January 23, 2018, 04:14:26 AM

Author Topic: Member News Bulletin  (Read 9765 times)

February 26, 2013, 12:32:49 AM

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator

What have you been up to lately?  Anything new you'd like to share?  Your personal news may not make the headlines, but we want to hear it!  (...and maybe even offer our congratulations or support.)

The credit goes to BillieMac for suggesting this thread.  :flower:

February 26, 2013, 11:25:02 PM
Reply #1

BillieMac

Thanks, ss19 I hope we all keep this thread hopping.

On February 15, I walked into the pub for a beer, and walked out with a job :bravo:
I'd sort of applied many times over the past five years, mentioning whenever I had dinner there, that I'd be available. I was doing my daily dog walking job when the owner knocked on my door, hoping I'd be available that night.
At about 3:30 I stopped in, deciding to get a beer before going home. While serving me, she offered me the job, which I jumped at. So now I'm the night dishwasher at the pub across the street from my house. Hard to beat that commute.
A strong tea followed the beer, then I went home for a salad to tide me over, and started work at 5:00. Staff gets dinner at 7:30, and work ended that night at 8:00. It was supposed to be 'til 9, but the owners and manager were too tired to keep me there longer.
So that's it- 4 nights a week- 3 to 4 hours a night, depending on my boss's energy levels. And with a good working atmosphere, it's a great job.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:40:51 PM by BillieMac »
February 27, 2013, 12:39:48 AM
Reply #2

Buckbeak 26

ss-19,

This is so awesome! I hope that I have some good news a week from Friday. (March 08) I will be going to my Orthopedic surgeon to check on my back. I hope to be released and go back to my normal life! I am doing my exercises 2 times daily and lots of walking. I hope all of you will cross your fingers and hope for me.  ss-19 knows about my back surgery back in November of last year and she and others on both Leaky and here have been a big help getting  me through these last 5 months.   :K-9: :pawprint:

Thanks, ss19 I hope we all keep this thread hopping.

On February 15, I walked into the pub for a beer, and walked out with a job :bravo:
I'd sort of applied many times over the past five years, mentioning whenever I had dinner there, that I'd be available. I was doing my daily dog walking job when the owner knocked on my door, hoping I'd be available that night.
At about 3:30 I stopped in, deciding to get a beer before going home. While serving me, she offered me the job, which I jumped at. So now I'm the night dishwasher at the pub across the street from my house. Hard to beat that commute.
A strong tea followed the beer, then I went home for a salad to tide me over, and started work at 5:00. Staff gets dinner at 7:30, and work ended that night at 8:00. It was supposed to be 'til 9, but the owners and manager were too tired to keep me there longer.
So that's it- 4 nights a week- 3 to 4 hours a night, depending on my boss's energy levels. And with a good working atmosphere, it's a great job.

Congratulations Billie Mac! :)  The last job I had before the job I have now was only 7 miles from home but across the street, to quote Robin from the 60's Batman TV series, " Holy Leapfrog"! That must be nice not to have to drive anywhere. Good luck with the job, and I hope it works out for you. :fleur: :myrtle:
February 27, 2013, 09:34:01 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Congratulations on getting a job that you wanted!  :stars:

So now I'm the night dishwasher at the pub across the street from my house. Hard to beat that commute.
Wow! That commute sounds absolutely awesome! One of my dreams would be to find a job within walking distance from my home, given how much time and traffic hassle it would save every single day!

Not that it's likely to happen as long as I stick to the suburban areas....

This is so awesome! I hope that I have some good news a week from Friday. (March 08) I will be going to my Orthopedic surgeon to check on my back. I hope to be released and go back to my normal life! I am doing my exercises 2 times daily and lots of walking. I hope all of you will cross your fingers and hope for me.
  :goodluck: I'll try to remember to keep my fingers crossed that day! Back problems are no fun at all!

Yesterday as I checked my email there was an offer of free movie tickets (first come, first served) for two persons from one of my IRL book clubs! It's for a new Swedish movie which has not yet premiered, so I'll try to get my tickets tommorrow if possible. :)
February 28, 2013, 06:58:40 PM
Reply #4

ss19

• Administrator
Wow, that is great news, BillieMac:yay: Sounds like the perfect job.  As far as the commute goes, I don't think you can ever beat walking across the street.  Even working from home isn't nearly as good, because in that case you're exchanging having to commute with a whole host of other problems, such as being lonely working by yourself, and constantly having to fight the temptation to go on the internet to post in online discussion forums instead of getting your work done...

Hippogriff Lover, I'll cross my fingers for you and hope to hear good news on the 8th.  :goodluck:

March 01, 2013, 08:27:47 PM
Reply #5

BillieMac

Actually, ss19, someone on the island can beat that commute. She lives right next door to her job, lol.

