January 21, 2018, 06:37:14 PM

Author Topic: Doctor Who: Plot and Theories Discussion  (Read 8338 times)

April 14, 2013, 08:26:04 PM
Reply #20

roonwit

RE episode 7 (or 1):
I agree that
Spoiler
The Great Intelligence is coming back. I think we are almost guaranteed to see it in the last episode of this series, where they surely also need to explain the Claras. What struck me was the parallels between present day Clara and Victorian Clara, particularly that they were both governesses in families which had lost a mother, and both tied up in a plot by The Great Intelligence. I think there has to be a link between the Claras and The Great Intelligence. Also present day Clara and dalek Clara both had (by the end) very good computer skills. I wonder if "Run you clever boy and remember" is a phrase from "Summer Falls", because if River Song is behind the Doctor getting a phone call from Clara she could also have got Amy to plant that phrase.
RE episode 8 (or 2):
What worried me about this episode was
Spoiler
The Doctor and Clara appear to have destroyed the Rings of Azkaban Akhaten's sun, and even a weird vampire sun will provide extremely useful heat and light.
Clara's remark about the TARDIS not liking her might be a hint, but it might simply have been locked, as the Doctor is I believe the only person so far to be able to open the doors without a key.
April 28, 2013, 04:15:04 PM
Reply #21

Marielle

I have watch last's night episode, and though I was warming up to Clara, I am not sure I very much like this season so far. It seems to be lacking something, but I can't get my finger on what!

:heart:  I did love how we made a huge visit of the Tardis  :tardis:
April 30, 2013, 10:53:56 AM
Reply #22

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
I have watch last's night episode, and though I was warming up to Clara, I am not sure I very much like this season so far. It seems to be lacking something, but I can't get my finger on what!

:heart:  I did love how we made a huge visit of the Tardis  :tardis:

I agree, and as much as I  :heart: Matt Smith's Doctor, and Clara is adorable, this season is really missing something for me too, but I've worked out what it is.

I had last week off work, and amongst the mum stuff, I had a marathon Doctor Who season six session. Whilst Amy always annoyed the heck out me, what that season had in abundance was emotion. There was A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR which made me cry when they were reunited with their baby, only to lose Melody again. Then there was THE GIRL WHO WAITED which was Karen Gillan's finest episode and desperately sad. Even the last Xmas episode had me crying when the Doctor went to Amy and Rory's for lunch.

It had heart as well as terror and confusion.

There has been NO heart in this season. HIDE was a sensational scary episode, but the writers need to make me care, and for all her adorable cuteness, I just don't care about Clara.

Because the companions really are the heart of the show. As much as I loved Ten, it was his interaction with Rose, and later Donna, that made it watchable, (I never cared for Martha until she joined Torchwood). Eleven had amazing chemistry with Amy and even Rory. I don't feel that with Eleven and Clara.

The writers need to raise the bar because she has the potential to be a great companion.

May 01, 2013, 12:20:10 AM
Reply #23

roonwit

I think the relationship with the Doctor was better with the first two Claras than the third one, who at the moment is almost a puzzle to solve rather than someone to like. Clara may sense that there is something the Doctor isn't telling her and what he has told her is going to make her wary of him.
With regard to Clara in thi TARDIS episode (and earlier ones)
Spoiler
I think she may half-remember bits of what the Doctor told her before the time reset - I think it was implied that the salvage team had their attitudes changed by what happened in the aborted timeline. From this episode I wondered if the temporal echos were a clue to the Clara puzzle, and from the last episode I wondered if Clara was empathic - sensing the TARDIS is wary of her and also the melting of the snow in the Christmas episode.
May 17, 2013, 11:40:33 PM
Reply #24

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
This is a must watch! If you've seen all bar the last episode (The Name of the Doctor) that is. This is the prequel to The Name of the Doctor: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018wbj2

