August 18, 2018, 01:44:19 PM

Author Topic: Bug Report  (Read 999 times)

September 27, 2012, 03:12:08 PM

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
The team of Tekkies on The Discussion Station work very hard to keep everything functioning smoothly, but occasionally a sneaky bug gets through the cracks.  If anyone should find such a bug, please bring it to our attention here.  Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:30:28 PM by ss19 »

April 22, 2013, 11:28:58 AM
Reply #1

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Not sure if this is considered a bug, but due to daylight saving time in the UK and US, the Singapore time I see here is now one hour ahead of what it should be, since there is no daylight saving time in Singapore. Is there a feature here to take daylight saving time into consideration? Thanks!

PS: Managed to fix my time manually. I have seen the daylight saving feature on other forums, is it possible to add it here? Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:31:15 AM by Hermione P »
April 23, 2013, 02:28:25 AM
Reply #2

ss19

• Administrator
Thank you for your question/report, Hermione P. :)

Unfortunately, the answer is 'no', and it's a bit difficult to explain why, but I'll give it a try in case anyone wants to know.  (Please feel free to skip the rest of this post if you don't want to know why.)  The way our forum software is designed, we have to choose one time zone to be our default.  We are an international group with members spread out all over the world, but chose to use London/UK time as our server's default time zone, I assume in honor of Harry, as we wouldn't be here together at all if it weren't for Harry.

Anyway, for our members who live in UK, their forum time will always be correct and will automatically adjust for Daylight Saving Time.  The rest of us can set our forum time to a fixed number of hours offset from UK time to reflect our local time, but this means that unless our time zone adjusts to Daylight Saving Time on the same schedule as UK does, the software has no way of knowing when the offset has changed.  I'm on Eastern Standard Time, for example, and my forum time was wrong by an hour for 3 weeks in the spring because we turn our clocks 3 weeks earlier than UK does.

The only way to fix this problem is if the software changed how it keeps track of members' preferred forum time.  It needs to let each of us select a specific time zone, instead of letting us select a number of hours we want offset from UK time.  If I could choose EST instead of UK time minus 5 hours, for example, that would allow my forum time to always follow EST time, taking Daylight Saving Time into consideration.  This change has already been requested by other users of the software, but we don't know when or if ever the software developers will take the change into consideration and add it to a future software update.
July 04, 2013, 05:44:04 AM
Reply #3

ss19

• Administrator
This is more a Tekkie announcement than a bug report.

We had an internally-reported problem (not technically a bug but a problem with the way the forum software was designed to work) with the "new" buttons that tell us which forums have new posts that we haven't read yet when we're logged in.  The problem was that the "new" buttons for a forum and for all its topics disappeared if you merely looked in the forum, even if you then turned around and left the forum with some topics still unread.

This problem was fixed some time ago but we've only just completed the second half of the fix.  The first part of the fix only took care of the behavior of those "new" buttons after the fix, but didn't bring back any previously-disappeared buttons.  The second part of the fix that was just completed has now gone through and reset the "new" buttons for all the forums where they had disappeared before.

So going forward, the "new" buttons should remain in place as long as you haven't read all the topics within a forum.  This is to allow us to quickly glance the board index and see where there are new posts we might want to read.  If there are posts in a forum that you are not interested in and you do not want those "new" buttons to remain, there is always the option of marking all the topics in a forum "read" by clicking on the "MARK READ" button located at the top or bottom of the forum index.

Please post here or let one of the Tekkies know if you have any questions about this or need help with anything else.

Happy posting (or reading) and a happy Independence Day to all our American friends!

:hogwartsc: