August 17, 2018, 07:57:50 PM

Author Topic: Weather Around the World  (Read 3780 times)

January 28, 2013, 12:58:07 PM

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
We're having freezing rain here and there's a sheet of ice everywhere.  In my opinion this is worse than snow because even with my All Wheel Drive I can't drive on ice, nor do I know how to walk on ice.  And I do know how bad snow can be - I've lived in snow country for 5 years where we often measured our snow in feet, not inches, and have lived through some of the worst snow storms there.  Here we don't get nearly as much snow but did have some twice last week.  Shoveling snow strains our backs, but at least we can still get out and the kids love playing in the snow, building snowmen and snow forts, sledding, etc.  So yeah, I prefer snow over freezing rain or ice.

What kind of weather are you having, and is it making you happy or miserable?  8)

January 28, 2013, 01:05:59 PM
Reply #1

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Singapore's climate is very hot and humid all year round. It is said there are only 2 seasons: rain and no rain. In Chinese, people often say our climate is like summer through the 4 seasons and autumn when it rains.

There tends to be a little more wind at the beginning of the year, before Chinese New Year in late January or early February - just felt a refreshing night breeze.

Been trying to feel cooler in the afternoons when I work on the computer by playing the jazz channel or the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy film soundtrack on my music streaming software.
January 28, 2013, 02:59:30 PM
Reply #2

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I live in Sweden and we've got quite a lot of snow this year. By New Year it was so much snow our roof threatened to cave in on the porch/veranda. Luckily we managed to get a roof company come and shovel the snow on it away in time. Then there was a week or two with thaw, so the snow on the main roof disappeared - thankfully! After that we've had even more snow. And now it's thawing again.

I love snow, we live so far north, that the days are extremely short in the winter. With no snow the visibility is very, very bad for most of the day seeing as the sun is up in my part of Sweden roughly between 8:45 AM to 2:50 PM at the winter solstice. (Today the day in my part of Sweden has advanced to include roughly 8 AM to 4 PM, which is much nicer, yet still pretty short.) With snow however, the visibility is quite good all day (and night) as it reflects the light from the stars and the street lamps. So I take the shovelling any day over a grey and dark snow-less winter.

What I don't like, however, is when the temperature starts to resemble a lift/elevator, going up and down around 0 centigrades. Because that converts all the lovely snow to deadly ice. It's no good for either the traffic, nor the people. So I agree with ss19, snow's great, ice isn't!

I think it was last week there was a bedlam accident on a highway in Scania (the southest county in Sweden), due to fog which gave next to no visibility in combination with treacherously icy roadways over a bridge, over a hundred cars slid into each other, one after another, during a couple of minutes! Luckily "only" one person died, but a lot got hurt. And many of the cars, became more or less irreparable I think, as it happened in the morning traffic and caught up many lorries as well.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:43:23 PM by Evreka »
January 28, 2013, 05:24:00 PM
Reply #3

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Brrr! I live in Florida and all that talk of ice and snow makes me re-live all the reasons I moved here many years ago! I hated being cold and ice most of all! Ice was truly one of the reasons I moved here! (That, and the opportunity to play tennis all the time! Unfortunately I don't play any more.)

Today it will be at least 83 (F). Right now we are in this up/down phase as yesterday was barely 70 (F). It's hard to decide what to wear and whether one should turn on the heat or the air conditioner at times. It's been rather dry here which is somewhat normal for our winters; nonetheless it would be nice if we got a bit more rain before summer. I really have no reason to complain about our weather when I hear about snow or floods! However the fact is - that Floridians are spoiled with our weather so when we have more than one day in a row when the sun doesn't appear, we start whining! Anyway I will gladly send some sunshine to all of you that need it!
January 29, 2013, 06:12:11 PM
Reply #4

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
I live in south east Australia now. A couple of weeks ago I was choking on smoke from bushfires as the temperature reached 42c/109f. It's cooled a little but now Australia is being battered by cyclonic winds and floods.

