December 19, 2018, 08:27:58 AM

Author Topic: Comfort Watch  (Read 1450 times)

September 30, 2013, 11:30:40 AM

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I don't know how about you, but whenever I feel a bit down or a long day has been just a little bit too much or when it's cold and grey outside, in addition to / instead of eating comfort food, I like to put on a cosy episode of a TV show or a film. Do you do that also? Which films / TV shows do you pick? Why? Do you pick different kinds of food to go with different TV/film choices?

Let me start :luna:

My favourite things to watch (or things I watch most often) on the above mentioned circumstances are Gilmore Girls (the first half of season 4 and the middle of season 6, especially) and Love Actually.

I just love Gilmore Girls! But for the comfort purposes I especially love fun light episodes without high stakes and minimal fighting, I just like hanging out with Rory and Lorelai, so to speak. And all that junk food they eat, it's excellent company ;D I've been watching it a lot lately to keep homesickness at bay - it works so far :)

As for Love Actually - first, I love Christmas-set films, second I love light pre-relationship angst, and it's also pretty light, fluffy and funny.

October 01, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
Reply #1

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
I like Love, Actually as a comfort watch but only in December and early January as a rule  ;D

I have a ranking of rainy day films! For the slightly grey, a little down times I have The Amazing Spider-man and some of the more lighthearted episodes of Doctor Who :tardis: and the wonderful BBC Miss Marple series with Joan Hickson. Then there's How to Train Your Dragon, Star Trek the 2009 film, Wall-E and finally The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition extras in order of increasing down-ness/intensity of rain. I think that covers it!

So basically fantasy escapism and/or childrens' films :) I think origins stories for comic book heroes like that spider-man one, and you could also include the Star Trek film with that, is kind of comforting and happy, leaving you with the promising adventures to come. Oh and I also have the odd murder with Miss Marple but somehow that series makes everything alright anyway! Most of my comfort films are to be accompanied by diet coke and maybe chocolate, though with Miss Marple lemonade and a slice of cake is also very fine. 8)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:29:01 PM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
October 04, 2013, 01:00:36 PM
Reply #2

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I like Love, Actually as a comfort watch but only in December and early January as a rule  ;D
I usually put it on the day we get the first snow and may be watching it until Easter, then it starts to feel weird ;D

I don't really think of LotR or Star Trek 2009 as comfort films, but I love them and watch them (especially in the case of LotR) quite often.

Personally, I mostly make some sort of breakfast (for dinner) food to go with my comfort watching, like, pancakes or French toast. Either that or mac&cheese :fredgeorge:

I used to watch Doctor Who a lot for comfort too - especially the Christmas specials and Matt Smith's first season, but I've been feeling a decline in the overall quality of the show (which is a topic for the Doctor Who thread ;) ) and for some reason it puts me off watching even the older episodes I love.

And I know what you mean about watching murder mysteries for comfort - when I'm sick, for some reason I like to watch crime shows, especially Criminal Minds. I don't know what's up with that :madeye: Maybe there's knowing that it'll all work out in the end or something. Also, those crime solvers are usually all sentimental and mushy behind the tough exteriors, it's cheesy and sweet - just what I need for comfort sometimes.
January 18, 2014, 11:45:02 PM
Reply #3

LillianJames

For  relaxing short term--not in the mood for a movie--Doc Martin.  Love the characters and relationships and the scenery can't be beat!
Lillian James
March 26, 2014, 06:14:52 PM
Reply #4

siena

I must say I'm rather looking forward to seeing the new Muppets film Muppets Most Wanted.

I have decided that the films that I have been seeing lately have all been gloomy, and now I'm up for a nice, comforting evening with Kermit and Miss Piggy (although there is rather a lot of tension in that particular relationship  ;D

I enjoyed the last Muppets film very much, and hope the new one will be just as good.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:20:09 PM by siena »
March 26, 2014, 07:56:05 PM
Reply #5

Laura W

Any of you who read my rather indepth review of the last Muppet movie on Leaky know how much I liked it on several levels.  I wonder about this new one though.  From what I have seen in the trailers and read about it, I don't know if I want to see it.  Somehow, it just doesn't appeal to me so much.  Haven't decided yet.  :hmm:

Funny about Doc Martin.  As much as I usually really like those Brit series on PBS, that does not extend to Doc Martin.  I have tried to watch it several times over the years - two or three episodes  in a row, to really get the feel of it - and, quite frankly i find it to be unbelievably annoying!  Not just his character (although mainly his character), but many of the other characters as well.  I know it is a very popular series in the UK and among American and Canadian PBS fans, but I cannot watch it.  Oh well.

