make sense).  If Fleur got one, I'm guessing that many other characters that we know and love got one as well. 
I don't think I've heard about that either? Or did Rita mention that in her column from the Quidditch final last summer?  :crabbegoyle: Given that there were hundreds of people fighting though, it might not be given to everyone. Maybe Fleur was special as she was foreign and yet fought at a school she did not graduate from? What do you guys think?

I really love the stuff about Ugadou, it sounds amazing. Dream Messengers? How cool! The joke about their defense against breaking the International Statute of Security is hilarious, too. I love that there's all the variation out there.
The Dream Messages sounds as a practical way on a continent so far outstretched - with perhaps less than optimal travelling conditions even to uneducated wizarding children?

I think it's the variation that makes it sound plausible (to a degree). We wouldn't really be apt to think wizards world wide did things exactly the same, would we?  :)

Oh, and I just loved their standard excuse of gesticulating as well.  :fredgeorge: I'm sure the twins would have loved it... It might even "explain" the really weird news stories you can sometimes come by from Africa. I remember a few real life news stories which could have been written for The Quibbler.... For example...

I think the name of the African school (Ugadou)is quite close to what I always took to be a town in Australia, now I wonder:
[Lockhart in COS (who else?) (p. 142). Kindle Edition.] … I remember something very similar happening in Ouagadougou, a series of attacks, the full story’s in my autobiography. I was able to provide the townsfolk with various amulets which cleared the matter up at once …

(My bold.) Is his geography and memory of town names as good as his other knowledge?  :mcgonagall2: Can this have been something that went on at the school?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 11:36:46 AM by Evreka »
January 31, 2016, 03:39:59 PM
Reply #83

roonwit

I also learned something interesting -- in the Beauxbatons profile, it mentioned that Fleur was awarded a medal of bravery from both the French and the British Ministry of Magic.  I hadn't heard before that those in the Battle of Hogwarts were awarded such medals (though it would make sense).  If Fleur got one, I'm guessing that many other characters that we know and love got one as well. 
I don't think I've heard about that either? Or did Rita mention that in her column from the Quidditch final last summer?  :crabbegoyle: Given that there were hundreds of people fighting though, it might not be given to everyone. Maybe Fleur was special as she was foreign and yet fought at a school she did not graduate from? What do you guys think?
The Beauxbatons article was from the previous incarnation of Pottermore, including the mention of Fleur's medals. Having thought about it I would everyone who fought in the Battle of Hogwarts (on the right side) got a medal, possibly a special "Battle of Hogwarts" medal, though it might be be Order of Merlins of varying grades, possibly with other medals for those who opposed Voldemort in other ways.
I really love the stuff about Ugadou, it sounds amazing. Dream Messengers? How cool! The joke about their defense against breaking the International Statute of Security is hilarious, too. I love that there's all the variation out there.
The Dream Messages sounds as a practical way on a continent so far outstretched - with perhaps less than optimal travelling conditions even to uneducated wizarding children?
I think there are practical alternatives in the modern magical world to distribute school place notifications, but it may well have been the only realistic way to do it when the school was first set up.

What struck me was the idea that magic wands are just a matter of magical style rather than a necessity for all but advanced or emergency use, as the African witches and wizards seem to get good or even better results without them. I think it would be a useful skill to acquire and practise, particularly for Aurors, and I am a bit surprised Hermione hasn't said more about it.
July 16, 2016, 03:07:25 PM
Reply #84

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
*dusts of thread*

I really enjoyed the Ilvermorny story posted a few weeks ago on pottermore. What a great way to show the positive side of Slytherin's line, how wizards and muggles and other living beings can work together, to create a new life. It also shows how a mental image, in this case of Hogwarts, can not only inspire a new school but a child and then young woman to keep going and seeking a positive life despite the circumstances.

I hope we learn more about the other schools in a similar fashion.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
October 06, 2016, 04:36:47 PM
Reply #85

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Another interesting article on Pottermore written by JK Rowling about the Magical Congress in the U.S.  https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/macusa

Make sure to check out the accompanying video. JKR says this was where she wanted to go after the Potter series. Why do you think this history of magic of the global magical community was so compelling to her?