Big weather for a big country.
January 29, 2013, 06:46:03 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I live in south east Australia now. A couple of weeks ago I was choking on smoke from bushfires as the temperature reached 42c/109f. It's cooled a little but now Australia is being battered by cyclonic winds and floods.
I've always dreamed of visiting Australia at some point, but 42C!!!  :o My gosh! I think it is HOT when it's 34 C, which fortunately is a very rare temperature in my country... How do you handle living in 42 C?
January 29, 2013, 08:05:45 PM
Reply #6

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I also live in Australia. In the last few days we had constant driving rain and were on tornado watch. Now many areas around here are flooded or flooding. We have been very lucky here and not had any real damage (just a bit of flooding in the yard and power issues). Cyclone Oswald decided that it wanted to hang around a while. My boys were disappointed when the water close to here were cleared and could get to school. Now after all this rain we are on severe water restrictions because the water treatment plant has been damaged. It is heartbreaking to see some of the same people being flooded out who lost everything in 2011,

January 30, 2013, 08:41:00 PM
Reply #7

LillianJames

Eastern Montana, USA--it's 7 degrees F.  We have a warning for wind chills of -40-50 degrees F tonight! BRRRRR

Post Merge: January 30, 2013, 08:43:49 PM
We are hearing alot about the fires and floods in Australia here in the US.  So sorry for those who have lost--especially for those who suffered 1 years ago!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:44:34 PM by LillianJames »
Lillian James
February 07, 2013, 08:20:33 PM
Reply #8

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The South Korean Air Force has made a parody of Les Misérables to raise morale among its soldiers who are busy clearing snow. ...
Are you saying it's snowing in South Korea? Is that usual?
February 08, 2013, 02:11:06 AM
Reply #9

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
The weather forecast in Singapore says we will likely be having a rainy 2013 Lunar New Year (we get 10 February to 12 February off), and people have been advised to take umbrellas while making their Chinese New Year visits. The past few afternoons have been rainy.

Are you saying it's snowing in South Korea? Is that usual?

Yes, and the snow in China has been disrupting journeys back home for Chinese New Year.
February 11, 2013, 01:46:08 AM
Reply #10

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Yesterday was the windiest, rainiest and coldest (by Singapore standards) first day of Chinese New Year I can remember. There was a little sun earlier this morning, but now it's cloudy again. The feng shui masters say as water represents wealth, it's a good sign for the Year of the Snake ahead.
March 02, 2013, 08:25:24 PM
Reply #11

Buckbeak 26

Healer One I live one state to your North, in Georgia. My father likes it here because he can play golf all year around. I sort of like it to because I don't have to break ice up and shovel snow. I remember in early 2002 I worked the night shift and it started to snow about 6:00 am. When I got home I ate breakfast and went to sleep, thinking that it wouldn't get warm enough to melt the snow, but when I woke up that afternoon I looked out the window and the snow was melted. :tardis: :heart:

MaraudingDon I remember living in Southern California (Redlands) near San Bernardino, in the early 1980's.  From June 15th -late September the weather would be hot and dry. (about 115-120 degrees fahrienheit.)  I remember running for Physical Education class one day in September 1982 and I got overheated and sick. (In fact I threw up.) :( Here in Georgia we get up to 110 in the summer but it is humid and I don't run like that anymore, plus there is only heat and humidity for a few days to a week and then it cools down some. Sometimes it gets hot again.

March 02, 2013, 08:56:27 PM
Reply #12

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I also live in Australia. In the last few days we had constant driving rain and were on tornado watch. Now many areas around here are flooded or flooding. We have been very lucky here and not had any real damage (just a bit of flooding in the yard and power issues). Cyclone Oswald decided that it wanted to hang around a while. My boys were disappointed when the water close to here were cleared and could get to school. Now after all this rain we are on severe water restrictions because the water treatment plant has been damaged. It is heartbreaking to see some of the same people being flooded out who lost everything in 2011,

Since I wrote this almost five weeks ago the rain still goes on...the constantly flooded roads and inability to dry anything without the aid of a clothes dryer is starting to be slightly annoying.  >:(  I really feel for everyone who has a damaged home and the rain is not letting up enough for repairs.

April 13, 2013, 03:29:55 PM
Reply #13

blue_dreamer

Whereabouts in Australia are you RiverSpirit?

Here in Britain it's finally started to become spring-like after a March of weird snow and blue skies at the same time..
April 14, 2013, 12:48:40 AM
Reply #14

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Whereabouts in Australia are you RiverSpirit?

Here in Britain it's finally started to become spring-like after a March of weird snow and blue skies at the same time..

I am on the east coast. Today we have a beautiful sunny autumn day after two weeks of rain. Better enjoy it while I can  ;D

April 14, 2013, 09:41:42 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Today was the very first time this year when the temperature passed 10 centigrades and became two figures! YAY!  :harryronbb: I even managed to find time to take a walk in the wonderful weather that actually felt like spring approaching for a change! (We've had mostly 2-4 centigrades or lower up to now for the last month or so.) I can't wait for spring.... :flower:
April 28, 2013, 04:41:00 PM
Reply #16

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The last two weekends I've managed to take a walk in the afternoon sun, and it's been quite fun to see spring progress between my walks. Two weeks ago, there were a lot of snow still, though it was in the process of melting, so a lot of water and mud and what not if you stepped away from the roads. A week ago almost all snow was gone - except in one shadowy place - but the entire meadow was so brown and colourless, it still didn't really look like spring. Today, there are new fresh grass growing everywhere, the earliest spring flowers are up and it finally feels like spring is on its way for real!  :hearts:
April 28, 2013, 09:02:16 PM
Reply #17

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Here in Florida our weather is beginning to even out a little. I love this kind of weather  :hearts: - low to mid 80's (F) during the day and high to mid 60's at night. It's perfect for me. I can leave my big doors open and have a nice breeze at times. Yes, I do run my air conditioning at other times. The only thing that is hard this time of year is the sneezing, running nose and eyes from the allergies!  :flower: :flower:   :flower:
January 02, 2014, 11:56:32 AM
Reply #18

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I live in Sweden and we've got quite a lot of snow this year. By New Year it was so much snow our roof threatened to cave in on the porch/veranda. Luckily we managed to get a roof company come and shovel the snow on it away in time. Then there was a week or two with thaw, so the snow on the main roof disappeared - thankfully! After that we've had even more snow.
A year ago, I was pretty much drowning in snow. It started snowing sometime in November -12 (I think) and while there where periods of thaw in between it kept snowing until some time in March I think. It became a record holding winter for amount of snow falling (at least in my part of Sweden).  :snowman:

This winter, as a contrast, we've had one afternoon with sparse snowing some time in early December and then nothing!  :mcgonagall2: By now, I am really longing for it to snow... It's been quite awhile since we last had a Christmas/New Year holiday without any at all. And I miss it for the atmosphere it creates is quite different from what we now have.

(Further north, Sweden IS covered by snow, but that isn't much of a comfort around here.)

What about the rest of you, do you have normal weather?
February 13, 2014, 07:15:57 PM
Reply #19

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Well, we had over a foot of very wet and heavy snow overnight.  That, combined with a very long driveway, makes for some very sore arms and backs from shoveling, even with 2 snow blowers going between 5 neighbors.  And they're calling for more snow tonight.  Then we should be getting a break on Friday, followed by more snow on Saturday.  The kids have had so many snow days already this winter that they'll have lots of days to make up in the summer.

What about the rest of you, do you have normal weather?

And no, this is not normal for our area.  We used to live in Massachusetts, and part of the reason we moved here was to escape the long and cold winters.  But up north where they are used to a lot of snow, they had the infrastructures and capacity to deal with the snow, so the roads get plowed quickly and the schools and work places almost never close.  Here, several states to the south, because we're not supposed to get much snow, they can't handle it and even the smallest amount of snow paralyzes the entire region.

Our winter's been so abnormally cold and snowy this year that there's been multiple sightings of the Snowy Owl in my area, when I've been told that they normally don't come south of the American-Canadian border.  :hedwig: