August 14, 2018, 09:47:52 AM

Author Topic: Member News Bulletin  (Read 13298 times)

March 15, 2013, 10:44:17 PM
Reply #20

Buckbeak 26

To all,

I went to have my D.O.T. Physical and I passed and got my card, so starting tomorrow I go back to work. It has been 5 months and I am looking forward to it. I will be here most of the day and leave for my first run to pick up a passenger at the Atlanta Airport tomorrow evening! :tardis: :doctor11:
March 15, 2013, 11:22:18 PM
Reply #21

Potter2005

To all,

I went to have my D.O.T. Physical and I passed and got my card, so starting tomorrow I go back to work. It has been 5 months and I am looking forward to it. I will be here most of the day and leave for my first run to pick up a passenger at the Atlanta Airport tomorrow evening! :tardis: :doctor11:

Great news!!  Good luck   :)
March 16, 2013, 05:56:50 PM
Reply #22

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
To all,

Terrific news!  :stars: :broomstick: I hope you have a great first day back!

Today is the first day in a long time in which I have had time to pick up a book and read due to a crazy schedule at my work lately. But at least I got to finish a boring and depressing book, so now my reading experience will hopefully be a bit more fun! :)
March 16, 2013, 07:17:46 PM
Reply #23

BillieMac

My work schedual has gotten a little erratic in the past week. A couple of emergencies added extra shifts, and I have to start an hour early today.
I said from the start that four hours a day, four days a week was a dream job, because if my boss thought he could keep me to those hours, he was dreaming, LOL. Even in a pub that's only open Wed. to Sunday 11:00 TO 8:00, it just can't be done.
The extra hours started a couple of weeks earlier than I anticipated, though, and my dog walking job got days added due to one of the humans being laid up in a truss. It's going to make my in-town banking trips tight on time.
On the bright side, it's a good working atmosphere, and I'm making a tidy sum.
March 19, 2013, 10:12:21 PM
Reply #24

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I didn't know however that it is hereditary. My mother's father was a dentist and an uncle on my father's side of the family was also a dentist. Someone in my family may have had it and it passed onto me.
Well, it's not necessarily hereditary.  Every case is different, and there are lots of different factors that can lead to or contribute to gum problems.  In my case, my periodontist thought it was an autoimmune process where my body's own immune system kept attacking the gum tissues, and I had a strong family history with this, but I don't think that's very common.  Your case might be totally different for all we know.

That is great news that you were able to go back to work so soon!  You had said 2 or 3 weeks after your appointment with your orthopedic surgeon, but it only took 1 week!

BillieMac, sorry your work hours have been longer than you wanted.  I'm glad that you're still enjoying the work though.
March 19, 2013, 10:47:11 PM
Reply #25

blue4t

• The Polliwog Blog
I came by here once and then haven't been by since, but I plan on being more of a regular.  I miss talking to all y'all.  News?  No news.   Why?  Because nothing ever happens to me.  I guess I'm partly to blame for that because I have to actually get up and do something for something to happen. 
March 20, 2013, 08:28:03 PM
Reply #26

BillieMac

BillieMac, sorry your work hours have been longer than you wanted.  I'm glad that you're still enjoying the work though.

Oh, dear, I didn't mean for that to sound like I was complaining, but reading it over, that one "LOL" didn't make it clear enough.
I'd been laughing from the start about my boss's overly optimistic assessment of what my hours would be, and anticipating an increase by Easter at the latest. The extra dog walking was what took me by surprise. The dog's owner is better now, so I can take a day off of that schedual.
One of my extra shifts at the pub was when the day dishwasher couldn't make it, and the other was because I hadn't had time to finish up a big pile of dishes that night. The unfinished work was bugging me for the two days the pub was closed, and when it opened on my third day off, I called and asked to come in and finish up.
:hufflepuffc:
March 23, 2013, 03:53:13 AM
Reply #27

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
The unfinished work was bugging me for the two days the pub was closed, and when it opened on my third day off, I called and asked to come in and finish up.
:hufflepuffc:

Wow, what a great attitude, BillieMac. I wish that contentious spirit rubbed off on other people.

I've been saving up my good news!

1. I recently had to have a skin lesion removed from my face. The docs had to remove a bit more than they originally thought, but all the tests came back as benign which is great.

2. In three weeks time my daughter will take the lead (Sarah) in a production of Guys and Dolls that is playing in the biggest theatre in Australia's capital city. She wants to do musical theatre at Uni and we could not be prouder of her.

3. This week both of my books made the top 5 on a best YA Goodreads list. This is out of 573 YA novels. I am so thankful to Yellowpepper (formerly of Leaky) for taking screencaps when I couldn't, LOL!!

:ravenclawc:
March 24, 2013, 06:26:18 PM
Reply #28

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
2. In three weeks time my daughter will take the lead (Sarah) in a production of Guys and Dolls that is playing in the biggest theatre in Australia's capital city. She wants to do musical theatre at Uni and we could not be prouder of her.

3. This week both of my books made the top 5 on a best YA Goodreads list. This is out of 573 YA novels. I am so thankful to Yellowpepper (formerly of Leaky) for taking screencaps when I couldn't, LOL!!
Those are some fantastic accomplishments!  :stars: Congratulations to you and your daughter!   :hermioneread:

And thank goodness the tests came back good, health is the most precious thing to have.  :hug:

In this particular part of the world not much has happened lately, most being due to me being incredibly busy at work nowadays. But yesterday and today I've spoiled myself with some HP Ultimate Editions to get my mood up.  :harry:
March 26, 2013, 02:29:38 PM
Reply #29

ss19

• Administrator
Congratulations, Maraudingdon! Those are great news you've been saving up!  I hope you'll tell us about your books in our new Platform 4.  I have a teenage son who's a big reader and is too lazy to go pick out his own books, so he sends me to the library for him, saying, "You know what kind of books I like.  Just choose something for me."  And he reads fast too so I'm constantly looking for more books for him to read.  I would be interested in having him try your young adult novels.

Good to have you join us, blue4t.  No news usually means nothing's wrong, which is a form of good news. :)

Sorry I misunderstood you earlier, BillieMac.  I'm glad the extra hours at your new job aren't unwanted hours.  Thank you for explaining.

April 13, 2013, 09:39:47 PM
Reply #30

BillieMac

My employers are getting married today. The wedding is in an hour and a half, in the Library Park. The Gazebo where ceremony will be is right outside the library, and I'm looking out the window at it.

They'll be signing the register with one of my quills. :) They'd asked to buy one, but I instantly decided that the quill would be my wedding gift to them. On Sunday, I loaned them my best practice quill (good shaft, straggly frond), and they tell me theyv'e been doing really well with it.

The weather's iffy, but the clouds are slowly moving away, so we won't get rained on. The sun won't be uncovered in time, though, so it'll be chilly. I'm wearing a second layer under a polar fleece dress.

Tomorrow, they're having a family breakfast at the restaurant, so I'll be working probably until 3:00 pm. After that, we'll be on ten days paid vacation while they're on their honeymoon.
April 14, 2013, 09:45:23 PM
Reply #31

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
After that, we'll be on ten days paid vacation while they're on their honeymoon.
Aah! That's a lovely gift for their employees as well! :yay: Do you have any special plans for this vacation?
April 17, 2013, 09:48:05 PM
Reply #32

BillieMac

I had planned to go to Victoria for the week, but--
On Saturday evening, I slipped on grass, my left leg flew up, and my right collapsed under me. I may have torn a ligament, and I have to go into town tomorrow for an ultrasound, to be sure.
I called Sunday morning to tell them I might not make it in to work, but I was okay standing and walking, so long as I took it easy. I managed to go in at 10:00. The regular day dishwasher was already there, and we managed to get through the work quickly, with me at the sink, and him carrying the dishes out front after they went through the machine. We were let off at half past noon, and I went back to bed for a couple of hours.
April 19, 2013, 12:27:21 AM
Reply #33

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
BillieMac, That sounds like it was a wonderful wedding, however bad luck about your fall. I do hope you are doing better and get to have a nice holiday.