It's fantastic! :owlso: :heart: If only some of the episodes were as good as this.
Spoiler
Makes me like Clara a whole load more as well. In this scene she looks to me like a companion with all the potential to be the best, rather than the worst. We should probably hear her talk a lot more, like this. When was the last time Clara had anyone she could have a heart to heart with? Probably not really since The Rings of Akhaten with the little girl, perhaps? Anyway, I think this is amazing, really makes me more excited for the last episode.

~~~ :tardis: ~~~

There has been NO heart in this season. HIDE was a sensational scary episode, but the writers need to make me care, and for all her adorable cuteness, I just don't care about Clara.

Because the companions really are the heart of the show. As much as I loved Ten, it was his interaction with Rose, and later Donna, that made it watchable, (I never cared for Martha until she joined Torchwood). Eleven had amazing chemistry with Amy and even Rory. I don't feel that with Eleven and Clara.

The writers need to raise the bar because she has the potential to be a great companion.
I'm pretty sure they're doing it on purpose.
Spoiler
It keeps her as an enigma. Like roonwit says to the Doctor she's more mystery than person, and that's kind of how she is to us I think. We don't know who she is or whether she's some sort of trap for the Doctor or anything. That makes it hard for us to get attached I suppose. But I think they made a mistake doing it like this. You're right, it completely lacks heart. And so has the Doctor this season. His comments in Hide to the empath about being curious to find out if she'd be in agony in a moment were pretty horrible! If I were Clara I would most definitely be scared of the Doctor, rather than trusting him. Which, considering that she trusts him, is maybe another reason to suspect she might not be genuine. But maybe there she really does remember something of her other lives.

Post The Silver Nightmare spoilers:
Spoiler
It's odd in this episode, too, how Clara as a person is adapting so well but not quite connecting with the Doctor so well. The Doctor has let it go to some extent, no longer worrying about who she is in quite such a bad way, but clearly it's still on his mind, and their relationship still seems like it's in its infancy. On the other hand, Clara's ability to help the Doctor save the day is incredibly strong. She quickly became the military commander and was very good at dealing with the possessed Doctor. And has she every disobeyed an order of the Doctor's yet? Even the 'stay here' sort of orders? I think Victorian Clara may have followed him when he said not to but this Clara seems to do as she's told, which must be a first. Well perhaps their relationship will improve once he discovers who she is. Depending on who she turns out to be, of course.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:43:56 PM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
May 19, 2013, 04:16:02 PM
Reply #25

roonwit

Spoiler
It's odd in this episode, too, how Clara as a person is adapting so well but not quite connecting with the Doctor so well. The Doctor has let it go to some extent, no longer worrying about who she is in quite such a bad way, but clearly it's still on his mind, and their relationship still seems like it's in its infancy. On the other hand, Clara's ability to help the Doctor save the day is incredibly strong. She quickly became the military commander and was very good at dealing with the possessed Doctor. And has she every disobeyed an order of the Doctor's yet? Even the 'stay here' sort of orders? I think Victorian Clara may have followed him when he said not to but this Clara seems to do as she's told, which must be a first. Well perhaps their relationship will improve once he discovers who she is. Depending on who she turns out to be, of course.
The only counter-example I can think of is
Spoiler
when Clara went back for the Doctor on the Rings of Akhaten when I think he told her not to. I see Clara having the limited obedience typical of the Doctor's companions, where she obeys him unless she has a better idea. In this case keeping the soldiers from blowing up the planet seems like a good idea, the soldiers seem to need help, and she doesn't have a reason to think she could be more useful to the Doctor if she went with him.
A couple of things annoyed me about this episode,
Spoiler
Why didn't the Doctor take the children home when they started to get bored? He must have realized things were going to get dangerous (when don't they) and he could always come back (picking up Clara again on a later Wednesday if necessary). Also how did the Cyberman get a clear shot at Alice? Since they knew they were going to be attacked, surely they would have kept behind the walls except to keep an eye on what the Cybermen were doing?

I may comment on the final episode later.
May 22, 2013, 09:31:58 PM
Reply #26

BillieMac

Watching The Name of The Doctor, I thought I had it all figured out.

Spoiler
He may be the 11th Doctor, but he's the 12th regeneration. The one played by William Hurt is the 9th- the one who made the terrible choice to destroy Gallifrey in his attempt to destroy the Daleks.
In the pompeii episode, Doctor 10 tells Donna that the curse of the Time Lords is to know which moments in time are fixed points- unchangeable. (Major paraphrase there.)
Spoiler
The Doctor's parents knew at his birth what he was destined to do, and named him Vishnu.
"For behold, I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds."
True to his real name, Vishnu destroyed two worlds, dying with them with no intention to regenerate. But he did regenerate, and returned to Earth to heal his soul, reclaiming the name of Doctor (9). Eventually, he met Rose.
Then I read in TVWeek that Christopher Eccleston had declined the invitation to reprise the role. AARRGGHH!!! (@%$*&)
May 26, 2013, 03:01:46 PM
Reply #27

roonwit

Spoiler
He may be the 11th Doctor, but he's the 12th regeneration. The one played by William Hurt is the 9th- the one who made the terrible choice to destroy Gallifrey in his attempt to destroy the Daleks.
I think there has to be more to it than that.
Spoiler
Firstly, the Doctor didn't destroy Gallifrey, he stuck it in a time lock, which was why the Master was almost able to bring it back. Also the Doctor seems to accept the part he played in the Time War, which was really just an extension of what he does all the time, so that was in some sense done "In the name of the Doctor".  It could certainly have been something associated to the Time War or in its aftermath.
John Hurt could be before the first Doctor or after the 11th but neither quite fits, so he really has to be between the 8th and 9th which is the only break in the chain of regenerations we have seen.
One slightly ominous note of the episode is that the dying TARDIS has the decor of the current Doctor which suggests (unless the timeline shifts later) that he doesn't live long enough to change it again.
June 02, 2013, 12:16:42 AM
Reply #28

nellythemarrow

Spoiler warning for the Christmas special this year and casting news:
Spoiler
Matt Smith is leaving! http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who  :doctor11: I'm so devastated! He's hardly had the chance to be the Doctor it seems, particularly this mini series with Clara he was so mean a lot of the time :( :'(

Spoiler
The only counter-example I can think of is
Spoiler
when Clara went back for the Doctor on the Rings of Akhaten when I think he told her not to. I see Clara having the limited obedience typical of the Doctor's companions, where she obeys him unless she has a better idea. In this case keeping the soldiers from blowing up the planet seems like a good idea, the soldiers seem to need help, and she doesn't have a reason to think she could be more useful to the Doctor if she went with him.
That's true, though in Cold War
Spoiler
she did obey his order to stay put and not go with him, even though she wasn't doing anything useful where she was.

A couple of things annoyed me about this episode,
Spoiler
Why didn't the Doctor take the children home when they started to get bored? He must have realized things were going to get dangerous (when don't they) and he could always come back (picking up Clara again on a later Wednesday if necessary). Also how did the Cyberman get a clear shot at Alice? Since they knew they were going to be attacked, surely they would have kept behind the walls except to keep an eye on what the Cybermen were doing?
I thought the same thing about
Spoiler
the children! Though he'd be relying on the TARDIS getting him back to the right time and whilst he may be OK with dropping off Clara the TARDIS had that moment got it wrong in taking them to the planet when it was closed. And Alice (if I'm remembering who's who right) was sneaking out to blow up the planet so she was having to go where the others weren't hanging around so they couldn't stop her, ie. in the danger zone where she was more likely to be shot.

Spoiler
I think there has to be more to it than that.
Spoiler
Firstly, the Doctor didn't destroy Gallifrey, he stuck it in a time lock, which was why the Master was almost able to bring it back. Also the Doctor seems to accept the part he played in the Time War, which was really just an extension of what he does all the time, so that was in some sense done "In the name of the Doctor".  It could certainly have been something associated to the Time War or in its aftermath.
John Hurt could be before the first Doctor or after the 11th but neither quite fits, so he really has to be between the 8th and 9th which is the only break in the chain of regenerations we have seen.
One slightly ominous note of the episode is that the dying TARDIS has the decor of the current Doctor which suggests (unless the timeline shifts later) that he doesn't live long enough to change it again.
Spoiler
That's true about the TARDIS decor, I noticed it too. Pretty depressing! Maybe the timeline will shift and perhaps we'll see it come up. No idea.

As for John Hurt I'm fresh out of ideas, though I'm not sure the idea that he was before the First Doctor is too out there. There was an odd moment in Fourth Doctor story The Brain of Morbius where the Doctor's previous regenerations are shown and after working back to William Hartnell they then show a few more faces, hinting he'd had more than four regenerations, though generally I think that's one of those odd moments that just get swept out of canon because they seem contradictory. But it's possible he changed his name or something. Though in terms of number of regenerations that does get confusing as he'd still be a Time Lord even if he weren't the Doctor. He could be the Eleventh Doctor but on his thirteenth regeneration pretending he's just had eleven or something! I don't know. Another possibility is the one mentioned within the episode - that he could be the Valeyard somehow, the dark version of the Doctor that comes between his twelfth and thirteenth regeneration, and went back to torment his own Sixth Doctor regeneration. Though now it's just getting very timey wimey!

But I agree with BillieMac that it sounds like he's talking about the Time War somehow. John Hurt said he did what had to do in the name of sanity, and the Time Lords had all gone insane and wanted to ascend into higher beings etc. I just can't work out how he could come into that! Or why.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
June 03, 2013, 08:38:21 PM
Reply #29

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I have to agree with MaraundingDon – the writers should pick up and tighten their writing. I miss the depth and beauty of the past years. Nice storylines, but it doesn't have me as gobsmacked anymore.

I have changed the title of this thread to indicate it is spoiler- area, so we don't need to have the spoiler tags in here. I think you'll agree that it's much nicer to discuss all the details without them. So from now on, please writer your posts regularly,

nellythemarrow, I am starting a separate thread for the 12th Doctor discussion, so those who might not have caught up can join in. Feel free to pop over and discuss there so we can keep things focussed.
June 04, 2013, 08:13:42 AM
Reply #30

varza

• Varzaland
Spoiler
But I agree with BillieMac that it sounds like he's talking about the Time War somehow. John Hurt said he did what had to do in the name of sanity, and the Time Lords had all gone insane and wanted to ascend into higher beings etc. I just can't work out how he could come into that! Or why.
There is a hint in The End of Days? Tennett's last episode. The quote is almost the exact same as in that series when the Lord President is speaking to the council.
I am everywhere....
June 26, 2013, 08:31:17 AM
Reply #31

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
So, I finally caught up with Doctor Who. I must say this season was my least favourite of the rebooted series. I agree with MaraudingDon and atschpe that it lacks depth or heart or whatever. Doctor Who is best when we see the Doctor getting to know someone and getting attached to them and travel with them. And with Clara something is just missing. Doctor keeps calling her Impossible Girl (which sort of reduces her character to this mystery, Clara herself isn't that important) and it seems his sole purpose is to work her out, and as such Clara is just cute and adorable, like a lost puppy you want to return home but beyond that there's not much else to her character. And that doesn't make me care the way I cared about Amy or Donna - both of whom, by the way, were also sort of mysteries the Doctor tried to work out (Amy and her connection to those cracks in the universe especially), but it was never the main focus of a season. With Amy, Doctor even kept it a secret while he took Amy and Rory places - and it only came to light in the Rebel Flesh / Almost People. And what a great reveal that was! (Even though it was clear that something was up with Amy long before.)

Also, I noted that so far Clara hasn't really been travelling with Doctor - it seems he just comes over to her house every other day, takes her on an adventure and brings her home for tea. I think, their relationship could have developed more and we could've found out more if they were actually travelling the way the previous companions did.

However, I do love that in the last couple of years they've started shining more light on the TARDIS. I loved The Doctor's Wife and I thought Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS was pretty good too. I love that TARDIS is given more of a personality and that it reacts to things and stuff. I also, think that Journey was one of the better episodes of the season, I think, a lot of it was due to the interaction (so to speak) among the Doctor, the TARDIS and, to a lesser extent, Clara. Guest characters were pretty good too.
