August 20, 2018, 11:49:56 PM

Author Topic: Doctor Who: Plot and Theories Discussion  (Read 10234 times)

October 08, 2012, 03:03:36 PM

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
So, have you seen The Angels Take Manhattan? What are your thoughts? What did you think of the way Amy and Rory left the show? How sad it was when Doctor yelled at River to get out of that Angel's grip without breaking her wrist? What do you make of her advising Amy never to let Doctor see her hurt?

Did you notice that we met the new companion back in Asylum of the Daleks? Any theories on how we'll meet her again?

This is the thread to discuss the heck out of any and all Doctor Who episodes, moments and theories about the future you might have  8)

Pop over to this thread to discuss your personal 'relationship' with Doctor Who, favourite companions, your first Doctor and so on :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:32:30 PM by atschpe »

October 13, 2012, 01:01:16 PM
Reply #1

Kickassnoodle

• Forum Moderator
I don't know if you've seen this, but DenofGeek has this post with a video from BBC website about what has happened to Amy & Rory and Brian after Amy & Rory were zapped to the past by the Angel. :'( I knew it was going to be sad. I'm glad they made this video, though. At least Brian didn't have to wait for it for too long and wonder what happened to Rory. It's still super sad. But at least it shows for sure that Amy and Rory had a calm life together.
October 15, 2012, 02:59:58 AM
Reply #2

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Did you notice that we met the new companion back in Asylum of the Daleks? Any theories on how we'll meet her again?
Yes, I did notice the new companion in Asylum of the Daleks, though it took me a while to convince myself that it was really her, not just a look-alike.

There are any number of ways that they could bring her back again.  She could appear as a different character, like both Martha and Amy did, having appeared as another character earlier before becoming a companion.  I don't like this option though, especially since Oswin was such a major character for that episode, and only 5 episodes before she'll become the new companion.

Another option is for the Doctor to do something timey wimey to rewrite history so that she doesn't die or get turned into a Dalek.  I almost think that this needs to be the way to go because of how the Doctor seemed not to care when he left Oswin behind to get blown up with the rest of the Daleks in the asylum.  I mean he didn't make an attempt to try to save her at all.

So, have you seen The Angels Take Manhattan? What are your thoughts? What did you think of the way Amy and Rory left the show?
There were several things I didn't think made sense.  I don't see why the Doctor could never see Amy and Rory again after they got sent back in time.  There was something about the TARDIS not being able to go back to that time and place again, but why can't the Doctor go to a different place, then travel there by plane to visit them or something?  Alternatively, can't Amy and Rory move or travel away from New York, back to the UK, maybe?  They lived a long time, some 50 years, after The Angels Take Manhattan, so there were plenty of opportunities for finding a way to meet up with the Doctor and their other loved ones again.  What about River's vortex manipulator?  Does that have the same restrictions that the TARDIS does?  I can't remember where exactly, but I think in some other episodes, River was able to travel to time and places where the Doctor couldn't go, using her vortex manipulator.

How sad it was when Doctor yelled at River to get out of that Angel's grip without breaking her wrist?
It's interesting that we had very different reactions to that scene.  I didn't think it was sad at all when the Doctor asked River to get out of that Angel's grip without breaking her wrist.  I thought it showed that the Doctor thought highly of River's abilities and believed that she could find a way to do it.

I loved seeing the four of them together as two couples in this episode! The Doctor fixing River's broken wrist was sweet, and her reaction to it fit her character perfectly. :) I'm not sure I agree with her though.  I vaguely remember the Doctor using his regeneration energy to fix someone up before now, or am I dreaming that up?

I don't know if you've seen this, but DenofGeek has this post with a video from BBC website about what has happened to Amy & Rory and Brian after Amy & Rory were zapped to the past by the Angel. :'( I knew it was going to be sad. I'm glad they made this video, though. At least Brian didn't have to wait for it for too long and wonder what happened to Rory. It's still super sad. But at least it shows for sure that Amy and Rory had a calm life together.
Oh, I saw that, and I was very glad they released it!  I really wish they would have shot that scene though.  It would have been a great scene to include in a future DVD set, even if they couldn't fit the scene into the episode.  At least they recorded Rory's voice for it.

I was wondering whether Amy and Rory went on to have any children after being stuck in New York, and was glad to find out in the video clip of that unshot scene.  I'm glad they went with the adoption route.

