August 17, 2018, 07:57:52 PM

Author Topic: Life's frustrations (or things that anger or upset us)  (Read 4330 times)

April 13, 2013, 11:42:25 PM

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
We don't like them.  We can't escape them.  No one is immune.  What better place to vent about them than here within this awesome online community that we have?  We can't make bad things go away, but we'll provide a shoulder for each other to cry on, and lots of virtual hugs to go around. :hug: :bear: :console:

So, let's hear about anything that's making you upset or frustrated.

Thank you to Hippogriff Lover for suggesting this thread. :flower:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:53:44 PM by ss19 »

April 14, 2013, 02:20:45 AM
Reply #1

Buckbeak 26

Wow ask and it shall be recieved! :yay: Thanks so much ss_19  :whew:

Since I suggested this thread which was popular on LeakyI'll go first.:)

I had 2 instances last night at work:

First a competitor's bus :tardis: going to Athens, Georgia pulled into Ground Transportation at the Atlanta Airport (in front of me) and started loading passengers. What struck me really strange was that the driver told at least 3 people standing there waiting to go to Athens that because of an overload (more passengers than the vehicle will hold) and a scheduling conflict that he couldn't take them. As I was behind him in the loading area, and had my two windows down in the Toyota Sienna ( one of our minivans) they asked me if I could take them. I politely told them that most of the time we could take them but that Athens was out of our way that I couldn't. They were fine with that and I told them that another van up at the front of the line could take them and I also said,"I'm not trying to steal you from [the competitor] but,... " as I got to that point the driver overheard me and interrupted me saying," ...What your not trying to do is what you do anyway"! I was so irritated that I replied to him," Why don't you just mind your own business"! The young lady that had approached me turned to me and said,"I thank you for your help and you did a great job trying to help us." which made me feel quite a bit better but still angry at the Groome driver.

Then later when my reservation came out to go to Perry, Georgia , a young woman asked me if I could take her to Warner Robins. ( on my way to Perry) And I told her that wouldn't be a problem because I would drop her first and then go to Perry. I also had another gentleman who wanted to go to Fort Valley. I told him I would take him, but that he would be dropped off last as Perry was my reservation stop and that I had her to think about as she paid full price, while he was a extra fare (or a walk-on) . I told them again when we got to South Macon around exit 155. The gentleman who was riding up front with me said," So that means I'm last." I told him yes. After dropping my Warner Robins and Perry passengers off, he started moaning and complaining that I was driving him all over the place and that the competitor would have had him in Fort Valley long before this. At this time it was 2:30 AM this morning and so I told him that the competitor would have stopped in Macon first then Warner Robins, and then to Fort Valley and so I would drop him off sooner. He was very angry and so I was glad when I dropped him in Fort Valley.

Sorry but I had to vent. That was very frustrating last night but it always seems to happen infrequently.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:10:33 PM by ss19 »
April 30, 2013, 04:54:03 PM
Reply #2

siena

In my bag of Bassetts Jelly Babies that I bought (and devoured) today there was only one ( ! ) >:( blackcurrant flavoured jelly - can you believe it ! This is reason enough for some serious discontentment ...
May 02, 2013, 12:29:47 AM
Reply #3

Buckbeak 26

The work drama continues... :(

Last night when I got to my workplace in Byron Ga, my boss informed me that I would be picking up 3 people.
1. A customer that had been using us since 2007/2008.
2. Two customers who were new but enjoyed the ride.

The customer that had been using us is a Professor and was the first to arrive at the pick up area. One of the other 2 people had been delayed and was getting in at 8:50 PM. I told the gentleman that we had to wait for these other two and he got very upset. I then told him that either he could take the competitor home or wait with me. (I left at 9:30) He chose to do the former and so I ended up with my other 2 plus 2 walk-ons to Macon.

I just got home from dinner this evening, and found out from my boss that the Professor did not call him! :mrsblack: So yes he had to wait but if one of you were going to Macon or Warner Robins area, and your flight was delayed I (or one of the other drivers) would have waited for you.
:snapeboggart:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:04:33 AM by ss19 »
May 02, 2013, 10:09:08 PM
Reply #4

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
What I want to know is how my cats know what day it is (or maybe it's that they don't know what day it is!)  When I have to get up early for work they snooze away happily even though I'm up and about when I have a day off, like today, they're awake at the crack of dawn wanting feeding and the door open to explore the garden.  Get a calendar, cats!

May 03, 2013, 01:18:49 AM
Reply #5

ss19

• Administrator
I don't have any serious frustrations to report here, like those work issues poor Hippogriff Lover keeps having to deal with.  I only have very minor and self-inflicted annoyances such as having some overly-ripe bananas I needed to get rid of, thus making some banana pancakes in order to use them up, except I forgot to put them in and only found out too late when one of the kids finally comments that she can't taste any bananas in the pancakes this time for some reason...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:27:20 AM by ss19 »
June 26, 2013, 03:44:29 PM
Reply #6

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I'm seething... if you are close enough to me, you'll probably see some of the fumings...  :P

I've spent the greater part of today trying to sort out an ordering mess (that I helped create in the first place) regarding my firewall and anti-virus renewal.  :lucius: The fact that I helped create it in the first place has done nothing to lift my mood - on the contrary. While dancing around on their support webpages trying to reach a person, somewhere, to help me (ie email, phone number...) I come upon this chat functionality: "Chat with a XXX Product Professional, who can help with most problems, with little to no waiting time. The functionality is offered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!" Perfect!  :harry: Or so you think.... Unfortunately this offer doesn't seem to include meal time, night time, day time, Wednesdays or any other time I need it!  :grawp: :grawp: :grawp: :grawp:

At three different times I've looked at an empty chat window claiming there are unintended delays and someone will be with me "shortly". "Shortly" being a most elusive word, the longest I waited for this person to show up was 45 minutes!!! Still no luck....  :madeye:

So, OK, there could be a long line-up of people waiting, but then it would have been nice with some sort of progress bar, or there are currently 67 people before you or whatever. "Thanks for waiting" every 10th minutes or so doesn't cut it. How am I supposed to know it is attended at all???

I suppose I better try to find an email address instead....
July 07, 2013, 08:20:35 PM
Reply #7

Buckbeak 26

More work problems, so "here we go again". :(    :doctor4:

Last night the competition overloaded 2 or 3 times to the Macon area, while I waited for my customer. At about 10:30 pm, my customer finally came out and as I was preparing to load her another woman approached me and wanted to go to Byron. (Right up the street from where our office is, no less.) I checked with my boss and he quoted $40.00 when I told her, she was unhappy, and before I could drop the price she said,"The competitor charges $38 to go there", and got out of the van. It was 2 dollars too much for her. Oh well, these things happen but I was up there for at least 2 hours so I couldn't get anyone extra last night.
July 10, 2013, 02:57:44 AM
Reply #8

Buckbeak 26

I'm seething... if you are close enough to me, you'll probably see some of the fumings...  :P

I've spent the greater part of today trying to sort out an ordering mess (that I helped create in the first place) regarding my firewall and anti-virus renewal.  :lucius: The fact that I helped create it in the first place has done nothing to lift my mood - on the contrary. While dancing around on their support webpages trying to reach a person, somewhere, to help me (ie email, phone number...) I come upon this chat functionality: "Chat with a XXX Product Professional, who can help with most problems, with little to no waiting time. The functionality is offered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!" Perfect!  :harry: Or so you think.... Unfortunately this offer doesn't seem to include meal time, night time, day time, Wednesdays or any other time I need it!  :grawp: :grawp: :grawp: :grawp:

At three different times I've looked at an empty chat window claiming there are unintended delays and someone will be with me "shortly". "Shortly" being a most elusive word, the longest I waited for this person to show up was 45 minutes!!! Still no luck....  :madeye:

So, OK, there could be a long line-up of people waiting, but then it would have been nice with some sort of progress bar, or there are currently 67 people before you or whatever. "Thanks for waiting" every 10th minutes or so doesn't cut it. How am I supposed to know it is attended at all???

I suppose I better try to find an email address instead....

Again not a double post, but that is now the rule rather than the exception Evreka, every time I order a prescription of pills that I take once a day, I always have trouble with the automated service. When you  get a person it isn't much better but they do help you get what you want. I also have that kind of problem when I try to call an airline to check a specific flight landing in Atlanta. Recently, I went to pick up someone (see above post with my frustration) coming in on Airtran. When I called the airline on the automated line,  I could not get the right info and ended up calling an agent. He gave me the correct info and I picked her up. But you're correct Evreka, every time we do something on the phone or online they either make you wait or give you the wrong info! :bear: :mcgonagall2:
July 26, 2013, 10:01:18 PM
Reply #9

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
This borrowed laptop is driving me bonkers. As I type my replies, it sometimes replaces the first letter in words I have entered (seemingly for no good reason) with capital letters where there shouldn't be any or - sometimes - converts my I's to i's when I press the following space, the ending dot or similar. Sometimes I catch it and sometimes I don't. I have no idea what causes this idiotic behaviour, either, so it looks like I'll have to carry on posting weird, sloppy looking posts until I get back home. :(

Have any of you ever heard of a similar problem and have an idea what it might be that causes it? :sherlock:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:03:05 PM by Evreka »
August 02, 2013, 06:41:18 PM
Reply #10

ss19

• Administrator
Some friends of mine went out of town for a month and left me 5 of their house plants to take care of.  I warned them that I might not be the best choice for this job as I am terrible with plants and they might not survive in my care, but they (the friends, not the plants) still wanted me to do it, and said they won't mind if those plants die.  Nonetheless, I was really hoping I could keep these plants alive.  Despite my best efforts, however, now a month later, 3 of the 5 have died.  (Where's Neville when you need him? :neville:)  I don't know why I have such a hard time with plants.  If these friends had left me a dog or a cat or both instead, I would have taken very good care of them, but not these plants (not fish either - I can't keep a fish alive to save my life).

My friends are back in town now but I haven't talked to them yet and am now really dreading having to tell them that only 2 of their plants survived.

Have any of you ever heard of a similar problem and have an idea what it might be that causes it? :sherlock:
Sorry, I haven't heard of a similar problem, but it does sound like a very annoying problem to have.

The problem I often have with laptops is that when I use the touchpad to move the cursor over something without clicking on it (sometimes just passing through without even meaning to hover on the link/button or anything), it thinks I've clicked on it.  This happens with different laptops I've used.
August 03, 2013, 08:18:10 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Some friends of mine went out of town for a month and left me 5 of their house plants to take care of.  I warned them that I might not be the best choice for this job as I am terrible with plants and they might not survive in my care, but they (the friends, not the plants) still wanted me to do it, and said they won't mind if those plants die.  Nonetheless, I was really hoping I could keep these plants alive.  Despite my best efforts, however, now a month later, 3 of the 5 have died.  (Where's Neville when you need him? :neville:)  I don't know why I have such a hard time with plants.  If these friends had left me a dog or a cat or both instead, I would have taken very good care of them, but not these plants (not fish either - I can't keep a fish alive to save my life).

My friends are back in town now but I haven't talked to them yet and am now really dreading having to tell them that only 2 of their plants survived.
:bear: :console: ss19, maybe you're seeing this from the wrong end. If your friends had just left the plants in their house for a month, they would all have died for sure. Now you have saved 2 of them, which is all of 40%!  :bravo:  Further, as they - the friends - said, they didn't mind them all dieing, I think there's a good chance they'll see it from this perspective too.   :pawprint:

For another time, here's a tip that often works: Most plants want damp soil, and some light but not direct sunlight. So putting them in a window, but pulling down blinds or something when the sun is shining right at them might be a good idea. A way to check if the soil is damp is to feel it with your bare hand before pouring water on them. If your finger gets wet, wait a day to pour in more water. Of course, these tips do not work on every flower from Flibbertibibbets to Venamous Tentaculas  :fredgeorge: or all possible Muggle plants, it's just a very general tip. Of course orchids want much less water than so and cacti even less than that, so it all depends on the flower.  :flower:

I just returned home and realised that a large set of my once flourishing flowers have waned without me... and while that's a loss, I am happy it isn't all of them.  :neville: 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:20:20 PM by Evreka »
August 07, 2013, 03:53:27 AM
Reply #12

ss19

• Administrator
:bear: :console: ss19, maybe you're seeing this from the wrong end. If your friends had just left the plants in their house for a month, they would all have died for sure. Now you have saved 2 of them, which is all of 40%!  :bravo:  Further, as they - the friends - said, they didn't mind them all dieing, I think there's a good chance they'll see it from this perspective too.   :pawprint:
Thanks, Evreka:bear:  My friend actually said the exact same thing you said when she came by yesterday to pick up the plants.  Anyway, they're some of the nicest people ever so I wasn't worried about their reaction, more just being hard on myself and feeling sad I wasn't able to do better when these are supposedly easy plants.

For another time, here's a tip that often works: Most plants want damp soil, and some light but not direct sunlight. So putting them in a window, but pulling down blinds or something when the sun is shining right at them might be a good idea. A way to check if the soil is damp is to feel it with your bare hand before pouring water on them. If your finger gets wet, wait a day to pour in more water. Of course, these tips do not work on every flower from Flibbertibibbets to Venamous Tentaculas  :fredgeorge: or all possible Muggle plants, it's just a very general tip. Of course orchids want much less water than so and cacti even less than that, so it all depends on the flower.  :flower:
Thank you for the tip.  Now I'm thinking I might have watered the plants too much.  Because these planters have holes on the bottom for excess water to drain, I mistakenly thought it wouldn't be a problem to just give them more water every day without checking the soil.

I just returned home and realised that a large set of my once flourishing flowers have waned without me... and while that's a loss, I am happy it isn't all of them.  :neville:
Sorry to hear that you lost some flowers too.  :console:
August 18, 2013, 12:34:58 AM
Reply #13

Buckbeak 26

This is continued from the wonderful time we had at the baseball game. This is the bad news:

So at about 12:45 am this morning, we got back to the church and the driver went over to the overhang where the bus pulls into (backwards) and started backing the bus up. However as he started to back up the bus, my car was on the left hand side of the bus and as he backed up, he pulled too close to my car, and as he corrected his angle and started pulling forward again, he hit my car on the passenger side denting the front passenger door, the right front tire well, and knocking my side mirror askew. After parking the bus, we exchanged information and now it will be a week or so before we get my car fixed. :(
August 18, 2013, 04:44:24 PM
Reply #14

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
However as he started to back up the bus, my car was on the left hand side of the bus and as he backed up, he pulled too close to my car, and as he corrected his angle and started pulling forward again, he hit my car on the passenger side denting the front passenger door, the right front tire well, and knocking my side mirror askew. After parking the bus, we exchanged information and now it will be a week or so before we get my car fixed. :(
Ouch! What an ending to a great outing!  :console: That wasn't fun. At least you know the driver and he admits it's his fault so I guess the reparation won't cost you anything which at least is something. Still, not fun!

How will you get around while the car is fixed?
August 18, 2013, 06:20:04 PM
Reply #15

ss19

• Administrator
However as he started to back up the bus, my car was on the left hand side of the bus and as he backed up, he pulled too close to my car, and as he corrected his angle and started pulling forward again, he hit my car on the passenger side denting the front passenger door, the right front tire well, and knocking my side mirror askew. After parking the bus, we exchanged information and now it will be a week or so before we get my car fixed. :(

Sorry to hear that, Buckbeak 26. :console:  I can empathize since I've recently just gone through something similar.  In fact, I nearly came in here to vent about it when it happened.  My husband drove my car to his dentist appointment, and got it rear-ended when he slowed down at a traffic light to turn right and the car behind him bumped into my car.  It was the other driver's fault and luckily he took responsibility, so his insurance company covered all the repairs on my car, plus paid for a rental car for me to drive while my car was in the body shop.  Still, it was a lot of hassle and took a lot of time that I didn't have to spare, meeting with insurance adjusters and going back and forth from the repair shop, not to mention making a million phone calls (it seems) to the insurance company to get every little thing approved by them before I could go ahead with the next step in the process.  My car was gone for an entire week and I really missed it, and was so happy to get it back, especially since the body shop that fixed my car gave me a free car wash so it looked so nice and shiny when I picked it up.  Anyway, I remember the process being frustrating (these things usually happen at the worst possible time when you are least able to deal with them).  I hope everything will go smoothly for you, Buckbeak 26, and that you'll get your car back in no time. :console:

I came here today to vent about something else.  I had a very busy week last week, and on Friday night realized that I've lost my Kindle.  I tried to retrace my steps, but I was at so many different places and rushing around all week that I really can't remember for sure where it might be.  Plus it's the weekend so some of the places I've been to (including a couple of different Doctor's appointments) aren't open so I can't call to ask until Monday.  I really hope that some kind person picked up my Kindle and laid it aside for me to claim somewhere, assuming I can figure out where and go back for it.  I've grown to love my Kindle and I won't be able to afford to buy a replacement anytime soon if I can't recover this lost one. :(  The other thing I'm worried about is that my Kindle is registered/linked to my Amazon account, and from the Kindle I can buy eBooks without logging in again (if I remember correctly), so I assume that whoever picked up my Kindle, if they choose to, would be able to go to town and purchase a whole lot of eBooks using my Amazon account.  So far I don't see any new purchases in the account though...
August 18, 2013, 06:53:24 PM
Reply #16

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I came here today to vent about something else.  I had a very busy week last week, and on Friday night realized that I've lost my Kindle.  I tried to retrace my steps, but I was at so many different places and rushing around all week that I really can't remember for sure where it might be.  Plus it's the weekend so some of the places I've been to (including a couple of different Doctor's appointments) aren't open so I can't call to ask until Monday.  I really hope that some kind person picked up my Kindle and laid it aside for me to claim somewhere, assuming I can figure out where and go back for it.  I've grown to love my Kindle and I won't be able to afford to buy a replacement anytime soon if I can't recover this lost one. :(  The other thing I'm worried about is that my Kindle is registered/linked to my Amazon account, and from the Kindle I can buy eBooks without logging in again (if I remember correctly), so I assume that whoever picked up my Kindle, if they choose to, would be able to go to town and purchase a whole lot of eBooks using my Amazon account.  So far I don't see any new purchases in the account though...
Ouch!  :console:  :bear: I hope you will be able to retrieve it, but in the meantime, the safest might be to either change your password to your Kindle email or remove your credit card details from the associated Amazon account - either action should break the connection!

If you remove the card details, (you can always add them back again later), the one-click purchase system goes off for your account, and then no one can purchase new books directly from your Kindle - not you either, of course. But it's easy to get it back again, by adding your details again and tick the box for 1-click purchases. I recently did this myself, even if I had a quite different reason.

However, this way, anyone finding your Kindle can still read your already purchased books on it. If, however, you change the password on the associated email account, the Kindle will no longer be able to login to find which books it contains, and should stop any further downloads to it, at least, although if all your books are already on the Kindle, it won't stop others from reading them, I'm affraid.

If you chose this way, you should be able to change the password in the Kindle later, if you do retrieve it. But perhaps it's safest to learn how you do this on Amazon's help pages.

And hopefully it's just sitting safe on a shelf somewhere waiting for you.  :hug:
August 18, 2013, 07:47:51 PM
Reply #17

ss19

• Administrator
I hope you will be able to retrieve it, but in the meantime, the safest might be to either change your password to your Kindle email or remove your credit card details from the associated Amazon account - either action should break the connection!

Thank you for your advice, Evreka:bear:  That sounds like a good idea to remove my credit card from the Amazon account for now to prevent potential problems.  I'll do that as soon as I finish putting in this reply.

I think I'll leave the Kindle content untouched for now though.  I don't have many books on the Kindle - only one borrowed eBook and two purchased eBooks so far, the rest are free eBooks.  I don't have my name or anything on the Kindle, so I might need to describe what books I have on the Kindle to prove it's mine when I go to claim it, if someone is holding it somewhere.
August 19, 2013, 12:14:10 AM
Reply #18

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Oh Evreka, I am, so sorry that you lost your Kindle. Good advice has come from ss19. Might I add you may just wish to contact Amazon and alert them to the fact that you have lost your Kindle. They might be able to put a hold on the account until you give them notice again. For this very reason I have put my name and address inside my Kindle Cover (an address label). I almost left it somewhere and realized no one would have a way of contacting me, so i figured that would at least help if I did lose it. Keep us posted if you find it!

Now for my frustrations! Computers! I recently had my 9 year old computer just give out on me. I limped along long enough to get my important data off of it but it took forever to do so. I bought a new conputer with Windows 7 on it (Had to order it), had it hooked up and ... the monitor wouldn't work with it! So I had to buy a new monitor (Had to order it) - which didn't have speakers so now my old old speakers are hooked up to it - but at least I have speakers. This whole process took almost 2 weeks. It was agonizing because I couldn't do much work on my laptop - just the basics. I have been out of touch with everyone since. I sure hope I can catch up quickly!

August 19, 2013, 08:47:36 PM
Reply #19

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Welcome back to us, HealerOne:hug:

Oh Evreka, I am, so sorry that you lost your Kindle. Good advice has come from ss19. ...
It's the other way around, actually.  :ginny: ss19's Kindle is in an unknown place, and I was giving the advices...

Now for my frustrations! Computers! I recently had my 9 year old computer just give out on me. I limped along long enough to get my important data off of it but it took forever to do so. I bought a new conputer with Windows 7 on it (Had to order it), had it hooked up and ... the monitor wouldn't work with it! So I had to buy a new monitor (Had to order it) - which didn't have speakers so now my old old speakers are hooked up to it - but at least I have speakers. This whole process took almost 2 weeks. It was agonizing because I couldn't do much work on my laptop - just the basics. I have been out of touch with everyone since. I sure hope I can catch up quickly!
Ouch! That isn't fun at all! I might be close behind you, as my comp is now 7.5 years old (oh no!) and there is sometimes a really strange sound when I put it on. So if I suddenly go away without notice, there is a risk my comp died on me. Of course, I am eager to get a new one before this happens, I just find it so hard to find good ones nowadays. In Sweden there are no more computer shops where the sellers can describe the differences between models! Instead you're left to your own devices, trying to compare two different models, described in completely different terms - I hate it!  :mcgonagall2: But I'll have to move it up on my priority list...