August 17, 2018, 07:57:56 PM

Author Topic: The dozenth day of the dozenth month of the dozenth year this century  (Read 2785 times)

March 04, 2014, 06:32:10 PM
Reply #20

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
March 3rd - the 3rd day of the 3rd month is 'I Want You to be Happy Day'. It is a Day to remember to be thoughtful of others even when you may not be having the best of days. ...

So to all of you - I wish you a wonderful  'I Want You to be Happy Day!'  :hearts:
Awww, what a lovely tradition!  :hug: Is it a local tradition to where you live or how did you learn of it?

Either way, I wish the same to you and all other DS'ers!  :train:  :hug:
March 04, 2014, 09:38:19 PM
Reply #21

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
March 3rd - the 3rd day of the 3rd month is 'I Want You to be Happy Day'. It is a Day to remember to be thoughtful of others even when you may not be having the best of days. ...

So to all of you - I wish you a wonderful  'I Want You to be Happy Day!'  :hearts:
Awww, what a lovely tradition!  :hug: Is it a local tradition to where you live or how did you learn of it?

Funny you should ask! Harriette Grimes the sponsor of this day is in my writing group. In 1995 it was officially declared a Holiday in Winter Garden, Florida and has taken off since then.  It's now on the national (USA) list of official holidays. Harriette says she often would get phone calls from around the world from reporters or talk show hosts about this day. So it obviously is supported around the world. It is now listed in The Chase Calender of Events Book.

She told us this story: In 1990 her grandson, who was then 4years old, broke his wrist. At the hospital the nurses gave him a sticker for being such a brave boy. When he got home his 3 month old brother started to cry and fuss. He took off the sticker, put it on his brother's hand and told his brother, " I want you to have this because I want you to be happy." That's where the idea came from. She has been campaigning for the day ever since. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-02-29/news/9202290099_1_grimes-happy-day-card-paczki
March 14, 2014, 05:56:31 PM
Reply #22

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Happy Pi Day!

Started in 1988 in the US (which lists dates in the month/day format), today, 3/14 is Pi Day, representing the mathematical ratio of π , which is equal to 3.14159...  Pi describes the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter in this way: c/d=π (or c = πd).  The easiest way to celebrate Pi Day is to enjoy a nice slice of pie!  Pizza pie is also acceptable.  :nod: The other way is to talk about or explore some mathy subjects, with an eye toward circles.

If you'd like to learn more about pi, here is A Brief History of Pi, from San Francisco's Science museum Exploratorium (home of Pi Day's founder, Larry Shaw), or to really do it up see this Activities page.

And for those of you who write your dates in the day/month format, today is still 14/3/14, so I think that's also pretty much Pi Day right there.  ;)

It's also Albert Einstein's birthday!  :flower:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
April 16, 2014, 08:39:23 PM
Reply #23

BillieMac

Thought this might interest people. (When I clicked "preview", it didn't link properly, and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry.)
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/happy-palindrome-week-150736417.html
April 17, 2014, 04:50:19 AM
Reply #24

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Thought this might interest people. (When I clicked "preview", it didn't link properly, and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry.)
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/happy-palindrome-week-150736417.html
From the linked page:

This interesting fact of course requires a certain date format - but it is still fun!   :lol:
June 15, 2014, 05:27:24 AM
Reply #25

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Today's date, 2014/6/14, reads as "loving you (for) one age and (another) one age" in Chinese.
June 15, 2014, 08:07:37 AM
Reply #26

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Today's date, 2014/6/14, reads as "loving you (for) one age and (another) one age" in Chinese.
It seems like 2014 is a year that inspires a lot of thoughts of love in the Chinese speaking parts of the world. :) If I understood it correctly the year itself sounds as "loving you one age", :heart: which is beautiful in its own too.    :ronhermionehug:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:09:50 AM by Evreka »