November 16, 2018, 06:12:20 AM

Poll

Author Topic: Poll: Your Friends and Family Favorites  (Read 1006 times)

October 21, 2012, 08:20:12 PM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
From "Patrick known as Patty known as Nothing" to "Punk Rocky" Mary Elizabeth, "wallflower" Charlie falls in with an interesting collection of misfit friends.  Which one of them became your favorite as you read The Perks of Being a Wallflower?  Or, did you most take a shine to one of Charlie's family members, or to Charlie himself?  Please vote in our poll above to let us know (you may choose more than one), than post below to tell us why this character is special to you.  :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
October 25, 2012, 12:06:29 AM
Reply #1

ginginkat

• Forum Moderator
I chose Bill, his teacher.   Charlie's character moved forward with Bill's help.   Charlie, through books, is not only able to see his way through his freshman year, but the books will also keep him moving forward.   I think we all remember certain teachers that have gone the extra step to help us through difficult times.    Bill does that for Charlie and the use of books. 
November 09, 2012, 09:25:22 PM
Reply #2

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
This is a difficult choice. I voted for Charlie, Patrick, and Sam. Patrick and Sam are the sort of cool friends who are really awesome, and at the same time somewhat flawed in some alarming manner (which can be said about a lot of characters in this book). Yet, my favourite has to be Charlie, who is not without his flaws either, of course. It's just that his way of thinking that I can so totally relate to - the way he's walking in the school halls looking at people and wondering how they feel or what they think or who they are. He appears a little weak - he just goes with the flow, does what he thinks his girlfriend wants (even if it clashes with what he feels) lets Patrick kiss him, and stuff, but after finishing the book I wonder if it might be coming from what Aunt Helen did to him.
November 15, 2012, 06:42:20 AM
Reply #3

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
I've joined each of you; I voted for Bill and for Charlie.  :)  There's so much unwritten about Bill that you can just see in him.  I love how he comes to find the best way (even though he is new to teaching) to really get inside Charlie's world through the sharing of his favorite books.  (I would love to be able to read one of Charlie's essays.)  But even though he doesn't seem like a really dynamic guy, he doesn't shy away from doing what he can to help Charlie grow.  He also takes the time to really listen to him, which I suspect that few people ever did.  He's a really neat guy and a great character.

I also chose Charlie because he is just easy to love.  He is so pure.  He is open to whatever he encounters in life and tries not to judge anyone too harshly.  He has an amazing capacity to care for others (not realizing that he may be neglecting to care for himself).  He makes mistakes, as we all do.  It was easy to follow in the journey of his story through his guileless eyes.  :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
December 08, 2012, 11:09:22 AM
Reply #4

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
You know, I'm actually a little surprised that you guys like Bill so much. I mean, after finishing the book I can see that he's one of the good guys and a good teacher and all, but at least at first I found him rather, well, suspicious and a tad to the creepy side. I don't know, maybe that's just my mistrustful nature or something, or maybe 'cause in stories like that those appearing to care and stuff often turn out to be, well, like Aunt Helen. I'm glad I was wrong about Bill. But still, I can't help wondering why he singled Charlie out? I mean, there must be other talented kids in that class, or just kids that need help, as well. Unless we just don't get to see him interact with other kids much because it's all written from Charlie's perspective.