April 25, 2018, 04:15:47 AM

Author Topic: Life's frustrations (or things that anger or upset us)  (Read 3928 times)

August 20, 2013, 05:53:20 AM
Reply #20

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Welcome back to us, HealerOne:hug:

Oh Evreka, I am, so sorry that you lost your Kindle. Good advice has come from ss19. ...
It's the other way around, actually.  :ginny: ss19's Kindle is in an unknown place, and I was giving the advices...

:-[ Oh my I goofed that up! My apologies to both of you! Can I blame it on my old computer? (That was a convenient excuse for awhile!)

As for computer buying -I would recommend that you go on line and see what you can find there about current computers available before going to the stores. You might even be able to order just what you need online.
August 21, 2013, 09:35:45 PM
Reply #21

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Thank you, HealerOne and Evreka.  I'm embarrassed to report that I ended up finding my Kindle inside my house...where I didn't expect it to be, obviously, and didn't look when I thought I checked everywhere...  :ashamed: There are normally only two places in my house where I would put the Kindle, but it turned up somewhere else and I have no clue how it got there (I hope I didn't sleep walk one night and bring it there without knowing it).  Anyway, the important thing is that it's been found, which makes me very happy.  :neville:

I've now put my name and phone number on the Kindle, in case it gets lost for real in the future.  Thanks for the suggestion, HealerOne!

Evreka, I second HealerOne's suggestion about researching your next computer online.
November 16, 2013, 06:34:47 PM
Reply #22

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I ordered a table that can have any height between sitting and standing and moves heightwise with a motor, about a fortnight ago. It should be delivered yesterday - and it was. However.... the thin "table top" itself (ie table minus legs) was broken, and had to be replaced. Luckily, the cavelry of relatives who'd assembled to help me put it together, surprisingly cheerfully decided to drive to the nearest shop from the firm I ordered it at, and switch it for me. It worked wonders but it was decided that we'd wait until this morning to put things together.

This morning we found out that four of the screws were wrong too....  :snapeneville: OK, new turn to the shop - only this time they didn't have the right screws in!!!  >:( >:( >:(

So... now I have a large table top and all the parts for getting the legs in place minus four screws, laying about. I also have all the dislodged things that is supposed to go on the table, once its put together, also laying about. >:( AND... my cavelry who should help me has had two trips to a shop but nothing else to do and I don't know when I next can gather them to get the retched thing together... >:(>:(>:(>:(

I'm in a great mood.... or not.

To round the day off in a good way my Mum ordered goose from a catering firm with all sorts of things to go with it. All should be delivered, and just need some (re)heating. Anyway.... we just discovered that they forgot to send us the sauce... >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

SOME DAYS......
January 02, 2014, 09:54:01 PM
Reply #23

Buckbeak 26

Happy New Year to you all,

I had an incident this morning at the Amtrak( train) station that I wanted to share with all of you. I had a semi-early pick-up this morning to take to the Atlanta Airport and then after dropping them at the airport, I went to the train station. I had a reservation pick-up there going back to Perry Georgia. Instead of having her walk in the rain across the street I picked her up at the door. She told me that she had one more bag to get and it would be a few minutes before she would be back out. I was waiting for her when I was asked to help someone else. This other woman managed to ask me how much I charged.... when two cabbies approached me and told me that I didn't have a permit to park by the doors at the station. When I told them that I had a reservation and was trying to keep her from walking across the street while it was raining outside one cab driver said that, "Because I didn't have a permit that if a police officer saw me there that I would be fined $1,000 and be put in jail, and my van impounded"!

I kept trying to  tell him that I wouldn't have bothered his potential customer as to the fact that I couldn't take her anyway as I had a customer of my own going somewhere else but he wouldn't  listen .

This is my first problem of 2014 and it is just barely begun oh well sorry I had to vent.  :bear: :dedarkmark:
January 05, 2014, 05:41:47 PM
Reply #24

siena

It just goes to show that if you try to get out of your way to be kind to someone, someone else will complain   :(

Hope 2014 will get better from here, Buckbeak26  ;)
January 09, 2014, 05:17:36 AM
Reply #25

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I'm not one to view situations in life negatively but when I received a message on my machine on Sunday evening by the local County Clerk of the 9th District of the Judicial Court to appear as a Juror the next morning at 8 AM - I thought there was no way this situation could be anything but trouble! I called them back and arranged to appear on Tuesday instead. Apparently the printing company that does Jury Summons had a printing snafu which led to this fury of calling people the night before the week they were needed. Only an hour after I talked to someone at the County Clerk's office, another clerk called (They were sounding pretty punchy by then!) and I told them the same thing. They assured me that there was handicapped parking in the Courthouse garage and that it would be fine if I was late. (They were so desperate at that point they obviously didn't care, just as long as they had bodies in the jury room for the judges!)

I was frustrated and furious that I had to do this again! In my 40 some years in this area I have been called to jury duty at least 10 times! Enough was enough! I had only been a juror 2 times and otherwise had wasted my time sitting around the jury room. Besides when I told others how many times I had been called, the inevitable response was: "Gee, I've never been called."; or "I've only had to do that once!" - and these responses were from people that had lived here all their lives! Super maddening! Grumble, grumble!

The next day a process server showed up on my doorstep with the jury summons in hand for the next day! I was paranoid and decided to leave home for the rest of the day in case a cop showed up next to haul me off to the courthouse!

Tuesday came and I grumbled and mumbled all the way downtown and through the courthouse garage looking for a handicapped parking spot. After driving all the way to the top and back down I finally found at least a close-to-the-elevator spot on the 6th floor. Of course when I entered the courthouse the security line was long and they took their time searching my purse in order to take out a tiny, tiny pair of sewing scissors - seriously it was about 1.5 inches long with one broken side and blunt ends!!!!! How they thought that was a weapon is beyond me! Grumble ...

I continued to grumble and generally not enjoy the other 200 to 300 people with the same story of getting called as I had. We were captives in the jury room! A hundred or so were picked to go up to the courtrooms and be examined by lawyers to be on a jury but my number wasn't called. Late in the morning I decided to reward myself for being there and indulge in a pastry. As I went in the line, I started up a conversation with two of my fellow jurors. One was a nice lady who worked in the construction business and the other was an older gentleman who had worked all over the country in all sorts of jobs. We sat down at one of the tables and started talking.  They asked me about what I did and I shared that I was a retired Physical Therapist but that I now was doing writing. Well the eyes of that man - Phil - almost bugged out of his head! He is currently working at a small college in Lakeland which is about an hour and a half drive from Orlando. As the only staff member who had any published works, he had been tapped to do a Writing Composition class. He, on the spot, asked me if I would be willing to be a guest speaker! Talk about serendipity! We exchanged cards and he promised to email me! A negative situation was turned positive in the 'drop of a hat'!

I never did get picked to for a jury although I thought for sure that afternoon I would be... As I was leaving I bumped into Phil again and he promised to get in touch with me. I guess the moral of the story is that I was supposed to be there in order to make that connection with Phil! So I guess when these type of situations arise you should stop your grumbling and look for the silver lining!
January 09, 2014, 07:12:55 PM
Reply #26

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I'm not one to view situations in life negatively but when I received a message on my machine on Sunday evening by the local County Clerk of the 9th District of the Judicial Court to appear as a Juror the next morning at 8 AM - I thought there was no way this situation could be anything but trouble! ...
Ouch! It is never nice to get late, last-minute calls for anything, but this seems pretty strange! what do all the non-retired persons do? Can you just drop your normal job, without any kind of forewarning and go to jury duties? We don't have juries made up of normal citizens in my country so the whole process is unknown to me. What would a person with clients do? Can a class be cancelled because the teacher got into a jury?

Of course when I entered the courthouse the security line was long and they took their time searching my purse in order to take out a tiny, tiny pair of sewing scissors - seriously it was about 1.5 inches long with one broken side and blunt ends!!!!! How they thought that was a weapon is beyond me! Grumble ... ...
I guess the problem was that it showed up on a metal detector and they had to remove it to be sure it wasn't a "scapegoat" for a hidden gun or bomb or something....  :madeye:

I continued to grumble and generally not enjoy the other 200 to 300 people with the same story of getting called as I had. We were captives in the jury room! A hundred or so were picked to go up to the courtrooms and be examined by lawyers to be on a jury but my number wasn't called. Late in the morning I decided to reward myself for being there and indulge in a pastry. As I went in the line, I started up a conversation with two of my fellow jurors. One was a nice lady who worked in the construction business and the other was an older gentleman who had worked all over the country in all sorts of jobs. We sat down at one of the tables and started talking.  They asked me about what I did and I shared that I was a retired Physical Therapist but that I now was doing writing. Well the eyes of that man - Phil - almost bugged out of his head! He is currently working at a small college in Lakeland which is about an hour and a half drive from Orlando. As the only staff member who had any published works, he had been tapped to do a Writing Composition class. He, on the spot, asked me if I would be willing to be a guest speaker! Talk about serendipity! We exchanged cards and he promised to email me! A negative situation was turned positive in the 'drop of a hat'! ....
Oh, I love this ending!  :hearts: After all that understandable grumble, the sun came out!   :hug: It's great when bad situations suddenly flip and something good comes out of it!

I hope Phil gets back to you and that the speak turns out to be great!
April 12, 2014, 04:30:29 AM
Reply #27

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
At roughly half past four this night, I heard something that slowly registered in my sleeping brain: Upset/raised voices, coming from outside! As I gradually woke and my brain started to come out of its sleepy state, I began to wonder if something had happened and I consciously tried to hear words - which was impossible. After some time of this the voices stopped and by the time I got up to look all seemed well. So, assuming it was a chit-chat of some form, why would anyone not consider their sleeping neighbours at 4.30 AM a Saturday?! They must have woken the whole area!  >:(

April 12, 2014, 11:21:39 AM
Reply #28

Buckbeak 26

Evreka,

Was this at an apartment building or was it at a hotel you were staying at? My dad had a secretary when he worked in Lexington Mass, that lives in a highrise apartment. One of her neighbors has an adult son with severe autism and he constantly yells and argues with the poor woman when he comes to visit. And this secretary hears all this from her apartment.
April 12, 2014, 12:11:43 PM
Reply #29

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Evreka,

Was this at an apartment building or was it at a hotel you were staying at?
I'm home, and this is usually a quiet neighbourhood.
April 12, 2014, 01:56:31 PM
Reply #30

siena

I can totally relate, Evreka - noise pollution in your home environment is something extremely annoying. Some human beings are so inconsiderate, it's unbelievable - it's the attitude behind it that's so incomprehensibe: noisy people seem to put their needs before anybody else's   :furious:

Evreka,

My dad had a secretary when he worked in Lexington Mass, that lives in a highrise apartment. One of her neighbors has an adult son with severe autism and he constantly yells and argues with the poor woman when he comes to visit. And this secretary hears all this from her apartment.

Okay, I would make some allowances for disabled people - but if it gets out of hand, a solution needs to be found. Has the secretary tried talking to the woman about it ?
April 15, 2014, 01:53:17 PM
Reply #31

Buckbeak 26

Evreka,

My dad had a secretary when he worked in Lexington Mass, that lives in a highrise apartment. One of her neighbors has an adult son with severe autism and he constantly yells and argues with the poor woman when he comes to visit. And this secretary hears all this from her apartment.

Okay, I would make some allowances for disabled people - but if it gets out of hand, a solution needs to be found. Has the secretary tried talking to the woman about it ?

Siena,

Sorry to have waited so long to answer you. I don't know if the secretary ever talked to the mother, but this was a story that my dad told me a few years back.  That was over 20 years ago so I don't know if the situation changed.

:what: :ashamed:

On a change of subject,

This last month has been very strange. One month ago my boss had to quit and turn the company over to someone else. All ten of us employees have been in a state of flux as it were trying to adjust to the situation. Sunday evening I was up at the airport waiting on a passenger to land at 9:30 . I waited over an hour and he never showed up. I lost  one walk-on as she was getting impatient having to wait, and almost lost 2 more! I finally got a call through to my new supervisor about 11:00 ( I know not a good time to call someone but I didn't know what else to do). She told me to start back and I took the two walk-ons with me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:02:34 PM by Buckbeak 26 »
May 01, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
Reply #32

Buckbeak 26

Well, more bad news.

I had done really well this month with 8 walk-ons and the last day I worked was Monday. I am really disappointed that in the  last few years I have not made the cut at all. Hopefully that will change soon. :furious: :o :devil: :thumbdown:
August 20, 2014, 10:55:47 PM
Reply #33

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The posts about the hijacked email address and Facebook account has been moved to the brand new thread for Computer, and related, issues: Digital Disasters, Computer Confusions or Nerd Knowledge Needed?

I wonder what day I will remember in the morning that I need to type up which printer cartridge is supposed to not work in the printer, so I can remember to buy a new one of the right sort that day.... This has been something I should do the last 3 weeks or so....  :headbang: And in the meantime I can't print anything at all.  :(  Which is quite frustrating...  >:(
September 02, 2014, 04:38:09 PM
Reply #34

Buckbeak 26

Last evening about 4:15 my house phone rang and it was my old boss giving me a run today for 5:00 am but that I could come get a van so I could sleep in  a little. After having a wonderful belated birthday dinner, with a good friend of mine, I headed to Byron Georgia to pick-up my van.

However when I got there, the van I was issued was out on a run, and would not be back until 10:00 Pm last night. So it being too late for me I now have to finish typing this then go and prep early so that I won't be late. It is really unfair to tell me to come get a van and because one can't be driven because of an alternator problem and they can't work around my schedule. If the van isn't there then why have me come?

11:35 AM  I just finished my run and breakfast and ended up with one walk-on but wish I didn't have to get up so early. :( :train: :tardis:
September 02, 2014, 06:26:28 PM
Reply #35

siena

Was it your birthday dinner or your friend's , Buckbeak ?

I'm not too sure, but I guess it was yours (?) so I would like to wish you a happy belated birthday  :flower:

I'm glad you had a nice time - meeting up with old friends is always great. There are these people you can always catch up with, no matter how long you haven't been in contact...

Could I ask you what you had for dinner ... ?

But on a less happy note - I do gather from your post that your job seems to be extremely stressful, and your different bosses don't seem to be very reliable or responsible ... I do know these are tough times but there should still be guidelines about how far they can go ... I don't understand much about the transport business generally and taxi companies particularly, but it seems to me that employers should be reliable about schedules. Emergencies always happen, but in that case, you should have been contacted that the van wasn't available to pick up at the arranged time  :what:
September 02, 2014, 08:59:57 PM
Reply #36

Buckbeak 26

Siena,

It was my birthday, because my friend went on a trip a week ago and he and I couldn't set it around my birthday.

In fact when I asked my boss's father if I could take another van the one that had the bad alternator was there and was going to be taken in today to be fixed he said that he was sorry, but that the others were being used to do other runs after mine this morning could not be used. At times my job is stressful but other times it can be rewarding.
September 22, 2014, 09:58:26 PM
Reply #37

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Sometimes life has a tendency to really get complicated. And sure, it can become a LOT worse than this, but when I summed up my upcomming Thursday I got to the point where you can only laugh at the mess.

A couple of weeks ago, I got a future appointment for a health check, which was written down on a piece of paper and put in my bag so I could enter the date and time in my work calendar. Then it just vannished, without me noticing it!  :o Some time ago (more recent), I had to cancel and move my dentist appointment due to a lately arranged appointment at work that I had to attend. The dentist wanted me to come later in the same week as I should have been there, which was impossible for me. After some search for a date that worked I ended up getting the appointment at 8.30 AM on Thursday. So far so good... Except that it's to fix a hole and I fear having to sit at work all day feeling like I can't talk, ...  :( But at least it is close to my work. In the afternoon, I have a regularly reoccuring meeting at work, so I'd just have to hope I can speak normally once more at 1 PM at least! Still, it could be worse... So, right, time to improve the day... :devil:

Yesterday, I got another appointment that I've been trying to set up for a long time, by mail, which of all dates, has been scheduled to 4 PM on Thursday in a completely different part of town. So, if the first meeting ends when it should, and the communications work as they should, I will just have time to attend this appointment after.  :-\ Or, more likely, I'll have to cut the meeting short... Still, it can be done with some tweaking... So... time for more improvements...  :devil:

Today my Vannished note for the health check turns up, and I didn't believe my eyes: Thursday
25 September at 8.30 AM in the same part of town as the meeting at 4 PM!!!  :headbang: Sometimes....  :devil: What was the chance for this mess?  :(

For obvious reasons I'll have to choose between the dentist and the health check; and seeing as I'd already moved the dentist appointment, I guess it's time to move the health check instead...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:03:24 PM by Evreka »
September 24, 2014, 07:37:56 PM
Reply #38

BillieMac

Yep, I've had days like that, Evreka. Personally, I'd ditch the meeting and have someone record it for me, but that's just me.
Best of luck getting this mess straightened out.  :console:
September 24, 2014, 07:52:30 PM
Reply #39

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Yep, I've had days like that, Evreka. Personally, I'd ditch the meeting and have someone record it for me, but that's just me.
Best of luck getting this mess straightened out.  :console:
Thanks, BillieMac!

I actually got really lucky because I managed to reschedule my dentist appointment to yesterday afternoon, so now I have a just about managable day tommorrow. Granted it's going to be a lot of travels; but at least it's doable. :)  :whew: