December 17, 2018, 01:23:22 AM

Author Topic: Member News Bulletin  (Read 14748 times)

April 28, 2013, 04:31:18 PM
Reply #40

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Great news on keeping your close by job, BillieMac.

The last few weeks have been pretty insane, with lots of "interesting" episodes on my new work, which didn't quite turn out as expected.  :( Due to all the hassle, I've been very tired when the days have been over and my motivations on posting more than game posts, have taken a serious hit lately.

Last weekend, in the middle of a thorough clean the house bout, my vacuum cleaner broke in like 50 pieces, when I accidentally hit a treshold in a less than good way!  :o It was old, and small pieces had been broken off before, but this was irreparable. I researched such machines over the Internet and then it turned out that the model I wanted existed in two colours. One is entirely sold out and will be back on sale in June, so I ended up with the boring colour! 

On the upside, today, finally, I've got to use my new vacuum cleaner, and boy is it good!   :hogwartsc: You'd think it runs by magic, it's a lot easier to handle and the floors are shining! So I guess it was a good thing the old one went "on".

As to my new work, I'll have to wait and see what happens....
April 28, 2013, 04:34:41 PM
Reply #41

Marielle

I don't know where to put this, there are several Dr Who topic, but none appropriate, so I am going to put this here, just because it is fun and I want to share.

We got ourselves some Dr who salt (tardis)  :tardis: and pepper shaker (dalek).  We are prepare for the battle of taste!
April 29, 2013, 03:10:21 AM
Reply #42

Buckbeak 26

I don't know where to put this, there are several Dr Who topic, but none appropriate, so I am going to put this here, just because it is fun and I want to share.

We got ourselves some Dr who salt (tardis)  :tardis: and pepper shaker (dalek).  We are prepare for the battle of taste!

Wow, that sounds cool Marielle. :) That's like the TARDIS disappearing mug is it? I remember that if you put hot liquids in it that the image of the TARDIS would disappear and reappear if cold liquid was poured into the mug. :tardis: :dalek:

I have some good news of my own tonight. I have a female friend who directed me in two plays last decade invite me for a Mexican meal at a Mexican restaurant in Warner Robins tonight. I hadn't seen her since last year when she came to see me in "The Odd Couple" and we had an extremely good visit.

Billie Mac, I am so glad that you were able to keep your job. Hopefully things will work out for the best for you. How is your knees and back. I hope you are not in too much pain.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:12:33 AM by Hippogriff Lover »
May 01, 2013, 08:26:11 PM
Reply #43

BillieMac

So much good news today. :)

Great that you got such a good vacuum cleaner, Evreka. I really haven't liked the new bagless ones that I'm stuck with in my cabin cleaning job. Good luck with your new work.

Love the Doctor Who merchandise, Marielle. It's so appropriate, because the Daleks have been described as looking like giant pepper pots for decades. I'll be buying a disappearing Tardis mug this year, to go with my de-cloaking Klingon ship. All we need is Harry and his invisibility cloak to complete the set.

It's so nice, Hippogriff Lover, to run into an old friend. A lady renting one of the cabins for a month found out that an old friend of hers lives here on the Island, and they've been enjoying daily visits.
My leg is getting better every day, thanks. I've dispensed with the cane, now.

My neighbour moved to Prince Edward Island on Sunday, and I've been getting the little house ready for the next tenant. It looks like there'll bhe one soon. In the meantime, I'm allowed to use the washing machine, which saves me the hike to and from the one in the main house.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:30:00 PM by BillieMac »
May 02, 2013, 01:05:37 AM
Reply #44

merrythought

*looks around*  So, this is a nice place!   :harryronbb:

Evreka, I hope work will go more smoothly soon.  I know what you mean about being to tired to think!  Your "down time" is really important, so don't feel guilty about making "game" posts.  You have been such a great contributor in The Hobbit chapter discussions, but don't feel pressured to try and post when you need to rest your brain!

Marielle, those salt and pepper shakers sound so cute.  I love how little things like that perk a person right up.  For me, it's sea glass; I have accumulated quite a collection (and I probably need to stop adding to it!).  The more colorful and/or interesting pieces sit on a sunny window sill, and I love seeing them lit up when I come home from work in the afternoon.

Hippogriff Lover, what a joy to see your friend/director.  I'd love to sit down with (almost) any of my past directors, for they were by and large such fascinating people.  Never a dull moment!

Billie Mac, I'm truly glad your job came through in the end.  You must be relieved.

