July 22, 2018, 07:30:43 PM

Author Topic: The Casual Vacancy MiniSeries  (Read 1809 times)

December 04, 2012, 01:44:07 AM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
The Casual Vacancy Mini-Series

A casual look at what's to come

Today BBC made an announcement that they are going to collaborate with JK Rowling to write a mini-series of The Casual Vacancy.  For more information check out the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20581286

Alright, sooo who is game to make some Trelawney-like predictions about this adaptation?

The director?
Main actors?
How many episodes?
What do you all think?

Please feel free to leave your thoughts on this exciting news!

December 05, 2012, 07:39:33 AM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I was rather baffled when I read this. A mini series of CV?

I wonder if reading about some of these things would be easier or worse than seeing them...? Also, there are so much that happens inside the characters: their wishes and problems and thoughts are many times totally internal. How to portray that on TV?

And the ending... This isn't a happy mini series to see, at ALL.

For my part it is fairly unlikely it will be shown here, but you who have access to BBC's mini series, will you see it? Do you look forward to it - or does the thought of seeing it dramatized struck you as odd or something you might feel apprehensive to see? Or is it all good drama?

What do you think?
December 06, 2012, 03:16:50 AM
Reply #2

Marielle

Being Human (BBC version) was grim and dark and sad and well totally fictional (though I drop watching the show with the latest season, it just wasn't the same without the original cast). Still they were able on that show to portrait the internal struggles of the characters, so I am sure it can be done for regular human beings with different level of dysfunction.

Now as to will I want to watch it? If it was just a regular TV show made by some nobody? No. Well if CV had been written by some nobody, I wouldn't have read it either, cause that type of book isn't my cup of tea. Now since I have read the book, I will probably want to watch it, just to see how they translated it to the TV medium, that is if the show will be available here to watch.
January 05, 2013, 09:47:20 PM
Reply #3

Potter2005

I nominate Lizzie Mickery as screen writer and Richard Griffiths to play the character of Howard Mollison.

January 05, 2013, 11:07:07 PM
Reply #4

CFLappraizer

I truly do not know if making a mini series is all that good of an idea.  I was not very fond of the story and to see it on the big picture would not be something I would like. 
The writing was good and the story was good however I can not understand how or why educated people need to use the language that was too frequently used by all characters.   I can not imagine that they professionals within the story would actually speak the way that the did in the book.
Just an opinion.
January 13, 2013, 06:32:33 AM
Reply #5

varza

• Varzaland
I just started the book and I can see it doing very well as a mini-series. All the characters and the mixed intrigue. Very good soap opera television! Personally, I am loving the story so far.

A few seasons at least - about 7 epis a season. Richard Griffiths would be awesome as Howard. I really don't have any mental image of the other characters yet. Yet Fats does remind me of the tall, skinny, big earred guy from Trainspotting.
I am everywhere....
January 16, 2013, 12:19:50 PM
Reply #6

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I wouldn't be surprised if they do not approach a mini series adaptions chronologicially, but maybe do an episode from X's point of view, then move to another character for the next. It would follow how Rowling skips between characters. Hence I could also see varza's idea of a few seasons, if the public goes with it. The book is not rounded off with one story. Many plotlines intermingle, and we just happen to drop into the goingson for a certain time period. A tv series could explore the before and after, as well as go into some side plotlines more.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
January 21, 2013, 09:07:22 AM
Reply #7

varza

• Varzaland
That is an idea atschpe... They could maybe set up the beginning of the novel in a season with giving the backstory a bit. Show Barry building the rowing team, some of the drama going on with the council ahead of time.

Oh! And I figured out the perfect person for Vikram! Nigel Barker!
I am everywhere....
January 28, 2013, 06:38:31 AM
Reply #8

varza

• Varzaland
I looked earlier this week and there wasn't a page on IMDB.com for it yet but there is now:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2554946/?ref_=sr_1
I am everywhere....
April 13, 2013, 04:21:33 PM
Reply #9

blue_dreamer

If they were to make a mini series I would rather it would be full series so they could do it proper justice.

I wonder if the BBC drama writes we love to loath will be involved... it would be great to see some HP people in the cast though, just for continuity's sake. I hope they age the kids properly too because there's nothing worse than seeing older people fail to play younger people (coughg.l.e.ecough). For my two pence I'd have the girl who plays Rani in SJA as Suhkvinder or Carmen from Tracey Beaker, though she might be a bit young, and Elektra from TB for Krystal. Those kids are great.
September 25, 2014, 08:36:27 PM
Reply #10

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I looked earlier this week and there wasn't a page on IMDB.com for it yet but there is now:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2554946/?ref_=sr_1
This page now has a cast list and there is a new article in Mail Online about the first photos from the filming of the Casual Vacancy.

Apparently Gambon is playing Vernon ahem I meant Howard  :ashamed: - some moral compass shift between characters, there... 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:51:34 PM by Evreka »
September 27, 2014, 02:39:31 AM
Reply #11

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Apparently Gambon is playing Vernon - some moral compass shift between characters, there...
Thanks for the heads up on that. I had no idea they had started to shoot the series. I had to doubletake what you were talking about with Gambon .. I assume you mean that Gambon is playing the Vernon-like character, Howard Mollison. Yes, that is quite a turn of events! I am very excited that HBO is co-producing. They always seem to do a top notch job with series.
September 27, 2014, 02:59:39 PM
Reply #12

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Apparently Gambon is playing Vernon - some moral compass shift between characters, there...
Thanks for the heads up on that. I had no idea they had started to shoot the series. I had to doubletake what you were talking about with Gambon .. I assume you mean that Gambon is playing the Vernon-like character, Howard Mollison. Yes, that is quite a turn of events! I am very excited that HBO is co-producing. They always seem to do a top notch job with series.
Um sorry 'bout that!  :ashamed: Yes, I meant Howard Mollison, who really is quite Vernon-like, which probably accounts for the slip of quill...

I still can't see how this very dark tale will work as a TV series, but it's none-the-less interesting that they've started shooting it. Mostly I tend to think that CV came out quite some time ago; and then you realise we opened DS early due to its publication date, and you realise it was just two years ago!

Are you more excited about the TV series now that you've seen the images? Do the characters on the photoes match your mental image of them?