January 24, 2018, 09:43:51 AM

Author Topic: The Fan Zone  (Read 1299 times)

September 26, 2013, 08:17:21 AM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Whether or not they were aware of the author's true identity when they first read this book, for the most part it picked up almost as many fans as it did readers.  Are you one of them?  Did you enjoy this book, or did it fail to meet your expectations?  Do you have any favorite moments from the story?

Based upon The Cuckoo's Calling, would you be likely to read more books featuring Cormoran Strike?  What sort of storylines or character arcs would you like to see in future books?  Do you think that we will see Ciara Porter or Brian Mathers (the "Death Threat Guy") again?

Do you have any thoughts on the book's title?

Feel free to share any other thoughts on how you really feel about The Cuckoo's Calling right here.  :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
September 28, 2013, 09:06:05 AM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I found out about the true author of this book and the existence of this book at all, at the very same time, through a News post on this site on a the first Sunday after the revelation.

When The Casual Vacancy was announced, I was determined to get it, because it was written by an author I love. And the fact that it was a good deal outside of the kind of books I usually read, wasn't important. But of course, I wasn't quite as thrilled as if it's been a genre I usually read. This time, however, with The Cuckoo's Calling, it felt right on track. I've always felt that it would be very interesting to read a crime story from Jo, given her take on foreshadowing and red herrings. So, once I found out, I was very eager to get it.

I liked the book a great deal when I read it, particularly the characterizations, and the dynamics between Cormoran and Robin. At the same time there was one tiny fact about it that confused me profoundly, making me mix up and relocate two things, which of course was highly relevant things. Upon completion I also felt a little bit "betrayed" because it felt like she'd sprung certain parts of the revelation at us with no clues beforehand. However, afterwards I've started to wonder if not that mix-up might be a very good clue to what was really going on - or at least that something very fishy and odd was under foot. So I look very much forward to rereading it now and see whether I keep mixing those things up, and whether I have the same feeling of having facts sprung at me in the end.   :ron:

Even so, I think Jo went to great lengths to not be recognized as the author and one of the things that might have gone down the the drain for that reason is open humour. Knowing how funny she can be, I wish that aspect of her writing was in this book too, but even without it, it was a good read, I think.  :hermioneread:

September 28, 2013, 09:59:37 AM
Reply #2

JaneMarple9

I found out who "Robert Galbraith" was through the social media - Facebook, Twitter etc. I was impressed at the lengths Jo went to, to try and remain anonymous for a little while before the big reveal.
I waited about a month before purchasing the book - not because it "wasn't my type of book" (in fact, the mystery genre, obviously, is my favourite sort, as well as fantasy!  :D ) but I wanted the hype to die down a little.
I really, really enjoyed the book, though I might not have known about it, if I didn't know it was by Jo. There was a fair bit of humour in it - and I enjoyed it a lot more than The Casual Vacancy - and all the characters were believable. A really good "debut novel" and looking forward to the following book(s) :)

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
September 28, 2013, 12:25:42 PM
Reply #3

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I first heard about the book on Facebook and, once I'd confirmed it wasn't a hoax  ;D , I hit the Buy button on Amazon and downloaded it for my Kindle - I also later bought a hard copy to lend to my sister and also because I know that I'll want to see it and further Galbraith books on my shelves. 

I loved the book but, despite loving a good whodunnit, wouldn't have bought it without knowing its real author because I'm trying to fool myself (somewhat unsuccessfully) that I won't buy any more books until I've got my To Read pile down!  I really liked the characters, not just because they're likeable people but because they're so well drawn, something I always enjoy whether I like them as people or not - it was being able to see the characters in Casual Vacancy as real people (not necessarily nice people but real) that meant I enjoyed reading that one too.

I will definitely be reading future Galbraith books and I'm eagerly awaiting the one that is said to be published next year.  I'd like to see Ciara Porter again, I liked her light, fun attitude and she'd make a good love interest for Strike although a consistent love life probably doesn't fit too well with the usual profile for a private detective.  I'd be surprised to see Brian Mathers again, I think he served his purpose as a decoy and didn't imagine him going further.  I think we'll also see more of Strike's sister, Lucy, she gives his character a lot of background. 

October 07, 2013, 02:26:51 PM
Reply #4

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I liked the book a great deal when I read it, particularly the characterizations, and the dynamics between Cormoran and Robin.
Yes! I love a well-written platonic relationship between people of different sexes and I certainly hope that Cormoran and Robin won't end up getting together, even though I have a difficult time believing in Matthew and Robin's relationship, but hopefully (if the ending of the book is any indication) Matthew will come around and see what is truly important to Robin in her choice of career/work. And I hope that Matthew and Strike will meet at some point - 'cause that should be hilarious  :fredgeorge:

I'm one of the HP fans who picked this book up because it's Jo Rowling, I don't think I would have read a contemporary crime/mystery story otherwise. I don't think I've read a book of this sub-genre before, actually. It took me some 100 pages to get into it, but after that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll read the next Cormoran Strike book as well. I hope Robin and Strike become a sort of more equal partnership as opposed to detective/assistant relationship and I hope Robin's flair for the detective business will fully blossom and with that she'll sort of find herself as well.

One of my favourite aspects of this story is how diverse the cast of characters is and how unique and well-constructed each of them is and I hope the future books keep this up.
October 10, 2013, 01:08:25 AM
Reply #5

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Based upon the work JK Rowling has done with creating characters and clever plotting, when I discovered that she had written a crime novel I thought it was a great fit!  I think I enjoyed getting to know the characters and their stories more than I liked the 'mystery' aspect of the story, though that part was also quite good.  :)

I'm one of the HP fans who picked this book up because it's Jo Rowling, I don't think I would have read a contemporary crime/mystery story otherwise.
Me also; I don't usually read crime novels, but I did enjoy this one.  I believe though that I would still want to read more Cormoran Strike books even if I had not known the author's true identity, based upon the strength of The Cuckoo's Calling.

...I'd like to see Ciara Porter again, I liked her light, fun attitude and she'd make a good love interest for Strike although a consistent love life probably doesn't fit too well with the usual profile for a private detective.  I'd be surprised to see Brian Mathers again, I think he served his purpose as a decoy and didn't imagine him going further.  I think we'll also see more of Strike's sister, Lucy, she gives his character a lot of background. 
It was really fun seeing Strike get personal with Ciara Porter, but she seems like the kind of girl who likes to have fun more than she likes relationships, so I'm not sure if we'll see her again.  Plus, she's more part of Lula's story, and I don't know how much of that will carry forward to Book Two.  I wonder if Brian Mathers will become sort of a running joke though, if he will keep sending his letters and they will provide some dark humor.  I agree that we'll see more of Lucy; you're right that we learn a lot about Strike through her.  She is a bit of a talker!  It was also nice to see the scene with Strike and his nephew, who seemed proud that his uncle was a soldier.  I'd like to see that side of Strike explored some more.

... And I hope that Matthew and Strike will meet at some point - 'cause that should be hilarious  :fredgeorge:
I hadn't thought about that, but I think you're right!  ;D I wonder if the "green dress incident" will come up....  ::)

... and I hope Robin's flair for the detective business will fully blossom and with that she'll sort of find herself as well.
I really agree; I loved this part of Robin's character, that she was daring to follow her secret ambition, and I think that Strike has been very supportive so far.  He's also sharp enough to realize that Robin has some real talent.  :sherlock:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
November 24, 2013, 03:24:25 PM
Reply #6

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I liked the book a great deal when I read it, .... At the same time there was one tiny fact about it that confused me profoundly, making me mix up and relocate two things, which of course was highly relevant things. Upon completion I also felt a little bit "betrayed" because it felt like she'd sprung certain parts of the revelation at us with no clues beforehand. However, afterwards I've started to wonder if not that mix-up might be a very good clue to what was really going on - or at least that something very fishy and odd was under foot. So I look very much forward to rereading it now and see whether I keep mixing those things up, and whether I have the same feeling of having facts sprung at me in the end.   :ron:
I finished my re-read of the book several weeks ago, and this time I payed attention to how exactly the flats are located in the house. On my original read of the book, I kept relocating the Bestigui flat with the empty one, and the frustratingly open clue, where Cormoran tells Robin that something is fishy (or that he has an idea of what really happened) as a result of looking at the photo described as taken from the night of the fall in the very beginning was driving me mad, because it meant nothing to me. Then, when Cormoran confronts Mr Bestigui on where exactly his wife really was that night, I felt betrayed as it was seemingly sprung from nowhere; but that's only half true. On the photo in question, only one balcony is packed with things, leaving no room to stand at: the middle one. But when Cormoran and Robin visits the house, it is just the Bestigui balcony that is packed with various pots, leaving no room to stand at. Now, if this hadn't been penned by Jo, this would likely not be relevant - seeing as people are quite likely to rearrange things on their balconies in three months time (from winter to early spring), but as it is Jo.... it isn't fair to claim it was sprung from nowhere. She did change things on those balconies right in front of our noses!  :fredgeorge:

So I definitely take back the "betrayed" sense from the first read through.  :harry:

Was I the only one to get confused by the balconies? Did the rest of you realise the significance and/or guessed where Tansy had been?  :crabbegoyle:
November 25, 2013, 03:42:53 PM
Reply #7

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
Was I the only one to get confused by the balconies? Did the rest of you realise the significance and/or guessed where Tansy had been?  :crabbegoyle:
I wasn't really confused by the balconies, not that I can recall anyway. I don't know that I guessed where Tansy had been during the time of Cuckoo's fall, but her story's apparent contradiction of facts was the thing that bothered me most throughout the book. I guessed that she must've been some place outside of the apartment, though I couldn't think of what it might be. So, when I read that it was the balcony, it was, like, duh, of course! kind of moment.