June 22, 2018, 04:31:03 AM

Author Topic: Confessions of a Potter-holic  (Read 9591 times)

August 03, 2013, 08:35:02 PM
Reply #20

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When your new Kindle make you think of the Marauder's Map. Every time it is turned off the screen goes blank, but unlike a computer screen it gets all white. All the "ink" on it Vannish, leaving just the blank "paper".  So I tend to think Misschief Managed! each time I turn it off...  :fredgeorge:
September 01, 2013, 05:54:42 PM
Reply #21

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When you get even more Potter crazy than usual ( :o ) on 1 September, noting the date and wondering aloud how many sent their kids off to Hogwarts today?  :harryquidditch:

I've been cleaning my house all day, and when I was in my study, and cleaning my Potter shelf, I actually waved my wand around in the far-away stretch of a chance  :fredgeorge: that the rest of the house would clean itself. Unfortunately it didn't help as much as I could have wished...  :ginny:

I was also reminded of a Wrock song by a male singer that is all about wanting to go to Hogwarts on 1 September, but I couldn't quite find it at Youtube. Does it ring any bells with anyone else?
September 01, 2013, 08:43:48 PM
Reply #22

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
Like Evreka, my mind has been totally at King's Cross station today, wondering how many witch and wizard wannabes are waiting there, in the hope they'll be able to get through the barrier :) Unfortunately my owl forgot to drop off my letter, yet again ... :(
 :hedwig:

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
September 22, 2013, 08:00:28 PM
Reply #23

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When you are searching your brain for a great word to describe Ron's and Hermione's early relationship and finding nothing, yet knowing there is an absolutely great one for it.... So you sit and think, trying to remember that perfect description - or at least where it came from... And then you realise you think of David Heyman's often repeated words (which turned out to be a quote of Jo's words more precisely) from the introduction of the very young cast back in 2000!

And you can remember almost the entire sentence but the word you are looking for, so you type:
Ron Hermione "as if they've been doing it all their lives" into Google and gets a link to this wonderfully sweet article, from years back.... Shy Harry meets the press and you want others to see it too....  :hearts:
September 26, 2013, 08:30:07 AM
Reply #24

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
When I was at the grocery store the other day, I saw a display of packaged snacks made from dehydrated vegetables.  One of them must have been some sort of odd potions ingredient.  It was called SNAPEAS.   ??:snape:??         Or perhaps one eats these to get a passing grade in Potions class?   :snape: :owlsa:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
September 26, 2013, 04:54:26 PM
Reply #25

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
That's a bit of a strange ingredient "SNAPEAS"! :snape:   Perhaps they were trying to say "Snap Peas"?  What a laugh though!  ;D
September 26, 2013, 05:15:32 PM
Reply #26

siena

I want some Snape Peas right now  ;D

Yes, I think those snacks might just be some dried sugar snap peas ...
September 27, 2013, 12:11:10 AM
Reply #27

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
I want some Snape Peas right now  ;D
Here ya go...

:snape:      :snape:      :snape:      :snape:      :snape:      :snape:      :snape:     

;)

Yes, I think those snacks might just be some dried sugar snap peas ...
Yes, that's exactly what they are.  Snapea Crisps
I still wonder how many others see  :snape: when they look at that product, though.   :snapeboggart:

October 23, 2013, 10:08:03 PM
Reply #28

Misssyblantsybil

Reading an Alice Munroe short story, came across this:

"...legendary Norse wolves and particularly of the great wolf Fenrir, which swallows up Odin at the end of the world..."

and realized again how deep JKR's knowledge of literature is and how much of it is in the HP books.
October 24, 2013, 07:36:03 PM
Reply #29

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When you watch your regular News program a few days ago and there is a short thing about the "new"  :mcgonagall2: HP museum just outside London - Leavesden, which attracts loads of HP fans from all over the world and has had over 2 million visitors in its first year. And you are torn between  :fredgeorge: of it being mentioned at all - and that it shows a few glimpses from it - and annoyance over it being labeled "new"....  :mcgonagall2:
January 04, 2014, 11:08:20 AM
Reply #30

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I was looking at web links with some info on James Bowen and Street Cat Bob (for a post in another thread), which lead me to a few BBC articles with videos showing the pair. In one of them James talked about raising money for various charities, one of which was St Mungos:surprised: Turns out St Mungo's is a place that has helped homeless British people since 1969!!! It's funny because it never occurred to me it could be a real place with the same name....

When you smile extra broadly when you read in A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen that the street musician living rough, found being with Bob (who made people stop and see them both) something like as if he'd taken off Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak!  :fredgeorge:
June 05, 2014, 07:22:04 AM
Reply #31

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Sometimes if inspiration strikes me when I am watching shows without any actors from Potter, I start drawing Potter parallels...
June 05, 2014, 07:50:22 PM
Reply #32

BillieMac

Evreka, I've never heard of these people. What's the other thread, and which Platform is it on?
June 10, 2014, 08:05:50 PM
Reply #33

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Evreka, I've never heard of these people. What's the other thread, and which Platform is it on?
Oh, Bob the streetcat is popping in and out of some of the threads over in Platform 1: Books.

He's in:
What Are You Reading?
Pre-ordering - What books do you await so eagerly that you pre-order?

Try searching in Books for Bob Bowen, and you'll find the individual posts: a very charming book with sequel about an awsome cat, Bob.  :crookshanks:

When you strongly suspect that Bob might be a half-Kneazle.... ;)   :crookshanks:

June 11, 2014, 01:33:15 AM
Reply #34

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
Oh, Bob the streetcat is popping in and out of some of the threads over in Platform 1: Books.

He's in:
What Are You Reading?
Pre-ordering - What books do you await so eagerly that you pre-order?

Try searching in Books for Bob Bowen, and you'll find the individual posts: a very charming book with sequel about an awsome cat, Bob.  :crookshanks:
Yes, we've been having a chat about A Street Cat Named Bob, most recently in the What Are You Reading? thread on Platform 1.  Come on by!  :)

When you strongly suspect that Bob might be a half-Kneazle.... ;)   :crookshanks:
Ooo, good one!  :nod:

Sometimes if inspiration strikes me when I am watching shows without any actors from Potter, I start drawing Potter parallels...
O Hermione P, I do that often as well.  :) Recently I was making a parallel between HP and the X-men (I'm not as much an expert on the X-men, so hopefully I was doing this correctly  :) ).  I was thinking that Professor X is like Dumbledore in that he wants the mutants to live peacefully with the humans and not make waves (plus, they are both professors!), whereas Magneto is more like Grindelwald in that he thinks that the mutants shouldn't take any guff from anyone and should dominate the humans.  Hopefully that's a proper comparison!  :)

June 29, 2014, 04:50:01 PM
Reply #35

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When you wonder if Google's newest football World Cup image means the next match is between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw?  :angeldevilseesaw:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:51:57 PM by Evreka »
June 29, 2014, 06:06:57 PM
Reply #36

siena

I have just become aware of a film called How To Train Your Dragon Part2 (apparently there was a first part as well  ;)

I strongly suspect Hagrid is both the director and producer  :lol:   :hagrid:  :thumbup:
June 30, 2014, 04:49:14 AM
Reply #37

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Over the weekend, I watched Appaloosa which Timothy Spall (Wormtail) acted in. There's a scene he's in where the bad guys were asked to disarm. I was half-hoping he would pull out his wand and disarm them magically. (But then again, if he could use magic, there would be no movie.)
June 30, 2014, 05:31:41 AM
Reply #38

Laura W

I have just become aware of a film called How To Train Your Dragon Part2 (apparently there was a first part as well  ;)

I strongly suspect Hagrid is both the director and producer  :lol:   :hagrid:  :thumbup:

I saw the first part.  It was very, very successful but I didn't really care for it at all.  The storyline (writing) was way too predictable for me.  And too sickly sweet.  But I expect Hagrid would have cheered throughout the whole movie.   :hagrid:  ha, ha.  Charlie Weasley - who knows that dragons are not cuddly pets - would have been disgusted by it, though.

I've also heard that the sequel that just came out is quite different from the first movie.  Much darker.  I might like it better.  (Haven't decided if I will see it yet or not.)

lw 
July 17, 2014, 01:12:20 PM
Reply #39

siena

I think I will go and see the film if it's still showing where I live. I need some lighthearted entertainment and I reckon I'm missing out with my avoidance of anything computer animated. I have heard several people confirming that Frozen is an outstanding film by the way.
They say that there will be a sequel ...

But now something entirely different: Most of you will probably be aware that the British Model Kate Moss designed another line for UK retailer Topshop. Among several stunning pieces I found this:

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=Kate+Moss&storeId=12556&productId=14796823&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33057

Now I'm aware that Dobby is the term for  a mechanism attached to a loom for weaving small patterns, but I still think Kate might have thought of our beloved house elf while designing it ... ;)