And yes, I was glad that Brian wasn't left to wonder what happened to them for decades.  Losing them is still sad, but not knowing would have made it even worse.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:02:11 AM by ss19 »
October 15, 2012, 02:50:36 PM
Reply #3

Kickassnoodle

• Forum Moderator

There are any number of ways that they could bring her back again.  She could appear as a different character, like both Martha and Amy did, having appeared as another character earlier before becoming a companion.  I don't like this option though, especially since Oswin was such a major character for that episode, and only 5 episodes before she'll become the new companion.

Another option is for the Doctor to do something timey wimey to rewrite history so that she doesn't die or get turned into a Dalek.  I almost think that this needs to be the way to go because of how the Doctor seemed not to care when he left Oswin behind to get blown up with the rest of the Daleks in the asylum.  I mean he didn't make an attempt to try to save her at all.
Yeah, I wouldn't like Oswin coming back as a different character - and I actually don't think that's likely, given that she'll supposedly have the same name. 'Cause that would just be weird, wouldn't it? ;D However, I'm not sure if re-writing time is possible either. I mean, the explosion of the Asylum planet seems to be the sort of event that would create a fixed point in time, i.e. unchangeable. My favourite theory right now is that the Doctor will simply go back in Oswin's time to hang out with her for a while and that will actually somehow accidentally lead to her getting stuck on the Dalek planet. Though it sounds a bit crazy when I say it like that ;D Gah, I can't wait till Christmas!

As for Doctor not trying to save Oswin - well, she was a Dalek, wasn't she? I don't think she would be able to stay happily inside her own Dalek head making imaginary soufflés once she was made aware that she was a Dalek. And I think Doctor realised that - that's why he was so sorry.

There were several things I didn't think made sense.  I don't see why the Doctor could never see Amy and Rory again after they got sent back in time.  There was something about the TARDIS not being able to go back to that time and place again, but why can't the Doctor go to a different place, then travel there by plane to visit them or something?  Alternatively, can't Amy and Rory move or travel away from New York, back to the UK, maybe?  They lived a long time, some 50 years, after The Angels Take Manhattan, so there were plenty of opportunities for finding a way to meet up with the Doctor and their other loved ones again.  What about River's vortex manipulator?  Does that have the same restrictions that the TARDIS does?  I can't remember where exactly, but I think in some other episodes, River was able to travel to time and places where the Doctor couldn't go, using her vortex manipulator.
Yes, River says that vortex manipulator can get to places TARDIS can't in that same episode, because it's not so bulky or something to that effect. And I don't think that it's exactly just because the TARDIS can't get to the point - I'm sure Doctor being as smart as he is, would figure a way around it, if there was a way. Of course, this is just a convenient plot device or whatever, but the way I understand it, someone being zapped into the past by an Angel, creates some sort of fixed timeline or something. That is, they can't interact with their previous timeline, that is, they can't go to London or the Doctor can't go into their new timeline because it's 'fixed'. I don't know - it makes sense in my head.

I vaguely remember the Doctor using his regeneration energy to fix someone up before now, or am I dreaming that up?
Hm, I can't recall such an instance. I just remember 10th was able to re-grow his own arm, but it was very soon after regeneration, so he was still 'bursting' with energy.

I was wondering whether Amy and Rory went on to have any children after being stuck in New York, and was glad to find out in the video clip of that unshot scene.  I'm glad they went with the adoption route.
Well, they could've hardly had gone another way, seeing as Amy couldn't have children. At least she said so, I think, in Asylum of the Daleks. I find it a bit weird though, seeing as she had Melody. Maybe something happened on that ship where Melody was born. There are still so many loose ends from that whole storyline - it's really bugging me!  ???
November 09, 2012, 02:06:51 AM
Reply #4

Allons-y!

Well, they could've hardly had gone another way, seeing as Amy couldn't have children. At least she said so, I think, in Asylum of the Daleks. I find it a bit weird though, seeing as she had Melody. Maybe something happened on that ship where Melody was born. There are still so many loose ends from that whole storyline - it's really bugging me!  ???

I think she said something along the lines of not knowing exactly what Madame Kavorian did to her, but that she could never have anymore children.  :'(

Ok, so here's a question for you, something that randomly crossed my mind today:

River was conceived on the TARDIS, which presumably gave her the power of regeneration, like a Time Lord, correct?
But how? A TARDIS doesn't give a Time Lord its power usually, does it? Or have I completely missed something here?
Jiggery-pokery...wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...spacey-wacey...stuff.
November 09, 2012, 08:49:37 PM
Reply #5

Kickassnoodle

• Forum Moderator
I think, it's not so much the TARDIS that gives Time Lords powers, but rather being exposed to the time vortex, at least, I seem to recall the Doctor saying something like that. I think, he said something about how Time Lords got their powers from being exposed to the untamed time vortex for ages and ages. River was a bit different in that regard, but I guess being exposed to the time vortex (i.e. as the TARDIS was travelling through time) the moment of conceiving does something to you. It's really rather fascinating. I wonder if it would be possible to, you know, start a population of Time Lords that way?
November 10, 2012, 03:57:37 AM
Reply #6

Allons-y!

