September 24, 2018, 05:24:14 PM

Author Topic: The Perks of Seeing "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" Film  (Read 734 times)

October 15, 2012, 06:39:55 PM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
The long-anticipated The Perks of Being a Wallflower film is finally in theatres!  ;D Have you seen it yet?  Are you planning to see it?  Will you (or have you) read the book before catching the film?  If you've already done both, what did you think: was the film a faithful representation of the book?  Was it apparent to you that the book's author was also the film's screenwriter and director?  Do you approve of the casting -- did the actors fit your view of the characters from your reading?  Did you get a similar experience from seeing the film as you did from reading the book?

If you'd like to participate in more in-depth discussion on the non-book aspects of this film, please feel free to start a topic on it on Platform 2, the Film and TV forum.  :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
January 07, 2013, 12:22:52 PM
Reply #1

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
So, I finally got to watching this film. And I must say I loved it, pretty much. I mean, some changes from the book were to be expected and I always have faith when it's the author of the book who also writes the screenplay, because, surely, they must know best which events and stuff are essential to transferring the heart of the book to screen. And I think, Stephen Chbosky does not disappoint. It still feels very much like we're still in Charlie's head, so to speak, even though I like that the nature of film also allows us to see Charlie from a perspective as well.

I just wish Charlie's relationship with Mr Anderson was more explored, but then you can't fit every detail from the book into the movie. Also, the whole Aunt Helen thing was rather glossed over - my friends who watched the film without reading a book said they were rather confused as to what (if anything) happened there. But then, I suppose, you can't be too explicit in the movie in order to be able to show it to teens, and in the book, Charlie isn't being too specific either, but I guess in writing it's easier to hide stuff between the lines and trust the reader to pick up on things, and on screen, well, it's more difficult, there's less space to hide. All in all, Charlie's downward spiral was pretty much as painful to watch as it was to read, even though reading draws it out, so job well done.

Casting was well done, I think. Especially Charlie was spot-on, both acting- and looks-wise, his sister as well. As for other characters, Sam, Patrick, Mary-Elisabeth and Mr Anderson look nothing like I imagined, but they all fit well, I guess. Especially Paul Rudd as Mr Anderson, I think, I like his character a lot more now ;D Emma Watson grows on me as Sam, merely through acting, she and Charlie have this nice angsty friendship-coloured chemistry going on.