August 18, 2018, 01:43:37 PM

Author Topic: Confessions of a Potter-holic  (Read 10691 times)

July 27, 2014, 09:38:00 PM
Reply #40

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When you can not resist the urge to buy two different necklaces with owls when you are visiting a Craft Fair.   :hedwigpig:

For obvious reasons the smaller one became a Pig immediately, the larger one is so far nameless...  ;)
July 28, 2014, 11:48:03 AM
Reply #41

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
When you get a black kitten and feel it's only natural to call him Sirius and a ginger kitten and consider all the Weasley names before deciding that Charlie is the one you feel best about calling down the garden (although I would happily have used Fred and George had I got two ginger kittens).  Turns out they're well named - Sirius is sleek and handsome and bright (the brightest star in the sky  :)  ) and Charlie is a whirlwind who fears nothing, I can well imagine him working with dragons, and I'll bet he was the one who taught Fred and George a lot of their cheekiness. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:49:44 AM by Dreamteam »

August 03, 2014, 04:13:16 PM
Reply #42

siena

I recently had the misfortune to hit my forehead against the sharp edge of a radiator ( I wanted to change a CD in the dead of night without switching the light on - not recommended  :shake: ). I'll spare you the messier details - but I ended up in A&E, where I thought the cut would need some stitches. However, I was surprised to find out that nowadays cuts  get glued back together - yes, really  ;). I have to say it worked very well.

I couldn't help wondering what Arthur Weasley would have made of this new state of the art Muggle medical treatment  ;D. I wonder if he has found out yet - maybe even Molly would approve  :lol:

P.S. I am of course hoping for a nice scar now ... :P
August 03, 2014, 06:48:23 PM
Reply #43

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Dreamteam - I think it is so funny and cool, that you name your two kittens after characters based on their furs - and they turn out to have "appropriate" characteristics!  :lol:

I recently had the misfortune to hit my forehead against the sharp edge of a radiator ( I wanted to change a CD in the dead of night without switching the light on - not recommended  :shake: ). ...
OUCH!  :hug: That doesn't sound like a great exercise!

However, I was surprised to find out that nowadays cuts  get glued back together - yes, really  ;). I have to say it worked very well.

I couldn't help wondering what Arthur Weasley would have made of this new state of the art Muggle medical treatment  ;D. I wonder if he has found out yet - maybe even Molly would approve  :lol:

P.S. I am of course hoping for a nice scar now ... :P
:thumbup: A good question indeed! That sounds almost as magic to me...  ;) I wonder if Nagini's poison would have dissolved the glue too, or if that could have worked better! 

I had a Herbology session yesterday, when I was going all over my lawn attempting to rid it of creeping thistles, not a particularly funny job. But at least made funnier by labelling it as such! ;)
August 12, 2014, 09:44:51 PM
Reply #44

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When the only two car numbers that strike you among the many you see in a day, are OOP and OYT. I'd love  :hearts: to have a car named OYT..... (It's part of the inscription on the Mirror of Erised).
August 14, 2014, 04:29:50 PM
Reply #45

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
When the only two car numbers that strike you among the many you see in a day, are OOP and OYT. I'd love  :hearts: to have a car named OYT..... (It's part of the inscription on the Mirror of Erised).

I confessed I had to look that up! I love looking at car tags and putting familiar quotes or word phrases to them!

You do know you are a Potter-holic though when doing arm exercises in your water exercise class, you pretend you are stirring a cauldron full of the " Elixir For A Long Life"! Ten to the right, Ten to the left, clockwise then counterclockwise ... ! I have to grin ever time we do that in my pool class!
August 14, 2014, 07:38:51 PM
Reply #46

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
You do know you are a Potter-holic though when doing arm exercises in your water exercise class, you pretend you are stirring a cauldron full of the " Elixir For A Long Life"! Ten to the right, Ten to the left, clockwise then counterclockwise ... ! I have to grin ever time we do that in my pool class! [/color]
Sounds like fun! Perhaps it would be easier in a slightly smaller cauldron?  :hmm:   :fredgeorge:

I am currently reading a book called Defying Hitler: A Memoir (though in Swedish) which is in both cases really translated from German Geschichte eines Deutschen. Die Erinnerungen 1914–1933. by Sebastian Haffner. It describes German history during those years, and show us what it was like to live in Germany at that time, even for an "arier". In short, it is not a book that generally brings out smiles and happy thoughts, so I guess you have to be a huge HP fan to even note, and much more be amused by the description at page 88, where Haffner use the following symbolism to describe why people were so fascinated by Hitler as a speaker. (Google's and mine translation from Swedish): ... this strange way to befuddle and stun opponents, who simply could not cope with the phenomenon and acted as if they were under the influence of a basilisk's gaze, unable to grasp that the personalized underworld challenged them. (My bold.)
A funny place to spot that creature, isn't it?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:19:41 PM by Evreka »
August 14, 2014, 07:50:41 PM
Reply #47

siena

I am currently reading a book called Defying Hitler: A Memoir (though in Swedish) which is in both cases really translated from German Geschichte eines Deutschen. Die Erinnerungen 1914–1933. by Sebastian Haffner. It describes German history during those years, and show us what it was like to live in Germany at that time, even for an "arier". In short, it is not a book that generally brings out smiles and happy thoughts, so I guess you have to be a huge HP fan to find cause to smile broadly at page 88, where Haffner tries to describe why people were so fascinated by Hitler as a speaker. (Google's and mine translation from Swedish): ... this strange way to befuddle and stun opponents, who simply could not cope with the phenomenon and acted as if they were under the influence of a basilisk's gaze, unable to grasp that the personalized underworld challenged them.
Some description, isn't it?  :lol:

My dear Evreka - I strongly suggest you listen to some original footage available of Hitler's (and Goebbel's ...) speeches ... I'm afraid, you will swallow you laughter (which I am sure just stems from ignorance  ;) ) and YOU WILL EXPERIENCE, at your leasure, what it was like to listen to those guys raised from hell at the time ...

I would also recommend you watch Downfall (2004, directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, starring Bruno Ganz )
to make you aware ...

I am sure your laughter will die in your throat before it ever surfaces ...

P.S. You will not understand the language ( I assume you don't know German, but even if you did, it is quite difficult to make out any meaning behind the screaming, even as a native speaker, believe me, so I don't think it makes much of a difference ...)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:57:03 PM by siena »
August 14, 2014, 09:12:49 PM
Reply #48

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator

I am currently reading a book called Defying Hitler: A Memoir (though in Swedish) which is in both cases really translated from German Geschichte eines Deutschen. Die Erinnerungen 1914–1933. by Sebastian Haffner. It describes German history during those years, and show us what it was like to live in Germany at that time, even for an "arier". In short, it is not a book that generally brings out smiles and happy thoughts, so I guess you have to be a huge HP fan to find cause to smile broadly at page 88, where Haffner tries to describe why people were so fascinated by Hitler as a speaker. (Google's and mine translation from Swedish): ... this strange way to befuddle and stun opponents, who simply could not cope with the phenomenon and acted as if they were under the influence of a basilisk's gaze, unable to grasp that the personalized underworld challenged them.
Some description, isn't it?  :))

My dear Evreka - I strongly suggest you listen to some original footage available of Hitler's (and Goebbel's ...) speeches ... I'm afraid, you will swallow you laughter (which I am sure just stems from ignorance  ;) ) and YOU WILL EXPERIENCE, at your leasure, what it was like to listen to those guys raised from hell at the time ...

I would also recommend you watch Downfall (2004, directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, starring Bruno Ganz )
to make you aware ...

I am sure your laughter will die in your throat before it ever surfaces ...

P.S. You will not understand the language ( I assume you don't know German, but even if you did, it is quite difficult to make out any meaning behind the screaming, even as a native speaker, believe me, so I don't think it makes much of a difference ...)
Actually, Siena, I think that perhaps you may have misunderstood Evreka's post.  I don't believe that she, or anyone for that matter, would find those speeches something to laugh at.  Given the topic of this thread, it was the mention of a basilisk (something that most of us tend to associate with the fiction of Harry Potter) in a speech which is of very serious content which seemed quite incredible and worthy of mention.  We sometimes forget that some of the creatures appearing in the series are not J K Rowling's creation but are known and used elsewhere. 

August 15, 2014, 07:37:33 PM
Reply #49

siena

Actually, Siena, I think that perhaps you may have misunderstood Evreka's post.  I don't believe that she, or anyone for that matter, would find those speeches something to laugh at.  Given the topic of this thread, it was the mention of a basilisk (something that most of us tend to associate with the fiction of Harry Potter) in a speech which is of very serious content which seemed quite incredible and worthy of mention.  We sometimes forget that some of the creatures appearing in the series are not J K Rowling's creation but are known and used elsewhere. 

