January 23, 2018, 04:01:18 AM

Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 27872 times)

January 20, 2013, 05:22:40 AM

varza

• Varzaland
So, figured it would be nice to have a place to post what we are reading at the moment... and track it for the year and such.

What have you read so far this year and what are you currently reading?

So far this year:
I,Robot by Asimov
Casual Vacancy by Rowling
Silver Linings Playbook

Currently:
Foundation by Asimov

Any reading goals? I am attempting to read a lot of those books that people consider must reads and reference a lot. You know the books that when people talk about them you nod along cause you know what they are talking about but never mention you haven't actually read it.

I am everywhere....
January 20, 2013, 10:16:46 AM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
How lovely to see this thread pop up, varza;D

I've kept a list of everything I've read per year for eight years now and have partial lists for 2003 and 2004 too. It's such a wonderful thing to go back and see what I've read in this time frame. And the habit started with precisely this kind of thread in a long gone community... Great memories! :D

So far, I have finished only two small books this year:
The Tree Fairies by Mary Cicely Barker
This is a delightful mini book with Enchanting drawings and poems (no doubt intended for children) which fell into my possession when I inherited a huge amount of books after an elderly relative a few years ago. 

Handbok ... för... tankspridda by Johan Rapp (Swedish book which would have been Handbook... for... Absent-Minded in English)
Roughly ten years ago a Swede founded De tankspriddas riksförbund (Swedish link) which more recently has got an international counterpart The Association for Distracted People and the absent-minded and forgetful all in a combination of good humour and seeing the need for Absent-Minded people (and more) to get help to get through their days. The Association never knows how many members it has, as many forgets to pay the fee! ;) To apply for membership, people have to explain why they think they belong there, and this has, over the years, meant a lot of ROFL material coming their way. The book I read, which as far as I know, only exists in Swedish, includes quite a few such.  ;D  Two of the stories in the book, and some others, can be found in English, here though, to give you some idea.

Thanks to this book I now know that I am not Seriously Absent-Minded, at least... ;)

Currently, I have far too many books going, but I am trying to finish them so I'll get back to having just one or maybe two simultaneous reads. More about those later.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:26:50 AM by Evreka »
January 20, 2013, 02:14:35 PM
Reply #2

Marielle

I never kept track of the books I read in the past, now since I am on Goodread, I suppose I can say I do, since it does it for me automatically, that also means a lot of book I read several years in the past (way before I even learn about Goodread are lost somewhere inside in my memory).
That wasn't the main reason I originally join though, it was mainly to know what my friends were reading, an easy way to get direct and indirect book recommendation.

I have just finished late last night, or very early today, Secret Life of a Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks, a giggle a minute book, that series is so funny, and since I needed some good uncomplicated laugh (my mother getting out of the hospital after being there for a little over a week, because she had heart problems) it was a welcome thing the library had received this book.

Now I am torn, I would like to start another book, but next Tuesday (Jan 22) Ever After by Kim Harrison will be out :D, and I am afraid I will start a book and it will be so good I might not want to stop reading it.
 I have been there a when Cold Days by Jim Butcher was out last November, I was so engulf in The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks I didn't want to stop reading it, and I knew Cold Days was excellent, because a Facebook friend of mine had receive an Arc copy of it and loved it, and she had never read any of the Dresden books before. It had been a very horrible bookish moment  ;)

So I guess this mean I will go the the one having lowest rating (Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden), though I know sometimes this means absolutely nothing, but this one has mix review, seems like a hate it or a like it book, so if I am not finished by Tuesday, hopefully I will be able to put it a side without guilt.  :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:01:06 PM by Marielle »
January 20, 2013, 06:56:24 PM
Reply #3

Armoracia

• Forum Moderator
    • The Emotional Range of a Teaspoon
That's a good point about Goodreads, Marielle. I belong there also, but i keep forgetting to enter my books! I really should, because I have a memory like a leaky sieve.

As far as I remember, so far this year I have completed 2 books: The Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks (listened to this via Audible while in the car) which was surprisingly well-done, if occasionally a bit repetitive, and PS/SS, as part of my New Year's resolution. Currently, I'm reading 3 books: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, which I received as a gift - excellent book! -, The Eyre Affair (a re-listen in the car), and COS, which I just re-started. I used to have many more books than this going at one time, but I've slowed down in recent years. More's the pity!

Isaac Asimov is one of my all-time favorite authors. It is about time I re-read the Foundation trilogy. I need to put that on my list and see if Audible has a decent narrator! Also up soon is the latest by Mercedes Lackey - that'll probably be an ebook - and some mystery, just because I'm in the mood for a good mystery. I may have to go over to the suggestions thread and ask!
January 20, 2013, 07:21:03 PM
Reply #4

Marielle

I was pretty good at entering my books on Goodreads, which was a good thing, since I recently accidentally delete my "book cart" (it is the section where I can store all the book I want to read at my public library). I had about 170 some books in there. No fun trying to find them all again, and some where books recommendation. *Sigh* So I created another shelf on Goodreads just for that, if I goof again, at least I have a back up.  :)
January 20, 2013, 08:36:34 PM
Reply #5

pleshette

• Staffer
I've been keeping track of what I've read for the past three years. Two of those years on Goodreads and on my blog. I love looking back to see what I've read each year. So far this year, I've reread two books: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (I'm rereading the whole series this year to prepare for the next installment) and Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor which is the first in a YA fantasy trilogy. I'm currently reading the second book by Taylor, Days of Blood and Starlight and loving every word!

As for goals, I try not to set too high of a goal because I get a little crazy with myself if I don't seem to be reading "fast enough." Last year I read 26 books and this year I set a Goodreads goal of the same.
January 20, 2013, 10:50:05 PM
Reply #6

Marielle

I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor and liked it very much, and heard from a few other people the second book is also very good too.

As for my reading goal, I notice I forgot that part earlier  :-[, in 2111 I read way too many books and didn't had much time for anything else, so last year I cut my goal too 100. It also gave me time to do some exercise ( got register for some aqua form lesson two times a week).
 I kept the same goal for this year, some of the novel I read are very long (those are usually epic fantasy ones), but a lot are very short silly historical romance, so I think I should reach it too this year as well. And if something really unexpected happen....I can always decrease my goal and still makes it look like I archived it  ;D
January 21, 2013, 03:42:51 AM
Reply #7

varza

• Varzaland
I have never tracked - always end up forgetting and then not getting back to it. Part of my goal this year is to try and track. I am a GoodReads member as well! We should try and find each other on there!
Now I am torn, I would like to start another book, but next Tuesday (Jan 22) Ever After by Kim Harrison will be out :D, and I am afraid I will start a book and it will be so good I might not want to stop reading it.
Might be a good time for some short stories? I have the same issue.
I am everywhere....
January 21, 2013, 12:35:50 PM
Reply #8

Marielle

So far I am lucky with it. LOL, I read about a chapter, then the kids ask for soemhting....then had to do the groceries, and then notice one of my winter boot was broken, had to shop for a new pair, and it is almost impossible to find a descend pair of snow boot in January, because stores are starting to put out flip flops and bathing suits.  :o Yeah I know crazy! So last evening end up re-reading the first chapter and kids storm in again. Guess what I will try to read today?   ;)

As for Goodreads, I put the link to my signature, there is also chances that I put a link that might work only for me  :-\ I am not sure, it could be something possible. So if it don't work just tell me.  :D
January 22, 2013, 12:42:39 AM
Reply #9

Pepper

I'm reading James Patterson's 5th Horseman.  I love this series.  I'm also reading the Five Languages of Love.   
January 22, 2013, 01:13:45 AM
Reply #10

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I'm reading the HP series again, I haven't read the whole series since DH came out, I'm just about to start HBP.  Having watched the movies quite a few times it's good to read them again and remember how the story really progressed rather than how it's portrayed on screen.  I did think about starting up Goodreads but I've already got all my books on Shelfari and can't face entering them all again - I've more than a thousand on there - so I think I'll just stick with that.  It tells me that I read 41 books last year and that as I haven't read 41 this year so far I'm currently behind, hmm.

January 22, 2013, 03:14:20 AM
Reply #11

Marielle

I really don't understand why you are behind, this totally baffles me!  ;)

And don't go straining yourself at entering those books, when you have the quantity you do, it is simply too much work!
January 22, 2013, 07:10:04 AM
Reply #12

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
I'm currently reading the second book by Taylor, Days of Blood and Starlight and loving every word!

As for goals, I try not to set too high of a goal because I get a little crazy with myself if I don't seem to be reading "fast enough." Last year I read 26 books and this year I set a Goodreads goal of the same.

I'm reading DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT too and I am totally in love with this series. It's beyond amazing.

I set a target of 35 books on Goodreads this year. Last year it was 50 which I just completed. This year's is lower because I have some writing deadlines to reach but I also want to read a couple of George R.R. Martin novels which are a bazillion pages long.
January 22, 2013, 02:34:52 PM
Reply #13

SnapesSister

• Forum Moderator
I'm another one who is currently reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. It's so good, I'm about 3/4 of the way through and have barely been able to put it down. A few of my Goodreads pals had read it and given it five stars, so I put aside a copy at work while I was putting out the new book releases.  ;D I'm glad I did; I think it's going to be one of those books that sticks with me for a long time.

A couple of days ago I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - another Goodreads recommendation. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I only properly got into it in the last third of the book when all the action started. But on the whole I enjoyed it, and I *think* there's going to be a series of books, so I'll read the next one when it comes out.

January 22, 2013, 10:30:00 PM
Reply #14

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I've just finished reading Människans Väg - Enligt den Chassidiska Läran by Martin Buber. In English it would become Man's Way - According to the Chassidism(?), another small book from my inherited piles. It's a book describing some of how the Jewish person ought to approach the world. I picked it up because I was curious. And it was an interesting read to a non-Jew. (The book is translated from German.)
January 23, 2013, 02:54:22 PM
Reply #15

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I just finished Zora Neal Hurston's book Their Eyes Were Watching God. I cannot believe that I have lived this long and never read anything from this author! What a classic! It's a story of a black women in the early 1900's and her struggles in finding love. Much of it is written in the black dialect, but I found it easy to follow. Excellent story!