It's really rather fascinating. I wonder if it would be possible to, you know, start a population of Time Lords that way?

I volunteer as tribute!!!  BWAHAHAHA! 

Ok, sorry, that was soooo wrong, wasn't it?

That may be it, just the exposure to the time vortex itself.  There are a lot of implications to that. I remember Amy was worried that the baby would be affected. Well, she was, in a good way!  River is probably my favorite character in the series, next to the Doctor himself. I love her storyline, and I love her attitude.  One of my favorite lines was when the Doctor introduced her saying  "...she doesn't mind shooting people, shouldn't like that, kinda do a little."  That and when he described her to Churchill as "Hell...on high heels."  :-D
November 10, 2012, 11:44:31 AM
Reply #7

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I love River's character, too. I seem to recall that she knows the Doctor's real name. Would that come from the fact that she was conceived with the time vortex influence or have we yet to learn why that would be – or perhaps I missed something. Either way, the depth of her character and backstory really makes her the Doctor's equal in many ways. Makes me wonder what else is in store for that character now that many questionmarks have been resolved for her.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
November 10, 2012, 02:42:12 PM
Reply #8

Allons-y!

I believe he told her his name when they were married.  When she was in the Library with 10, he said there was only one reason he would have told her his name, and I'm thinking that was something that happened on The Wedding of River Song...or is this my own wishful remembering?
December 27, 2012, 05:47:56 PM
Reply #9

Kickassnoodle

• Forum Moderator
OK, so, guys, have you seen the Christmas Special yet? If so, what do you make of Clara Oswin Oswald now? I can't wait to find out more about her! I wonder if she's going to be like Kenny of the South Park ;D Like, is she going to be dying in every episode and Doctor will keep looking for her until he finds out what's up with her. OK, that's kind of silly and most likely won't happen, but it would be kind of cool. I'm guessing he'll probably find the Clara from the present times whom we glimpsed at the end of the episode and will take her along to look for answers.

I must say, I'm in love with Clara already ;D I mean, I guess, I already really liked her back in Asylum of the Daleks. And she's pretty much the same character even if she's not, if that makes sense. I miss the Ponds, though, of course, and I'm glad that the Doctor is missing them too in this episode. I didn't really like that he was refusing to help, but I guess I partly get it. The Universe took away the Ponds, so to speak, after all that he's done for it. And what makes Clara even more amazing in my eyes - that she manages to get the Doctor to open his heart again so quickly. Though to be fair, it was a bit too quick to be entirely believable. But then, Doctor has a track record of asking people to come with him as soon as they meet. He's never given anyone a key to the TARDIS this quickly though, at least as I recall.

I've also seen some speculation that the monstrous snowmen are likely to return in the future as there wasn't a particular act of vanquishing the snow. But I don't know. I mean, the way Doctor explains it about a family crying, I think, that's as much as we're going to get about the psychic snow, I mean, it seems like this sort of act would be sufficient to kill it. What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:33:38 PM by Kickassnoodle »
January 05, 2013, 09:26:44 PM
Reply #10

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
OK, so, guys, have you seen the Christmas Special yet? If so, what do you make of Clara Oswin Oswald now? I can't wait to find out more about her! I wonder if she's going to be like Kenny of the South Park ;D Like, is she going to be dying in every episode and Doctor will keep looking for her until he finds out what's up with her. OK, that's kind of silly and most likely won't happen, but it would be kind of cool. I'm guessing he'll probably find the Clara from the present times whom we glimpsed at the end of the episode and will take her along to look for answers.
I wouldn't agree that dying in every episode is a silly idea, it would certainly be an interesting twist to have a whole series where he has to keep trying to save her and yet she still dies.  I'd like to see what is behind all that if that's the way it's going.  Or perhaps she'll only appear in some episodes, just as the crack in the wall and Big Bad Wolf kept recurring and kept us all on tenterhooks to find out what it all meant.