One thing I forgot to mention: The chef looks a lot like Alan Rickman, but with a much smaller nose. The nose is the same shape, though, as is his basic facial shape. His hair is cut in the same style, too, but a lot darker, though not quite Snape black.

Hippogriff Lover, Let me join the others in wishing you best of luck with your orthopedic surgeon. It'll be great for you to get your life back.

Congratulations on the tickets, Evreka. :bravo: You'll have to tell us what the movie's about. When are you seeing it?

On Monday I went into Victoria. A block from the library, there'd been a drive-by shooting outside a bar several hours earlier. Rare in Canada, but the high winter winds aren't. As I came to the corner, I saw a cop race from his squad car to stop the wooden barrier being blown away! Their crime scene tape look like it might end up strewn all over downtown.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:32:01 PM by BillieMac »
March 02, 2013, 07:35:55 AM
Reply #6

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
BillieMac, CONGRATULATIONS!

Hippogriff Lover, I hope the pain in your back gets to a manageable level soon. My husband suffers terribly and I know how debilitating back pain can be.

My good news: I was officially promoted this week. I've been acting as the Head Executive Assistant for a Government Department for the last nine months. The position became vacant when the holder finally resigned just before Xmas. It had to be advertised across Government and I had to go through a selection panel which was daunting but it is officially mine!

:doctor11: <- best smilie ever!

March 02, 2013, 02:25:13 PM
Reply #7

Marielle

Congratulations BillieMac and Maraudingdon, it is fun to hear about good news! I am working hard to stay on the positive side  at the moment!  :)
Hippogriff Lover, I am sending you all the positive thoughts I can send you, and hope he the surgeon can bring you some good news on how to help you more!
March 02, 2013, 03:50:21 PM
Reply #8

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Congratulations on the tickets, Evreka. :bravo: You'll have to tell us what the movie's about. When are you seeing it?
I procured two free tickets for the new movie Mördaren ljuger inte ensam (The Murderer isn't the only liar) which is based on the first crime novel by the Swedish Author Maria Lang. It was also the first Crime novel I ever read. I'll see it on Wednesday (6 March) which is before the premier, so that feels very luxuary!  :luna:

Tonight I'll go and see the theatre show of Rainman (based on the movie with the same name) which is playing in Stockholm this spring! I'm looking forward to it as I really loved the movie.  :)

My good news: I was officially promoted this week. I've been acting as the Head Executive Assistant for a Government Department for the last nine months. The position became vacant when the holder finally resigned just before Xmas. It had to be advertised across Government and I had to go through a selection panel which was daunting but it is officially mine!

Congratulations!  :stars: That's fantastic news!  :hug:
March 02, 2013, 06:22:05 PM
Reply #9

Buckbeak 26

Congratulations BillieMac and Maraudingdon, it is fun to hear about good news! I am working hard to stay on the positive side  at the moment!  :)
Hippogriff Lover, I am sending you all the positive thoughts I can send you, and hope he the surgeon can bring you some good news on how to help you more!

BillieMac, CONGRATULATIONS!

Hippogriff Lover, I hope the pain in your back gets to a manageable level soon. My husband suffers terribly and I know how debilitating back pain can be.

:doctor11: <- best smilie ever!

Just so Marielle and MaraudingDon know: Last summer I had back pain and couldn't walk, play golf, ( I had to quit after playing 8 holes of 18) or really do any normal activity. Just before Halloween last year I went in to Macon to see my orthopedic surgeon and we set up an appointment for me to have surgery on Wednesday November 14th. I had the surgery, and came home 4 days later. I am doing much better now and just after Valentine's Day last month I started Physical Therapy. So this appointment coming up on March 8th is just to see if I can start to do normal things again. Plus my job is transporting people to the Atlanta Airport (with luggage) and I couldn't even lift the luggage.

Oh I also forgot congratulations MaraudingDon :yay: :stars: on getting the promotion!

And Evreka also getting the Movie tickets.
March 04, 2013, 03:42:25 AM
Reply #10

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I love hearing all the good news and being able to cheer on those that need good positive energy to be floated their way. So for all of the job 'getters' - Congratulations!   :bravo:  And for those that are following the advice of their doctors and therapists -  keep it up and good things will happen to you!  :)

Tomorrow is the second meeting of our local little writing group. I started this group a month ago hoping that someone would come and 4 others showed up! I must say that just the thought of having to share writing with them has inspired me to do more writing. I am really looking forward to what they think about a scene I have written for my next attempt at a novel.
March 04, 2013, 07:39:15 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Tomorrow is the second meeting of our local little writing group. I started this group a month ago hoping that someone would come and 4 others showed up! I must say that just the thought of having to share writing with them has inspired me to do more writing. I am really looking forward to what they think about a scene I have written for my next attempt at a novel.
Wow! That's fabulous that you got a group going and look forward to share your work with them!  :hermioneread: Are all of you working on novels or similar? I hope the meeting turns out just great!  :hogwartsc:

On Saturday I saw the show Rainman and it was absolutely fabulous! I'm at awe for the dedication the actors showed in getting into their characters (not the easiest I assume) and it was one of those times where the whole audience more or less just rose simultaneously after the show!  :stars:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:59:44 PM by Evreka »
March 08, 2013, 08:15:06 PM
Reply #12

Buckbeak 26

:tardis: :doctor9: :doctor10: :doctor11:

Well all,

It is official! At 9:40 this morning Hippogriff Lover was released by his Orthopedic surgeon!!!!!! :flower: :yay:

He can now  Bend Twist and Lift over 10 pounds again. I no longer have to wear a back brace, and will be returning to work in a couple or 3 weeks!!!!!
March 08, 2013, 09:50:21 PM
Reply #13

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Well all,

It is official! At 9:40 this morning Hippogriff Lover was released by his Orthopedic surgeon!!!!!! :flower: :yay:

He can now  Bend Twist and Lift over 10 pounds again. I no longer have to wear a back brace, and will be returning to work in a couple or 3 weeks!!!!!
:stars: Great news! :hug: Congratulations in getting your life back! :yay: Maybe now that you have the release day within reach, you can make the most of the last few weeks of "freedom" from work.  :ggsquid: (That said sick leave is NEVER fun. )

My best news today is that it is Friday - which means two whole days away from work! ;)

March 09, 2013, 01:33:54 AM
Reply #14

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Wow! That's fabulous that you got a group going and look forward to share your work with them!  :hermioneread: Are all of you working on novels or similar? I hope the meeting turns out just great!  :hogwartsc:
Thanks Evreka! We had a great meeting. Everyone brought a sample of their writing. I was gobsmacked at the variety and awesome story telling of these samples. - One was a poem, two were either chapters or scenes from proposed novels, and another two were short stories. So fun! It's still only 5 of us but we seemed to have already bonded and are finding our way in the maze of writing - together.

Well all,

That is fantastic news! Now the hard part is staying well and not re-injuring yourself. Stick with the exercises - especially when you feel a twinge. An ounce of prevention ....
March 09, 2013, 04:57:30 AM
Reply #15

ss19

• Administrator
Wow, so much great news all around!

Congratulations on the promotion, Maraudingdon, and on getting those tickets, Evreka:stars:

And that is great that you were able to get a writers' group going, HealerOne!  I can imagine such a group being a great source of support and encouragement.

Hippogriff Lover, I'm so glad that your appointment went well with the Orthopedic surgeon and that you got the great news we've all been hoping for.  :harryronbb:  Enjoy your last 2 or 3 weeks of time off from work now that you are allowed to do more things without the back brace and without worrying about your back so much. :disapparate:

My personal good news to share with everyone is that yesterday I took my 3 kids to the dentist for their routine appointment and none of them had any cavities.  Also, one child has had some gum problems that have persisted for several years now, but we got some good news yesterday that it's finally showed some definite improvement after we've switched him to a new kind of toothbrush.  There are few things that compare to the stress of worrying about health issues in your child and wishing you could have those problems yourself instead and spare the child, and on the flip side, the happiness you feel when the child gets better.  :bear:
March 09, 2013, 07:51:25 PM
Reply #16

BillieMac

Wow, so much great news all around!
It sure is, ss19
Congratulations on the promotion, Maraudingdon, and on getting those tickets, Evreka:stars:

And that is great that you were able to get a writers' group going, HealerOne!  I can imagine such a group being a great source of support and encouragement.
Ditto from me on all of that.
Hippogriff Lover, I'm so glad that your appointment went well with the Orthopedic surgeon and that you got the great news we've all been hoping for.  :harryronbb:  Enjoy your last 2 or 3 weeks of time off from work now that you are allowed to do more things without the back brace and without worrying about your back so much. :disapparate:
That, too. Hippogriff Lover, it's such a relief to know you're going to be okay. Just make sure you don't strain yourself when you get back to work.
My personal good news to share with everyone is that yesterday I took my 3 kids to the dentist for their routine appointment and none of them had any cavities.  Also, one child has had some gum problems that have persisted for several years now, but we got some good news yesterday that it's finally showed some definite improvement after we've switched him to a new kind of toothbrush.  There are few things that compare to the stress of worrying about health issues in your child and wishing you could have those problems yourself instead and spare the child, and on the flip side, the happiness you feel when the child gets better.  :bear:
Congratulations on your kids' dental results, ss19. No cavities is a major achievement for a mother nowadays, with all the sugar loaded onto the grocery shelves. You can't even get away from it in the health care aisle.
I don't have any kids myself, but I know that worry from my sisters, and I'm glad you have that much less stress in your life.
I've had some gum problems in the past. Is that new toothbrush one with extra-soft bristles?
March 14, 2013, 07:21:21 PM
Reply #17

ss19

• Administrator
I've had some gum problems in the past. Is that new toothbrush one with extra-soft bristles?
No, it's a Sonicare toothbrush, which is a high-tech electric toothbrush that uses sonic technology to help fight gum problems.  I have some genes, apparently, from my mother's side of the family that causes gum problems no matter how well we take care of our teeth, which I've apparently passed on to one of my children, unfortunately.  (The other two seem OK so far, but only time can tell.)  It's very frustrating.  Anyway, the Sonicare toothbrush is very expensive but when my periodontist had me switch to it about 13 or 14 years ago, it made a HUGE difference in my gum health and easily paid for itself with the savings in my dentist/periodontist bills.  I just wish I had known about it sooner, because it stops the gum problems from getting worse but the previous damage is irreversible.

When my son started having problems with his gums, I asked the pediatric dentist about having him try the Sonicare, and got approval from the dentist, but I hesitated to let him try it for the past year or two because I was concerned that he might be too young and might not be able to control the toothbrush correctly.  My husband tried the Sonicare at one point many years ago, but somehow he didn't do it right and the vibration from the toothbrush injured his jaw or something.  He never tried the toothbrush again after that.  So I was worried that my son might end up with similar problems if he isn't able to learn to use the toothbrush correctly.  This January I finally felt ready to let him try it, and I was very happy and relieved that he was able to get the hang of it right away, and that using it made a difference in his gums almost immediately.

(I have nothing to do with the makers of Sonicare and I don't own any of their stock.)
March 14, 2013, 09:13:19 PM
Reply #18

Buckbeak 26

No, it's a Sonicare toothbrush, which is a high-tech electric toothbrush that uses sonic technology to help fight gum problems.  I have some genes, apparently, from my mother's side of the family that causes gum problems no matter how well we take care of our teeth, which I've apparently passed on to one of my children, unfortunately.  (The other two seem OK so far, but only time can tell.)  It's very frustrating.  Anyway, the Sonicare toothbrush is very expensive but when my periodontist had me switch to it about 13 or 14 years ago, it made a HUGE difference in my gum health and easily paid for itself with the savings in my dentist/periodontist bills.  I just wish I had known about it sooner, because it stops the gum problems from getting worse but the previous damage is irreversible.

When my son started having problems with his gums, I asked the pediatric dentist about having him try the Sonicare, and got approval from the dentist, but I hesitated to let him try it for the past year or two because I was concerned that he might be too young and might not be able to control the toothbrush correctly.  My husband tried the Sonicare at one point many years ago, but somehow he didn't do it right and the vibration from the toothbrush injured his jaw or something.  He never tried the toothbrush again after that.  So I was worried that my son might end up with similar problems if he isn't able to learn to use the toothbrush correctly.  This January I finally felt ready to let him try it, and I was very happy and relieved that he was able to get the hang of it right away, and that using it made a difference in his gums almost immediately.

(I have nothing to do with the makers of Sonicare and I don't own any of their stock.)

I've also had gum problems, when I lived in Redlands California in late 1984, and I can tell you from experience, that I don't want that again! My orthodontist found it one time when I went in for an appointment, and I spent from September-December 1984, going back and forth to the periodontist and taking foul tasting meds. I recovered in early 85, and thought my problems were over, how wrong I was. :(

When we moved to Nashua, New Hampshire in 1986, I started again and my dentist sent me to another periodontist. One tooth on my front lowers and two of my  :K-9: canine teeth on the uppers had to have grafts from the roof of my mouth and I was miserable for the rest of the night. I took off work all the next day and was better the next day. Since then I have brushed my teeth morning and evening before going to bed, and flossed in the evenings before going to bed. I sympathize with both Billie Mac, and ss-19 for their gum problems. I didn't know however that it is hereditary. My mother's father was a dentist and an uncle on my father's side of the family was also a dentist. Someone in my family may have had it and it passed onto me.

March 15, 2013, 07:19:53 PM
Reply #19

BillieMac

Yikes! ss19 and Hippogriff Lover, that's scary stuff. For me, including the part about the toothbrush being expensive. I'll talk to my dentist at my next appointment, but I sure hope it doesn't come to that. For my own gum problem I had to have a gingival graft, and that was not fun. I've had some sensitivity since then, but nothing serious. I've switched to Sensodyne, and that's helped.

Have you guys checked out the Leaky Lounge lately? It looks like Hal 9000 did the redecorating! Not only that, there's now a "Hot Topics" sidebar, and every entry listed is an ad bot! Jeeze, people, fix the foundation before you put on aluminum siding.