July 22, 2018, 07:39:26 PM

Poll

Author Topic: Poll: Who is your new favorite?  (Read 744 times)

September 27, 2013, 12:38:02 AM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
If you are a fan of J.K. Rowling, you may already have developed some favorites from the inhabitants of her previous stories.  :trio: With the arrival of The Cuckoo's Calling, we are introduced to a new cast of characters to know and love!  Whom amongst the characters in this book did you enjoy the most?  Do you think that we'll be likely see them in any future Cormoran Strike mysteries?  Please post below to tell us about your favorites, and what has made them so appealing to you.

Since there are so many from which to choose, you are welcome to select more than one.  :)

:sherlock:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
September 27, 2013, 07:24:04 PM
Reply #1

JaneMarple9

My favourite characters are definitely Cormoran and Robin. They interact so well together, they make the perfect team. For me, Robin is far too nice and intelligent for her boyfriend. Maybe she wouldn't be suitable for Cormoran, but she could do a lot better  ;D I really hope to see Cormoran and Robin investigating again

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
September 28, 2013, 12:51:40 PM
Reply #2

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I really liked Cormoran and Robin because they work well together as a team, he appreciates her organisational skills and intelligence and is happy to involve her in his work whereas she appreciates his hard work and dedication and attention to detail but recognises that there are boundaries between them to ensure his privacy and uses her discretion to be a good assistant while still observing those boundaries.  Cormoran also recognises the need for boundaries but he's less successful at observing them without causing offence.  It's a subtle disparity that I think helps to make them realistic not because it's gender-related but because making them both equal would be too neat.

I liked Ciara because she seemed like someone who's honest and caring, has a sense of fun and was generally a well-rounded character.  I also voted for Lucy because I think she's a good character to give some background to Coromoran's character without always resorting to Coromoran's memories, she's also the nearest thing to a caring influence in his life which shows that he's someone who should be cared about. 

In a way I also liked Matthew as a character because I didn't like him as a person (if that makes sense) - I didn't like his dismissal of Robin's "naive and misplaced admiration" for Cormoran without ever having met him, it suggested that his opinion of Robin's judgement was very low and didn't meet with the view that we saw of her.  She certainly deserves someone much better.  I love it when an author can instill strong feelings of admiration or dislike for someone who doesn't even exist. 

September 28, 2013, 03:04:03 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
My favourite characters, having read the book only once, are Cormoran and Robin. I liked them as characters, and the intricate relationship they have, where they both try to show how much they respect each other, while allowing the other a certain room of privacy (for want of a better description) was great fun to read and made them feel very real. Yet neither is without flaw, and while not all of their choices necessarily are well guided (Why do you love Matthew of all people, Robin? You could do so much better!  :fredgeorge: ) they are both true to what they believe in which I admire and really like!  :hug:
September 28, 2013, 05:46:26 PM
Reply #4

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I guess I am with the majority here. I loved Cormoran and Robin too. They are very interesting, believable characters with flaws and desires that are very 'real'. I liked that JKR gave us so much background on both of them - just enough to peak our interest. I am very sure there is much more underlying there than we as readers know just yet.