So special that you were able to give them such a remarkable gift of your hand crafted quill to sign their wedding papers. A really lovely and thoughtful gift! I'm sure it will be something that they will treasure for a long time.
April 19, 2013, 09:13:14 PM
Reply #34

BillieMac

Hippogriff Lover asked if I was a friend of the bride, or the groom. The answer is- both, as they are my employers, and I met them as a customer almost a year before I was hired.

BillieMac, That sounds like it was a wonderful wedding, however bad luck about your fall. I do hope you are doing better and get to have a nice holiday.
Well, it's bad, but everyday I'm doing marginally better, so my holiday has turned into sick leave. I've had an ultrasound, and have to go back for an MRI, as they suspect a torn ligament.

I've got something worked out in my head for when we go back to work. I'm the only one who doesn't smoke, and to reach the smoking area, they all have to go through the dish pit.
The way I figure it, if they each take some clean dishes to the front after their frequent (short) smoke breaks,  I should be able to keep up.

So special that you were able to give them such a remarkable gift of your hand crafted quill to sign their wedding papers. A really lovely and thoughtful gift! I'm sure it will be something that they will treasure for a long time. [/color]
I'm sure they will.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:15:57 PM by BillieMac »
April 24, 2013, 09:35:36 PM
Reply #35

BillieMac

Well---
My knee steadily improves, but my job may have collapsed.
A transfer of ownership was in progress when I was hired, and it seems to have fallen through. Now food is going to waste in the fridge, some employee personal items are locked in the building, and we still haven't been paid for those first two weeks of April.
They were supposed to re-open on the 18th, so I'm giving them until tomorrow, then I'm applying at a place on the other side of the island.
So much for a new computer.
April 25, 2013, 01:48:38 AM
Reply #36

Buckbeak 26

Well---
My knee steadily improves, but my job may have collapsed.
A transfer of ownership was in progress when I was hired, and it seems to have fallen through. Now food is going to waste in the fridge, some employee personal items are locked in the building, and we still haven't been paid for those first two weeks of April.
They were supposed to re-open on the 18th, so I'm giving them until tomorrow, then I'm applying at a place on the other side of the island.
So much for a new computer.

Congratulations on your knee (and back?)  Sorry to hear about your possible loss of a nice close job. Due to the Sequesture  here in Georgia, the shuttle company I work for has lost up to 30% of our runs because of Robins Air Force Base has told their employees both civilian and military not to travel. That in turn has cut my hours down and I work 3 to 4 days a week now.  :(

My good news is on Monday evening my father and I went to see the movie "42. The two small scenes that Todd (my friend ) was in added to the history of Jackie Robinson, and I enjoyed the whole movie. If you haven't seen it yet please do. :)
April 25, 2013, 01:50:58 AM
Reply #37

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Gee BillieMac, seems like you have had a spate of bad luck. That's a real bummer. I think you should wait a few days, as something I have been waiting for since April 10th, finally went through today (very grateful that this problem has been put to rest!). So I do hope things will work out well for you. All the best of luck to you!   :hug:

I've heard of that movie Hippogriff Lover, I'll try to catch it if I can.
April 25, 2013, 04:53:34 PM
Reply #38

ss19

• Administrator
Sorry to hear about the problems with your job, BillieMac:console: I hope they'll be able to work things out soon.  Maybe when the bosses come back from their honeymoon they'll want to continue working there if the transfer of ownership has fallen through?

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie 42, Hippogriff Lover.  I remember your post about it in Platform 2.
April 26, 2013, 08:24:29 PM
Reply #39

BillieMac

As a matter of fact, I learned that everything is a "go", just two hours after I posted, but as the library was closed, I had to wait until now to tell you all.
We'll be re-opening on May 1st. It's going to be interesting, because that's a Wednesday, Wednesday is Wing Night, and Mayne Island is packed with "wing nuts". On the first Wing Night, cars were jammed into the small parking lot, and practically falling into the ditches on both sides of the street. Since then, the crowds have car-pooled, thank goodness.

Eta: I want to aplogize for, but not retract, the tone of my post in the IS Game thread. The previous post opened the door, and I stand by my statement.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:28:04 PM by BillieMac »