April 23, 2018, 04:54:17 AM

Author Topic: Confessions of a Potter-holic  (Read 8657 times)

June 09, 2013, 11:24:22 PM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
There have been signs, and more than whispers.  You've seen them stop talking when you enter a room.  Your friends and family are concerned.  You suspect an intervention is on its way.  Lately, even you have been thinking ... perhaps they're not wrong.

It's time to ask yourself if you've been experiencing these symptoms:

Does your heart beat a little faster when you see a license plate, mailbox or phone number including 394:snape:

Are you continually trying to Accio things that are out of reach?   :neville:

Do you have an unusual fondness for treacle tart?  :harry:

Are all of your goldfish named after Weasleys?  :fredgeorge:

Have you had your Quidditch team mascot tattooed on your arm?  :harryquidditch:

Do you feel as if you are surrounded by Muggles who just don't understand?  :crabbegoyle:

Worry not!  Help is available!  :stars: (And there's no need to feel an ounce of guilt about any of it!)  You've found your support group right here.  :hug: This is the place to share with your fellow Potter-holics all of the ways Harry finds his way into your life each day.  You are among friends here; we understand, we've all been there!  Sharing is great therapy, so jump right in!  Tell us, how have you demonstrated your love for the world of Harry Potter today?  :7potters:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 03:46:32 AM by paint it Black »

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
June 10, 2013, 03:55:09 AM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
;D Funny you should put up this topic today! The very day I just shared my love of Potter with a nice waiter at Olive garden.  ;) It's funny how Potter can come up in conversations and the love of Potter just comes through. I seem to be an overwhelming die hard when it comes to the Potter books ...
June 10, 2013, 07:41:41 PM
Reply #2

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
 :stars: Woohooo! It's great to see this thread pop up!

It's time to ask yourself if you've been experiencing these symptoms:

Are you continually trying to Accio things that are out of reach?   :neville:

Do you feel as if you are surrounded by Muggles who just don't understand?  :crabbegoyle:
Guilty on both accounts, though not necessarily today precisely. But yes, I do seem to associate many things to HP that it likely takes a HP fan to realise why...

As I was having lunch the other day, I looked out of the window and saw something white flying by along the street, approximately at the height of people's heads. My first thought went to Hedwig  :hedwig: and what might have triggered the need to send an owl in broad daylight through central Stockholm, in the middle of all Muggles?!  :ron:

It was a bit small to be an owl though, and when sense kicked in I realised it probably was a piece of parchment flying away instead...  :ginny:
June 11, 2013, 10:50:27 PM
Reply #3

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
Until recently I had the pleasure of working with a bunch of HP fans.  With one particular psychologist we would routinely refer to owls rather than emails, confirmation that a task had been completed would be indicated by "Mischief Managed" and he chose "Alohomora" as the password for a spreadsheet we were using at one point.  Work gets no better than when it's done with like-minded people who share your craziness.

Also, while out shopping a few weeks ago, my daughter and I spotted a wizard who wore reasonably authentic Muggle clothing but was given away by his purple beard. 

June 12, 2013, 10:23:01 PM
Reply #4

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Also, while out shopping a few weeks ago, my daughter and I spotted a wizard who wore reasonably authentic Muggle clothing but was given away by his purple beard.
Purple beard!  :fredgeorge: Fabulous!

I've just spent part of the evening repotting some flowers, a work that I wasn't entirely thrilled over having to do. However, when I referred to it as practical Herbology it soon felt a lot more appealing.  :ginny: :flower:
June 14, 2013, 12:33:22 AM
Reply #5

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
Purple beard!  :fredgeorge: Fabulous!
Too cool!  There is a white-haired gentleman that I see at local music festivals each summer, and although he maintains a Muggle costume of Hawaiian shirts and a straw hat, he has a brightly colored mustache each time I come across him.   Maybe I should think about changing the color of one of my eyebrows next time I go...  :luna:

I'm probably not the only one here who has Potter-isms that creep into their everyday language, either from the books or the films.  One that my family has made a habit of is to say the word "Junior" in the same creepy way that the actor that plays Karkaroff does when he says, "Barty Crouch, Junior" at his trial in GoF.  This is especially fun when we are saying the name or title of something sweet and innocent, like the version of the Disney Channel that is for small children, "Disney, JUNIOR:voldemort:  :darkmark:  :scared:   ;D

June 14, 2013, 02:54:24 AM
Reply #6

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I've just spent part of the evening repotting some flowers, a work that I wasn't entirely thrilled over having to do. However, when I referred to it as practical Herbology it soon felt a lot more appealing.  :ginny: :flower:

:owlso: I have been putting off re-potting some plants, but now that you have brought this idea to my attention - I just may get out to the potting bench and get that little task over with!!!  :) :heart: :flower:
June 14, 2013, 09:32:52 PM
Reply #7

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
I am often very tempted to say "Lumos" when wanting to turn on the Muggle lights (and, obviously, "Nox", too! :D ) But you know you're a Potter-holic when you can repeat massive passages of Harry Potter (without the book!  :hermioneread: ) with Stephen Fry or Jim Dale, while listening to the audio cds of the Potterverse :)
(And another sign is having THREE different copies of each of the Potterverse - two "British editions (one set of hardback, one set of paperback) and also the American edition too!) :heart:

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
June 15, 2013, 12:13:11 PM
Reply #8

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone

Are all of your goldfish named after Weasleys?  :fredgeorge:

Oh, you got me there.......

I have had fish named Ron, Fred and George and my budgie is called Percy.  :ron:

June 22, 2013, 08:54:20 AM
Reply #9

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Does your heart beat a little faster when you see a license plate, mailbox or phone number including 394:snape:
Well, nooo, I had to think about this one for a little while...  :ashamed:

.... but I just happened to come across the number 665, and immediatly associated to Nicolas Flamel. Remembering young  :hermioneread: going: ...who recently celebrated his 665th birthday....  :fredgeorge:
June 27, 2013, 04:45:26 AM
Reply #10

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I took the kids to the pool and I wore my goggles over my forehead for too long while we were there, and ended up with two pressure marks on my forehead.  When it was time to leave and I took off the goggles, my 11-year-old son exclaimed, "You look like Harry Potter except you have two scars on your forehead!"  This particular son is not a Potter fan nor has he read the books (yet), so I was glad to see that I've got him sufficiently brainwashed to the point of being able to make everyday references to Harry Potter.   :harry:
July 24, 2013, 12:50:15 AM
Reply #11

Misssyblantsybil

I am known at work for my consistent ability to provide answers to clues on the NyTimes crossword puzzle that require deep familiarity of Potter trivia.
July 24, 2013, 02:17:40 AM
Reply #12

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
I was watching a Muggle movie where at one point 2 characters duel each other (with swords). I kept waiting for one of them to pull out a wand and Expelliarmus the other guy.
July 24, 2013, 08:42:06 AM
Reply #13

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
I took the kids to the pool and I wore my goggles over my forehead for too long while we were there, and ended up with two pressure marks on my forehead.  When it was time to leave and I took off the goggles, my 11-year-old son exclaimed, "You look like Harry Potter except you have two scars on your forehead!"  This particular son is not a Potter fan nor has he read the books (yet), so I was glad to see that I've got him sufficiently brainwashed to the point of being able to make everyday references to Harry Potter.   :harry:
Well played, ss19!  Good to know that he understands that HP is an established part of the family mythology.  ;)
(P.S.  As I post this, your post count is 394, lol.  :snape:)

Am I the only one who, upon seeing that the top bets for names for the newborn Prince of Cambridge are for James and George, thought  :marauders: and  :fredgeorgequidditch:?  I think they couldn't go wrong with Sirius or Remus either  ;), and Prince Fred also has a nice ring to it  :fredgeorge:.  Let's hope they steer clear of the last Marauder's name, though!

And of course, we already have a Prince  :harryquidditch: !

July 24, 2013, 03:03:30 PM
Reply #14

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page

Am I the only one who, upon seeing that the top bets for names for the newborn Prince of Cambridge are for James and George, thought  :marauders: and  :fredgeorgequidditch:?  I think they couldn't go wrong with Sirius or Remus either  ;), and Prince Fred also has a nice ring to it  :fredgeorge:.  Let's hope they steer clear of the last Marauder's name, though!

