December 13, 2017, 12:41:51 PM

Poll

Author Topic: Newt Scamander - Jo Returns to the Wizarding World  (Read 3968 times)

September 17, 2013, 09:05:11 PM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
On 12 September 2013 a short few paragraphs was posted through a Twitter post, a post on Facebook and as an update to the official webb page - all Jo's - that she had decided to return to the Wizarding World and was about to embark on her first project as a Screen writer! Within no time at all, the news spread over all of Internet; regular news sites as well as HP fan sites. (See JK Rowling to write new Harry Potter inspired film series under Headlines, for more info. )

The new film series, starring Newt Scamander, the famous magi zoologist who wrote Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - (no, not everyone can be found in Hagrid's home  :fredgeorge: ), apparently is one of the characters that Jo knows quite a lot about, from her 17 previous years in this world. He has travelled the world and studied all these animals himself, apparently.  :hagrid:

How did you react to this news? Are you excited about the prospect of more magical films coming, or sad that we will not return to the characters we all love, but be introduced to completely new ones?
Is it boon or bane, in your opinion, that Jo will, this time, write the film manuscript herself?
Are you waiting for more information before getting involved or was your reaction something completely different? Spill your beans here!

So far, we only know that the series will begin in New York City in 1897, and follow Newt around on his travels over 5 continents. What do you think Newt was doing in New York City this year? Was he born there? Was he beginning his study of magical creatures? Did something special happen (in IRL history) that year in New York City that he might have been involved in? What do you think?

What do you think would be great if it was included - or avoided, for that matter?

Will this film also be shot from Leavesden - or will it be based in the US (or elsewhere)? Does it matter?

Do feel free to add any other thought or question on this new adventure to come, here!  :hagridfriends:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:10:38 PM by Evreka »

September 17, 2013, 10:38:45 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

So far, we only know that the series will begin in New York City in 1897, and follow Newt around on his travels over 5 continents. What do you think Newt was doing in New York City this year? Was he born there? Was he beginning his study of magical creatures? Did something special happen (in IRL history) that year in New York City that he might have been involved in? What do you think?
I doubt the story starts in 1897. Jo's website says
Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.
. That could mean a few dates, 1910 (seventy years before Harry was born), 1911 (seventy years before the first scene in book one) or 1921 (seventy years before Harry's story gets underway properly with Dudley's birthday and the visit to the Zoo). We do know Newt was born in 1897 [FB, About the author], but I think it much more likely the story starts during Newt's travels. We know Newt was a student at Hogwarts, then joined  the Ministry and it sounds like he continued to work there (eg. creating the Werewolf register in 1947 and the Ban on experimental breeding in 1965), researching for his book (commissioned by Obscurus Books in 1918) in his holidays and when his Ministry duties sent him abroad
I doubt Jo would change what we know of his backstory, so I think it highly likely that he is in New York as part of his research. His time at Hogwarts and the Ministry implies he is almost certainly British or Irish.
September 19, 2013, 08:55:40 PM
Reply #2

Buckbeak 26

I just saw this on my internet this morning and am really looking forward to more Wizarding world even though it would not include the characters we know and love. I hope though that there will be refrences to Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall in the later movies. Here's hoping that these movies will be a cash cow for J.K. like the 7 books were.
September 20, 2013, 11:36:53 AM
Reply #3

siena

I think it's a fantastic idea to return to the wizarding world with Scamander's story - that way, she can leave Harry's story as it is, but still return to her roots. It's of course brilliant that she will take things in her own hands this time around - I think everyone will agree. No less talented writer messing with her stuff.

I'm really looking forward to this - Fantastic Beasts is extremely witty and offers loads of ways to tell the different stories. Bring it on - as soon as possible ... ;D
September 20, 2013, 09:24:38 PM
Reply #4

roonwit

I just saw this on my internet this morning and am really looking forward to more Wizarding world even though it would not include the characters we know and love. I hope though that there will be refrences to Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall in the later movies. Here's hoping that these movies will be a cash cow for J.K. like the 7 books were.

