January 22, 2018, 10:24:12 PM

Author Topic: Doctor Who No. 12 – Who will it be?  (Read 2204 times)

June 03, 2013, 08:44:08 PM

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
We have another regeneration to look forward to, and already all kinds of suggestions and bets are swarming around about who the next actor will be. Even actresses are being mentioned.

So what rumours have you heard?
Which actor would you love to see take on the role?

June 04, 2013, 08:05:35 AM
Reply #1

varza

• Varzaland
I was talking this over with some friends yesterday... I don't like a lot of the people they are mentioning. They are too well known to really disappear into the Doctor. That was one of the problems I had with Eccelston. I know that Helen Mirren is desperate to play the Doctor but she may be a bit... much? Course my husband loves the idea of her because hello!

I would love to see a ginger (he always wanted to be a ginger)... go a bit older (Smith was 25 when he started any younger would be a bit ridiculous to me) and why not go female.

Of course, I think it would be hilarious if he turned into Rory - because he misses him so much (kinda like a patronus) without knowing he misses him.
I am everywhere....
June 04, 2013, 10:46:20 AM
Reply #2

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
I'm a fan of many Doctor Who pages on Facebook, and lots are saying Ben Daniels has already been signed.

I would love Hugh Laurie.
June 04, 2013, 05:48:33 PM
Reply #3

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I haven't really looked throw all the names that have been put out there. But yes, I to think that a lesser known actor would be best. Not only is it good to have an "unknown" face as you say, varza, but also DrWho has become a great stepping stone for new actors, why not keep it that way?

As for a woman – It could be fun. But I think they'd be changing too many parameters than is wise. They've lost depth over after Tennant left (change of writing style etc.), then we'd shake up the Dr. vs. companion relationship, which either means we'd have two women, which brings in utterly new dynamics or they have to lose Claire along with Matt which makes for another big shake up.

June 04, 2013, 09:25:39 PM
Reply #4

roonwit

I haven't really looked throw all the names that have been put out there. But yes, I to think that a lesser known actor would be best. Not only is it good to have an "unknown" face as you say, varza, but also DrWho has become a great stepping stone for new actors, why not keep it that way?
I would expect a lesser known actor or actress; someone who has shown his or her talent on TV (perhaps even a bit part in Doctor Who) or in a film but isn't known for a particular role.
As for a woman – It could be fun. But I think they'd be changing too many parameters than is wise. They've lost depth over after Tennant left (change of writing style etc.), then we'd shake up the Dr. vs. companion relationship, which either means we'd have two women, which brings in utterly new dynamics or they have to lose Claire along with Matt which makes for another big shake up.
It might work but I agree it is a difficulty. It might work if Jenna were to become the new Doctor - this sort of character switching has been done before as the Master stole someone else's body in the original run, and Romana regenerated to look like a previous character. However they would have to get rid of Clara somehow, because they couldn't be the same actress. In any case they may need some sort of unusual regeneration as the Doctor is running out of them according to the traditional count.
June 04, 2013, 09:40:30 PM
Reply #5

Marielle

There are lots of rumours, too many for my tastes, I have the feeling someone is purposely filing the rumours mill! We will know soon enough I guess.

So true atschpe about what happen when Tennant left. *sigh* I just hope the next one is better than Matt Smitt, who ever it is!

As for the new Dr being a woman....I really don't know. And I am really torn, because the only reason I can think of why it can't be a woman is because a woman Dr with a bow tie would look silly. The Dr has to wear a bow tie!  :)

And yes I agree Maraudingdon, Hugh Laurie would be awesome! :D
June 04, 2013, 10:13:27 PM
Reply #6

roonwit

There are lots of rumours, too many for my tastes, I have the feeling someone is purposely filing the rumours mill!
I think rumours are inevitable, and they will mostly be about people who have expressed an interest in being the Doctor (almost a disqualification if they are famous enough for their opinion to be reported), or about someone who the press would like to be the Doctor, though not necessarily for reasons of acting suitability. I doubt we will be able to work it out until it is announced or someone is spotted filming.
As for the new Dr being a woman....I really don't know. And I am really torn, because the only reason I can think of why it can't be a woman is because a woman Dr with a bow tie would look silly. The Dr has to wear a bow tie!
I suspect bow ties are out in any case as the new actor or actress will want to put their own distinctive spin on the Doctor and bow ties are too much associated with Matt's Doctor. You are perhaps more likely to get a bow tie (or some more feminine variation of it) on a female Doctor to give extra continuity to balance out the change of sex.
June 05, 2013, 01:22:06 AM
Reply #7

Marielle

True all had their distinctive clothing style and accessories! Somehow the bow tie is the only thing I think I really love about that Dr. LOL :)
June 05, 2013, 07:08:07 PM
Reply #8

BillieMac

This is the first I've heard about Smith leaving. When was this decision made?

As to possibilities for #12, I think they should finally go ginger. Barring that, how about - Harry Melling?
He is Patrick Troughton's grandson, after all, and it would be nice to have some old family ties.
June 06, 2013, 07:19:29 AM
Reply #9

varza

• Varzaland
I'm a fan of many Doctor Who pages on Facebook, and lots are saying Ben Daniels has already been signed.

I would love Hugh Laurie.
I haven't seen anything but I know he is the forerunner at the bookies... he could work. He is a ginger.

This is the first I've heard about Smith leaving. When was this decision made?
BillieMac - it was announced over the weekend. Which came as a shock to many because it had previously been stated that Smith would be on for at least another season. We had a con here this weekend with a lot of Doctor Who stuff going on - so it was insane when it was announced. But cool because Colin Baker was here and talked about it.

True all had their distinctive clothing style and accessories! Somehow the bow tie is the only thing I think I really love about that Dr. LOL :)
As long as they don't start with that insane ? everywhere making the Doctor look like a British riddler.
I am everywhere....
June 08, 2013, 07:31:22 PM
Reply #10

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Well I don't have a clue who is likely to be the next Doctor. But I know who I'd like - I think Tom Hiddleston would be great. I saw him playing Henry V in The Hollow Crown TV series on the BBC and he was fantastic and was thinking all along that he was quite Doctor-y. I don't think he'd do it even if asked though, perhaps.

One of the main reasons I don't want a female Doctor is what happens with the companion. Two women would be interesting but would mean fewer regular male characters, presumably. And if the Doctor had a male companion then what does that say about why he chooses his/her companions! But mostly I think if it ain't broke don't fix. There's still huge scope for a male Doctor and having him change gender as well as appearance and everything else might be too much for a lot of the audience. It can be hard enough explaining to new viewers how the Doctor is supposed to be the same character after regenerating even without having him change gender. As far as publicity goes, I think regeneration episodes get a huge amount of interest and don't yet need the boost that a sex change would give - if there would even be that much of a boost; sex changes are much more common among us humans than changing your whole body, after all.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
June 08, 2013, 10:12:19 PM
Reply #11

roonwit

One of the main reasons I don't want a female Doctor is what happens with the companion. Two women would be interesting but would mean fewer regular male characters, presumably. And if the Doctor had a male companion then what does that say about why he chooses his/her companions!
That wouldn't be insurmountable though. They can easily add in an extra companion to balance out the sexes, and find a reason for the new person to join them through force of circumstance without it being primarily the Doctor's choice. A female Doctor - female companion relationship would be interesting to see, but it probably works better as a programme to have regular male and female characters.
I wonder if they will audition both men and women for the role, and if we will ever find out if they do.
June 08, 2013, 10:15:54 PM
Reply #12

BillieMac

It's my understanding, from various sci-fi entertainment news shows, is that the one constant with the Doctor is that he's always going to be male.
June 09, 2013, 06:34:12 AM
Reply #13

varza

• Varzaland
Here is a speculation of what happens when the doctor regenerates into a female:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

Post Merge: June 09, 2013, 07:47:05 AM
Thought - what if the real reason Matthew from Dowtown Abbey was killed off was because.... he is the next Doctor?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:47:05 AM by varza »
I am everywhere....
June 16, 2013, 01:13:49 AM
Reply #14

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I've always known that this day would come sooner or later, but I somehow convinced myself that we had at least one more year with Matt Smith, so the news that he's leaving this Christmas came as a complete shock to me.

Back in March, a friend kindly tipped me off about some leaked news that Matt Smith was leaving at Christmas, but I didn't want to believe that so I just wrote it off as a rumor.  In hindsight, that should have been a warning that this might be happening.

So, now I will join the ranks of Doctor Who fans who have gone through losing their Doctor, as Matt Smith was my first Doctor and remains my favorite of all the Doctors I've watched retrospectively.  I hope his regeneration won't be too difficult for me to watch, and hope I'll be able to give the 12th Doctor a chance once I'm done mourning for the 11th, whomever they might choose to be the 12th Doctor.

In any case they may need some sort of unusual regeneration as the Doctor is running out of them according to the traditional count.

Because the Doctor only has 2 regenerations left anyway, I would personally prefer for them to keep him male for his remaining regenerations.  Then, after he runs out of regenerations, they can switch to a female Doctor by having his daughter carry on in his absence or something like that.
June 26, 2013, 07:43:03 AM
Reply #15

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
In any case they may need some sort of unusual regeneration as the Doctor is running out of them according to the traditional count.
Because the Doctor only has 2 regenerations left anyway, I would personally prefer for them to keep him male for his remaining regenerations.  Then, after he runs out of regenerations, they can switch to a female Doctor by having his daughter carry on in his absence or something like that.
I've heard a theory that Doctor might have more than the traditional 12 regenerations because when River sacrificed her regeneration energy or whatever to save him, he got her remaining regenerations as well or something. That does, however, raise the question of how many regenerations River had left at that point, and how this can work, but hey, I'm for whatever that enables Doctor Who go on.

As far as the possibility of Doctor becoming female goes, well, I'm all for it  :ginny: I don't see having more main female than male characters as a problem as the majority stuff on TV is dominated by male characters. An extra male companion can easily be added. And I don't know if anyone else remembers but when the Doctor had just regenerated into 11, he touched his hair, noted that it was kinda longer than it had been and yelled something along the line of 'I'm a girl'. It's just a joke, of course, but it can also suggest that a female regeneration is a possibility.

That being said, however, there's also an argument on why it is important that the Doctor is and remains male. I can't find the quote at the moment but the idea is that the Doctor presents an untraditional male hero - unlike most male hero-like characters, he dislikes and refuses to use guns, he doesn't seem to be physically strong (other than, you know, a fast runner ;D ) and stuff. If the Doctor becomes female, she won't seem so extraordinary in this regard.

As much fun as it would be to have Hugh Laurie or Helen Mirren or Rupert Grint as the next Doctor, I agree with atschpe that it's best if the Doctor is a relatively unknown actor. I've seen a lot of names mentioned in wish lists but I'm personally most intrigued by Richard Ayoade - I haven't heard of him before (it seems he's best known for his role in The IT Crowd) and he seems quirky and looks good in glasses :doctor10: It would be good to have more diversity in Doctor Who.

Here's an article saying that we'll probably have to wait a couple more months to find out who the next Doctor will be. It also lists a few candidates, but in my opinion, whoever are thought to be most likely candidates won't become the next Doctor - I mean, not that I was following the reports that closely for previous regenerations, but it seems to me that popular opinion didn't guess either David Tennant or Matt Smith.
July 01, 2013, 09:24:08 AM
Reply #16

varza

• Varzaland
Okay, the idea of Julian Rhind-Tutt intrigues me. He is a ginger and he looks like the love child of the #4 and #5 Doctors. A few of those intrique me though, not super well known but recognizable but maybe still too recognizable.

Some fun - if any of the actors or actresses from the Harry Potter series was cast as the Doctor, who would you choose?
I would choose Matthew Lewis if it was a male, Evanna Lynch for a female.
I am everywhere....
August 03, 2013, 01:13:11 AM
Reply #17

varza

• Varzaland
I am everywhere....
August 05, 2013, 07:36:24 PM
Reply #18

BillieMac

August 06, 2013, 12:52:08 AM
Reply #19

varza

• Varzaland
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/spin-doctor-dr-bbc-names-time-lord-205351543.html

What do you think, guys? Looks rather more professorial, doesn't he?
The last seasons seems to be going towards a darker angle with the story - a possible war. From what I have seen of his acting he has the ability to pull that off. I would love to see them bring River back and put them against each other. I'm not surprised they went with another white male at all. I would of hated having Helen Mirren (there was a huge call for her) but only because I wouldn't be about to see The Doctor past her.

I read a lot of complaints about them choosing an older doctor. My cousin's friend (in high school) said the show was completely and utterly ruined for him and he has no plans to ever watch it again. This attitude is upsetting to me because the show isn't about watching a cute guy on the tv but about the adventure of it. I told one person that if the hotness of a character is their leading priority to enjoying a show then they should switch the channel to the CW where ugly or normal doesn't exist. For me the switch isn't that important, its the ability to pull the character off and how they fill the shoes. This man loves the Doctor for his entire life... he isn't going to screw it up if he can help it.
I am everywhere....