June 19, 2018, 11:02:41 PM

Author Topic: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary  (Read 3588 times)

February 12, 2013, 09:56:49 PM

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
It's been announced by the BBC that David Bradley (Filch in the HP movies) is going to play the first doctor in the 50th Anniversary episode, originally played by the late William Hartnell.  I had wondered how they were going to include the first three doctors as all three actors have now died and this sounds much better than cobbling together some old clips. 

It does beg the question of who will play the second and third Doctors, previously played by Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee respectively.  For me the obvious choice to take the part of the second Doctor would be Patrick's actor son, David, who looks very much like his father. 

Any other suggestions for the second Doctor and also suggestions for someone to play the third Doctor?

I also heard that it's going to be shot in 3D which makes buying a 3D TV very tempting  ;D

:tardis:    :K-9:    :dalek: :cyberman:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:09:12 PM by Dreamteam »

February 12, 2013, 11:18:00 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

It's been announced by the BBC that David Bradley (Filch in the HP movies) is going to play the first doctor in the 50th Anniversary episode, originally played by the late William Hartnell.
David Bradley is playing William Hartnell playing the first Doctor in a programme about the start of Doctor Who, not (as far as I know) the 50th anniversary itself. They have announced that the 50th anniversary episode will be broadcast in 3D here or here.
February 13, 2013, 09:03:12 PM
Reply #2

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
David Bradley is playing William Hartnell playing the first Doctor in a programme about the start of Doctor Who, not (as far as I know) the 50th anniversary itself. They have announced that the 50th anniversary episode will be broadcast in 3D here or here.
Hmm, well nice though that is it's still a little disappointing, they have promised to have all the Doctor's previous incarnations and it would be so much better to have live actors than just a few video clips - one wouldn't be too bad but to do that for all three is a bit much.  It's going to be a good year though  :K-9:   

February 14, 2013, 01:49:12 AM
Reply #3

Armoracia

• Forum Moderator
    • The Emotional Range of a Teaspoon
David Bradley was Filch, right? I heard that too, Dreamteam and I could have sworn it was for the 50th anniversary. I'll see what I can dig up!
February 14, 2013, 05:45:50 AM
Reply #4

varza

• Varzaland
Its confusing because both are coming out around the same time. It would be interesting to see if they can get Eccelston - I thought he had said he wouldn't come back.
I am everywhere....
April 12, 2013, 01:09:19 AM
Reply #5

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Oops just realising this thread is here. I posted in the other plot and theories Doctor Who thread :ashamed:

I'd posted about the episode of Doctor Who airing on the 50th anniversary, that is. The other 50th Anniversary drama the BBC are making is about the creators and writers and producers and actors etc. of the TV show, which is airing on the 50th Anniversary, and is called An Adventure in Space and Time. So David Bradley is playing William Hartnell playing the First Doctor, rather than directly playing the First Doctor. There have been other casting announcements too but I'm half asleep not good or research... but this was my post in the other thread:

David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning!  :doctor10: :rose: Presumably as the Doctor and Rose. Though whether a half-human Doctor or a Doctor out of time etc. I guess we'll find out in November! There's a cute picture of Davd Tennant and Matt Smith at the readthrough: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Doctor-Who-50th-Anniversary-Special-The-Read-Through

Also Kate Stewart, the brigadier's daughter (aka Jemma Redgrave), is coming back, with UNIT! I'm looking forward to that, too. And John Hurt and Joanna Page will be in it, too.

The monster news is that one of the classic favourites is at long last making a comeback: the Zygons. I am definitely excited about this. Technically they made a sort of appearance in The Power of Three but this'll be proper Zygons! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Zygons-Return-for-the-50th-Anniversary-Special)

So this is all very exciting and hopeful

It would be interesting to see if they can get Eccelston - I thought he had said he wouldn't come back.
Alas the news has come out (and seems fairly reliable) that though there was talk about him coming back he turned the offer down after thinking about it :( :doctor9:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:11:10 AM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
April 13, 2013, 06:42:42 AM
Reply #6

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning!  :doctor10: :rose: Presumably as the Doctor and Rose. Though whether a half-human Doctor or a Doctor out of time etc. I guess we'll find out in November! There's a cute picture of Davd Tennant and Matt Smith at the readthrough: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Doctor-Who-50th-Anniversary-Special-The-Read-Through
Aww, that's such a sweet picture of the two Doctors together!  I'm very happy for the fans of the 10th Doctor that David Tennant is willing and able to come back for the 50th Anniversary - I know he has many fans.  That'll be good to have Rose there as well.  I assume this would be the "copy" of the Doctor (can't remember what he was properly called) that Rose took with her to another world that she'll be with in the 50th Anniversary episode?
April 18, 2013, 11:17:45 AM
Reply #7

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
The first picture of 10 and 11 has appeared online. It's so awesome. Ecclestone isn't returning, which isn't a surprise.

I cannot wait for this special episode. It'll be lovely to see how Rose and the other 10 are fairing in the parallel universe.
June 01, 2013, 08:55:01 PM
Reply #8

Buckbeak 26

:doctor10:
I'm glad that David Tennant  is returning to be part of the 50th anniversary, I am sorry to hear that Christopher Eccelston however is not. Tom Baker did that in 1983 when they filmed The Five Doctors when Peter Davison was the Doctor. Like Christopher Eccelston, he gave it some thought and decided to decline for the 20th anniversary so I am not surprised to hear that.  That David Bradley (Argus Filch in the Harry Potter movies) will be playing William Hartnell is nice to hear and I hope he will deepen his voice to sound like him.

Congratulations on Doctor Who making it to 50 Years!

:tardis: :K-9: :doctor11: :doctor4: :martha: :cyberman: :dalek:
June 04, 2013, 08:09:44 AM
Reply #9

varza

• Varzaland
:doctor10:
I'm glad that David Tennant  is returning to be part of the 50th anniversary, I am sorry to hear that Christopher Eccelston however is not. Tom Baker did that in 1983 when they filmed The Five Doctors when Peter Davison was the Doctor. Like Christopher Eccelston, he gave it some thought and decided to decline for the 20th anniversary so I am not surprised to hear that. 
:tardis: :K-9: :doctor11: :doctor4: :martha: :cyberman: :dalek:
And I remember reading he regretted that he didn't do the movie... I don't think Eccelston will though, he wasn't happy with the direction of the series - that's why he left right?

Anyone know if River will be back?
I am everywhere....
November 22, 2013, 06:52:16 PM
Reply #10

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
All you Dr WHO fans - Check out Google today!

:tardis: :dalek:
November 23, 2013, 06:10:11 PM
Reply #11

varza

• Varzaland
I love their games! My son was getting upset everytime I killed one of the lil pixel doctors
I am everywhere....
November 23, 2013, 10:50:03 PM
Reply #12

BillieMac

I can't get to the goal in the graveyard without being EXTERMINATEd. Couldn't get through the fence.

OMG, OMG, OMG!!
I've just watched The Day of The Doctor, and it all fits!
Quote from roonwit, from the Doctor Who Plot and Theories thread. (In a spoiler tag.)
Firstly, the Doctor didn't destroy Gallifrey, he stuck it in a time lock, which was why the Master was almost able to bring it back.
It's the only thing about the Time War I was confused about, and The Day of The Doctor explains it all.
Some scenes, I noticed, were obviously written with four Doctors in mind. The weapon had four sides, and some of Hurt's or Tennant's lines were clearly meant for Eccleston. Anyone else notice that? (Sorry, memory not good enough to quote them).

So many great lines, but two were personally significant to me.

1: Kate Stewart on the dangers of the vortex manipulator in the wrong hands hands:
"Americans with the power to rewrite history? You've seen their movies."
I'm calling this "The Argo Line". Any Canadian who knows their 20th Century history knows what I mean. Remember a few taking place in WW2, Brits?

2: Tom Baker ( :hug: :K-9:) saying The Doctor can "revisit old favourite(s)" faces.
In a cut scene in Deathly Hallows Pt. 1, there's a close up side-view of Harry Melling, where I saw how much he looks like his grandfather, Patric Troughton. This supports my desire for Harry to one day play The Doctor.
November 24, 2013, 03:39:32 PM
Reply #13

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I can't get to the goal in the graveyard without being EXTERMINATEd. Couldn't get through the fence.
I was stuck there too, for the longest time, then I noticed that as long as he moves, he seems to be able to survive her, so just have him move as fast as possible to the switch and then back to the Tardis. It's worked for me.  :tardis:

(I hate to be stuck at any place in a game...)
November 24, 2013, 06:05:21 PM
Reply #14

roonwit

I was stuck there too, for the longest time, then I noticed that as long as he moves, he seems to be able to survive her, so just have him move as fast as possible to the switch and then back to the Tardis. It's worked for me.  :tardis:

(I hate to be stuck at any place in a game...)
The angel blocks the way ahead, so I think the best technique is to go in another direction and then the right way when the angel blocks the wrong place.
December 28, 2013, 06:42:43 AM
Reply #15

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Well....

Now that we have the new Doctor (and also the one we didn't even know about!!) it is timey wimey to close this thread down.

All Doctor Who discussions will continue as normal in our  Doctor Who: Plot and theories discussion and Doctor Who:Our Experiences

Feel free to continue your discussions in these threads.   :doctor11:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:45:31 AM by RiverSpirit »