I think it is unlikely we will get references to characters from the Harry Potter books. Newt may well have met Dumbledore, depending on when he started teaching, but I doubt he would be famous enough in Newt's field to get a reference, and McGonagall would be too young (or not born at all). There is also less space in a film for such overt references, though it is possible there might be references on props eg. a Transfiguration Today as part of background scene dressing.
September 21, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
Reply #5

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
Anything from Jo is of course, amazing, and it will be fantastic (;) ) to get more magical information even if it by film, but I would rather Jo had brought out the "Scottish book", an encyclopedia of Potter! :hermioneread:
It will be interesting how they'll do it seeming we know very little about Newt Scamander. except that Luna married his grandson ;)

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
September 27, 2013, 12:27:36 AM
Reply #6

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
I probably could check most of the boxes in this poll.  ::)  Mostly, I'm happy that Jo is writing, and that she's happy to continue to do so even though she surely doesn't need the income.  This new project does not excite me as much as if she were, say, starting a Marauders project, which would make me perhaps the happiest person ever.  :stars:  However, as I was re-reading parts of The Cuckoo's Calling today, I was reminded of how much I really enjoy Jo's dialogue and character development.  Seeing a film made from her screenplay, where the characters speak what she has written for them,  could actually turn out to be something really great.  She's a clever lady  :hermioneread: so I'm sure she can come up with some interesting tale behind Newt's discovery of those fantastic beasts.  I'll be looking forward to it!  :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
October 02, 2013, 11:59:37 AM
Reply #7

Potter2005

David Heyman is to return to produce the movie. :D
October 02, 2013, 07:29:41 PM
Reply #8

BillieMac

This isn't very interresting at the moment. I reserve my opinion for now.

It is in fact exceptionally interesting. Especially after reading Potter2005's post.
I'm a bit disappointed that David Hayman isn't directing, as GoF is my favourite HP movie, but I'll be eagerly following the updates.
October 02, 2013, 07:40:02 PM
Reply #9

Potter2005

Mike Newell directed GoF.

Are you confusing David Heyman with David Yates?

I really hope they bring back David Yates to direct this movie :)
October 03, 2013, 06:35:39 PM
Reply #10

BillieMac

Mike Newell directed GoF.

Are you confusing David Heyman with David Yates?
Not a chance. I'm confusing him with Mike Newell.

For some weird reason, I can just never remember Newell's name, despite GoF being my favourite of the movies. Possibly because he only directed the one.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:38:09 PM by BillieMac »
October 03, 2013, 07:08:36 PM
Reply #11

siena

I agree with BillieMac - GoF is brilliant. I would love Mike Newell to direct Fantastic Beasts !
October 03, 2013, 07:40:20 PM
Reply #12

Potter2005

I love GoF too.

I'll be happy with them bringing back any of the HP Directors as long as they don't pick Alfonso Cuaròn.
October 19, 2013, 07:35:19 PM
Reply #13

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I love GoF too.

I'll be happy with them bringing back any of the HP Directors as long as they don't pick Alfonso Cuaròn.
I second that - all of it!  :fredgeorge:

This is almost as exciting as Jo writing it!  :stars: We know that he has the right feel about HP, so why not about this? Sounds really good.....

What I hope is that this will become another movie with real actors, great sets (and of course fun plot). As opposed to a cartoon or animated movie or all shot in CGI. We'll see... But the return of Heymann bodes well...  :whew:

October 19, 2013, 08:19:31 PM
Reply #14

roonwit

This is almost as exciting as Jo writing it!  :stars: We know that he has the right feel about HP, so why not about this? Sounds really good.....

What I hope is that this will become another movie with real actors, great sets (and of course fun plot). As opposed to a cartoon or animated movie or all shot in CGI. We'll see... But the return of Heymann bodes well...  :whew:
I imagine Jo will have a big input into who directs the movie, what form it is in etc. so the director will be someone Jo is happy with and it will almost certainly have real actors, though I imagine there will be a lot of CGI for example for fantastic beasts, wizard world effects, and probably getting scenery to match the right historic period.
October 20, 2013, 12:04:03 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I imagine Jo will have a big input into who directs the movie, what form it is in etc. so the director will be someone Jo is happy with and it will almost certainly have real actors, though I imagine there will be a lot of CGI for example for fantastic beasts, wizard world effects, and probably getting scenery to match the right historic period.
I realise my post above might be easily misinterpreted. I am not against CGI as such, I think it can add wonderful effects and greatly enhance a film as proven in most HP films, LOTR, and many more films besides. I just think it is great when it is humans who do the brunt of acting as well as not relying extensively on CGI.

In HP the magical creatures were of all kinds: real animals, animatronics, CGI doubles and all CGI. One of my favourite behind the scenes insights from a HP ultimate Edition was to realise that the caged dragon that breathes fire in the forest, when Hagrid takes Olympe and Harry for a walk, was real in so far as it was built!!!  :mcgonagall2: A flame thrower with a dragon head and throat.... that brough "live" action to the set!  :norbert:
December 22, 2013, 11:17:25 PM
Reply #16

BillieMac

August 23, 2014, 11:08:38 AM
Reply #17

siena

I have just read this:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2014/8/22/david-yates-to-direct-fantastic-beast-films

What do you think?

I have to say I'm not keen - the Yates HP films are those I like least  :(
August 23, 2014, 12:13:57 PM
Reply #18

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Aah, interesting...  :hmm: I like the thought that they'd brought in a director who is already familiar with the Wizarding World. Hopefully it means the look and feel of the wizarding world will be recognizable, instead of just another directors touch on it. As this is set in another part of the (geographical) world, with other characters and a different kind of plot, I think there is plenty of room for the story to take on a completely different look and feel from HP as it is. And so it is positive that the backdrop of the wizarding world will be dealt with by someone who has already shot four movies in it.  :thumbup:

I guess I would have been positive towards any HP director, even Cuarón whose take on HP was the one I liked the least. Since he introduced many creatures to us (like Buckbeak and Dementors) and they therefore was close to his visions, and he kept adding more magical creatures (like bats and infinitely annoying talking heads  :annoyed: ) to the film, I thought he was the one most likely to be approached. And yet they have approached Yates, who, I think, is said to work a lot with the human actors' characterizations, I hope this means there are going to be a lot of live actions with humans among all the creatures.  :hagridfriends:

The fact that they'll shoot it at Leavesden, is interesting too. Will the hordes comming for WB's Behind the Magic Exhibition get to glimpse things from the scamander film once it moves into production, or will they be able to separate the areas completely somehow?  :hmm:

I'm looking forwars to more info comming up on imdb.... Although at the moment no one's updated the entry there since March.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:22:47 PM by Evreka »
August 23, 2014, 07:38:12 PM
Reply #19

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
I guess I would have been positive towards any HP director, even Cuarón whose take on HP was the one I liked the least. Since he introduced many creatures to us (like Buckbeak and Dementors) and they therefore was close to his visions, and he kept adding more magical creatures (like bats and infinitely annoying talking heads  :annoyed: ) to the film, I thought he was the one most likely to be approached. And yet they have approached Yates, who, I think, is said to work a lot with the human actors' characterizations, I hope this means there are going to be a lot of live actions with humans among all the creatures.  :hagridfriends:

Aw, I was actually hoping that they would go with Cuaron.  I loved PoA because I felt he added so much to make it much more of a *magical film*   :sirius: and less like a Harry Potter Moovee.  I thought he had the most potential to really bring out the Magic in the magical beasts and their stories.

I'm eager to hear some casting news.  If they could get Tom Hiddleston to play Newt Scamander, I'd be a happy happy girl.  The casts of the HP films have had some of Britain's greatest actors -- which ones haven't they used yet that you'd most like to see become part of the wizarding world? :wizard:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!