I am currently reading both The Mysteries of Uldopho by Anne Radcliffe and Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Both are for book clubs. If anyone has any striking insights into either of these tales please feel free to share! I love the Anne Radcliffe book even though there are parts you just want to skim over because the heroine is always boo-hoo-ing! Tolstoy? Well I read him in High School and find his prose no more intriguing than I did then. Sigh. I may have to pick up an Alexander McCall Smith book to break up the darkness of these books!
January 23, 2013, 08:14:23 PM
Reply #16

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I really don't understand why you are behind, this totally baffles me!  ;)
It's just something on the Home Page of Shelfari "You’ve read 1 book this year.[/color] Last year you read 41 books, so you’re behind your pace." which is a bit weird because it compares the current year so far with the whole of the previous year and really makes no sense.

And don't go straining yourself at entering those books, when you have the quantity you do, it is simply too much work!
No, I don't intend to, I just thought about Goodreads when Shelfari wouldn't load for days on end, then I found that it was Firefox 18.0 that was the problem, not the site so now it's all good again. 

Meanwhile I'm enjoying HBP again, having read them the series "so far" each time a new book has come out and sometimes just all of the series released at that point I've read the later books fewer times than the earlier books.  I'm currently visiting Horace Slughorn as Dumbledore attempts to persuade him to join the Hogwarts staff, it really does feel good to be back there. 

January 23, 2013, 08:33:48 PM
Reply #17

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Meanwhile I'm enjoying HBP again, having read them the series "so far" each time a new book has come out and sometimes just all of the series released at that point I've read the later books fewer times than the earlier books.  I'm currently visiting Horace Slughorn as Dumbledore attempts to persuade him to join the Hogwarts staff, it really does feel good to be back there.
I really love that chapter, so funny! :D

The same is true for me on amount of times the books have been read: I've read the first four far more times than I know - gave up counting them nearly 10 years ago! The last three, however, I could find out exactly how many times I've read them by going back to my book list of past reads. But it's definitely significantly fewer and for the same reason. I'd guess I've only read DH five times for instance.
January 24, 2013, 12:49:14 AM
Reply #18

Misssyblantsybil

I read a LOT.  Just finished Atonement, by Ian McKewan (really deep). In recent months:  Quinine: Malaria and the Quest for a Cure that Changed the World by Fiammetta Rocco; Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore (meh, kinda fell apart at the end); Consider the Fork, by Bee Wilson ( good if you like knowing obsessive detail about cooking and eating utensils and equipment--and I do); Hillary Mantell's Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies; Justin Cronin's The Twelve (second in a series); Empire of the Summer Moon; Rin Tin Tin, the Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean; Fall of Giants by Ken Follett; Maughm's The Razor's Edge; American Gods by Neil Gaiman; The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon; and I read the HP series straight through just about every summer. My favorite book of last year is probably The Night Circus. Patrick Rothfus has a series, of which the first two books are out, about a young magician. The first book is The Name of the Wind, and I couldn't put it or the next one down.
January 24, 2013, 04:06:08 AM
Reply #19

Marielle

It's just something on the Home Page of Shelfari "You’ve read 1 book this year.[/color] Last year you read 41 books, so you’re behind your pace." which is a bit weird because it compares the current year so far with the whole of the previous year and really makes no sense.
No, I don't intend to, I just thought about Goodreads when Shelfari wouldn't load for days on end, then I found that it was Firefox 18.0 that was the problem, not the site so now it's all good again. 

:D I suspected it was so and I was teasing you!

I have to say I would applaud you if you had taken the time to re-enter those books into a new platform, I don't think I would have had that patience! Or maybe I would have done it over a few weeks or months or year!
  :)

Now to be on subject
I have just finished Ever After by Kim Harrison. ;D I was expecting a great book and I wasn't disappointed. It was a real roller coaster of action and drama, and it is slightly a tad less good than Pale Demon. Would have like more interaction with my favourite demon Algaliarept. Though there was plenty, I was more prepared to see him teaching Rachel, I wasn't prepared for him being so sad.  :'(  Just the ending was off for me, I was really expecting something to happen, anything whatever, I just was not ready to turn the page and notice that it ended just there! Now I need to wait....What? ...About a year I suppose. It will be a lonnnnggggg year!

Misssyblantsybil
I loved the first book (The Name of the Wind) in the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I was slightly disappointed by the second book (The Wise Man's Fear). It felt like another first book. It is weird to explain, but it was a bigger book than the first book and it felt like there was less progression to the story than what we had in the first book, almost like we were filled with details on his life just for the sake of it, without any real progression. I really hope the third book will prove me wrong on this, and that Patrick Rothfuss will find a way to integrate all I think was pointless in the second book to be view as key elements in the third book. He is a great story teller and so I am looking forward to the third instalment .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:16:38 AM by Marielle »