July 19, 2013, 06:20:22 AM
Reply #32

varza

• Varzaland
My son is 2... I walked in on him tonight and he was watching the 1st Season of Doctor Who on his own. I had no idea where to put this. This isn't the 1st time, he loves the Doctor. He doesn't speak much but that is one word he knows but he only associates it with the TV show. He is going to be SO disappointed when we go in for his next check up.
I am everywhere....
November 13, 2013, 08:43:40 PM
Reply #33

BillieMac

The Space Channel has been showing a semi- documentary series (apparently now on DVD) called Doctor Who: Doctors Revisited. A half hour of interview and episode clips, followed by a two-parter edited together, (or full serial in the case of the original series). Each doctor is showcased in order, one on Sat., one Sun.
Last Sat. it was the TV movie with Paul McGann. I'd only seen it once before, on the original broadcast, and this time an extraordinary line jumped out at me and said "boo".

The Doctor said he was half human on his mother's side. I can recall no previous or subsequent mention of this, and yet this movie has now been declared canon. Comments or further info, anybody?
November 14, 2013, 07:49:17 PM
Reply #34

roonwit

There is now a mini episode The Night of the Doctor up on the BBC Doctor Who website. It is arguably a slight spoiler for the 50th anniversary episode, but finishes with a trailer for the anniversary episode which is probably more of a spoiler.
November 15, 2013, 03:16:29 AM
Reply #35

nellythemarrow

There is now a mini episode The Night of the Doctor up on the BBC Doctor Who website. It is arguably a slight spoiler for the 50th anniversary episode, but finishes with a trailer for the anniversary episode which is probably more of a spoiler.
It's awesome, though! I love it, definitely the best sort of prequel they've done so far. And with a minisode like that I'm super excited for the 50th Anniversary episode itself. Rather than making me think of spoilers it makes me more hopeful about surprises, because for me The Night of the Doctor was definitely surprising with its content.

But yeah, it's true that
Spoiler
it makes it pretty certain that John Hurt's Doctor is a missing 9th regeneration who was the one in the Time War, confirming those theories. But with a little over a week to go before the episode, after plenty of weeks for us to speculate about that, I don't blame them for giving us that little answer, not when it came in the form of a regeneration scene. And it gives us a fresh question - does this regeneration mean that we're actually on the 12th Doctor with Matt Smith and that Peter Capaldi is playing the last Doctor? Even if the Doctor denies this 'War Doctor' as him, it still appears to be him physically and should count as a regeneration.

My main problem with that is just the length of the minisode. I wish it could have been a whole episode, even, it would have been great! So good to see Paul McGann again, though, however long it is. He was my first Doctor :heart: And so cool to have a follow up from the old Brain of Morbius story. It works very well in that respect.

The Doctor said he was half human on his mother's side. I can recall no previous or subsequent mention of this, and yet this movie has now been declared canon. Comments or further info, anybody?
Easy - denial. That's my response to the line. It contradicts so much of the rest of the show. The First Doctor's initial reaction to humans, his attitude to Time Lords and also all the multitudes of scans the Doctor's undergone over the years that have declared him to be basically a Time Lord. Not to mention that from a story point of view it undermines so much of the value of the Doctor's attitude to humanity. It's far less cool for a half-human to be so protective of humanity than for an alien who's been exiled from his only home. Then there's later contradictions like when the Tenth Doctor-Donna with his partially human biology (eg. one heart) reacts to it like it's completely new and strange. My opinion is just treat that line as it is - an odd mistake resulting from a collaboration of companies and countries where the majority of people involved knew very little about the show. I'm not going to let one writer's odd choice to have what for me is a major character deviation spoil what dozens of other writers have built up.

Eg. at the start of the movie (*spoilers for the movie, just in case*)
Spoiler
the Master is being exterminated by the Daleks on trial - er, since when did the Daleks have trials and why would they give one to a Time Lord? - and what's more this trial took place on their home planet Skaro, which the Doctor had blown up not that long ago in a previous episode. And then the Daleks apparently let the Doctor just turn up in order to take the Master's ashes away and honour his last wishes.