Thank you for your post, dreamteam. Perhaps you are right and I did misunderstand. I haven't read the book Evreka mentioned after all ...
But  I don't think I would be inclined to read it. In my opinion it is an extremely tricky undertaking to compare generally (Shakespeare warns us about the futility of comparisions in his Sonnet 130) and particularly when it comes to Hitler and the Holocaust. People tried to come up with all sorts of explanations of the phenomenon that is fascism: Unemployment, lack of authority figures, confusion, lack of knowledge about what was really going on, etc. All of these factors were there and did contribute. And yet nothing will do to suffice to explain to a Jewish why their whole family - and thereby generations to come - were wiped out.

And silly comments by the author of the quoted work  about how Hitler apparently hypnotised everyone - as if he had some supernatural powers - are nothing but superfluous. He had nothing but his voice during those speeches (that were more like screams to be honest - I don't know if Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler in Downfall, ever got his voice back ...). And he had people willing to listen. And that is far scarier than anything you could imagine. But they chose to listen. It's as simple as that.

August 15, 2014, 10:48:02 PM
Reply #50

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
We seem to be straying a little from the topic of Potterholicism so I thought I'd ask about pets.  I recently became the slave of two gorgeous kittens:

The black one is six months old today and he's called Sirius which really fits him because he's handsome with a very sleek coat and clever (the brightest star in the sky :) ) - he's really laid back.  When I got the ginger one (he's five months old tomorrow) I just knew he needed a Weasley name.  Had I got two I'd have called them Fred and George but it still doesn't feel right to have one without the other so I decided on Charlie because I don't mind calling that down the garden whereas I'm not too sure about calling out "Ron", "Percy" or "Bill"  ;D   Again, I think it's a name that suits him well, he loves to playfight with Sirius and my other cat, Minnie, so I can well imagine him taking on dragons!

So does anyone else have a pet named after a Harry Potter character? 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:51:51 PM by Dreamteam »

August 16, 2014, 01:06:44 AM
Reply #51

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
We too are a Potter pet household. After having fish named Fred, George and Ron (we have given up on naming fish, they seem to live longer unnamed  ??? ) we now have a gorgeous budgie named Percy. Percy was very young on arrival into our house. It is very difficult to tell the gender of budgies in the first year or so. Four years on and I am yet to tell my children that Percy is a girl!  :o

August 16, 2014, 12:13:44 PM
Reply #52

siena

OMG Dreamteam  - they are adorable  :hearts: - particularly Charlie is extremely handsome with his ginger spots on a creamy fur - he does look very much like a small cheetah  8)

Is he a particular breed?

Charlie is a very good name.  Charlie is a great guy and I have always imagined his hair not to be quite as bright red as Ron's or Ginny's, so the name fits.

About Sirius as a name for the second cat ... hmm, I'm not sure. Sirius let himself go towards the end of his life and was probably  less  bright star and more worse for wear ...

P.S. I think I would name a black cat Victor ... after Mr Krum .. 8)

P.P.S I have just watched this  :lol: : http://www.brigitte.de/kultur/lifestyle/50-shades-katzen-1208900/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:16:19 PM by siena »
August 16, 2014, 08:36:57 PM
Reply #53

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
Thanks for the video link, Siena, they're really cute.  Sirius didn't have much choice but to let himself go in Azkaban but that didn't stop him loving and protecting Harry when he realised the danger he was in, so he remains my favourite character in the series.  Charlie has proved today that he has a Weasley appetite (think Ron, lol) when I spilled some home-made muesli, he was doing his best to devour the dried papaya and pineapple - I'm beginning to think that he's not a real cat but is perhaps an animagus!

August 17, 2014, 02:16:17 PM
Reply #54

siena

We too are a Potter pet household. After having fish named Fred, George and Ron (we have given up on naming fish, they seem to live longer unnamed  ??? ) we now have a gorgeous budgie named Percy. Percy was very young on arrival into our house. It is very difficult to tell the gender of budgies in the first year or so. Four years on and I am yet to tell my children that Percy is a girl!  :o

Isn't it usually easy to tell male/female budgies apart by the colour of their cere (the nose area). Royal blue - male, brownish/tan - female? Percy is a great name for a budgie - they never shut up, and are a bit pompous, just like Percy  ;D

Sirius didn't have much choice but to let himself go in Azkaban

I am not talking about his time in Azkaban - he did try to keep himself as well as he could under the circumstances, no one would argue that.
No, as I said in my previous post dated August 16, 2014,  Sirius let himself go during his last year in his life (OoTP). He stopped looking after himself and his appearance and succumbed to drinking...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:18:41 PM by siena »
August 17, 2014, 09:03:38 PM
Reply #55

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Regarding the Basilisk quote higher up: That is, clearly (if we consider the board and thread we are in), not a literary analyses of the book, the person or the historic time. It's simply a post on how you can happen to spot, and recognize, creatures mentioned in HP in all sorts of texts (whether Jo invented the species or not). I've edited it, to hopefully make that somewhat clearer. Further, I think you might change your mind on the book once I am through it and DO post a review in the normal thread in the Book board. However, this thread is certainly not the place for it.

