June 19, 2018, 01:42:14 PM

Author Topic: Need help?  (Read 3351 times)

October 28, 2012, 06:19:29 PM

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Not sure how to use a forum function or need help with something else and can't find an answer on the FAQ page?  You've come to the right place!  You can post a question here and one of the staff members will reply as soon as possible.

If you prefer to contact us in private instead of posting your question publicly here, please feel free to use our personal messaging system to send a message to one of the Help Forum Moderators listed below.

If you are having trouble registering or logging in, you can contact us for help using one of these methods outside of the forum:

• Go to our Facebook page here and post your question or send us a private message.
  • Go to our Twitter page here and post your question or send us a private message.
  • Send us an email to: admin@discussionstation.com

Evreka ,
ss19 ,
Help Forum Moderators
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:28:27 PM by ss19 »

January 06, 2013, 07:04:21 AM
Reply #1

ironsos

Help! How do I add an avatar?  :'(
January 06, 2013, 08:57:15 AM
Reply #2

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Welcome ironsos

Adding an avatar is easy. First you need to put your image on an image hosting site. There are many available. Next you head into your profile (one of the choices above the site banner) and click on Forum Profile. There is a space to put the link from the hosting site.

Hope this helps  :D

January 06, 2013, 12:45:15 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Welcome ironsos

Adding an avatar is easy. First you need to put your image on an image hosting site. There are many available. Next you head into your profile (one of the choices above the site banner) and click on Forum Profile. There is a space to put the link from the hosting site.

Hope this helps  :D
Did this help you ironsos?

If you require more specific help, please post again and tell us where you are stuck and we can give a more step-by-step based help from where ever you are having difficulties.

1) Do you have an image to use?
2) Do you have a link to it from an account that is your own on any of the many free hosting sites such as Photobucket, Image Shack?
3) Are you stuck with inserting it here?

Good luck and don't hesitate to post again if you need more help! :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:48:55 PM by Evreka »
January 06, 2013, 08:53:14 PM
Reply #4

ironsos

Thank you for the help. As you can see image will not show. Tried gravatar first then image shack.
have refreshed and restarted. Image shack photo is still on my profile.
January 06, 2013, 09:00:04 PM
Reply #5

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Thank you for the help. As you can see image will not show. Tried gravatar first then image shack.

Have you copied the link from image shack into the Forum Settings and changed the option to Specify avatar by URL?

January 06, 2013, 09:18:43 PM
Reply #6

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I've just checked your Profile to try and see what the problem is.

When you enter the link to your image it must end with the file extension of your image, but you have an extra '/' at the end. Ie it should read something like:

http://myurl/subdirs/myPhoto.jpg

NOT:
http://myurl/subdirs/myPhoto.jpg/

Get ridd of the last '/' and it should work just fine. :)

(In case someone else ever has a similar problem: No it doesn't have to be a jpg image, but in this case it is.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:22:17 PM by Evreka »
January 06, 2013, 11:00:31 PM
Reply #7

LillianJames

Hi, I had the same problem and tried the above suggestions.  I still can't get my avatar image to show up. I used one I had on Image Shack and had used on the Leaky--gif form.  Help, please?
Lillian James
January 06, 2013, 11:48:44 PM
Reply #8

ss19

• Administrator
Hi, I had the same problem and tried the above suggestions.  I still can't get my avatar image to show up. I used one I had on Image Shack and had used on the Leaky--gif form.  Help, please?
Hi, LillianJames :)

I checked your avatar image URL, and it looks like you put in the one for the image page on Image Shack, not the image file itself.  Go to the URL you put in, then when you see the image page, right-click on the image and you should see a pop-up window showing you the URL for the image file.  Copy that and use that for the avatar image instead, and it should work.  Please let me know if you're still having trouble. :)

And actually, ironsos, your avatar image URL has the same problem.  Follow the steps I outlined above, and it should work. :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:56:38 PM by ss19 »
January 07, 2013, 05:07:45 AM
Reply #9

ironsos

Thank you very much for the help. I am going to go through my pictures for a new avatar.
Till then Bono will have to do.  8)
January 07, 2013, 09:59:03 PM
Reply #10

Pleione

Hello, TDS peeps. 

I was wondering if there is a board or user/profile setting that will allow the board to reflect my local time.  I've poked around the profile settings and haven't found it yet.

Thanks!
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.   -A.A. Milne
January 08, 2013, 12:43:17 AM
Reply #11

Potter2005

Hover over Profiles at the top and click Accounts Settings in the list.  Then hover over where it says Modify Profile and then click on Look and Layout. The option to set it to your time is at the top.
January 08, 2013, 04:28:09 AM
Reply #12

Pleione

Hover over Profiles at the top and click Accounts Settings in the list.  Then hover over where it says Modify Profile and then click on Look and Layout. The option to set it to your time is at the top.

Worked like a charm!  Thank you!   :)
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.   -A.A. Milne
January 08, 2013, 05:02:37 AM
Reply #13

LillianJames

Success--Yay!!! Thanks for your help, ss19!
Lillian James
January 13, 2013, 11:29:14 PM
Reply #14

Marielle

I don't know if it is me who can't find it, or if this is simply not available, but is there a way we can have a pop up when we receive a personal mail?

I got one today and it was a good thing I also got an email, because I definitely hadn't notice the little grey area on the top right of the screen.  :)
January 14, 2013, 05:09:15 PM
Reply #15

ss19

• Administrator
I don't know if it is me who can't find it, or if this is simply not available, but is there a way we can have a pop up when we receive a personal mail?

I got one today and it was a good thing I also got an email, because I definitely hadn't notice the little grey area on the top right of the screen.  :)
Hi Marielle, :)

Thank you very much for your question and feedback.  You're right that it's not easy to see or notice the small area near the top of the screen that shows us when we have a personal message waiting for us.  Yes, we do have the option of having a popup window alert us when we receive a personal message, but as is evident by your question, that's not easy to find either.  :)

I have therefore decided to change the default setting for the popup option to "ON" for all our members across the board.  That way everyone knows the option is there and doesn't miss any personal messages until they are able to find out how to change the setting.  The option has now been turned on for all our members.  Anyone who would like to turn the popup notices OFF can go to this FAQ entry here and follow the instructions.

Marielle, I will send you a test personal message so you can see whether the popup works. :)

ss19
DS Tekkie and Help Forum Moderator
January 14, 2013, 07:01:29 PM
Reply #16

Marielle

It works. Now I feel like Frankenstein LOL  though I did nothing :D

Thanks a lot. Now I know what I did wrong *faceplam*, I had mouse over the "profile" icon on top, and there are only three options there. I hadn't thought of going into the other one lower.
April 13, 2013, 05:20:30 PM
Reply #17

blue_dreamer

When I try and upload and avatar I am asked to pick one from the gallery or insert a URL. Not wanting a gallery one as I want an HP one. Way back when I used to have a photobucket account for uploading such things (I used to make them myself), however it's so old I'm not sure it's still going. I'm wondering how others choose their avatars?

Is there no way at all of uploading them from your PC?
April 13, 2013, 07:37:29 PM
Reply #18

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Welcome back to DS, blue_dreamer!

When I try and upload and avatar I am asked to pick one from the gallery or insert a URL. Not wanting a gallery one as I want an HP one. Way back when I used to have a photobucket account for uploading such things (I used to make them myself), however it's so old I'm not sure it's still going. ...

Is there no way at all of uploading them from your PC?
You can use an avatar from your PC, it is just that you can not make DS host it for you. So what you need to do is to:
1) Choose an avatar to use.
2) Upload it to some image hosting site, such as Photobucket for instance. If you can no longer login to an old account, you'll have to register for a new one.
3) Get the URL to your loaded image on the site you chose.
4) Use it here. :)

I'm wondering how others choose their avatars?
If you mean why we chose the avatars we did, I think it's a great topic idea for Off-Topic.  :harry:

If you mean it as a more technical question, I think we all have images linked from an image site.  :harry:

Did this help, or did you mean something else? If so, let us know!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:29:00 PM by Evreka »
August 20, 2013, 06:03:49 PM
Reply #19

siena

I would like to know how Potter2005 and others managed to create a HP-related image as an avatar. I would really like to have a Fwooper as my picture, would one of you guys upload it for me as I haven't got the faintest idea how to do it, even with the instructions here .... :-[