April 26, 2018, 07:58:19 PM

Author Topic: Here We Go A NaNo-ing …!  (Read 2749 times)

October 25, 2013, 10:44:58 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Here We Go A NaNo-ing …!
Are we crazy?

Yes it is that time of year again. Fall brings the pretty leaves and thoughts of the upcoming holidays, but before we get there – YIKES! It’s NaNoWriMo month! For those of you not familiar with this craziness NaNoWriMO stands for National Write a Novel in a Month. The entire month of November is dedicated to this frazzling, dazzling exercise. Specifically the challenge is to write 50,000 words for a novel (Play, poetry or whatever) in a month. People from all over the world are encouraged to sign up at http://nanowrimo.org/ to join the parade of writers and wanna-be writers.

The basic idea is to get a first draft of the Novel that you always wanted to write – you know the one you always thought was a great idea and always said, “Someday I want to write a novel about that….” Well now is the time for all good men (and women) to put your booty in the chair and DO IT!

This thread is for all of the crazy ones who are answering this challenging call. And it is also for those who want to egg cheer   :bravo: us on in our daily quest for that elusive 1613 (+/-) words per day. (Not as easy as it sounds!) Come join in and post about your progress and difficulties. Come here to get and give encouragement too!

Some things we can talk about here:
~ What do you plan to write about?
 ~ Have you done this before? If so, how did you do? What is your best advice to writers just starting out?
~ What is your favorite way: (1) to get out of sitting down and writing?  (2) To bribe yourself into sitting down and writing?
~ How do you turn off your inner editor?

Any and all things writerly are encouraged! Now Go, sign up - then WRITE! (And don't forget to tell us how it is going!)

October 26, 2013, 07:04:27 AM
Reply #1

Maraudingdon

• Musings of a Penniless Writer
It's a NaNoNoNo from me!

I've tried it twice - failed twice.

My inner editor is just too strong; I have to revise as I write. I've also got two WIPs on the go as it is, I'm about to start revisions for my editor, and my agent is revising book two in the series we've just sold. So a fifth project is beyond my superhuman capabilities  ;)

I will be here though with cheerleading Pom-Poms for those who are doing it. To be able to word vomit without stopping is impressive.
October 27, 2013, 12:12:41 AM
Reply #2

varza

• Varzaland
I have always wanted to but never get to do NaNoWriMo and once again not this year.

Good luck to everyone!!!!
I am everywhere....
October 31, 2013, 12:39:26 AM
Reply #3

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
In readying myself for NaNo I have downloaded YWriter5. Has anyone else tried this? I used it back in 2009 (an older version) and found it to be helpful for NaNo. Before I tried using it -after I downloaded it the other day (It's free) - I went to YouTube and found some great tutorials on how to start a new project and the many things you can do with it. I like using it for NaNo because it keeps track of your chapters, scenes and characters and any items that are pertinent to your story - like I have a toy that I want to be a subtle background reference in the story I am trying to write so I want to keep track of where I reference it. Currently I am putting in all the major and minor characters so that when I am writing all I have to do is click the character button and I can check out the particulars about a character - like age, description and relationship to the major players of the book. That saves me a whole lot of time so I don't have to keep looking up that stuff in my notebooks as I write.

I made sure today to tell my friends that I am writing during the month of November because I need for them to bug me about it in order to keep me going. Honestly it does help to have someone going 'Rah-rah, you can do it' when it get so hard to sit down and continue writing.

What kinds of things are you doing to prepare for the crazy month of November to write your masterpiece?
November 02, 2013, 10:43:48 PM
Reply #4

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Oh goodness! Please tell me I am not the only crazy person around here doing NaNo? I started off at the stroke of midnight on the first and so far have written 2271 words which puts me in pretty good shape when I hit a snag! I actually have more written but it's not typed so I am sure my word count will go up tonight. It's really a hoot to write like this with a goal of a daily word count and knowing that you have a limited time to do it. Of course it isn't exactly pretty yet but that is what editing is all about! If anyone else who reads this is writing for NaNo - don't forget to back up your work! I have been emailing it to myself, then I put all the emails into a folder to store. That way I always have access to them from any computer. Good Luck everyone. Keep writing!
November 03, 2013, 05:28:41 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
At the moment I am not in a position where I can spend large amounts of any day in front of a computer (which is why I am so absent from DS), so NaNoWriMo is definitely nothing for me this year. However, I'd love to get back in the habit of writing down ideas and thoughts and other minor things, which was awhile since I last did. So, I thought I might take the inspirational cue from this excercise and see if I might get back into writing smaller such things down as I go about every day life. We'll see how that goes.

That said, i am in awe of those of you who take this seriously and committ yourself to this goal. You rock!  :bravo: Whether you reach the day count or not - rising to the challenge is awsome!