What I really want to know is whether she's the same person who appears to die but doesn't or whether she's different people and is somehow repeatedly reborn each time.  She seems to keep the name but then names can be handed down, although we don't see her, so far, as having any children.  OK, I'll stop my rambling now, I have so many questions going round my head but no real answers - I suppose that's why we all keep watching. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:12:03 AM by Dreamteam »

January 06, 2013, 11:19:48 PM
Reply #11

LillianJames

I really enjoyed the Christmas special.  I miss Amy and Rory, but  really like Clara.  If we must change-sigh-she will be a good one!
Lillian James
January 07, 2013, 06:53:06 PM
Reply #12

varza

• Varzaland
I finally got to watch the Christmas special last night. The idea of Clara dying all the time isn't too weird... isn't that what happened to Rory the first few seasons?

I am not sure what to think of her character, I yelled at the screen when she kissed him - "He is married!" but it seems there is something unique about her that she is reborn with the exact same name, looks, personality, etc. But that is Doctor Who isn't it? But I hope they don't turn it into a romance, I want River to keep her role and I liked how Doctor Who was with Amy and it wasn't a romance but a deep friendship/family relationship for them.

BTW fav line of the series comes from this show now: "Hello, I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time and this is my wife"
I am everywhere....
January 09, 2013, 12:47:50 AM
Reply #13

Marielle

I don't know what to think either, with a character flesh out that way, it can go into any direction at all. I suppose they may want to keep their option open. I guess we will see. Still so far I love the energy she gives out on the the screen, so i am hopeful with what they will do with her, she will probably be able to deliver it.
January 20, 2013, 03:43:56 AM
Reply #14

ss19

• Administrator
I believe he told her his name when they were married.  When she was in the Library with 10, he said there was only one reason he would have told her his name, and I'm thinking that was something that happened on The Wedding of River Song...or is this my own wishful remembering?
She did know his name in the library, but then after that we haven't really gotten any more information about when she found out.  We didn't see him tell River his name in The Wedding of River Song, I don't think.  At first when he was whispering in River's ear, I thought it might have been him telling her his name, which would link back nicely to when she whispered it to him in the Library.  But then later in the episode we found out that he was telling her to look in his eyes when he whispered to her.  (I hope I'm remembering this correctly - that episode seemed like so long ago...)

I miss the Ponds, though, of course, and I'm glad that the Doctor is missing them too in this episode. I didn't really like that he was refusing to help, but I guess I partly get it. The Universe took away the Ponds, so to speak, after all that he's done for it. And what makes Clara even more amazing in my eyes - that she manages to get the Doctor to open his heart again so quickly. Though to be fair, it was a bit too quick to be entirely believable. But then, Doctor has a track record of asking people to come with him as soon as they meet. He's never given anyone a key to the TARDIS this quickly though, at least as I recall.
I miss the Ponds, too, and am also glad that the Doctor is missing his friends instead of just forgetting them and moving on to someone new.  I love how he is hiding in the clouds brooding!  He's not helping the humans, but at the same time, it shows that he still cares about them and parks his TARDIS near them so he can keep an eye on them.

I also think it was ingenius how Steven Moffat used "Pond" as the keyword that finally got the Doctor to come off the clouds and help the humans again.  He refused to help because of missing the Ponds, but it was also the memory of and link to the Ponds that made him stop brooding.  That worked perfectly for me.  It took me by surprise as well.  It never occurred to me when they mentioned the frozen pond that it might lead to this.

I am not sure what to think of her character, I yelled at the screen when she kissed him - "He is married!" but it seems there is something unique about her that she is reborn with the exact same name, looks, personality, etc. But that is Doctor Who isn't it? But I hope they don't turn it into a romance, I want River to keep her role and I liked how Doctor Who was with Amy and it wasn't a romance but a deep friendship/family relationship for them.
Me, too!  I didn't like that he's married but kissing another woman, but then that's more his fault than Clara's fault, I think.  Clara wouldn't know he was married if he didn't say.
January 20, 2013, 10:20:14 PM
Reply #15

roonwit

Captain Jack's vortex manipulator could teleport as well as travel in time, so River wouldn't need to catch a plane.
I don't think dying in every episode would work. It would get a bit silly and surely the Doctor can take better care of his companions given how long he has travelled with them without getting them killed very often (though it might work if part of the explanation for the Doctor keeping meeting versions of Clara meant they didn't last very long - eg. some sort of curse).
Also, as neither Clara so far seemed to recognize the Doctor, it seems they are parallel to one another rather than the same person. I think that would make it difficult for them to build a proper Doctor-assistant relationship. I think it likely that there will be a consistent Clara during the rest of the series though the Doctor will be trying to solve the mystery behind Clara.
I've also seen some speculation that the monstrous snowmen are likely to return in the future as there wasn't a particular act of vanquishing the snow. But I don't know. I mean, the way Doctor explains it about a family crying, I think, that's as much as we're going to get about the psychic snow, I mean, it seems like this sort of act would be sufficient to kill it. What do you think?
The Great Intelligence came back in the Doctor's past (the second Doctor I think) which explains the mention of the London Underground in 1967 being a strategic weakness. I can't see the snowmen coming back, but the Great Intelligence may well do.
Me, too!  I didn't like that he's married but kissing another woman, but then that's more his fault than Clara's fault, I think.  Clara wouldn't know he was married if he didn't say.
As he had just claimed to be Clara's boyfriend, I agree it was the Doctor's fault, though he didn't seem to have much choice in the kiss itself.

It may be coincidence but I wonder if there are echoes of River and Amy in Clara, such as Clara landing on top of the Doctor as River did, and Clara saying "Eyes front soldier" as Amy did.
January 21, 2013, 04:27:32 PM
Reply #16

ss19

• Administrator
It may be coincidence but I wonder if there are echoes of River and Amy in Clara, such as Clara landing on top of the Doctor as River did, and Clara saying "Eyes front soldier" as Amy did.
Hi, roonwit. :) It's good to see you here.  Oh yeah, I definitely see some of River and Amy in Clara, not just in the things she says, but some of her personality traits as well.  Not only that, but I can see some of the Doctor in her as well.  One of the things I've wondered was whether Oswin could be River and the Doctor's daughter and therefore a Time Lord and could regenerate from her apparent deaths each time.  But then there are too many things that wouldn't make sense if that were the case.  For one thing, as you've pointed out, Clara and Oswin don't seem to be the same person and neither seems to remember their past.  One of them has to have met the Doctor first in her timeline if they were the same person.
January 24, 2013, 09:51:58 AM
Reply #17

Kickassnoodle

• Forum Moderator
BTW fav line of the series comes from this show now: "Hello, I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time and this is my wife"
Oh yeah! Also, a favourite of mine is "I resent your implications of impropriety - we're married." I hope, we get to see more of Madam Vastra and Jenny in the future.

The one word exchange between Madam Vastra and Clara was really great, I thought. I love that Clara is able to hold her own, even in circumstances that must be new and kind of frightening to her.

Also, as neither Clara so far seemed to recognize the Doctor, it seems they are parallel to one another rather than the same person. I think that would make it difficult for them to build a proper Doctor-assistant relationship [if Clara kept dying]. I think it likely that there will be a consistent Clara during the rest of the series though the Doctor will be trying to solve the mystery behind Clara.
Yes, I agree. If Clara kept dying, it would difficult to form that bond between the Doctor and the companion, which is a very big part of Doctor Who attraction, at least to me (that's why I said that Clara dying every time would be silly :) ).
March 17, 2013, 01:26:22 AM
Reply #18

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Ooh it's trailer dissection time! We finally have two new trailers to look at, and I think they're more interesting than the one we got last Christmas (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0132324) though they're still highlighting the mysterious Clara element a lot in the new ones.

Here's the BBC one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p016dy23
It looks like a lot of fun! More fun than I was thinking after the broody Doctor of Christmas :owlse: I'm quite excited to see more of Matt Smith again. :doctor11: It's been ages! And looks like there are some interesting places in the episodes.
Spoiler
Also the Cybermen do look promisingly scary, which I'd expect given Neil Gaiman's written their episode this year. Nice to see the more classic part of the design in the way they look now! :cyberman:

I'm also intrigued by the Doctor saying 'I am the Doctor, and I am afraid.' part of it. Wonder why he's stating it like that. Letting my imagination run away with me I might even wonder if he's somewhere he has to answer any question put to him and only speak the truth, like the fields of Trenzy-whatsit that Dorium warned about when the Doctor might speak his name... but that's probably very unlikely, I would think they'll spin the resolution to that mystery out a bit longer.