Dreamteam, your kittens look great.  :crookshanks: Although in that particular photo Charlie doesn't look too wild...  ;)

So does anyone else have a pet named after a Harry Potter character?
Unfortunately, I don't have pets, but I still have found use of such names:

Although I do have a "pet polar owl", who was "hatched" at Leavesden  and for obvious reasons are called Hedwig.  :hedwig: She sits proudly in my hallway.  :hedwig:

Also, I call my computer mouse (which has an hp on it) Scabbers, since it doesn't always behave itself, and sometimes feels quite traitorous. My computer itself, which when it was new was a very good computer, is called Nimbus. Nimbus also sports hp, and works like magic.  :fredgeorge:

We too are a Potter pet household. ... we now have a gorgeous budgie named Percy. Percy was very young on arrival into our house. It is very difficult to tell the gender of budgies in the first year or so. Four years on and I am yet to tell my children that Percy is a girl!  :o
Oh dear! And you named the bird Percy, of all names? The one character who doesn't like a joke!  :lol: :fredgeorge: It's hilarious!

... Charlie has proved today that he has a Weasley appetite (think Ron, lol) when I spilled some home-made muesli, he was doing his best to devour the dried papaya and pineapple - I'm beginning to think that he's not a real cat but is perhaps an animagus!
Considering that Errol, Hedwig and others help themselves to cereals at Hogwarts sometimes, it might just be a sign of him being magical?  :crookshanks: A Kneazle perhaps?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:38:01 PM by Evreka »
August 17, 2014, 09:35:33 PM
Reply #56

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone

Isn't it usually easy to tell male/female budgies apart by the colour of their cere (the nose area). Royal blue - male, brownish/tan - female? Percy is a great name for a budgie - they never shut up, and are a bit pompous, just like Percy  ;D

You are correct in how to tell the gender of a budgie but all young budgies start with some blue above their beak. Over the first couple of years it kept changing from blue to beige and back again. I am sure she doesn't mind that her name is Percy ;D even though she is now a brooding female!

August 18, 2014, 10:37:11 AM
Reply #57

siena

... Charlie has proved today that he has a Weasley appetite (think Ron, lol) when I spilled some home-made muesli, he was doing his best to devour the dried papaya and pineapple - I'm beginning to think that he's not a real cat but is perhaps an animagus!
Considering that Errol, Hedwig and others help themselves to cereals at Hogwarts sometimes, it might just be a sign of him being magical?  :crookshanks: A Kneazle perhaps?

I think owls - whether magical or not, do naturally eat cereals and nuts and fruit as well as small rodents. Whereas for cats it's quite unusual indeed to pick up dried fruits. Although now I come to think of it the cat that used to live with me when I was younger did like raisins quite a lot.
August 25, 2014, 08:24:42 PM
Reply #58

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
When you can not resist the urge to buy two different necklaces with owls when you are visiting a Craft Fair.   :hedwigpig:

For obvious reasons the smaller one became a Pig immediately, the larger one is so far nameless...  ;)
Thanks to the ongoing HP Wizarding Chair Game (in which we choose among Slytherins in Draco's year), I've just realised that the most perfect name for my bigger owl (which is made in glass, and is mostly green), naturally would be Daphne Greenglass:fredgeorge:
August 26, 2014, 05:13:47 PM
Reply #59

siena

I did watch How to Train Your Dragon 2 yesterday and I did like it. Yes, I think Hagrid would approve of the film  ;)

I liked the take on the Viking World and theit honour bound rituals (especially when Hiccup's father's body was sent out to sea on a ship loaded with treasure - it reminded me very much of Beowulf ...).

I liked Hiccup's struggle with his identity and his reunification with his mother, and the background story. But what I loved best was Hiccup's little black dragon (what's his name, I didn't catch it ??) and his struggle between good and evil and loyalty towards the end. I really loved that dragon's facial expressions ... although very much computer generated, I was quite impressed, also by the landscapes created.

Altogether I'd recommend watching this film ... :)