January 23, 2018, 04:00:58 AM

Author Topic: The Paparazzi's Princess  (Read 638 times)

September 26, 2013, 08:09:21 AM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
"That's what they do to success: they hunt you down, they tear you down.  That's what envy does, my friend.  The ************* press chased her out that window.
Let her rest in peace, I say.  She's getting peace right now."  (Deeby Macc, p. 63 US hardcover edition)

Even if Deeby Macc was not the best detective, he did know first-hand what kind of relationship Lula Landry likely had with the press.  Made famous by her stunning good looks, she was anointed with a celebrity nickname and robbed of her chance to have a private life, while employed by an industry that didn't hesitate to use her beauty and her suicide-attempt scar for their profit.  Do you think that Lula's character reflects the reality of life for young celebrities?  Did the pressures of her celebrity lifestyle make it easier to believe that she may have killed herself?  How do you think she came to be called "The Cuckoo"?

Why do you think it was so important to Lula to find her birth family?  Why is she committed to finding one half-brother (Jonah Agyeman), but not the others (Marlene's two other sons)?  What do you think motivated her to write a will, leaving everything she owned to Jonah?

Do you think that J.K. Rowling was successful in bringing the character of Lula to life, even though everything we learn about her is seen through the eyes of the other characters?  Do you think that she is a likeable character?

Please feel free to share any other thoughts you have about Lula and her tragically short life right here.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
October 29, 2013, 04:31:28 AM
Reply #1

Eva Hedwig

• Kwite the Kwizzikal Kwiz Kween
I agree that she was robbed of her chance to have a private life. But it was not only the press who gave her a hard life. It was the people arround her also. Her adoptive mother and Guy Somé were much to manipulative because they cared for her and didnt wanted to share her with others. Her adoptive brother John was sucking her blood and every penny he could get out of her.  Her neighbour Fred persued her for getting her into his films and bed.

Why do you think it was so important to Lula to find her birth family?  Why is she committed to finding one half-brother (Jonah Agyeman), but not the others (Marlene's two other sons)?  What do you think motivated her to write a will, leaving everything she owned to Jonah?

Lula was interested in her black relations, she was not interested in her white mother and brothers (which she alredy had in her adopted family) If I would have an abusive brother and have heared that he had killed Charly, I would have been scared also and write my will in case he attempts to kill me also.

Do you think that J.K. Rowling was successful in bringing the character of Lula to life, even though everything we learn about her is seen through the eyes of the other characters?  Do you think that she is a likeable character?

yes, Lula is a likeable character. When I see models, I am looking for her, knowing that its a fictional character.
November 26, 2013, 11:23:40 PM
Reply #2

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
That's a good point about Lula already having contact with white family (her adoptive family); I can see why that would make her more curious to find out more about her black heritage and make contact with some family from that background.  I still wonder though why she wouldn't be interested in trying to find out about her two other half-brothers, who (I believe) also ended up in foster or adoptive homes.  I can't think it would be solely because they were white.  (Actually, do we know if their fathers were white?)  She had white friends and lovers and was quite fond of them.  The only knowledge she has of those brothers is that Marlene is their mother, which is not a exactly a ringing endorsement for their DNA.  ::) But Lula is also Marlene's child, and after all, one of the great things about having siblings is that you have someone to commiserate with about your parents.  ;)  My best guess is Lula concluded that if she made contact with those half-brothers and Marlene caught wind of it, she might continue to try to work her way into Lula's life, and Lula understandably seems to want to avoid this.  Marlene seems only interested in Lula in order to sponge money from her; maybe Lula is afraid that her other half-brothers would be the same way.  :-\

This also might explain why she made her will out to Jonah.  You make an excellent point that, if Lula had just found out that John was responsible for Charlie's death, she might feel that a will was something necessary to have, and promptly.  John had been becoming increasingly argumentative with her, and she may have been afraid for her safety.  It's too bad that she had no one else in whom she felt she could confide her fears, and that those people she did contact were not returning her calls.  She must have felt very alone when she died.  :'(

I agree with you that Lula is a likeable character.  I am impressed that JK Rowling created her in such a way that we really feel we know her, even though we only meet her through others in the story.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!