I have a couple nice pieces of news.  I was recently named teacher of the month at my school.  It's nice to be recognized for the work one does.  But even better is the fact that my parents, who spend every winter in a warmer clime (which happens to be more than 2,000 miles from me) are coming back this week.  They had left just after Christmas, and I visited them for a week in February; but that's been it.  Although I don't live with them anymore, and actually live in the next state from their permanent home, I am just so happy that they are returning.   :hearts:
May 02, 2013, 06:53:35 PM
Reply #45

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Evreka, I hope work will go more smoothly soon.  I know what you mean about being to tired to think!  Your "down time" is really important, so don't feel guilty about making "game" posts.  You have been such a great contributor in The Hobbit chapter discussions, but don't feel pressured to try and post when you need to rest your brain!
Thanks!  :harry:

As for my job, I sure hope it picks up soon...

I have a couple nice pieces of news.  I was recently named teacher of the month at my school.  It's nice to be recognized for the work one does. 
Oh, Wow! :stars: Congratulation! That must feel great! If you'd like to share it, what kind of teacher are you? (Otherwise ignore this question, that's perfectly fine.  :hug: )

And it's always great to have family not too far away, so I understand you are happy to have your parents within (easier) visiting distance.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:55:32 PM by Evreka »
May 02, 2013, 11:26:37 PM
Reply #46

merrythought

Evreka, I teach literature and writing at the high school level.  8)
May 03, 2013, 02:55:45 AM
Reply #47

Buckbeak 26

I have a couple nice pieces of news.  I was recently named teacher of the month at my school.  It's nice to be recognized for the work one does.  But even better is the fact that my parents, who spend every winter in a warmer clime (which happens to be more than 2,000 miles from me) are coming back this week.  They had left just after Christmas, and I visited them for a week in February; but that's been it.  Although I don't live with them anymore, and actually live in the next state from their permanent home, I am just so happy that they are returning.   :hearts:

It is nice Merrythought, when one gets recognition for what (s)he does. I had an instance like that in early 2007 in my last job before the one I have now. I worked security in a local hotel and one of our auditors came to check into a room. (This is a corporate person who comes and checks that all is running correctly.) One room was against a wall that lead to the lobby building, the other had a fold in the middle of the bed that was uncomfortable. I finally got her a room that she liked and she mentioned it to the GM, who in turn commended me and had me come to a work appreciation breakfast a week or so later. Just thought I would share that with you and everyone.
May 03, 2013, 08:02:51 PM
Reply #48

BillieMac

That's great, merrythought. You'll be able to celebrate two things with them.

Billie Mac, I'm truly glad your job came through in the end.  You must be relieved.
I was- for a grand total of five days. On May 1st, there was no opening.
A friend happened to be driving by and pulled over, and took me to her place for a sympathetic ear. When she dropped me off back home, I saw lights on inside the restaurant and went to investigate. The owners were inside cleaning up, and told me that the deal had fallen through again. In fact, the ones who were supposed to be taking over had skipped.
The owners are going to try to get another cook and re-open on the 16th, but didn't sound confident. If it doesn't happen, I'll look elsewhere on the Island. I know that at least I'll get a good reference out of this.
May 03, 2013, 09:57:18 PM
Reply #49

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Evreka, I teach literature and writing at the high school level.  8)
Oh, that sounds as an inspiring and fun job - but I guess it has a lot of frustration too.  :hug: But it must be really awarding to get such a price!

BillieMac - I hope it sorts itself out in a good way and you get the job back!  :console:

May 11, 2013, 09:06:46 AM
Reply #50

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
It's funny how life arranges itself sometimes, even in the details. A few weeks ago I bit off a little bit of a tooth - ouch! At first it seemed like a complete bummer, not least as this of course happened at a Friday breakfast and my dentist only works Monday to Thursday.  >:( Last time this happened I went to an emergency clinic for teeth and got away with such a poor fix that she later had to drill it all out and redo it. This time I was determined to wait for Monday, and so I did. As I left home on Monday I forgot my ongoing book on the table.

When I phoned her on the Monday to beg for an emergancy slot, it turned out I had a booked time that afternoon(!) which I'd completely forgotten about!  :o Not showing up for dentist appointments are a very boring way to spend a LOT of money in this part of the world, as you get to pay anyway! So I was thoroughly relieved I'd found out! She did agree to try to see me a bit earlier though, but of course she couldn't promise, so I must be prepared to wait. Consequently I rushed into a book store on my way there, to be set for a long wait. The first thing I stumbled over was Maeve Binchy's last book, A Week in Winter, so I got that one.

Once at the clininc, I was in luck and barely had time to read one page before it was my turn!  ;D (Unfortunately she decided to mend it temporarily and gave me a new (longer) time slot to come back and fix it properly in, which is still to come.) However, once home I reluctantly decided to finish my current book before starting the new one. Which eventually meant that I could read the last book of my favourite author almost continously over two days, instead of in bits and pieces during commutes!

So all in all, this tooth business wasn't so bad after all...  :fredgeorge:
May 11, 2013, 10:18:10 PM
Reply #51

BillieMac

That's great, Evreka, the way things just fell into place for you. I hope it'a as good for me when I see my dentist on Monday.

