April 25, 2018, 04:08:45 AM

Author Topic: Weather Around the World  (Read 3364 times)

January 24, 2016, 08:50:16 PM
Reply #40

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
After a strangely warm December, my area just got hit with a massive snow storm over the past couple of days.  We got over 2 feet of snow (27.5 inches, about 70 cm) which is very unusual for this area.  We just spent most of the day digging out, and are probably stuck in for at least a couple more days.  As we don't normally get too much snow here, they don't have enough equipment or manpower to clear this amount of snow from the roads very fast.

:snowman:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:58:31 PM by ss19 »
January 24, 2016, 09:50:14 PM
Reply #41

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
After a strangely warm December, my area just got hit with a massive snow storm over the past couple of days.  We got over 2 feet of snow (27.5 inches, about 70 cm) which is very unusual for this area.  We just spent most of the day digging out, and are probably stuck in for at least a couple more days.  As we don't normally get too much snow here, they don't have enough equipment or manpower to clear this amount of snow from the roads very fast.

:snowman:
I'm so relieved you're safe!  :hug: My thoughts have been with you these lasts few days as our news too reported on this "Snowzilla". I read it snowed 10 cm per hour at one point! (Not necessarily precisely where you live, but somewhere in this storm). If it keeps up that kind of frequency whole houses can get buried in just a day or two!

Still, digging out of 70 cm doesn't sound fun at all!  :console: How did you even get the door open!?  :crabbegoyle: I hope it stops snowing now and that the rows are cleared sooner rather than later. Take care!
January 24, 2016, 10:52:35 PM
Reply #42

ss19

• Administrator
Still, digging out of 70 cm doesn't sound fun at all!  :console: How did you even get the door open!?  :crabbegoyle: I hope it stops snowing now and that the rows are cleared sooner rather than later. Take care!

Thanks!  We have a tiny front porch, so there wasn't a huge mound of snow right up against our front door.  And the door opens in so it would have been possible to open the door anyway, I think.

Our back door, on the other hand, is a sliding glass door and faces north.  It took a lot of effort to get that open today.  We had to first shovel a path all the way to the back door from the front of the house, then shovel all the snow around the door, and use small amounts of hot water to melt the ice that formed around the metal tracks at the bottom of the screen door.

That back door opens to our deck.  We built an enclosure there this past summer for my cat to hang out outdoors in a safe way, and he loves going out there, so he's been going crazy meowing at the door today for us to open it for him.  Otherwise we could have left that door snowed in as we don't need to use it to get out ourselves.  When we finally got the door open for him, he was very happy and walked on and played in the big mounds of snow.   :crookshanks:
January 25, 2016, 07:02:11 PM
Reply #43

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
 :) I get grumpy   >:( when there is no sunshine here, and I can remember lots of snow :snowman: and cold. So I am very sympathetic to you ss19! I love the story about you accommodating your cat's request to go out and play in the snow. Are you sure he isn't related to Crookshanks?  :crookshanks: (See any big black dogs around?) Stay warm! And be careful about over-exertion when you are shoveling yourself out. I wish I could send you some warm sunshine to help, but it's been rather cool here too - at least today we do have sunshine  (today we warmed up to 68 F). I guess that sounds balmy to you, but to this Floridian it feels pretty cool! I'm such a wimp when it comes to cold weather!  :lol:
January 30, 2016, 01:47:35 AM
Reply #44

ss19

• Administrator
Thank you, HealerOne!

My cat's smart enough to be related to Crookshanks, but I haven't noticed any big black dogs around...

You remind me of a friend of mine who didn't like the cold in the Northeast so eventually moved to Florida and has been very happy there.  You're right that 68 F sounds very balmy to me!  Today our high was 24 F (about -4 C) with the wind chill which is not horrible compared to when I used to live in New England, but still feels quite cold to me!  It's supposed to warm up to the 50s mid-week next week though, which will be a nice change.
January 30, 2016, 11:53:50 PM
Reply #45

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
I'm also glad to hear that you survived the storm (relatively) unscathed ss19!  It sounds like a good excuse to subject the family to a HP film fest.  ;)  I hope you all took the snow shoveling in shifts -- that sounds like a massive task! 

We are located north of where the storm tracked, so we got only flurries.  We've had a pretty mild winter so far, with below-normal snow totals.  Last winter was really brutal, so I hope this keeps up!

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
May 10, 2016, 04:30:36 PM
Reply #46

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
It's tornado time now. I used to live in the Midwest of the USA and we did have those nasty tornadoes. Now living in Florida, I have to deal with hurricanes. Thankfully we haven't had bad seasons lately, but it only takes one to be devastating. I am especially upset about the fires in Canada. I do hope that none of our members are in that harms way. It's almost more than one can imagine. Anyway, I am thinking about all of you that are under threats of bad weather. 

In Florida right now - it's been beautiful here, if not a bit warm  :) . How has it been around you?
May 16, 2016, 02:03:33 AM
Reply #47

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
I hope you have a quiet hurricane season this year, HealerOne!

I'm really glad to live in a place where neither tornadoes nor hurricanes are common.  However... just a few days ago, it was a lovely 80°F here in the NE US.  Today, it snowed.  As in, snow.  Yes, it was brief, and it didn't stick of course, but man, it's May 15th!  There just should not be snow.   :shake:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
May 19, 2016, 10:34:14 PM
Reply #48

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Snow in the middle of May? That crazy in your part of the world, but it seems like crazy weather is the norm now instead of something unusual. Hope you weather has warmed up.