And those mistakes are just the in pre-title sequence.

For my part I absolutely adore the Movie because it was my only Doctor Who growing up and I loved it. And I'm very pleased the Eight Doctor is official. But I kind of imagine to myself that the movie is like a movie based on the 'real' events rather than what actually happened! There's just so much that's odd otherwise.
Spoiler
It raises the question why doesn't the Doctor bring every companion that dies back to life by travelling back in time somehow for one, which is a bad question.
But I love Paul McGann. He is all that is right with the movie and I can forgive them the whole thing for giving us his Doctor. His audio stories have been great ever since, too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:43:22 AM by nellythemarrow »

November 16, 2013, 09:40:50 PM
Reply #36

BillieMac

So good to see Paul McGann again, though, however long it is. He was my first Doctor :heart: And so cool to have a follow up from the old Brain of Morbius story. It works very well in that respect.
For my part I absolutely adore the Movie because it was my only Doctor Who growing up and I loved it.
Nelly, I know what you mean about loving your first Doctor. Even though David Tennant stole my heart, I'll always have a place there for Jon Pertwee. (His roles in the Carry On series don't hurt.)
I won't be able to see the minisode until after The Day of The Doctor airs, so I hope there's nothing in there that I need to see first.
November 20, 2013, 07:30:04 PM
Reply #37

BillieMac

TV Week has a nice publicity photo in the highlights section of Hurt, Tennant and Smith.
Sometimes a still will show something that gets missed in movement. Hurt is in front, and I noticed in the nice close-up that he's wearing what looks like the same leather jacket that Eccleston wore.

On this coming Saturday, The Space Channel has "to be announced" listed for most of the day. If it turns out to be all Doctor Who related programming, I won't be here.
November 26, 2013, 09:09:36 AM
Reply #38

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
OK, so, what did you think about the 50th Anniversary Special, guys?

The interactions between the three Doctors were so great! I especially love the War Doctor, teasing the other two Doctors about pointing the screwdriver and clothes and everything, it was hilarious!  :fredgeorge: It makes me want to see a series or at least a special/movie with just the War Doctor - sort of an insert into the canon Doctor Who timeline - even though it would probably be all about the time war, but I don't care.

The plot with Queen Elizabeth was kind of weird. Though she was pretty kickass, killing that Zygon and pretending to be it - that was cool. And she left the door to the cell unlocked and none of the Doctors even think about trying to just open it  :fredgeorge:

So, apparently Gallifrey has been saved - what do you think about that? 'Cause I'm not sure what I think. My first thought was that it kind of sucks, actually, since the sadness for destroying all those people has been such a defining quality of the rebooted Doctor (I did however love the spin that it is precisely the destroying he committed previously that made the Doctor save all those other worlds in the future), but I guess it's been getting kind of, you know, old in terms of storytelling - just going in circles with the sadness and guilt. It might be interesting to see the Doctor with a sense of hope (especially now that the Doctor will have the sort of gaunt face of Peter Capaldi - that should be an exciting combo). And, provided he finds Gallifrey, see him interact with other Time Lords.

There are a couple things bothering me though:

The Zygon plot left unresolved, and it had such a great premise. I love Kate Stewart, the UNIT boss. But we never found out what she and the Zygon worked out. That just bugs me.

What's with Tom Baker showing up? Do you think he was meant to be the Doctor? But how could he be since he regenerated before getting old? Is it like, previous Doctor incarnations are roaming the universe sort of like ghosts or something, timey wimey and everything? That would actually be kind of cool  :doctor10:
November 27, 2013, 11:33:06 PM
Reply #39

BillieMac

Kickassnoodle, things do get missed with the action and dialogue moving so quickly, but check out reply #12 in the DW 50th Anniversary thread. I noticed the details that respond to your complaints here, because one of them answered a question of mine.

I was telling my boyfriend about a list I've seen of fan nicknames for each Doctor.
The Grandfather, the Clown, the Dandy, the Hippie, the Innocent, the Weirdo, the Mystery (also Next Weirdo), the One Shot, the Wounded Warrior, the Hero and the General (also War God).
Between the One Shot and the Wounded Warrior we can now place the War Doctor.
My boyfriend is guessing that Paul Capaldi's Doctor will be called the Seeker.