January 21, 2018, 06:44:40 PM

Author Topic: chapter 13: Not at Home  (Read 621 times)

May 19, 2013, 12:48:30 AM

merrythought

chapter 13
Not At Home

Their entry point to the Mountain blocked by rockslide, Thorin’s company has no choice but to move forward, toward Smaug’s lair; and, as we have come to expect, Bilbo checks out the situation while the dwarves remain behind.  Although apprehensive, Bilbo finds Smaug has taken flight, so he proceeds to explore the treasure-filled hall.  He comes upon the beautiful Arkenstone, deciding to keep this discovery to himself, at least for now.

Bilbo becomes frightened by wings which brush his face in the dark; his call for help reaches the dwarves’ ears.  When the company arrives and catches sight of the riches, each dwarf loads up with whatever he can carry.  Thorin presents Bilbo with a fantastic silver coat of mail.  The dwarves appear to have forgotten the danger of being found by Smaug, but Bilbo reminds them; consequently, Thorin leads the group to the Front Gate, from which they can view the town of Dale.  With Smaug still on their minds, they follow Balin to a look-out point where they can finally rest and keep watch for the return of the dragon.

• What are the different attitudes of the dwarves and Bilbo toward exploring? How do Bilbo’s explorations change him as a hobbit? *
  • Generally, Bilbo doesn’t seem to be very interested in treasure and wealth; so why does he choose to keep the discovery of the Arkenstone to himself?
  • How would you characterize the dwarves’ loyalty toward Bilbo? His loyalty toward the dwarves? *

* Questions found at  http://www.shmoop.com/hobbit/

May 25, 2013, 01:11:56 PM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
So, finally, they start to explore the treasure - what a relief to find the dragon out! I find it very surprising that Bilbo chooses to pick up the Arkenstone and keep it to himself!  :surprised: If the dwarves knew that he took it for himself, they might not think the "thing to wear" that they give him would be a small token of what is to come.  :mcgonagall2: He is even dubious himself if it is ok for him to choose the Arkenstone - so why take it?

Of course if the dragon returns it will be a thoughtful plan to bring it with him out of the treasure trove, but why hide the fact that he took it? What do you guys make of this surprising move of his?

It's a bit odd that they are not more worried of the dragon returning home, than they are. I understand why the dwarves loves to stay and explore or re-explore treasures lost long ago, but once they leave the treasure room they have nowhere to hide when or if Smaug comes back... In fact they are in relative security only after a 5 hour long walk after they come out. A good thing they are much less worried than I am!  :fredgeorge:
June 08, 2013, 04:10:30 PM
Reply #2

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
So, finally, they start to explore the treasure - what a relief to find the dragon out! I find it very surprising that Bilbo chooses to pick up the Arkenstone and keep it to himself!  :surprised: If the dwarves knew that he took it for himself, they might not think the "thing to wear" that they give him would be a small token of what is to come.  :mcgonagall2: He is even dubious himself if it is ok for him to choose the Arkenstone - so why take it?

Of course if the dragon returns it will be a thoughtful plan to bring it with him out of the treasure trove, but why hide the fact that he took it? What do you guys make of this surprising move of his?

I was surprised by Bilbo taking and hiding the Arkenstone too.  He did have past record of doing such a thing when he found and kept the ring even after he found out that Gollum had lost the ring and was looking for it.  However, taking something that belongs to a stranger who wants to eat you for lunch is quite different from taking something that belongs to your friends or colleagues.  It definitely felt much more sneaky and wrong this time, hiding the Arkenstone from the dwarves.

The only explanation I can think of is that maybe what makes the Arkenstone so valuable in the first place, its incomparable beauty, is just mesmerizing and somehow made it irresistible to Bilbo.

It's a bit odd that they are not more worried of the dragon returning home, than they are. I understand why the dwarves loves to stay and explore or re-explore treasures lost long ago, but once they leave the treasure room they have nowhere to hide when or if Smaug comes back... In fact they are in relative security only after a 5 hour long walk after they come out. A good thing they are much less worried than I am!  :fredgeorge:

I know!  I was very scared for them too!  If the dragon were to come back, they are basically trapped and defenseless and would become dragon snack in a heartbeat.
June 09, 2013, 05:31:32 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I find it very surprising that Bilbo chooses to pick up the Arkenstone and keep it to himself!  :surprised: ... He is even dubious himself if it is ok for him to choose the Arkenstone - so why take it?
I was surprised by Bilbo taking and hiding the Arkenstone too.  He did have past record of doing such a thing when he found and kept the ring even after he found out that Gollum had lost the ring and was looking for it.  However, taking something that belongs to a stranger who wants to eat you for lunch is quite different from taking something that belongs to your friends or colleagues.  It definitely felt much more sneaky and wrong this time, hiding the Arkenstone from the dwarves.

The only explanation I can think of is that maybe what makes the Arkenstone so valuable in the first place, its incomparable beauty, is just mesmerizing and somehow made it irresistible to Bilbo.
Aaah, yes, you're right. One can say that he did the same with the ring, although those circumstances were entirely different. And I guess the dwarves did hire a thief, so... they can't really complain, can they...  :P But it still feels very sneaky and very disloyal.

Interesting suggestion, that the Arkenstone can "ensnare your senses" ( :ginny: ) by its perfect beauty so it make you feel justified to hide it from your friends... And yet it was made of dwarves and not of any dark magic... I guess it could be.