January 23, 2018, 06:09:25 AM

Author Topic: Weather Around the World  (Read 2882 times)

February 13, 2014, 08:14:12 PM
Reply #20

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Since I last posted in this thread, 2 January, we have had some snow, which was enough to cover everything for a few weeks, and then it all thawed away. The last few days it has just rained. A most unwelcome sight at this time of year, we want snow instead! ss19, try to redirect it?  :ginny:

And no, this is not normal for our area.  We used to live in Massachusetts, and part of the reason we moved here was to escape the long and cold winters.  But up north where they are used to a lot of snow, they had the infrastructures and capacity to deal with the snow, so the roads get plowed quickly and the schools and work places almost never close.  Here, several states to the south, because we're not supposed to get much snow, they can't handle it and even the smallest amount of snow paralyzes the entire region.
I hear you.  After the last four winters (before this one) of which three had lots of snow, and last year being the worst in an age or so, this year the capacity for handling snow has been upgraded to unseen levels. As soon as there are talks of snow coming in a certain day, there are plowers out and about long before the snow! Before these four winters we had a long period of very mild winters, and then all processes to deal with snow were downgraded so much that the least bit of snow could take days to clear off the main roads.  And I'm sure it's even worse in areas that do not expect any snow at all...  :console:

What does a "snow day" at school means? Do you mean the term/semester ends later in the summer if the school closes for a period of too rough weather? That sounds difficult, how can you ever plan for vacations then?  :ron:

Our winter's been so abnormally cold and snowy this year that there's been multiple sightings of the Snowy Owl in my area, when I've been told that they normally don't come south of the American-Canadian border.  :hedwig:
I saw that in an online article somewhere, weeks ago. I wonder what messages they carry? Is it Hedwig's off-springs?   :fredgeorge:

However, as much as I hate rain in the winters, having spent some time at BBC Weather I don't think I should complain at all.  :scared: That looked hideous! Apparently the UK is partly flooded over large areas, lots of people are without power, trains are cancelled - or stuck on rails -, roads are closed... And then a hurricane to boot!  :console: I do hope all our UK members are OK, as well as their families and friends.  It looks as if there were giants on the loose....?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:16:38 PM by Evreka »
February 13, 2014, 08:51:33 PM
Reply #21

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
What does a "snow day" at school means? Do you mean the term/semester ends later in the summer if the school closes for a period of too rough weather? That sounds difficult, how can you ever plan for vacations then?  :ron:

A snow day at school means that the schools are closed because the roads and sidewalks are covered in snow and the students and teachers/staff can't get to school, so they get an unexpected day off.  The country and states' education departments have regulations on how many days of school (and how many hours of instruction per day, etc) there must be in a school year.  So every snow day must be made up by extending the school year into the summer, thus shortening the summer break.

It does make scheduling vacations and other things more complicated.  Today I was due to volunteer at one of the schools at their classroom Valentine's Day party, and we had a parent-teacher conference (that's where the parents meet with the teachers individually to discuss how their student's doing in school) scheduled after school today as well, and now these will need to be rescheduled.

However, as much as I hate rain in the winters, having spent some time at BBC Weather I don't think I should complain at all.  :scared: That looked hideous! Apparently the UK is partly flooded over large areas, lots of people are without power, trains are cancelled - or stuck on rails -, roads are closed... And then a hurricane to boot!  :console: I do hope all our UK members are OK, as well as their families and friends.  It looks as if there were giants on the loose....?

I've lived through flooding in another area of my country before and it was not fun at all.  I would definitely not trade any amount of snow or ice for flooding.  What they've been getting in the UK does sound aweful!  I second what you said about hoping that all our UK members and their loved ones are doing OK.
February 13, 2014, 09:30:50 PM
Reply #22

Buckbeak 26

Evreka and ss-19,

Where I live near Atlanta in Georgia has also gotten a strange bout of Ice and snow this year. Atlanta was clogged with abandoned cars two weeks ago and now just had another round with it.  I have not worked in 3 days and I am glad, I wouldn't want to get caught in all of this nasty weather. Also rehearsal was cancelled last night, but we wee basically lucky this time as we were expected to get ice but it wasn't cold enough for it.

And no, this is not normal for our area.  We used to live in Massachusetts, and part of the reason we moved here was to escape the long and cold winters.  But up north where they are used to a lot of snow, they had the infrastructures and capacity to deal with the snow, so the roads get plowed quickly and the schools and work places almost never close.  Here, several states to the south, because we're not supposed to get much snow, they can't handle it and even the smallest amount of snow paralyzes the entire region.

Our winter's been so abnormally cold and snowy this year that there's been multiple sightings of the Snowy Owl in my area, when I've been told that they normally don't come south of the American-Canadian border.  :hedwig:

I agree with you ss-19, because I thought the South never really gets snow or ice. But we've had our share of it this year. 

I personally have never seen a snowy owl (like Hedwig) :hedwig: except in the Harry Potter movies. Recently in the news however was an article about the sightings of snowy owls due to the weather that we have been having.
February 14, 2014, 07:11:38 PM
Reply #23

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The many odd weathers we've seen around the world lately, seems to be spreading across the web as well now! For instance, here at DS, it rains hearts!  :hearts:  :fredgeorge:
May 01, 2014, 03:53:49 PM
Reply #24

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
This has been a most interesting spring weatherwise in my corner of the world. After a rather mild winter, we had true spring temperature for the first time in February/March, I think, which was more than a month prior to normal.

Then the weather backtracked to windy and cold. Mid April, it suddenly became warmer and warmer and the weekend before Easter we had summer degrees in the days (even if the nights were still cold). Last weekend we had 22 C, which is normal summer weather.

Yesterday (30 April), or Walpurgis Night, was what in Sweden signals Spring and is celebrated in a Welcome Spring ceremony of sorts, with bonfires, speaches and song all over the country. Of course, the warm temperature, is now in hiding and yesterday we were down to roughly 9 C in the day. This morning it was snowing and though it stopped quite early, it is positively cold outdoors today. :P :( But at least the snow has now melted and everything is back to green.

What's the weather like where you live? Has the rain let up in the UK yet (I take it, you'd had an awful amount of that this year)? Is everyone having a good spring/autumn depending on where on Earth you all live?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:55:42 PM by Evreka »
May 08, 2014, 01:35:02 AM
Reply #25

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
We've been getting some unusual weather patterns also.  Our past winter was much colder and longer than usual for this area.  Then, when spring finally came, it couldn't make up its mind whether to stay or not and the temperature went back and forth a few times between being warm and being like winter again.  We also got some more snow in April after the grass and trees had already turned green... I had to turn the outdoor faucets on and off a few times.

Last week we got a lot of rain and had some flooding and mudslides in the area.  My immediate neighborhood was fine, but many roads nearby that I drive on all the time were closed due to the flooding and/or mudslides.  It was short-lived and relatively minor though, compared to what some other areas were getting.  And some of our southern states were hit hard by tornadoes, so I really shouldn't complain.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:38:02 AM by ss19 »
May 11, 2014, 05:14:43 AM
Reply #26

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Yesterday (30 April), or Walpurgis Night, was what in Sweden signals Spring

Interestingly, according to the traditional Chinese calender summer started on 5 May. Not that it makes much of a difference in Singapore where it's hot and humid all year round. (And that's why I haven't been posting much in this thread since I rarely have anything interesting to report about the weather.)
July 06, 2014, 04:36:35 PM
Reply #27

Pepper

It is raining where I live.  I am in Ohio. I'm glad though because at least it isn't very sunny and a lot cooler. 
July 06, 2014, 11:27:47 PM
Reply #28

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
It is raining where I live.  I am in Ohio. I'm glad though because at least it isn't very sunny and a lot cooler.
:fredgeorge: In contrast, in southern Sweden where I am currently at vacation, we have finally got sun and summer temperatures worth talking about!  :rubberduck: Yesterday (Saturday) it was approx. 30 C, today (Sunday) 20-25 C and it is supposed to be about 25 C the nearest few days.  I hope it lives up to it, as it always feels more of a summer vacation when it feels like summer.  :flower:

August 02, 2014, 08:48:42 PM
Reply #29

Pepper

:fredgeorge: In contrast, in southern Sweden where I am currently at vacation, we have finally got sun and summer temperatures worth talking about!  :rubberduck: Yesterday (Saturday) it was approx. 30 C, today (Sunday) 20-25 C and it is supposed to be about 25 C the nearest few days.  I hope it lives up to it, as it always feels more of a summer vacation when it feels like summer.  :flower:

Sweden sounds like a great vacation.  We are at 81 F. today.  We had a few days in the 70's this week, but Friday went back up to the 80's. We had a mild summer this year.   The week of July 14th, it was in the 70's too.  Wednesday of that week it was pretty chilly, but by Friday the weather heated up to the 80's.  This was the first year in a long time, that we did not have 90 degree weather.
August 10, 2014, 08:18:49 PM
Reply #30

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Yesterday (Saturday) it was approx. 30 C, today (Sunday) 20-25 C and it is supposed to be about 25 C the nearest few days.  I hope it lives up to it, as it always feels more of a summer vacation when it feels like summer.  :flower:
It sure did! July and August has formed an awsome summer in Sweden: Up until last week we've had 30 C and more every single day, with very little rain. The last week we've had 25-29 C every day, and although today started a little cooler, it soon picked up to approx 25 C again.  :o These kind of summer temperatures are quite unusual, a few days or a week or two like this, sure, but for such a length of time, it's unusual.

As a result of the long warmth, indoor temperatures also peaks. Lately, I've come home in the afternoons and realised it is warmer indoors than outdoors, despite these temperatures outdoors!  :o The last two weeks, my bedroom has been 28-29 C, while the evening air outside has been maybe 23 or so. Yesterday I managed to get the temperature down to 23 inside too, by morning; this afternoon it was back on 28!
August 13, 2014, 09:55:10 PM
Reply #31

BillieMac

After a two week heat wave, we got warm air and a brief, heavy rain yesterday. Today it's been the normal long rainfall, and it's gotten c-o-o-old. Good for the farmers, but not for me. I had to put a fire on today, and when the library closes, I'm going home and putting on another layer.
August 15, 2014, 09:19:37 AM
Reply #32

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
According to the Chinese calender, autumn started on 7 August at 10.02 pm China/Singapore time. While Singapore is not a temperate country, we have been experiencing more rain since this month started, and it hasn't been very sunny for the past few days. Not that I am complaining about the cooler weather.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:21:19 AM by Hermione P »
August 15, 2014, 08:00:47 PM
Reply #33

Buckbeak 26

Hey all,

This last week through Tuesday was cloudy and rain (lots of it here in Georgia USA). But since this last Wednesday we have had sun and milder temperatures, and today my dad and I are going to the Atlanta Braves game and it is sunny and in the 90's but not humid. I hope to not have anything on the frustrations tonight.
August 23, 2014, 08:52:51 PM
Reply #34

Pepper

It is super hot here this weekend, and very humid.  We are in the high 80's.  We did get a lot of rain this week though. 
November 07, 2014, 05:43:54 PM
Reply #35

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
 :yuck: Ugh. :yuck: The cool, crisp, colorful, clear days of autumn are gone, and the windy, dreary, cold, wet ones have arrived. :'( It is snowing today.  It started this morning with cold rain mixed with small bits of wet snow, a substance sometimes locally referred to as "spooge".  The other way people around here refer to this event is to say something like, "Aw man, it's [name of our town]-ating out," since unfortunately, this kind of thing is not uncommon here.  ::)

Do you or your family or friends have any strange names for certain types of weather?

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
November 07, 2014, 09:35:24 PM
Reply #36

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
We had our first snow for this winter season two days ago. It was very wet though and mixed with rain so it melted immediately or at least to the next day. Now it's temporarily warmer again... Very strange weather this year....  :hmm:
November 27, 2014, 05:28:33 PM
Reply #37

Pepper

We had snow last week, and were supposed to get it today. I'm glad we didn't. I'm not used to snow until December or January. It's 32 degrees here today.

Where my friend lives in Fargo, ND, they have snow already and it's very cold there.  It's 0 degrees there right now. I don't know if I could live some where that cold even though I wear layers.
November 27, 2014, 07:36:56 PM
Reply #38

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
On the contrary, here in mid-Sweden it is unusually warm for the season with just about 0 centigrades, and no snow... :( Sure, with snow comes all sort of hassle, but it's hassle we're used to and it brightens the dark winter up considerably. In a country where we have twilight between 3 and 4 PM at this time of year, the missing snow is sorely felt as snow reflects all light and brightens everything up.   :snowman:

Where my friend lives in Fargo, ND, they have snow already and it's very cold there.  It's 0 degrees there right now. I don't know if I could live some where that cold even though I wear layers.
You need special winter clothes in those temperatures.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:38:30 PM by Evreka »
November 27, 2014, 10:18:03 PM
Reply #39

Laura W

Where I live it is currently minus 15 degrees C, with a windchill of minus 25 C.  And it has been snowing all day.  Snow supposed to continue for another 20 hours or so.  They are saying the total accumulation will be between 20 and 30 cm. (I'm thinking more like 20 than 30, but we'll see.)  The police department is telling people not to drive unless they absolutely have to.  There have already been a number of accidents just in the last six hours or so.  The city roads ARE horrible, and I can imagine what the highways are like. Yikes! :help: