October 17, 2018, 03:41:05 PM

Author Topic: Are you game enough to ask a question to the Mods?  (Read 3702 times)

June 26, 2014, 10:48:57 PM
Reply #20

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
BillieMac's comment refer to this:

Does it have any kind of awareness?

Is it one or more of the house point hour-glasses?
Congratulation, roonwit! Well done!
17) No, it is not part of the castle structure.
The evidence as I interpret it is that they are.
:what: In my interpretation of "part of the castle structure" I assumed you meant things that are part of the castle itself and can not be moved, without demolishing Hogwarts. Examples: parts of walls, trick steps, wardrobe areas, Court yards, doorways, the enchanted ceiling of the Great Hall, the rafters that support it, fireplaces, a Tower.... and so forth. While the hour glasses are never moved (presumably) and certainly belongs to Hogwarts, I don't think it is part of the structure. They're made of glass and possibly metal, not stone.

Possibly this is a misunderstanding due to English not being my first language?  :crabbegoyle: What does "castle structure" mean to the rest of you???  :-\

And my only comment is that I'd like to know how more than one person interprets this? What does "castle structure" mean to the rest of you???  :-\

ETA: I put this question to some of my native English speaking friends on DS in a private chat, and the examples they gave includes:

Structure are things that were part of the construction. they are meant to be permanent, something that the building relies on for its existence. Such as walls, floors, ceilings, stairs, etc.  Whereas the hour glasses are more like furniture or equipment, they are there to track the house points system, not to support the castle itself (ie the building).

Obviously it can be interpreted in different ways, but for now I am inclined to just stand by my interpretation. *shrug*
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:04:29 PM by Evreka »
July 05, 2014, 05:15:56 PM
Reply #21

siena

I came across this definition of building structure:

The structural members of a building that support the building loads and on which the loads of crane or monorail equipment and the material to be moved will be imposed.

The thing is that we don't know for sure whether the hourglasses support the building itself. I would be inclined to say that they don't, although they are arguably very big and heavy, and are not supposed to be moved.

According to the definition above, a dishwasher, even if built in, could be removed and therefore doesn't support the building itself. But still - BillieMac may be right in saying that for the estate market a dishwasher would be considered part of the building. Maybe the difference is in the phrasing: part of the building versus building structure   ???
August 31, 2014, 11:07:16 AM
Reply #22

siena

Do we see it cast?
I think you missed my question to your game.

And a new one: Do we know its incantation?

I'm sorry I think I just complicated things  ???

I guess - for some reason - we thought that the thing must be mentioned in DH, although, when reading through your answers, there is no indication whatsoever that this is the case.
Well, these things happen. No problem. :)
20) Yes, it is mentioned [a good deal] before the trio enters into the shrieking shack in DH.

This is a cunning interpretation  :P - you had a choice to answer Yes, it is obviously mentioned (way before, years before really   ;)) the trio enters the Shrieking Shack in DH.

I suppose you could have answered No (it is not mentioned in DH at all of course  ;) )

But I do respect your choice, the way we answer/ask/interpret questions is what makes the game so fascinating  8)

I am thinking of ... a Spell.

I'm thinking of a thing....  :hmm:

1) Yes, it is magical.
2) Yes, it is owned by someone specific.
3) No, the owner is not male.
4) No, this thing is not used at any time during the first three books.
5) Yes, it is used.
6) Yes, we do see the person who owns this thing.
7) No, this thing is not seen.
8 ) No, it is not used in books 4 or 5.
9) No, the owner is not a student.
10) No, it is not used in book 6.
11) Yes, it is bigger than a Quaffle.
12) Yes, it is mentioned at Hogwarts.
13) No, it is not mentioned by any of the trio.
14) Yes, it is mentioned out loud.
15) Yes, the owner is a Hogwarts teacher.
16) Well, I may well be wrong, but I don't think it is explicitly stated which side the owner is on? However, we can make the assumption that they are on the good side.
17) No, Sybill does not own it.
18) No, McGonagall does not own it.  (See 16)
19) No, it is not owned by Pomona Sprout
20) Yes, it is mentioned [a good deal] before the trio enters into the shrieking shack in DH.

Hint:
Oh dear, I seem to have a knack for choosing things that are used in uncommon ways....  ::) I think you are once again being deceived by what you think you know, as opposed to what you really know....

21) No, it does not belong to any of Professor Vector or Professor Sinistra or Professor Grubbly-Plank.
22) Yes, it is a kind of broomstick.
23) No, it is not owned by Charity Burbage.

I dare say Professor Sprout is on the good side - she immediately agrees with McGonagall to try and hold off Voldemort as long as possible in DH ..
So
Do we see it cast?

This is a cunning interpretation  :P - you had a choice to answer Yes, it is obviously mentioned (way before, years before really   ;)) the trio enters the Shrieking Shack in DH.

I suppose you could have answered No (it is not mentioned in DH at all of course  ;) )
:what: I don't understand your comment, I'm affraid.

Ah, wait.... I read the question : "is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack ( speaking of DH) ?" As being really:

"is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack ( Oh! And please note that I mean the Shrieking Schack scene in DH) ?" Not as: "is it, within DH, mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack?"

And then, since we know it is mentioned, a NO would have meant it had to be mentioned in DH, in one of the last few chapters from the moment the trio entered the Shrieking Schack. That's the only time in the HP series that is NOT before the breakpoint indicated.

So it was a YES, and I made sure to include the bolded part to give a hint that you were, actually, not even in the right book. *shrug*

would I. :)

I didn't want to over-complicate things in the 20 questions thread, so I just brushed things off.

However, I do feel I had a point about the way Evreka answered the DH content question ... what do think?

P.S. I just wanted to add that I didn't mean to say Evreka's reasoning is wrong - I am just a bit confused  ???
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:29:37 PM by siena »
September 01, 2014, 04:38:44 AM
Reply #23

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator

But I do respect your choice, the way we answer/ask/interpret questions is what makes the game so fascinating  8)

I didn't want to over-complicate things in the 20 questions thread, so I just brushed things off.

However, I do feel I had a point about the way Evreka answered the DH content question ... what do think?

P.S. I just wanted to add that I didn't mean to say Evreka's reasoning is wrong - I am just a bit confused  ???

Hmm.  I agree with siena that the way Evreka answered #20 was confusing...or I would personally say misleading.   I think most of us would have answered that question with a 'No' if it's not mentioned in DH at all.  A question like that usually means we've narrowed the thing down to one book, and wish to determine whether it's before or after the particular event within that book.

5) Yes, it is used.

I think the confusion actually started with Question #5.  Usually if we're asking whether a thing is used, we mean whether it is used in one of the books.  Evreka answered the question with a "Yes" when the thing isn't used in any of the books, which is why everyone came to the conclusion that the thing must be used in DH if it isn't used in any of Books 1 through 6.  But in fact the thing was only mentioned, not seen or used in the 7 books.  In my opinion the answer to Question #5 should have been "No", which would have prevented the confusion with the Shrieking Shack question later also.

All of that said, I don't think it's a big deal that Evreka gave these confusing answers (confusing for some of us, at least).  She did give us plenty of other clues in her other answers to alert us that something tricky's going on.  Anyway, I second what siena said in the first of her quotes I've included above, that the game is more fascinating when we factor in everyone's different ways of interpreting the questions and answers.  8)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:55:34 AM by ss19 »
September 01, 2014, 09:51:02 PM
Reply #24

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
5) Yes, it is used.
I think the confusion actually started with Question #5.  Usually if we're asking whether a thing is used, we mean whether it is used in one of the books.  Evreka answered the question with a "Yes" when the thing isn't used in any of the books, which is why everyone came to the conclusion that the thing must be used in DH if it isn't used in any of Books 1 through 6.  But in fact the thing was only mentioned, not seen or used in the 7 books.  In my opinion the answer to Question #5 should have been "No", which would have prevented the confusion with the Shrieking Shack question later also.
Hm...  :hmm: Put like that, I can see how my choice of answering really wasn't a good idea.  :( Sorry 'bout tha'.... But when I replied to it, I was thinking that we were explicitly told that it was (had been) used. So that's where the reply came from. But as I said, point taken. That probably wasn't a very good choice. 

Hmm.  I agree with siena that the way Evreka answered #20 was confusing...or I would personally say misleading.   I think most of us would have answered that question with a 'No' if it's not mentioned in DH at all.  A question like that usually means we've narrowed the thing down to one book, and wish to determine whether it's before or after the particular event within that book.
Yes, but in this case I didn't read it thus, for the following reasons:

1) This was a question from Eva Hedwig:
ups    :ashamed:

is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack ( speaking of DH) ?

In November last year, I had the following exchange with Eva Hedwig:
3. Its not seen in more than one book.
4. Its not seen in one or more of the first three book.
is it seen before the trio enters into the Shrieking Shack ?
Pst, Take a look at 4) and 3).
( I checked Q 3 +4, I think I am not misleaded.   It´s a thing we are looking for in DH, and the Shrieking Shack is part of the story in DH also )
As I remembered this, I assumed Eva Hedwig did so too, and given that the DH part was given in a parenthesis I interpreted the question (as already stated) thus:

.... I read the question : "is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack ( speaking of DH) ?" As being really:

"is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack ( Oh! And please note that I mean the Shrieking Schack scene in DH) ?" Not as: "is it, within DH, mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack?"

And then, since we know it is mentioned, a NO would have meant it had to be mentioned in DH, in one of the last few chapters from the moment the trio entered the Shrieking Schack. That's the only time in the HP series that is NOT before the breakpoint indicated.

So it was a YES, and I made sure to include the bolded part to give a hint that you were, actually, not even in the right book. *shrug*

2) DH is only mentioned in a parethesis:
But with the old conversation in mind, the fact that DH was only in the parenthesis meant I didn't read it as part of the question, more as a help to specify it further. Compare with questions such as: "
Do we know its name? (Like Scabbers, Crookshanks, Trevor)? "
If someone is thinking of Binky it would still be a yes, even if Binky isn't listed in the added paranthesis, and so I thinnk would all of you read it as well. This is no different.

"is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack in DH ?" Would have been answered with a NO the way you suggest. Further, I didn't just say "Yes, it is" I made quite clear that the yes was happening a good deal earlier, which ought to rule DH out completely as we see very little of Hogwarts in DH, and we knew it was mentioned at Hogwarts.
September 01, 2014, 10:11:45 PM
Reply #25

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator

"is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack in DH ?" Would have been answered with a NO the way you suggest. Further, I didn't just say "Yes, it is" I made quite clear that the yes was happening a good deal earlier, which ought to rule DH out completely as we see very little of Hogwarts in DH, and we knew it was mentioned at Hogwarts.

Thank you for your explanation, Evreka.  It's funny that when I first saw your answer to Question #20, I misinterpreted a good deal to mean that it was mentioned many times in DH before the Shrieking Shack.  Talk about how easy it is to come up with a different interpretation than was intended by the comment's author!  ;D

And, we do know it was mentioned in Hogwarts, but we don't know whether it was also mentioned somewhere else, as we never narrowed it down to being mentioned only once.
September 02, 2014, 01:44:31 PM
Reply #26

siena

As for the Is it used question - I can understand where you are coming from.In PoA,  Madam Hooch clearly talks about having used the broom at some point in her life. Although of course she didn't use it in that book. This is tricky really.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:52:43 PM by ss19 »
September 03, 2014, 07:03:13 PM
Reply #27

siena

I am a little bit confused to be honest. I don't really understand your reasoning behind your confusion about the DH question, Evreka

The question was: is it mentioned before the trio enters into the shrieking shack ( speaking of DH) ? by EvaHedwig.

Your answer, Evreka, was 20) Yes, it is mentioned [a good deal] before the trio enters into the shrieking shack in DH.

So I reasoned that you thought that: This is a cunning interpretation  - you had a choice to answer Yes, it is obviously mentioned (way before, years before really   ) the trio enters the Shrieking Shack in DH.

I suppose you could have answered No (it is not mentioned in DH at all of course  )

But I do respect your choice, the way we answer/ask/interpret questions is what makes the game so fascinating 

So you obviously chose reasoning 1: Yes, it was obviously mentioned years before the trio enters the Shrieking Shack ...

I am being perfectly honest here: I do not understand why you are confused about me raising concerns and secondly, I do NOT UNDERSTAND at all, why the Moderators decided to side with you (eg decided to remove my post).I had - and have -perfectly good reasoning behind my post, and should be allowed to raise concerns at any time.
September 03, 2014, 09:16:23 PM
Reply #28

Rudius Hagrid

• Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
    • The Discussion Station
I think this argument has started to become circular and does not serve any real purpose but to make people upset.

I am reminded of the time my father was invited to dinner at some new acquaintances and in an attempt to complement his hostess called her 'homely'.  Now South Africans understand the word to mean one who is an excellent hostess, who's house is in order and well decorated.  Americans understand the word to mean  one is so awfully ugly they have to stay at home for fear of scaring dogs and small children.  Naturally the lady of the house was extremely unimpressed and it took a lot of fast talking (from behind a couch I would suppose) to calm the atmosphere.

Let us accept that in this regard there was a culture difference in the choice of words used which adds an extra dimension of challenge to the game and leave it at that.

The moderators make the best call they can make after looking at the issue and I believe they have done so in this regard.  I do not think it appropriate to use this as a forum to discuss whether one agrees with their decisions; I would suggest that if anyone wants to discuss the matter further they can PM me or even skype me (rudius.hagrid). 

The 20Q thread itself has moved on; being on Question # 12 already as I type this - and so should we all.  The more time we spend arguing on this the less time we spend guessing what the ... thing is.
:hagrid: Welcome to the Discussion Station!! :hagrid:
September 03, 2014, 10:01:26 PM
Reply #29

BillieMac

How about a Doctor Who edition of 20 Questions? We have 50 years of people, places and things to choose from, after all. (And maybe the people category could include the option of character or actor.) I would also like a rule excluding the Extended Universe- i.e. books and audios.