April 26, 2018, 08:06:29 PM

Author Topic: Need help?  (Read 3203 times)

August 21, 2013, 09:46:54 PM
Reply #20

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I would like to know how Potter2005 and others managed to create a HP-related image as an avatar. I would really like to have a Fwooper as my picture, would one of you guys upload it for me as I haven't got the faintest idea how to do it, even with the instructions here .... :-[
siena, there are two steps needed when adding an avatar image.  First, you need to create the image you want to use, or find an existing image you want and download it to your computer (making sure it's an image you're allowed to use under copyright laws).  Second, you need to upload the image you have to a photo-sharing account (set up an account first if you don't already have one) and link to the image for your avatar.

Are you looking for help with both of these steps, or do you already have the image and just need help with the second step?
August 22, 2013, 03:30:15 PM
Reply #21

siena

Ahem .... I would need help with both steps really .... :ashamed: but please don't worry if you don't have the time, it's not that important ...

There is a beautiful fwooper image here: http://www.elfwood.com/~tarnowski/fwooper.3273762.html but I have no idea if it's protected ....
August 25, 2013, 03:12:56 AM
Reply #22

ss19

• Administrator
OK, I'll send you a private message about this, siena, and go from there.
February 10, 2014, 05:15:38 AM
Reply #23

Laura W

Blast!  It takes me a year and a half to decide to join DS, I make one post, and - wouldn't you know it? - I have a computer-type problem already.  (grumble, grumble)

Sometimes I like to write a portion of my post in a different colour or font; for emphasis or just to differentiate it from the rest.  I tried to do that in my one contribution today. But without success.

Let's say the phrase I want to do this with is "move the mountains". 

So, I went to the "Change Color" box and clicked it.  A whole bunch of colour choices came down and i clicked "purple".  Instead of the phrase "move the mountain" - which I had highlighted, of course - appearing in purple, I got the following in my message to DS: 
(color=purple)move the mountain(/color)

When I did the same thing with the "Font Face" box, I got
(font=times new roman)move the mountain(/font)
and the text - which I had highlighted, of course - was not written in TNR.

What am I doing wrong?

February 10, 2014, 01:25:41 PM
Reply #24

ss19

• Administrator
Laura, welcome to DS, first of all!

Re formatting part of your post with a different color or font, you were doing everything right, but just didn't realize it.  The [color=purple] and [/color] you saw around "move the mountain" are the special tags the forum software uses to tell itself that you want the phrase surrounded by those tags to appear in purple.  When you saw [color=purple]move the mountain[/color] in the reply window after you clicked on "purple" from the list of font colors, if you had gone ahead and put in the post, "move the mountain" would have appeared in purple in the actual post.

If you want to see what the post will actually look like before you commit (before you put in the final post, that is), there's a 'Preview' button to the right of the 'Post' button that allows you to check the post and see if all the font colors, etc, look OK to you.

Or, there's a second way...although some browsers don't seem to allow this, so this may not work for you on your computer.  The forum software actually gives you 2 options in terms of how you want your reply window to behave when you put in these formatting tags.  Option 1 is the default and is what you saw.  The reply window displays the formatting tags in those square brackets but doesn't show you what the final post will look like (unless you click on the 'Preview' button to open up a preview window).  Option 2, on the other hand, will show you exactly what the final post will look like - ie it will turn "move the mountain" purple for you instead of showing those confusing formatting tags.  It sounds like option 2 might be what you would prefer and what you are used to.  (The Leaky Lounge's forum software also gave us these 2 options but I think the default there was option 2.)

To switch between the 2 options in the reply window, there is a row of icons under where you choose what font face/size/color you want.  All the way to the right of that list is an icon that looks like an arrow enclosed in square brackets.  Click on that to switch between the 2 options.

To make option 2 the permanent default for your account (so you don't need to start with option 1 and click to switch to option 2 every time you put in a post):
1 - Near the very top of the page, hover over 'Profile', then click on the 'Forum Profile' option from the drop-down list that appears.
2 - Look under the DS train picture, under where it says 'Profile of Laura W', hover over 'Modify Profile', then click on the 'Look and Layout' option from the drop-down list.
3 - Check off 'Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.'
4 - Click on 'Change profile' near the bottom right corner of the screen to save the new default.
That should do it (assuming your computer will allow this).

I hope this helps.  Let me know if anything isn't clear or if you need anything else.
February 10, 2014, 01:47:42 PM
Reply #25

siena

Laura I'm so happy to read you here  :)

You have been missed - but you are here now, so all is well  :)
March 03, 2015, 05:56:30 PM
Reply #26

eowyngirl

I finally made an account here after a couple years of mourning the Leaky forums, but I'm having a problem adding a profile pic. The image I'm trying to add is on Google (Picasaweb), and while I have the image link, each time I try to save my profile after adding the image link, I still don't have a profile pic. Help?
March 03, 2015, 07:04:15 PM
Reply #27

ss19

• Administrator
Hi, eowyngirl:welcome: Welcome to the Discussion Station!  And welcome to the club.  I'm still mourning Leaky Lounge as well, and still check periodically to see if it might be back online.  :'(

I looked at your profile and don't see an image link entered for your profile pic.  Where did you put it?  It should be Modify Profile, then Forum Profile, and under Personalized Picture, choose 'Specifiy avatar by URL', then put the link in the box to the right.  Remember to click 'Change profile' at the bottom of the page to save the changes.

If you're still having trouble, you can also send me your image link in a private message and I'll add it for you.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:10:26 PM by ss19 »
March 03, 2015, 07:09:57 PM
Reply #28

eowyngirl

That's what I've done, but when I save, for some reason it goes back to the previous setting. And I don't think it's a problem with changing settings in general, because I added my birthday...anyway, I'll just message you the link.
March 03, 2015, 07:52:38 PM
Reply #29

ss19

• Administrator
That's what I've done, but when I save, for some reason it goes back to the previous setting. And I don't think it's a problem with changing settings in general, because I added my birthday...anyway, I'll just message you the link.

Hmm, it's not letting me save your image link either for some reason.  I'm going to look into it.  In the meantime I've uploaded your image so you have something there until I can figure out the problem with saving the image link.
March 03, 2015, 08:22:33 PM
Reply #30

eowyngirl

Hmm, it's not letting me save your image link either for some reason.  I'm going to look into it.  In the meantime I've uploaded your image so you have something there until I can figure out the problem with saving the image link.

Thank you!
March 03, 2015, 08:30:42 PM
Reply #31

ss19

• Administrator
No problem. :)

I think I've figured out the problem.  It looks like the image link needs to start with http://   The Google Picasaweb link started with https:// which has the extra 's' to indicate secure connections.  The forum software didn't like that, apparently.  After I took out the 's' it let me save the link.  Google will redirect from http:// to https:// so that should be fine.
April 28, 2015, 07:39:03 AM
Reply #32

eowyngirl

Aha! Thank you for checking it out - and sorry it took me so long to respond!