October 19, 2017, 10:44:23 PM

Author Topic: Seen a good movie lately?  (Read 4412 times)

August 23, 2014, 01:19:18 AM
Reply #40

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
I recently saw Guardians of the Galaxy.  I have to say that the trailers for this film did not intrigue me.  There was no amazing story in evidence and none of the characters really grabbed me; the talking raccoon seemed particularly annoying.  But the reviews were amazing; both reviewers and people I spoke with said it was really funny.  I do tend to like the Marvel movie franchise, so I thought it would be worth a try.  It turns out that there was no amazing story in evidence and none of the characters really grabbed me, and that the talking raccoon was particularly annoying.   ::)  It wasn't a total waste of time though and it was reasonably entertaining, but I personally found it kind of forgetable.  I may be in the minority, though -- you may think it's great!  :)
No I feel pretty much like you did. I finally felt like I was getting to grips a little with the strange humour/seriousness balance they were going for until the raccoon turned up, at which point it seemed to turn into a children's film with swearing and violence.

But there were some genuinely funny moments (the song choices among them). But not enough of them. To me it felt like the film was a few drafts away from being a good script. Bland music, mixed quality of special effect and all in all it felt like a short story that was trying to be a novel. I liked Karen Gillan, though, thought she did well even under makeup. And it made for a fun trip to the cinema and a good spectacle. Just not a film I'm that fussed about seeing again.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
September 27, 2014, 05:17:39 AM
Reply #41

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
I saw the latest adaptation of a Patricia Highsmith novel The Two Faces of January. As you would expect from Highsmith, this is a very sleek suspense thriller. Viggo Mortenson plays charismatic Chester McFarland, whose past dealings soon catch up with him, leaving him and his wife in quite a predicament on foreign grounds in Athens and a small island in Greece, becoming dependant on a tour guide they meet by chance. The plot does keep you glued to your seat - and yet this is not nearly as good as Rene Clement's Plein Soleil (or Purple Noon) which is a 1960  adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley with the unsurpassed Alain Delon in the title role. If you are a Patricia Highsmith fan I suggest you watch it (and do forget about the later version with Matt Damon  ;)

The Two Faces of January has been playing in Singapore cinemas for about two weeks now, and it just got released in the US.

I haven't seen any The Talented Mr Ripley adaptations so I will just comment on this movie.

Without giving anything away, I will say that I found the ending for each of the main characters poignant. There is also one sweet and romantic moment when Chester woke Colette up to give her a doughnut.

Recently I went to see Belle a Regency period piece which of course meant it had beautiful costumes and settings. However the story was more than that! It was based on a true story and was inspired by a painting! Belle was a biracial child of a Sir Lord Lindsey and she was brought up in the home of the Earl of Mansfield - the Earl who just happened to be the Chief Justice of England. The movie story is twofold: that of the life of this woman during the rigid rules of society then; and the story of the Chief Justice's decision that led to the ending of slavery in England. Both stories were well done but I would have liked to have both stories expanded! Of course you can't do that in the allotted time of a movie, so at least both stories made me itch to get to my computer and do some research about each.  I found this which was very informative about the picture that inspired the movie. http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/film/portrait-of-woman-who-inspired-belle-to-be-shown-1-3306617  And this which was helpful in explaining the case involved with the slave trade. http://www.blackpast.org/gah/zong-massacre-1781 The movie was one which I will not forget soon. I would recommend that you see it if you can.

I watched this because of Tom Felton. Not that I found anything wrong with his acting, but his character in this movie is very similar to Malfoy :draco: - I found myself thinking, "Malfoy is being a jerk again!" In fact, his character here is less developed than Malfoy's. I would like very much to watch him play a different sort of character. I like the Dido parts of the story more, and I was moved by Davinier shouting his love for Dido.
November 27, 2014, 05:20:01 PM
Reply #42

Pepper

I saw Annabelle, John Wick, Addicted, Ouija, and Gone Girl.

Gone Girl and John Wick were really good. I was surprised about Gone Girl after reading the reviews.

Addicted was not my cup of tea, but I wanted to see it because I like some actors/actresses in it.

Ouija was scary but I would never use the board.

Annabelle scared me good. It was a real doll too, so that made it even scarier.

I would watch them all again minus Addicted.
December 27, 2014, 01:56:19 PM
Reply #43

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I just watched How to Train Your Dragon 2 on DVD and I felt a bit let down. The first was a great adventure with a reasonable story that held together well, this felt much less well written. Also... it's supposedly 5 years between the two, so how come Hiccup isn't more mature and open to at least listen to his father?

If you haven't seen it, do not read this. Major plot spoiler ahead:
Spoiler
In the first film we are led to believe that Hiccup's mother was a great dragon fighter, now they claim she always tried to save dragons too? I know it's a kids' story, but her showing up like that with those motives for abandoning her husband and infant son, felt just ridiculous.
Anyone else who's seen it?
January 09, 2015, 10:12:53 PM
Reply #44

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
I just watched How to Train Your Dragon 2 on DVD and I felt a bit let down. [...]
Anyone else who's seen it?

I have seen it, but I'm afraid it was so long ago that I don't really remember any details.  I really loved the first one for the world it created, and the visuals of flying on the back of a dragon.  :thumbup:  So I just remember liking the second one for the same reasons, though it was not quite as good as the first.

I've seen several films recently, some in the cinema and some on dvd.  The first, Interstellar, was an enjoyable way to pass a few hours.  I found the story very engaging even though the film was quite long.  It seems that in some ways the filmmakers had trouble deciding whether to be a drama, a science film, or a science fiction film, but if you don't let that trouble you then you are likely to enjoy yourself.  The performances are quite good.

More recently I saw Mockingjay, Part 1 and The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.  Both were pretty much what you would be expecting if you had seen the films which have come previously in each of these series.  I've read The Hunger Games books (though not in quite a while) but not The Hobbit, so I can't judge how closely that one keeps to the source material.  The Mockingjay film successfully portrayed each of the characters and all of the drama you would expect of it.  No complaints.  The Hobbit I liked even better; good peril and storytelling, great performances, and it really kept my interest.

On dvd I saw Monuments Men, which I thought was an interesting story well told, but not necessarily an amazing film.  I did like that they emphasized the theme of how Art as a representative of our culture and our humanity is something worth fighting for.

When I first saw the trailer for The Lego Movie, I thought, No way am I going to pay real money to see a movie about Lego figurines.  So many folks thought that it was really funny though, so when I no longer had to pay real money (checked it out from the library) I saw it on dvd.  It was a good time; the mash-up of characters from so many different fandoms was pretty funny, and I liked how the movie did things to make fun of itself (like having a ghost character hover by dangling from a string).  Definitely good for an evening of mindless humor.  And if you've seen it, you know that it has a theme song that will never completely leave your consciousness.  ;D

My favorite of all these though was About Time, starring Rachael McAdams, Domhnall Gleason (aka Bill Weasley), and Bill Nighy as his dad (I know, you're thinking, why Scrimgeour as his dad, and not Arthur?  ;) Or even Mad-Eye?  :madeyecv:).  The dvd cover would have you think that this is a straightforward romantic comedy, but the blurb on the back lets you in on the twist: the main character can travel back in time.  So ... is it a sci fi film, then?  Not really... it's more like a slice-of-life story with a romance in it, in which the main character happens to have the ability to go back in time.  The focus is on whether one would want to do so, and what parts of life are worth giving up in order to do others over again?  It really is a delightful story, if difficult to explain fully.  Having learned that it was made by the same director as Love Actually, and figuring I was the only person with two X chromosomes who had never seen that film, I watched it as well.  It was a nice film, but of the two I prefer About TimeLove Actually may uplift you for an evening, but About Time has the power to change your outlook on life just a bit if you let it.  I really recommend it.  :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
January 10, 2015, 06:49:26 AM
Reply #45

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
I've read The Hunger Games books (though not in quite a while) but not The Hobbit, so I can't judge how closely that one keeps to the source material. ... The Hobbit I liked even better; good peril and storytelling, great performances, and it really kept my interest.
The Hobbit is one book, together with some material from the appendixes of The Lord of the Rings, stretched into a movie trilogy. So quite a lot of what happens in the movie was written by the scriptwriters. (Compared to Lord of the Rings, where one movie = one volume, more or less) By the end of the second movie, The Desolation of Smaug, I had no idea what would happen in this one besides which of the canonical characters (Tauriel was created for the movie) would die. Since the book is told from Bilbo's point of view, nearly everything which happens when he's not present is original content.
January 10, 2015, 09:08:25 AM
Reply #46

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
My favorite of all these though was About Time, starring Rachael McAdams, Domhnall Gleason (aka Bill Weasley), and Bill Nighy as his dad (I know, you're thinking, why Scrimgeour as his dad, and not Arthur?  ;) Or even Mad-Eye?  :madeyecv:).  The dvd cover would have you think that this is a straightforward romantic comedy, but the blurb on the back lets you in on the twist: the main character can travel back in time.  So ... is it a sci fi film, then?  Not really... it's more like a slice-of-life story with a romance in it, in which the main character happens to have the ability to go back in time.  The focus is on whether one would want to do so, and what parts of life are worth giving up in order to do others over again?  It really is a delightful story, if difficult to explain fully.  Having learned that it was made by the same director as Love Actually, and figuring I was the only person with two X chromosomes who had never seen that film, I watched it as well.  It was a nice film, but of the two I prefer About TimeLove Actually may uplift you for an evening, but About Time has the power to change your outlook on life just a bit if you let it.  I really recommend it.  :)
I bought Love Actually on DVD some years ago and didn't like it at all. I found the various sub plots to be either too thin or down-right ridiculous, particularly the Prime Minister love story was almost embarrassingly horrible. And the young love story would have benefited from starring a somewhat older child to make it more believable. The other stories I can't even remember.  :thumbdown: On the other hand, my DVD contains some info from Behind the Scenes where they discuss lots of scenes that were filmed but cut, and I remember that I felt very clearly that it would have been a so much better film if those parts had stayed in, giving more explanations and making it more of a story, as opposed to slap-stick humour, or whatever to call it now.

Still, the About Time one sounds interesting so I might give that one a go if I can find it somewhere.  :)
January 17, 2015, 03:51:40 PM
Reply #47

Pepper

The last movie I watched was Taking Lives with Angelina Jolie. I'm thinking about going to see Taken 3 tomorrow even though I haven't watched the first two movies. I hope that's not a mistake on my part.
February 25, 2017, 06:06:12 PM
Reply #48

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Been awhile since anyone has posted here, but It's Oscar time again. :popcorn: Thought I might put my two knuts in about what movie was tops with me in 2016-17. (Drum roll please). Brrrrrrrrrrrung! Hidden Figures  :stars:  :thumbup: Loved, loved this empowering movie. It was a fantastic story of a group of nerdy women that made a huge difference in the world. It was so uplifting. I watched the movie with many blacks in the audience and the pride they had in these women was palpable within the theater. So not only was it uplifting for women, but also for people of color, and for nerdy people who love numbers and science. It also was a history lesson about how difficult it was to put a person into space, as well as to how far we have come with breaking down the forces of discrimination. [It is also a statement of what it would be like to sink back into such horrible discrimination - a danger our world faces at the moment - just a different group of people that is targeted]. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone!

I have not seen LaLa Land, so I can't say how Hidden Figures stacks up to it. Any one see that movie? Or both of them? I guess we will see what the Oscar people think about these movies this weekend.
March 06, 2017, 06:38:02 AM
Reply #49

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Been awhile since anyone has posted here, but It's Oscar time again. :popcorn: Thought I might put my two knuts in about what movie was tops with me in 2016-17. (Drum roll please). Brrrrrrrrrrrung! Hidden Figures  :stars:  :thumbup: Loved, loved this empowering movie. It was a fantastic story of a group of nerdy women that made a huge difference in the world. It was so uplifting. I watched the movie with many blacks in the audience and the pride they had in these women was palpable within the theater. So not only was it uplifting for women, but also for people of color, and for nerdy people who love numbers and science. It also was a history lesson about how difficult it was to put a person into space, as well as to how far we have come with breaking down the forces of discrimination. [It is also a statement of what it would be like to sink back into such horrible discrimination - a danger our world faces at the moment - just a different group of people that is targeted]. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone!

I have not seen LaLa Land, so I can't say how Hidden Figures stacks up to it. Any one see that movie? Or both of them? I guess we will see what the Oscar people think about these movies this weekend.

I've seen both movies and enjoyed them both. They are difficult to compare as they are very different. LaLa Land was like a breath of fresh air, a throwback to a bygone era with a modern twist.

I took my teenage son to seeHidden Figures. I think he was quite surprised by how the ladies were treated. My sons have friends from many nations. They have never seen colour only friendship. I was also pleased for him to see that the original computers were in fact human!

March 07, 2017, 04:52:17 PM
Reply #50

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Thanks for your different perspective on Hidden Figures, RiverSpirit. I am so glad your son was able to see what discrimination looks like and how those that rise above it act.

So now we know that The Academy decided that MoonLight was the winner.   :flower: :clap: A film that "... is also brazenly experimental, unfolding as three short films charting different life phases of a young gay black man struggling with his identity in Liberty City, Miami." Another film that I have not seen but would like to. The whole subject is intriguing. Anyone see it and have any comments?