And of course, we already have a Prince  :harryquidditch: !

Hoping for Ron. So people can say Ron (Weasley) is our king! ;)

Given that the Duchess has read the Potter books and that it's not a traditional royal name, I doubt that we will have a Prince Peter of Cambridge.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:05:03 PM by Hermione P »
July 24, 2013, 07:54:31 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
(P.S.  As I post this, your [ ss19's ] post count is 394, lol.  :snape:)

:snape: Oooops... you shouldn't have mentioned that!   :snape: How long will it take now before ss19 sheds this Snape Connection?!?  :fredgeorge: (Not too long I hope....)

Speaking of which.... having posted this, I caught sight of my own post count right now: 665!
.... but I just happened to come across the number 665, and immediatly associated to Nicolas Flamel. Remembering young  :hermioneread: going: ...who recently celebrated his 665th birthday....  :fredgeorge:
What a coincedence it happened right now!  ;D

Funny to see that these ancient Royal names (James and George), discussed for a Royal baby, makes people think of HP instead...  :fredgeorge: HP do, of course, have a few Princes too: Tobias, Eileen and Severus...  ;D

When you buy a great looking toad in a gift shop and of course refers to it as Trevor... So far he has showed no inclination to escape, though... Maybe because I live far too far away from a lake?  :neville:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:58:09 PM by Evreka »
July 25, 2013, 02:59:32 AM
Reply #16

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
It's official: The Prince of Cambridge's name is George Alexander Louis. (http://www.theolathenews.com/2013/07/24/2021502/britains-new-prince-spends-1st.html)

So if he has a younger sibling, will it be Fred for a boy and Ginevra for a girl?

PS: I wonder what Prince George will think of his namesake in the Potter books when he's old enough to read them. Sure hope the Duchess gets her son and husband to read the books! :D
July 29, 2013, 12:38:25 PM
Reply #17

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
While reading a novel by Kate Morton, with the fascinating name The Secret Keeper (!), which is a many layered story of secrets, love, relationships and betrayal  set in London during WWII and forwards (though not told in chronological order), you come by a paragraph where a librarian refers to Hogwarts(!) and as the heroine pretends to not understand (she's pressed for time) she notes the look of sympathetic compassion that the librarian gives her - an apparent Muggle! - who has not "got it"!

And you are positively thrilled, not "just" for the HP reference as such, but because Morton must be a fan too, as she knows to describe other people as Muggles!  :fredgeorge: :hearts:
July 31, 2013, 12:14:19 PM
Reply #18

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Potter2005 just posted an update on the aftermath of how Robert Galbraith pen name was uncovered. As I followed the link and read the article I spotted a link in the margin of the news site, linking to another piece of news. (Now, the linked news as such is tragic, and completely unrelated to the associations I made.) The link contained the words Red Cap, referring to a tragic murder of a British Soldier. What I reacted on was, however, the Words "Red Cap"?  :ron: Surely that is a creature? And, yes, it is. And it got me thinking... Are Brittish Soldiers often referred to as red caps? And if so, is the name of this creature really a coincedence?  :crabbegoyle:
July 31, 2013, 08:37:43 PM
Reply #19

roonwit

Potter2005 just posted an update on the aftermath of how Robert Galbraith pen name was uncovered. As I followed the link and read the article I spotted a link in the margin of the news site, linking to another piece of news. (Now, the linked news as such is tragic, and completely unrelated to the associations I made.) The link contained the words Red Cap, referring to a tragic murder of a British Soldier. What I reacted on was, however, the Words "Red Cap"?  :ron: Surely that is a creature? And, yes, it is. And it got me thinking... Are Brittish Soldiers often referred to as red caps? And if so, is the name of this creature really a coincedence?  :crabbegoyle:
Red Caps are the Royal Military Police. The fictional back story of Robert Galbraith might have made him a Red Cap, though I don't know if the term extends to the Special Investigation Branch which is the detective branch of the Royal Military Police but could also be of the Royal Navy Police or the Royal Air Force Police.