August 18, 2018, 01:43:02 PM

Author Topic: Curses! Spoiled Again!  (Read 2162 times)

April 01, 2013, 12:20:45 AM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Few books have ever inspired the level of frenzied anticipation  :stars: as did those of the Harry Potter series when they were first released.  With each new JK Rowling book, fans raced to discover whether their theories of what might happen next to Harry and his companions had come to bear.  Unfortunately, sometimes the exciting news of what had come to pass with our favorite characters would leak out before we'd read the book ourselves!  :scared: Has this ever happened to you?  Were you ever "spoiled" with a juicy bit of Harry Potter information before you had the chance to read it in the book?  How did it happen?  Was it just a minor disappointment when it happened or was it nearly devastating?  Go ahead and tell us about it, you've found a shoulder to cry on here.   :console:

Thanks to Hermione P for her post here which inspired the idea for this topic!  :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
April 01, 2013, 04:18:28 AM
Reply #1

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Yes!!!!!!!

My husband read in the paper about Snape killing Dumbledore and told me about. I was only a few pages away from it at the time. It was a devastating spoiler for me.

So when Deathly Hallows came out I locked myself away from start to finish.

April 01, 2013, 09:08:42 AM
Reply #2

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
My family bought the paperback editions of the first 5 books to save money. The day OotP was released, a friend's MSN Messenger status was "A toast for Sirius Black :siriusbike:" or something to that effect. (*>_<*) Didn't mind getting spoiled about Umbridge when I was surfing Potter sites though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:10:44 AM by Hermione P »
April 01, 2013, 09:31:17 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
OOP was released June 21, 2003, and the reason I remember the exact date with such ease is because it coincided with Midsummer Day, which is quite as big a holliday in Sweden as Christmas Day. Nowadays it isn't quite as "rigid" anymore, but in 2003 in principle all shops were still closed that Day and I worried endlessly how I'd get hold of the book on publication day. Given the enormous event of a publication day for a HP book, though, one book shop dedicated to fantasy and science fiction books in Stockholm, decided to open for four hours that day between noon and 4PM. It was a huge decision, and it also meant that if you wanted to get hold of the book at the first day you had one and only one place to get it at. On the other hand, most people in this country (read kids) needs to wait for the translated book, so I considered comming to the book store about 30 min in advance was a good margin. I was a wee bit wrong to put it mildly... the line-up covered several blocks by then......

As I began to walk along it to find the end, I noticed a small knot of teens at the head of it, dressed up in Hogwart robes with Slytherin scarves.  :slytherinc: Despite the length of the outdoors queue it didn't take very long for me to get inside the doors of the store, due to them having several cashiers, each with their own indoors line-up. As I got into the middle line (which turned out to be a very bad alternative as it barely moved forward at all) the Slytherins from the front had just got their books and came back to the book piles where I (and others) were stuck. Instead of moving out of the shop, they congregated there and began to read aloud from their books, :scared:  what I later came to realise was chapter titles and the text on the back of the book, however at the time I was going crazy as I tried my outmost to block their voices out!  :scared:   >:( I don't think I've ever come so close to bang a book into some strangers' heads as I was then!  :voldemortharry: I think it was very lucky for them that the magic doesn't really work or they'd found themselves to have been ferrets or something worse - I wasn't the only one who clearly considered possible actions to make them SHUT UP!  Eventually my line did move forward and someone ushered them out.

On the Underground home, I sat opposite a Mum and her son with a brand new OOP, and the mother suggested they'd start reading on their way home!!! :o She took the book, opened it and began to read the first chapter out aloud! I jumped up and changed carriage!

I've never - either before or after - EVER felt so threatened by fellow book shoppers as I did then! I didn't want to hear anything at all from the book until I got home and read it myself...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:37:27 PM by Evreka »
April 04, 2013, 07:18:39 PM
Reply #4

SnapesSister

• Forum Moderator
I was lucky enough never to get spoiled - instead, I am guilty of spoiling! I read Half Blood Prince in a day, while my brother was at work and his newly delivered copy hadn't even been opened yet. I was so shocked by the time I finished HBP that, as soon as my brother walked in the door that evening I blurted, "Snape killed Dumbledore!!!" He was soooooo not impressed with me! I think I was lucky not to get lynched...  ::)
April 05, 2013, 09:22:40 AM
Reply #5

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
Ouch SnapesSister, how  :owlsd:   ;)

I've only had one explicit spoiler happen to me.  I did not start the series until after all of the books were released, and I did not visit any fan sites until I had finished the series, so I ended up not being in as much danger from people who just could not hold it in. (:ashamed:) However our family did view each of the films after my kiddo and I had read the corresponding book together.  And since I wanted to make sure that the films were not going to be too frightening for the young one, I turned to the web to read about them before viewing them.  When I visited IMDB to learn about Prisoner of Azkaban, I was none too pleased to see on that page that someone had chosen to express their dislike for the new actor playing Dumbledore by making a post which they titled, Forget Snape, Gambon killed Dumbledore!  >:(  So I read the rest of the series knowing that at some point 1) Dumbledore buys it, and 2) Snape is the one who does the deed.  Sigh.  Although I have to say that the scene was still thrilling when I read it; I love how (at least in the hardback Scholastic version), as the suspense on the Astronomy Tower is building, the reader turns the page to find Avada Kedavra! first thing at the top of the next page.   :surprised:

Although this one does not count as direct spoilage, I do think it is as good as a spoil when the Scholastic book jacket of OOTP says that Harry will suffer "unbearable sacrifice".  Really, what else could that mean?  I knew the end was near for Sirius before I even started reading the book and I was none too happy about it.  :'(

April 05, 2013, 10:09:03 AM
Reply #6

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
In the UK, there was a news story about a reader who pinned a huge sign above a motorway bridge stating "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!"

It was seen by thousands of people before someone took it down.
April 06, 2013, 12:50:47 PM
Reply #7

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
Well on the lead-up to Deathly Hallows release I was well prepared to be spoiled, so that other Potter fans wouldn't be! :D I don't think I was spoiled too badly, lots of my friends (some members of DS :D ) were however. I didn't have a problem with the queuing in shops, I got my parents (then just Mum) to take me to the bookstore for books 5, 6 and 7 on the release day. With books 5 and 6 I zoomed to the end to check that "my Neville" was still alive (and, obviously the Trio and others :D ). So I was fairly spoiled for book6 6, and I THINK I was prepared for book 5 - though I shred a fair few tears! :) But for book 7, I refused to skip ahead - my final option was to stape the last few pages together, to stop e skipping ahead, but thankfully it didn't go that far! :D 

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
April 09, 2013, 02:49:15 PM
Reply #8

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I didn't find Harry Potter until after DH was already released, which meant that I missed all the pre-release theorizing, but on the upside it also meant that I was able to read the entire series in one go without catching any spoilers.  (I didn't talk to anyone about the books and didn't join any online forums until after I finished all the books.)

I did, however, once catch a major spoiler for The Lord of the Rings (...please bear with me - this story has to do with Harry Potter indirectly...) from a friend literally right after I begged her not to give me any spoilers (she knew I was in the middle of reading Book 1 for the first time).  I was very upset with the friend when that happened, and in her own defense one of the things she said was that she thought the spoiler I caught was common knowledge amongst the general population even if I hadn't read the books yet (which wasn't true, obviously).  This is what I'm afraid is going to happen to the next generation of Harry Potter readers because of how ubiquitous Harry Potter has become and how it has completely and irreversibly infiltrated popular culture.

I have two children who haven't read the Harry Potter books yet and I spend a lot of energy trying to protect them from spoilers along with other more commonly accepted dangers of life.  They do know some of the character names and other general things about the series and love those Potter Puppet Pal videos.  One day my son came home saying that someone told him at school that Snape killed Dumbledore.  I quickly improvised and said, "No, he didn't.  It's an inside joke and you won't get it until you've read the books."  He bought my explanation, apparently, and luckily my other son who has read the books and was there when this happened cooperated and didn't contradict what I said. :whew:
April 09, 2013, 11:48:29 PM
Reply #9

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
I did, however, once catch a major spoiler for The Lord of the Rings

Did this happen before or after the movies were released?

Some time back someone posted in Pottermore's Great Hall that he/she had watched the Fellowship of the Ring and
Spoiler
was crying over Boromir and Gandalf's deaths.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to catch him/her in time to hint that
Spoiler
Gandalf would be returning.
April 12, 2013, 03:20:42 AM
Reply #10

ss19

• Administrator
(The spoiler tags in this post are for The Lord of the Rings, in case anyone hasn't read those books yet.)

Did this happen before or after the movies were released?
It happened after the movies were released, but before I watched any of the movies.

Some time back someone posted in Pottermore's Great Hall that he/she had watched the Fellowship of the Ring and[/font]
Spoiler
was crying over Boromir and Gandalf's deaths.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to catch him/her in time to hint that
Spoiler
Gandalf would be returning.

Spoiler
That's the spoiler I heard from my friend!  I'm so glad you weren't able to catch that person in Pottermore's Great Hall to give the hint.  Maybe I'm more more sensitive than the average person when it comes to spoilers, I don't know, but to me that was a major spoiler, almost as bad as the Snape-killed-Dumbledore spoiler.  At the point where I was at in Book 1, I should have been mourning Gandalf's death and worrying about how the fellowship was going to carry on without Gandalf's leadership.  I really didn't want to know that he was coming back.  It ruined that part of the book for me completely.  I lost my opportunity to experience the shock and joy of seeing Gandalf reappear when he did because I already knew it was going to happen thanks to the spoiler.  And the whole period of time leading up to that I was no longer worried about the fellowship, knowing that when Gandalf does come back, he'll make things OK again.

In an effort to get back on topic here about Harry Potter spoilers, I don't have any more spoiler experience related to the books but have something I want to say about the Potter movies.  Did you want to limit the discussions in this thread to just the books, paint it Black, or is it OK to include movie spoilers in the same thread?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:41:53 PM by ss19 »
April 12, 2013, 06:21:26 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
At the time OOP was released I was a Mod at a long since gone HP community. In the week leading up to the release a newly joined member was "kind" enough to post and let us all know that she'd get hold of a book already and posted some snippets from it "to prove that she really had it".   >:(  :grawp: :voldemortharry:

I remember taking care of that post, and forcing myself to stop reading after that memorable sentence. And, somehow, it worked. Despite having to deal with the text I managed to stay unspoiled.  :whew:

But in my book, ANY information from a book that is further ahead than the reader currently is, is a spoiler. (Therefore I agree with ss19 on the spoiler marked, off-topic, comment above.) And for the same reason I was trying to avoid any and all "spoilers" from Jo Rowling in comments shortly before each release of the last three books. I always read the last interviews before a book release (or movie one for that matter) after I'd finished the book/seen the movie myself.  :hermioneread:

April 13, 2013, 08:43:02 AM
Reply #12

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
Did you want to limit the discussions in this thread to just the books, paint it Black, or is it OK to include movie spoilers in the same thread?
Well, I had intended the topic to be book spoilers, but movie spoilers also happen, and I want to hear your story.  So feel free to toss in your movie spoiler experiences everyone!  :fredgeorge:

.... I remember taking care of that post, and forcing myself to stop reading after that memorable sentence. And, somehow, it worked. Despite having to deal with the text I managed to stay unspoiled.  :whew:
Wow, that's remarkable.  Good for you!  I really had little idea of the presence of vast online communities devoted to HP when I was reading the series for the first time, so for me ignorance was bliss.  :)

April 25, 2013, 05:50:31 PM
Reply #13

ss19

• Administrator
Well, I had intended the topic to be book spoilers, but movie spoilers also happen, and I want to hear your story.  So feel free to toss in your movie spoiler experiences everyone!  :fredgeorge:
Thank you, paint it Black. :harry: By the time I found the Harry Potter series, the books had all been released and the OotP movie was already out on DVD.  In order to make up for missing out on all the pre-release speculations and what not for all the books and for the first 5 movies, I went overboard and read almost every single piece of news that came out before the HBP movie release, and looked at almost all the photos and video clips that were released during the production period.  By the time I watched the HBP movie in the theatre, the first HP movie I was able to watch on the big screen, it felt like I had already seen the movie (in bits and pieces), which sort of ruined the experience on some level.  So I learned from that mistake, and for DH1 and DH2, I stayed away from the pre-release news and photos as much as was possible, and did enjoy watching those movies for the first time in the theatres in one piece much, much more.

Now, relating this to the discussion on book spoilers...after I finished reading all 7 books, I read a book called Mugglenet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7.  In it there were some descriptions of what some fans speculate will happen in Book 7 and the arguments supporting them.  I read this after the fact, after I already knew what actually happens in Book 7, but I really enjoyed reading that book very much.  It was amazing what sort of theories people came up with and how.  After what happened to me with regards to the HBP movie being spoiled, however, I remembered that book and wondered if the early fans might have been spoiled in some way for the same reason, because they had heard (or speculated themselves) some of what happens in future books before they read them.  :trio:
June 11, 2013, 10:38:27 PM
Reply #14

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
Leading up to the release of DH I was modding on the Lounge and one of the main things we were looking for was people posting spoilers (instant banning!) and I did see a couple of spoilers but one I did open posted the names of all those who died in DH in a font that was around two inches high in bold black so there was no chance of missing it.  I didn't read the whole post, just seeing the names at the top were enough to know it had to go but I did have to scroll down to remove it and when the book was released and Hedwig and Moody died I knew then that Snape wouldn't survive either.  Thankfully I'd managed to not read any more of it so Fred, Lupin, Dobby and the rest were completely unexpected.   

June 12, 2013, 10:18:06 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Leading up to the release of DH I was modding on the Lounge and one of the main things we were looking for was people posting spoilers (instant banning!) and I did see a couple of spoilers but one I did open posted the names of all those who died in DH in a font that was around two inches high in bold black so there was no chance of missing it.  I didn't read the whole post, just seeing the names at the top were enough to know it had to go but I did have to scroll down to remove it and when the book was released and Hedwig and Moody died I knew then that Snape wouldn't survive either.  Thankfully I'd managed to not read any more of it so Fred, Lupin, Dobby and the rest were completely unexpected.
Ouch!  :bear: Dreamteam what an idiot, posting spoilers in such a way! That's an Unforgivable thing to do, I hope you sent them straight to Azkaban!

When HBP was about to be released, so probably in the week leading up to 16 July 2005, Leaky Lounge was striving to set up their very first Reading Groups ever (bar a mini test round earlier that year) and having a lot of trouble with getting the authorities for those who sorted to work. According to plan, the groups should have been filled with a better margin to the release, but in the end they had to redo the Sorting because your posting abilities Vannished as soon as you were Sorted into a group. The whole ordeal dragged on for much longer than intended and I was still checking the board in the intent to get Sorted, much nearer to the release date than I'd really wanted. Yet, thankfully, I missed the spoiler that one of my Snape loving friends became very downcast over. At the time she told me she'd seen a spoiler she wished she hadn't seen, and warned me from checking who else was on! Later, after we both finished HBP, she explained exactly what she'd seen: Someone apparently registered under the username SNAPEKILLSDUMBLEDORE. Of course they were banned quickly, but not quick enough for those that were on at the time.  :voldemortharry:
November 14, 2014, 04:45:22 PM
Reply #16

ss19

• Administrator
My 9-year-old daughter tried the Harry Potter books maybe a year ago when some of her other friends were really into the series, but couldn't really get into them so she stopped reading a few chapters into Book 2.  Recently, out of the blue she asked to try the Potter books again and really likes it this time, and has been reading the series, which made me very happy.

When she had just finished PoA (or may have just started GoF), she commented that her favorite character is probably Sirius or Lupin, and doesn't understand why Snape would be my favorite.  I told her that there are so many great characters in the series and I have other favorites beside Snape.  I mentioned that Sirius is my second favorite, then my third favorite is a four-way tie but she hasn't met one of the four characters yet and won't meet her until OotP.

My 13-year-old son, who gave up on the Potter books after trying the beginning of the first book but who saw some of the movies, overheard our conversation and asked (referring to the character who will appear in OotP), "Is it Beatrice?"   I said, "There's no Beatrice in the series."  My son then replied, "Yes, there is.  Isn't her name Beatrice?  The one who killed Sirius."  At this point, I realized he meant Bellatrix, of course, and also realized that he just spoiled Sirius's death for my daughter! Arghhh!!!!! :headbang:  I looked over at her and she looked so crestfallen...  :'(
November 15, 2014, 05:39:01 PM
Reply #17

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When she had just finished PoA (or may have just started GoF), she commented that her favorite character is probably Sirius or Lupin, and doesn't understand why Snape would be my favorite.  I told her that there are so many great characters in the series and I have other favorites beside Snape.  I mentioned that Sirius is my second favorite, then my third favorite is a four-way tie but she hasn't met one of the four characters yet and won't meet her until OotP.

My 13-year-old son, who gave up on the Potter books after trying the beginning of the first book but who saw some of the movies, overheard our conversation and asked (referring to the character who will appear in OotP), "Is it Beatrice?"   I said, "There's no Beatrice in the series."  My son then replied, "Yes, there is.  Isn't her name Beatrice?  The one who killed Sirius."  At this point, I realized he meant Bellatrix, of course, and also realized that he just spoiled Sirius's death for my daughter! Arghhh!!!!! :headbang:  I looked over at her and she looked so crestfallen...  :'(
Ooooh NOOO:'( That's a terrible way to learn about it!! Did he realise what he just did?

I guess, if you haven't read the books you don't quite grasp the magnitude of early, ground-shaking spoilers (and indeed smaller ones as well), but at the same time, he's a ticking bomb if he can't learn to respect people who are still reading something where he knows the end...  :shake:  >:( I guess he didn't do it deliberately, but still...
November 22, 2014, 12:41:42 AM
Reply #18

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator

O how TERRIBLE!   :o  I'm guessing that you have not disowned him or anything, but OH NO!  :grawp: I think I would have had to calm myself down and remind myself that it was only an accident, especially after how disappointed your daughter seemed.  :(  What did you tell her?  I don't know if it would divert her attention from Sirius to tell her that sadly, some of the good guys as well as the bad guys do die in the series...?  If Sirius is one of her favorites, at least Harry will share her despair when he goes through the veil (unlike Lupin, who IMO got cheated out of a good dramatic death).  I hope she has recovered by now and is still enjoying the series.  :console:

December 13, 2014, 04:34:43 AM
Reply #19

ss19

• Administrator

Ooooh NOOO:'( That's a terrible way to learn about it!! Did he realise what he just did?

I guess, if you haven't read the books you don't quite grasp the magnitude of early, ground-shaking spoilers (and indeed smaller ones as well), but at the same time, he's a ticking bomb if he can't learn to respect people who are still reading something where he knows the end...  :shake:  >:( I guess he didn't do it deliberately, but still...

Yes, he realized what he did after seeing my reaction to it.  I was not happy, though I did quickly make myself calm down, thinking to myself that the more I make a big deal out of it, the more my daughter will remember this when she gets to that place in OotP.  So I tried to bluff instead and said to my son, "You haven't even read the books, how do you know Bellatrix?"  When he answered that he saw her in the movie, I replied that some things in the movies are different from the books, and left it at that.

I see quite a few kids throw around spoilers casually, not Harry Potter ones specifically but books and movies in general.  I've had to stop my kids' friends giving my kids' spoilers in my car when we carpool numerous times.  I think being young and immature many of them just tend not to think too much of it.  My son, though, being 13, should be old enough to know better, and he is usually pretty good about it probably because he knows I take this very seriously.  This incident was really just a slip because he was trying to describe Bellatrix to me after I said there was no such person in the series and that's what he remembered about her.

O how TERRIBLE!   :o  I'm guessing that you have not disowned him or anything, but OH NO!  :grawp: I think I would have had to calm myself down and remind myself that it was only an accident, especially after how disappointed your daughter seemed.  :(  What did you tell her?  I don't know if it would divert her attention from Sirius to tell her that sadly, some of the good guys as well as the bad guys do die in the series...?  If Sirius is one of her favorites, at least Harry will share her despair when he goes through the veil (unlike Lupin, who IMO got cheated out of a good dramatic death).  I hope she has recovered by now and is still enjoying the series.  :console:

I tried to brush over it instead of discussing it since she didn't know when this was going to happen yet - could have been at the end of DH for all she knew - in the hope that it won't still be on her mind by the time she reads it.  She has since finished reading the series, and was sad when she got to Sirius's death despite knowing it was coming.  :'(