August 17, 2018, 07:56:52 PM

Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 41352 times)

January 24, 2013, 06:55:35 AM
Reply #20

varza

• Varzaland

Now to be on subject
I have just finished Ever After by Kim Harrison. ;D I was expecting a great book and I wasn't disappointed. It was a real roller coaster of action and drama, and it is slightly a tad less good than Pale Demon. Would have like more interaction with my favourite demon Algaliarept. Though there was plenty, I was more prepared to see him teaching Rachel, I wasn't prepared for him being so sad.  :'(  Just the ending was off for me, I was really expecting something to happen, anything whatever, I just was not ready to turn the page and notice that it ended just there! Now I need to wait....What? ...About a year I suppose. It will be a lonnnnggggg year!
Downloaded my preorder last night for this. Have to finish Foundation first. I also just got the first 13-14 books of the Plum books by Janet Envonich.

Also updated my original post to include Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher - I reread it a few weeks back and forgot to include it on my books read so far.
I am everywhere....
January 24, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
Reply #21

Marielle

I hope you get to enjoy Stephanie Plum, I like this series, it is very funny. I know it is into the mystery category, but I read them more for the comic relief than for the mystery.
Just so you know, it is a very uneven series, some books are definitely better than others, and unfortunately,  contrary to some other series (like Harry Dresden) the books don't get better as the series progress, though the last book was much better than the last few, I think it is one of those series that have run for too long and in need of closer before it is spread even tinier.

I only read the first two book in the Fury of Calderon series, and so far I think they are Ok books but no more than that, I hope it gets to get better as the Harry Dresden did.
January 25, 2013, 11:43:28 AM
Reply #22

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Borrowed Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy yesterday and already read the first 6 chapters. Earlier this year I read How to Talk so Kids Can Learn and a book of trendy Japanese phrases.
January 25, 2013, 03:08:02 PM
Reply #23

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I set a target of 35 books on Goodreads this year. Last year it was 50 which I just completed. This year's is lower because I have some writing deadlines to reach but I also want to read a couple of George R.R. Martin novels which are a bazillion pages long.
No kidding! It took me 2 freaking months to read just one of the Song of Ice and Fire books. I'm reading the second one (Clash of Kings) right now, and I'm finally really getting into it! The first book was a tad boring since I saw the TV show first, it is also seemingly heavier on description. This second one, however, is really awesome, all the characters have really distinct voices which I love.

I don't really set any reading goals as such, I just try to make a habit of having some reading time every day.
January 26, 2013, 02:43:47 PM
Reply #24

SnapesSister

• Forum Moderator
I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry this morning. I loved it, it completely lived up to my expectations. It was very moving and thought provoking, with some gentle humour added into the mix.

Now I'm reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, which a good friend of mine sent to me on the Kindle. I'm two chapters in, and I think I'm really going to like this one, going by what I've read so far.
January 30, 2013, 06:57:15 AM
Reply #25

varza

• Varzaland
Finally finished Foundation by Asimov last night. Started Ever After by Kim Harrison this morning - about a 1/4 way through now.
I am everywhere....
January 30, 2013, 07:25:34 AM
Reply #26

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I finished reading a crime novel last night that really vexed me. (Furioso by Carin Bartoch Edström - Swedish book.) For most of the book it was an intriguing, sometimes even quite thrilling tale, with an unusual writing style. Building up to.... a total anti-climax. Roughly the first half of the book, you get to follow a group of musicians working on a recording in a remote sound studio. Or in other words you get to meet them, know them, listen to them in present time and learning about their pasts and the negative and other feelings that they have towards each other. Then, suddenly, you skip a time frame and get to follow a group of polices arriving to this remote place because one of the musicians have been found dead. From then on you follow the polices as they try to sort out what happened, whether it was an accident or murder and who is responsible, as all the others are anything but cooperating.

It could have been such an interesting tale - and it fails abysmally. Partly because this author gives out literally NO info that you as a reader can even contemplate to come up with your own theories (neither red-herrings nor hints), everything is sprung at you when the polices find out - or when they decide to tell you! Partly because neither the polices themselves nor their detective work feels anchored in reality and finally because Bartoch spends most of the latter half delving into sexistic, oddly sexy (supposedly) revelations between the polices and others, all of it completely unrelated to the crime story! In the end it feels like someone who has had three different ideas and decided to glue them together to only have to write one book, whether they fitted with each other - or not. It was such a let down! :(

January 31, 2013, 04:08:27 AM
Reply #27

wordsaremagic

• The Only Wizard Bob the Duck Ever Feard
  • Administrator
Finally finished Foundation by Asimov last night. Started Ever After by Kim Harrison this morning - about a 1/4 way through now.
Ah, the Foundation series by Asimov. I read that a long time ago and really enjoyed it. It began a long term science fiction interest.
February 01, 2013, 10:14:06 PM
Reply #28

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I have read Living with Max by Chloe Maxwell and The Boy Who Fell to Earth by Kathy Lette, both books about mothers living with sons with Autism (something very close to my heart). I have almost finished Merry Christmas Alex Cross by James Patterson.

In my to read pile I have The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, Full House by Maeve Binchy and The Great Gatsby (before the film comes out).

February 02, 2013, 08:22:34 PM
Reply #29

varza

• Varzaland
Ever After finished... now to a reread of Dune.
I am everywhere....
February 03, 2013, 02:17:20 AM
Reply #30

pleshette

• Staffer
I recently finished a YA novel called Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff, which I liked a lot, and Dani Noir, an MG novel by Nova Ren Suma.

I'm currently juggling reading three YA books:
Endlessly by Kiersten White (the 3rd in a trilogy)
Legend by Marie Lu (I'm rereading this to refresh my memory before reading the recently released book 2 called Prodigy. If you like well-written YA dystopian, I'd recommend this one)
The Fire of Merlin by our very own, MaraudingDon  :)
February 03, 2013, 05:34:36 PM
Reply #31

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
In my to read pile I have ... Full House by Maeve Binchy ...
Is that her last book? Or a short story? Do you know when (which year) it was published?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:36:31 PM by Evreka »
February 06, 2013, 02:49:12 AM
Reply #32

Pepper

I'm bad about posting here regularly.  I just finished reading The 6th Target by James Patterson.
February 06, 2013, 02:35:27 PM
Reply #33

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I finally finished the Clash of Kings on Sunday. I'm taking a short break from the series and reading The Marriage of Figaro. It's a surprisingly fun read for such an old play, even if at times it's a bit difficult to follow the action and the conversation (even though it must've been translated fairly recently), current TV sitcom writers could learn a lot from it ;D
February 06, 2013, 03:32:45 PM
Reply #34

SnapesSister

• Forum Moderator
I finished The Fault in Our Stars a few days ago and cried buckets. I knew what was going to happen, given the subject matter of the book, but I still got very emotional over it.

I tend to become incredibly geeky over history, especially British Monarchy, so I've been following the discovery and subsequent identification of the skeleton of King Richard III with great interest. I've never really known too much about him, apart from him being blamed for the disappearance and possible murder of his nephews, 'the Princes in the Tower', so I decided to read up on him. So now I'm reading Richard III: The Young King To Be by Josephine Wilkinson.
I trawled Amazon looking for as unbiased a book on him as I could find (I want to make up my own mind on him, without thinking of Shakespeare's play or Tudor propaganda) and this seemed to be the best one. So far, so good.
February 06, 2013, 04:14:36 PM
Reply #35

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Oooh SnapesSister, I've been keeping up to date about Richard the III too. It's absolutely fascinating how that all is playing out. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book you are reading about him.

I just finished Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. I would never have tackled that again (I read it in high school) had my local book club not wanted to read it. I must say I got a lot more out of it this time around, now that I have read a great deal more than I had as a high schooler. I still wasn't that impressed with the book until the scene where Anna throws herself in front of the train. That was just brilliantly written.

I decided after all that heavy stuff I needed to pick up something lighter and have shifted to my second favorite author Alexander McCall Smith. So I am now reading his farce Unusual Uses for Olive Oil. So far I have found it to be quite funny!
February 07, 2013, 09:37:22 PM
Reply #36

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I tend to become incredibly geeky over history, especially British Monarchy, so I've been following the discovery and subsequent identification of the skeleton of King Richard III with great interest. I've never really known too much about him, apart from him being blamed for the disappearance and possible murder of his nephews, 'the Princes in the Tower', so I decided to read up on him. So now I'm reading Richard III: The Young King To Be by Josephine Wilkinson.
I trawled Amazon looking for as unbiased a book on him as I could find (I want to make up my own mind on him, without thinking of Shakespeare's play or Tudor propaganda) and this seemed to be the best one. So far, so good.
Yes, I've been following that too, I love the work they've done on reconstructing his head.  I also love to read historical biographies so I'm very tempted by this one - but then you know how easily I buy them and spend years getting round to reading them :)

I'm coming to the end of my HPathon, having decided just before Christmas to re-read the whole series again - it's been a few years since I last read the whole lot so I've really enjoyed it.  Now Harry just needs to find those horcruxes ...

February 08, 2013, 02:26:29 PM
Reply #37

Misssyblantsybil

I am currently racing through London, the Novel, by Edward Rutherford. I enjoyed his novel about New York a few years back. I am finding London a quick way to get an overview of English history--which I know only superficially--by following the lives of the descendants of some very early residents of the area.

I am enjoying the book for the same reason I liked Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and Fall of Giants. History as soap opera!
February 08, 2013, 10:10:03 PM
Reply #38

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Is that her last book? Or a short story? Do you know when (which year) it was published?

Evreka, it is a 117 page novelette that was published in 2012.

February 08, 2013, 10:31:36 PM
Reply #39

kala_way

I track all my books on Shelfari. Similar to Goodreads but I like the interface better, not as much community but 99% of what I use it for is just to keep a record of my books.
I started actively tracking about 5 years ago and I have over 500 books on my shelf now (some just remembered from past years that I loaded).

I read 59 books last year, so my goal is just to up that by a few. I did 100 a few years ago and that was pretty nuts.

So far this year I've read:
Steppenwolf - meh, strong premise but it got too ridiculous and sex focused for me toward the end
Summer (Edith Wharton) - again I liked the premise but the ending fell a bit flat, it was nicely crafted though--just a bit depressing
The Host - surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting much and I actually really enjoyed it.
Bloody Jack Faber - nice YA, though with a bit of an edge to it. It was a fun read if not super substantial

I just started GRRMartin's Game of Thrones. So far not super impressed, but we'll see.

Edited by Mod to remove a paragraph which has been moved to the Reading Recommendations Requests thread here
  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:15:00 PM by Dreamteam »