I had to get a filling a couple of months ago, and it's hurt every time I bite on something in the molar. On my last visit he did a more thorough investigation, and found a crack in the enamel, so he has to re-drill and re-fill.
May 16, 2013, 01:01:20 AM
Reply #52

Buckbeak 26

Well all,

My work has picked up a bit recently, and yesterday I picked up 4 50 pound suitcases and 2 30-50 pound boxes, and got a $5.00 tip for lifting all that luggage. I had no trouble and am doing very well!

This Saturday night my friend Don Boyd who who was in (and directed) Catfish Moon has invited me to the cast party, which will be at his new residence in Fort Valley. I am so excited that even though I was not in the show that we are good friends, and I get to go. Just thought I would pass this on to you. :bravo:
May 22, 2013, 08:26:25 PM
Reply #53

BillieMac

That's fantastic that you're feeling so much better now, Buckbeak 26. I hope you had fun at the party, too.

Btw, my new filling is doing fine. A small touch of sensitivity still, but steadily lessening.
May 22, 2013, 08:38:14 PM
Reply #54

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Btw, my new filling is doing fine. A small touch of sensitivity still, but steadily lessening.
;D Great! So is my new, permanent one!

Today I was able to go home from work after "just" one hour's overtime!  :whew: (A first this week.)
May 22, 2013, 09:45:49 PM
Reply #55

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I'm glad your back is doing so well, Buckbeak 26.  That is great news!

I'm also glad to hear that BillieMac and Evreka's fillings are both doing well.  It can be such a pain, literally, when they aren't.  I had one many, many years ago that I had to go back to the dentist to have adjusted three times before it stopped hurting.

I don't have any real personal news to report, but I'm happy today that I finally got around to giving my dog a bath that was way overdue.  :pawprint:
May 23, 2013, 02:40:25 AM
Reply #56

Buckbeak 26

That's fantastic that you're feeling so much better now, Buckbeak 26. I hope you had fun at the party, too.

Yes I am doing fine and I had a wonderful time at the party. We ended up singing songs out on the back porch and I actually took some videos. Hopefully I will be able to send them to you all so you can enjoy them. (If you would like to see them)

Great news on your filling Billie. I have had 3 or 4 in my life. When I was 11, I ended up with a silver filling (amalgam) on one of my lower right teeth. When I had it replaced because of decay (in 2006) the assistant helping the dentist removing it said,"I have never seen a silver filling before." I was thinking to myself,"well you've seen one now." I couldn't talk as the dentist had numbed up my mouth and had it open. Good luck to you and Evreka with your fillings.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:18:44 AM by Buckbeak 26 »
May 26, 2013, 04:38:32 PM
Reply #57

Buckbeak 26

This is not a "Double Post", it just happens that I last left an entry 3 days ago in here( I was the last one to leave a post) and now I have another one to share with you.

This is for all the Doctor Who fans .(of which I am one) I had a 1 up (from Griffin Georgia to the airport )and 1 back on Thursday afternoon. When I was on Hwy 16 nearing Griffin, I was behind a red Honda Pilot when I happened to notice the license plate frame. On the top it said, "Doctor Who" and underneath the license plate numbers and letters it said on the bottom,"My other car is a TARDIS"! :tardis:

I just thought that you would all get a kick out of this. :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 04:40:12 PM by Buckbeak 26 »
June 12, 2013, 09:52:10 PM
Reply #58

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
On my way home from work today I bought two Blue-Rays that I have long wanted to get:
Les Miserables and The Hobbit, both of which films I missed when they were in theatres. To cap it all they both had lots of interesting sounding extra material on them - which I just love! :stars: I bought this as a gift to myself for a release at work that went really well - which was a nice change to previous releases!  :ginny:

Once home, I decided I should finally replant some flowers which I anticipated would take several hours - it ended up taking a good deal less than one, so a very nice surprise! All in all a great evening.  :flower:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:55:01 PM by Evreka »
June 14, 2013, 08:04:42 PM
Reply #59

BillieMac

It's always nice when a job takes less time than you thought, Evreka. I should do a bit of planting myself, even though I'm really not good with plants. I am good a potions in real life, and really should grow my own herbs for that.

Two nights ago there was a great Vancouver Island story on the news about a viral video. A grad up-island had made a HP movie quote in her yearbook. Unfortunately, I don't remember where to look for it, so can't link. I'll see if I can link the news story later, but don't hold your breath. I've only done that once.

Last evening, not so good. Watching the 5:00 news; there was breaking news just after 5:30. Someone had driven through the barrier and into the water at the ferry terminal on Mayne Island. All I know so far is that is that it was an elderly woman in a red SUV. So far at the library, which is usually information central, no word on if it's an islander.

Eta: I got more over lunch. It was someone from Galiano Island, and she's OK.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:49:41 PM by BillieMac »