Laura
friend of pbs

-----------------------

siena, I don't know if you have seen Frozen yet, but I would recommend it.
March 29, 2014, 11:53:51 AM
Reply #6

siena

Any of you who read my rather indepth review of the last Muppet movie on Leaky know how much I liked it on several levels.  I wonder about this new one though.  From what I have seen in the trailers and read about it, I don't know if I want to see it.  Somehow, it just doesn't appeal to me so much.  Haven't decided yet.  :hmm:

Laura
friend of pbs

-----------------------

siena, I don't know if you have seen Frozen yet, but I would recommend it.

You are right to be cautious. I saw Muppets Most Wanted yesterday and it wasn't that good. And it is almost as if the makers know this as well: One of the opening songs is titled Sequels are never that good   ;)
But it wasn't entirely bad, just not that good. Kermit has a hard time in it, as he gets crudely replaced by his doppelganger Konstantine, the world's most dangerous frog. And as if that wasn't enough, his friends don't even notice. Only Miss Piggy and Walter (I'm glad he is still in it) find there is something not quite right. It is a story about being let down by your friends.

Yes, I remember your review  :)  You and another member showed quite extensive background knowledge about the makers of the Muppets. But unfortunately we can't retrieve any of the old posts  :annoyed:

Frozen is no longer showing in my city unfortunately.  I didn't see it because I don't really fancy these computer animated cartoons. I enjoyed the old fashioned, hand-drawn Disney films like The Lady and the Tramp, The Fox and the Hound (that one I loved in particular) and The Beauty and the Beast. I just think the figures expressed more emotions in these films. However, I did like Jim Carrey's A Christmas Charol (2009). But as far as I remember that one was done differently - they used real actors (Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Jim Carrey) and scanned their movements and expressions to create the animations. I rather loved it.

Anyway, since you said you liked Frozen it must be worthwile. I saw a trailer in which cute snowmen were melting, it did look endearing. Maybe I can catch it at some later point.

P.S. I have just read an online review about Muppets Most Wanted by Brian Viner on www.dailymail.co.uk and have to edit myself: The opening song is called We're Doing A Sequel ...sorry ! But it does contain the line Sequels are never that good ... and another: Let's give it a shot / All we need is a half-decent plot as a Busby Berkely homage.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:44:08 PM by siena »
March 29, 2014, 08:24:41 PM
Reply #7

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone

I loved Frozen. It really is close to an old Disney classic. Our cinemas are now running Sing-along sessions that are packed with adults and children. It really is a delightful movie.
-----------------------

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:27:58 PM by RiverSpirit »

March 29, 2014, 08:52:59 PM
Reply #8

Laura W

siena,

If you don't like computer generated animation, I would highly recommend you NOT go see Frozen.  It is extremely computer generated.  As I wrote in my review, perhaps a little too much so. Very over-the-top on that (which also made it very beautiful visually).   

If you can't get past that to appreciate the story line, the humour, the message of the movie, the interesting characters (allowing that these characters are written for children), the dialogue, the pathos, the music, etc., I certainly understand. Some things are important to some people and are not so important to others.  Right?  (Like, I do NOT accept that the students in movie Hogwarts ever would be wearing Muggle clothes when not in the presence of Muggles or that a boy with perpetually messy hair suddenly has neat hair (whether it be long neat as in earlier movies, or short neat in later movies); just to give two of a thousand examples of movie changes from the books that I could give.  This stuff is obviously totally unimportant to many, many millions of HP fans, but it is not unimportant to me. c'est la vie.)  You might find computer animation enough to not want you to see a Disney movie.  I get it, and understand.  Then I would take Frozen off your list. 

By the way, I thought the snowman was adorable too.  (hee, hee) And, in my opinion, an important part of the plot development.  His name is Olaf by the way.  (That's not really a spoiler.)  And his song about looking forward to summer - yep! - might be my favourite in the movie.  :lol:

Laura    :snowman:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:50:42 AM by Laura W »
June 03, 2014, 12:31:49 AM
Reply #9

siena

I have just watched another Disney production and I enjoyed it immensely: Maleficent.
The sreenplay is by the brilliant Linda Woolverton, who also scripted The Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King among other productions.

I thought the idea to tell the Sleeping Beauty story from the adversary's point of view worked very well. We learn how Maleficent became as bitter as she was, and Angelina Jolie plays her magnificently as menacing and vulnerable at the same time. Jolie's daughter Vivienne has a cameo as the very young Princess Aurora and she is soo adorable (and looks so  like Brad Pitt  ;D). Imelda Staunton and Lesley Manville delight as fairies, and handsome Sam Riley is a shapeshifter called Diaval who is in service to Maleficent.

There is a brilliant twist to the ending of the story as well that I will not reveal here. It has something to do with true love and is more moving than the original by far in my opinion.

Do go and see the film - I bet you will have a very delightful evening  :flower: