September 24, 2018, 11:27:44 AM

Author Topic: JKR Newsletter  (Read 1642 times)

December 12, 2012, 10:32:20 PM

Marielle

I got this email from JK Rowling.com and I was wondering if this is a scam or if this is legit.  I am always afraid to click when I get  email like this. I went on her site and there is no mention of a contest.  Are there any other people here who got this? (Naturally the images that were in the email didn't transfer from the copy and paste)

Win a signed copy of 'The Casual Vacancy'
Inbox
   x
jkrowling.com no-reply@jkrowling.com via mail35.us1.mcsv.net

9:44 AM (7 hours ago)

to me

Win a signed copy of The Casual Vacancy

As the festive season approaches, the team at jkrowling.com is delighted to be giving away three signed copies of the English language edition of The Casual Vacancy, J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

Since publication in September the novel has achieved critical acclaim and signed copies are rare.

‘A needle-sharp and darkly comic expose of today’s class-ridden society…
A highly readable morality tale for our times’
 Emma Lee-Potter, Daily Express

‘One marvels at the skill with which Rowling weaves such vivid characters in and out of each other’s lives’
 Christopher Brookmyre, Daily Telegraph

The prize draw opens at 2pm Wednesday 12th December and entries must be received by midnight Monday 17th December. Please note that to enter this competition you must be 18 or over (please see full Terms and Conditions).

We will pick three names at random in order to select the winners, who will be notified by email.

Good luck!

The jkrowling.com team

Click Here to Enter

twitter facebook                                                                

www.jkrowling.com is a site operated by J.K. Rowling Website Limited. The company is a limited company registered in Engand and Wales under company number 7952828 and its registered office is at 5th Floor, 89 New Bond Street. London W18 1DA.

Website and publishing rights TM and © JK Rowling 2012
Harry Potter motion picture images © and TM Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc
        Unsubscribe    

Sent to marielleau@gmail.com — why did I get this?
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences
J.K. Rowling Website Limited · 1st Floor · 8-14 Vine Hill · London, Eng EC1R 5DX    

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:37:51 AM by Marielle »

December 12, 2012, 11:00:33 PM
Reply #1

merrythought

I can't say for sure that it's legit, but I received the same email.
December 12, 2012, 11:45:24 PM
Reply #2

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I too received it and found no additional info on her site, which I went to. I also attempted to resubmit my email address as in signing up for the newsletter again, as that's how I interpreted the info under Terms and Conditions, and then I was only told I was already on the submission list so I am completely at loss here, too.

Also TLC has no info on this (yet), which isn't very reassuring ...  :-\

Weird.... When I looked at your copy here I realised you had a line "Click here to enter" that I don't see in my email (which apparently is because my letter hasn't collected the images yet and then the text is white on white background which doesn't show of course. However the "here" takes you to this address:
http://jkrowling.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?....

which is interesting... It MAY be Jo's, but it isn't under jkrowling.com. It looks like a possible scam but might still be perfectly legitimite. Anyone else knowing?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:53:54 PM by Evreka »
December 13, 2012, 12:36:30 AM
Reply #3

Marielle

The "Click here to enter" is written in a purple box, which, like the other images, aren't showing in the copy and paste.

And as you say, since this isn't showing on her site, nor Leaky, nor Facebook, nor Twitter.....I am starting to be scared too!  :-\

Then again if we are several who received this, either it is OK or we all got scam!  :o
December 13, 2012, 04:22:09 AM
Reply #4

Armoracia

• Forum Moderator
    • The Emotional Range of a Teaspoon
I also got the email, but my life is unbelievably, crazy hectic at the moment and I didn't follow it up to see what was going on. I admit, I was a bit surprised to see something from JKR's site, since I haven't gotten anything from it before (although, come to think of it, i vaguely remember signing up for notices at one point, i think)
December 15, 2012, 09:31:15 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I asked around about this and was told the domain seemed to be a good one. So today I went there and you are taken to a form on jkrowling.com so this IS legitimate. :D
December 17, 2012, 11:50:52 PM
Reply #6

Marielle

Thanks a lot, I am glad to know this is all good. Best of luck to all who enters!  ;D