And this is the BBC America one: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/16/doctor-who-trailer-matt-smith/
Some overlap in the clips but it also looks cool. Now getting much more excited again about the new series (or half a series..)

~~~ :tardis: ~~~

There was also a tiny cameo by the Doctor in a One Born Every Minute/Call the Midwife comedy sketch as part of Comic Relief last night. Dunno whether this is the right place to link to it but I thought it was worth watching! It's here about 28 minutes in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p014yfxz/Comic_Relief_2013_Funny_for_Money_Part_1/ . And Matt Smith's brief appearance in the studio here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsiUvm111fQ

:ravenclawc:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:30:23 AM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
April 11, 2013, 11:53:20 PM
Reply #19

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Woo Doctor Who's on telly! I love this time of year. :hearts: :tardis: Doesn't happen nearly often enough (thank you Moffat and your mini-series, grr). Anyway, I would so far rank episodes 7 and 8 of series 7 (or episodes 1 and 2 of series 7b, thanks again Moffat for your confusing numbering... ??? ) both as :owlse:

RE episode 7 (or 1):
Spoiler
:doctor11:  :hagridbike: :siriusbike: :hagridbike: :doctor11: The Doctor rode a motorbike up the Shard... that alone is worth Exceeds Expectations. Was a great episode, I loved Clara phoning the TARDIS asking where the internet had gone. Which I think is the real first big mystery - who was the woman in the shop who gave her the best helpline in the universe? My bets are on River Song or some disguised future Clara. Was interesting to see that 'Amelia Williams' wrote a prominently featured book, too - Summer Falls, which I would also bet will make more sense as a title at a later date.

Anyway, yes, good ep I thought! Nice Spoonheads, loved the idea of hacking a human being, and the lights turning on in Clara's street was surprisingly scary. The Great Intelligence still doesn't exactly scare me though. I'm sure it'll get another chance. Maybe we'll see a return of the yeti!  :snowman:

RE episode 8 (or 2):
Spoiler
I'm starting to warm up to Clara a lot more now. Though I still think her name should be Oswin. She was great with the Queen of Years - who was also fantastic! Impressive acting from that girl. I like the way Clara says 'oh my stars'. And her reaction to being asked to pick a place in time and space to travel to for the first time is exactly what mine would be! Can't believe no companion's done that before. And I loved the Doctor rubbing his hands and waiting so eagerly to hear her response! Felt it was a bit harsh him letting her give up her mothers' ring, though, even if he did get it back. Surely he still had Amy's old reading glasses on him, or something. We've seen often enough how much the Doctor always carries around his his pockets. I did like how he used the sonic screwdriver, though. Finally a home for a sonic tool: in a world with lots of singing.

A few more mystery notes creeping in I guess, with talking about how there is only one Merry Gejelh and there will never be another (as opposed to someone else who's in the room at that time *cough*Clara!*cough*) and the Doctor mentioning his secrets, and the TARDIS not liking Clara- though it didn't like Cpt Jack when he'd come back to life, either :jack:. Though I guess that could just be the new writer trying to find a way to keep the TARDIS out of the action. And does the home she lives in really look different at the end or is it just her, changing?

Not sure I liked the whole religion thing in this ep, but I suppose there's no point talking about that. But it was a good and imaginative story. It could have done with a bit more of a follow up, such as whether the man singing with the Queen of Years had messed up on purpose; I couldn't tell, and the vigil things that were trying to feed Merry to the grandfather thingy didn't do much. And I don't know how the sun thing feeds on the Doctor's memories but leaves them intact, but consumes Clara's leaf. I should stop picking holes in the episode because I really did enjoy it! It felt like a slightly different story to what we normally get, which is interesting. I would've thought the people of that planet system would be utterly sick of the same song over and over again by now, too, rather than swaying cheesily! Anyway, on the whole I thought it was really good. And I loved the story with Clara's parents and the leaf weaving into it.

---

There's also 50th Anniversary news, if people don't mind casting spoilers and other spoilers about who/what's going to be in it.

Spoiler
David Tenant and Billie Piper are returning! :doctor10: :rose: Presumably as the Doctor and Rose. Though whether a half-human Doctor or a Doctor out of time etc. I guess we'll find out in November! There's a cute picture of Davd Tennant and Mat Smith at the readthrough: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Doctor-Who-50th-Anniversary-Special-The-Read-Through

Also Kate Stewart, the brigadier's daughter (aka Jemma Redgrave), is coming back, with UNIT! I'm looking forward to that, too. And John Hurt and Joanna Page will be in it, too.

The monster news is that one of the classic favourites is at long last making a comeback: the Zygons. I am definitely excited about this. Technically they made a sort of appearance in The Power of Three but this'll be proper Zygons! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Zygons-Return-for-the-50th-Anniversary-Special)

So this is all very exciting and hopeful ;D

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22