December 19, 2018, 08:28:03 AM

Author Topic: Les Misérables - Singing its way to a Screen Near You [Spoiler]  (Read 4911 times)

February 10, 2013, 01:12:03 AM
Reply #20

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
boy, HermioneP, that was TERRIFIC! I'm so glad you posted that link!

This one is just one song, but it is another, completely different kind of parody intended for "allergy sufferers" called One Grain More.
The South Korean Air Force has made a parody of Les Misérables to raise morale among its soldiers who are busy clearing snow.

http://youtu.be/lZunEARBb6I

The page in in Korean, but the video is in Korean with English subtitles.

Oh my goodness! I was shocked how good those videos were. I have recently gotten Susan Boyle's newest CD and have loved her rendition of Bring Him Home from Les Mis , so these two videos were a nice contrast to her serious rendition.   
February 11, 2013, 10:10:24 PM
Reply #21

Buckbeak 26

(Sings)" Who am I? 24601!!"

Wow, I remember listening to the Broadway album of this in the early spring of 1990 with Colm Wilkinson as Valjean and Terrence Mann (from Cats) as Javert. I loved the music and certain songs stick out in my mind: Who am I, (the song I just started singing on this post) Stars, Master Of The House, On My Own, and many more. Some friends of mine saw the movie in January and told me that they loved the film. However since my back surgery in November I cannot be sitting up straight more than one hour at a time, so I probably will have to wait until after I can get clearance from my doctor to be able to go see this movie.

During my recovery I did see an interview with Hugh Jackman (on 60 Minutes) and I feel that they made a great choice to cast him in the movie version as Valjean. I think he has a great singing voice. One evening shortly after Mr. Jackman's 60 Minutes interview I was looking at the cast of the film and one name popped out at me..... None other than Miss Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange from the last 4 Harry Potter movies) as Madame Thedarneir ! )  This even makes me want to see the movie more.

The rest of the cast I either know by name or never heard of before, but my father loves the movie version from the 1930's with Sir Charles Laughton as Javert, and Fredrich March as Valjean and while he liked the Broadway musical production, he feels that the role of the priest was an important part and that in  the act 1 song," Valjean Arrested/ Valjean Forgiven" was reduced to a mere 2 minutes. I tend to agree but all the songs are very well done, and I for one (when I can) am willing to go see this musical on film.  :)  :hedwig: :harryronbb:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:13:51 PM by Hippogriff Lover »
February 12, 2013, 04:14:22 AM
Reply #22

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
A PG 13 version of Les Misérables will begin showing in cinemas on Valentine's Day. (If I recall correctly, someone wrote a letter to our papers saying the previous rating prevented her from bringing her children, who have been anticipating the movie, to watch it.)

Oh my goodness! I was shocked how good those videos were.

The South Korean Air Force video was made with a budget of US $900, and the director was a film student before enlisting.

The 3 main actors are members of the Air Force Band, and both Valjean and Javert studied opera.

Sources:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/11/watch-south-korean-air-force-parodies-les-miserables/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/les-militarables-video-south-korean-soldiers-les-miserables-parody_n_2643420.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
February 24, 2013, 06:49:01 PM
Reply #23

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Finally! It hit the screens here in Germany. And what can I say? I lovet it!

Mum was very impressed too, who I took along. We're both musicians so we were all over the score and interpretation, but even so we discussed many symbolic choices in the filming, too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:15:55 PM by atschpe »
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
March 10, 2013, 12:37:03 PM
Reply #24

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Now it has hit most screens, shall we dive in to the rich details, symbols, acting, music, costume, set, etc. etc.?
So be aware from here on in you will get spoiled if you have not yet seen the movie

I am really glad they decided to drop the old tradition of lipsyncing to a recording and actually sang whilst shooting. You get an extra layer of richness, that you can actually hear physical movement/strain in their voice and the interaction within the music becomes more real and alive. In a way it is more naturally blended into the story/surroundings/characters. You wouldn't get the sublte jolting of the voice of the singer sitting in a horse drawn carriage otherwise, for example. It also gave them more freedom in interpretation and felt less of a "well the score says 'a' so that's what I'll sing" rendition.

I also loved the visual reinterpretation of characters and lyrics.
– "Look down" became a play between the supressed looking down and away from the superior and the superior refusing to look down and into the supressed eyes – wonderfully depicted by setting superiors in a higher position (Javert, standing at the top looking down at the prisoners, or the the poor huddled down low in the streets whilst visitors are "up" in carriages sweeping past them in the tunnel).
– Javert balancing on a bulstrade twice when he is considering his position and conscience as to his pursuing Valjean.
– When Eponine sings " The streets are full of strangers" you see the silhouette of a person walking along the street, unfocussed, alone and seemingly with no reference to her inner turmoil.

What did you discover?
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
March 12, 2013, 06:55:33 PM
Reply #25

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I finally saw Les Miserables last weekend. And, well, I see that I'm most probably in the minority, but I didn't care for it much. I appreciate the live singing and all, but I just didn't feel connected to the story and the characters (except for Epoline, and I thought the evil innkeepers were pretty fun). Maybe I just was in a wrong set of mind, or something. And I thought the cinematographic side of things was lacking something, something to unify the film. I felt it was just a bunch of sets thrown together which might all have been from different movies if it weren't for the singing. That's not to say that I didn't like it at all, the music is beautiful and there were some awesome bits.

I thought Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman both overacted a bit in the wrong places and it didn't suit them. That said, Hathaway singing 'I dreamed a dream' (or whatever the proper name for that song) was probably my favourite scene in the whole musical. Helen Bonham-Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen were perfect comedic relief. I also liked the little boy who got shot - especially when he first appeared darting under and over the carriages. I also liked pretty much every bit which had Epoline in it (going into the film I knew nothing of the plot, except of what I saw in the trailer), especially the scene where she changed into men's clothes - that was so sad.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:57:51 PM by Kickassnoodle »
May 18, 2013, 08:32:14 PM
Reply #26

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
I'm not much of a film person, a long time since I've been to the cinema - I usual wait for the blockbuster films to come to DVD before seeing them. But I've been a fan of Les Miserables for years, and I would love to see it on stage one day - so I watched this film with great expectations :)
I wasn't disappointed, the film engrossed me from the beginning. All the actors did well ... some better than others, for me Javert didn't quite ring true :) ... and there was some outstanding performances. My favourite actors by far was Hugh Jackman and the little boy who played Gavoche. The singing was also really well done.
So a really enjoyable film for me :)

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
June 21, 2013, 04:45:18 PM
Reply #27

wordsaremagic

• The Only Wizard Bob the Duck Ever Feard
  • Administrator
I just finished the novel (finally) last weekend.
And last night I watched it again (about the fourth time).
I cannot imagine getting tired of it. :bravo:
September 24, 2013, 09:47:08 PM
Reply #28

CallMeSeverus

I love the fact that my boys loved it so much! Every once in awhile we're deciding what to sit down and watch and one of them will say, "How about 'Les Miz?'"

:heart: it! Makes me so proud!
January 31, 2014, 09:28:27 PM
Reply #29

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
So, I finally saw this film (on BlueRay) yesterday.

In 2012 I was in London's West End and saw an absolutely AWSOME staging of the musical (which all in all was at least the third time I've watched it on stage) and that London version was so strong in me I was afraid to blur it too soon with the film version. So the delay was (mostly) deliberate.

I wasn't as drawn into the film version as I usually is to the musical, and I'm not really sure why? I think partly it might be that with the film scenes added to the story the music and song were less important, also it raised questions about the under-lying plot that I've never had before.

I must say that I think two of the three stage versions were a lot better than the film. I actually had trouble hearing what they were singing at some points because they sang too softly. I do have a feeling though, that the film version might have included a few more details from the books, which was very interesting and - for the first time actually - got me really interested in reading it! I've known for years that it's based on a book - although in the extra material it looks like 5 books, is it? - but for some really odd reason I've never been curious about the written material until now.

So, oddly enough, I wonder if the music, recorded alive, made it less powerful to listen to, because they could treat the songs more as they would treat speach?  :crabbegoyle:

But I've been a fan of Les Miserables for years, and I would love to see it on stage one day - so I watched this film with great expectations :)
I so hope you can achieve that one day, because it is such an experience!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:30:57 PM by Evreka »