And HealerOne, you're a published author! You can definitely do this if you set yourself on to it! Go, lady!  :hug:
November 03, 2013, 06:41:43 PM
Reply #6

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
HealerOne, you're not alone. I am Nano-ing, too. However, I'm not doing a novel or similar, but using it as an incentive for my article writing for OMtimes. I have just passed the 5k mark today and have drafted two articles and have done two chunks of inspired writing (let it just flow and see what comes out) which has uncovered two more article topics. It's really lovely to get into the flow of things.

Starting tomorrow it'll get more tough though, as I am back to teaching three afternoons. So it'll be more tricky to find the time to sit down and keep the rhythm going. But here's hoping. And yes, I'm crazy – but that's no news anymore.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
November 04, 2013, 07:54:12 PM
Reply #7

varza

• Varzaland
If I can count my school work - I would be doing it. I have written about 3K for school on papers and project submissions. I keep reading about the updates.
I am everywhere....
November 05, 2013, 09:26:20 AM
Reply #8

Maraudingdon

:bravo: GO GO NANO-ERS!!!

How are you all doing? In previous years I've found that first week is a bit of an adrenaline rush. Then you realise you have another three weeks and the doubts creep in.

YOU CAN DO IT  :hearts:
November 06, 2013, 12:19:45 AM
Reply #9

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Good of you to ask! I have been busily devoting a huge hunk of my time to NaNo, so other things are getting put on the back burner which is difficult. I am so far keeping up with the word count but find I am not writing as much each day so my 'lead' in word count is slowly dwindling. I had to stop a good while today while I did some much needed research to make sure I was getting my facts straight. This means I will need to rewrite just a little bit of the last chapter which makes me feel better. I was thinking I might have to toss out that whole last chapter!  :(  Nevertheless at least the story is taking better shape than when it was just in my head!
November 06, 2013, 07:14:25 AM
Reply #10

varza

• Varzaland
Keep it up! You can do it!!!!

I am everywhere....
November 10, 2013, 10:02:47 PM
Reply #11

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
It went very good for me until this weekend hit. I've pretty much not writtne a word since Friday, so my lead has vanished. We'll see if I can catch up, but even so my aim is less the 50k but to keep a fluidity in writing.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
November 13, 2013, 03:20:58 PM
Reply #12

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Yesterday, I went on an all day excursion to the Ringling Museum in Sarasota (Fl). Wrote in my notebook but didn't type a word into my word count.  :( - I'm not exactly behind ... but I feel like I am. Back to the 'nose to the grindstone' today! The one good thing about this was that I decided one of my not so likable characters would confess that in her past she had been a clown!  ;D
November 20, 2013, 04:23:52 PM
Reply #13

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Thought you might want an update. I am on my 13th chapter and have 34,900+ words! It's rush to do this and certainly puts your feet to the fire to write! The story seems to be going a bit slow as far as advancing the plot, but I have just really gotten into the good parts now! I find a trick that helps to get writing is to set a timer for an hour and then write like crazy during that time. Then I can get up and do other things for awhile and come back later.  It just makes you concentrate and not get all hung up on what words to use or unnecessary research!
I sure hope anyone else doing NANo is hanging in there too!
December 01, 2013, 12:11:11 PM
Reply #14

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
So, how did it sum up for those of you who participated?  :crabbegoyle:
December 03, 2013, 05:41:57 PM
Reply #15

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Ah now I can come up for air! The NaNo experiment is again over and I was a winner - of sorts ... I wrote over 57000 words with about 17 chapters in a manuscript, however the story isn't finished! Since NaNo stopped I have written two more chapters and just under 60,000 words. I think I have about 2 or 3 more chapters to go. I have tried to hurry along the story but my characters are very chatty! It has been hard, enlightening and I must say fun to do NaNo again. I learned a lot of tricks like using a timer on me(!) and to keep saying "... and then ..." so that the story came to life in a coherent progression!

I really want to thank all of you for keeping tabs on my progress. Writing tends to be very solitary work, but when you know you have others behind you that want you to succeed - well it helps tremendously when you think every word you typed stinks! It gives you that extra nudge to write yourself out of the forest and into light. So Thanks everyone!  :hearts:
December 23, 2013, 12:37:51 AM
Reply #16

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I was totally taken by surprise yesterday when I received my Winner's Shirt from NaNoWriMo. I don't think I ordered it, but who knows?  I was in such a fog with writing so much I don't remember much. If the web site sent it as a congrats thing that's nice too. The only thing is the T-Shirt is black and I look terrible in black plus in Florida - black is not a pleasant color to wear unless it's under 70 degrees (F) out! .... (Sigh, what a whiner!) I am happy that I at least deserve the Winner shirt!  :)
October 30, 2014, 03:51:37 PM
Reply #17

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Ha! Another year has passed by and here we are again! Can you believe it? I still have the 2nd draft of the manuscript I did last year sitting in my living room waiting to be edited - by me! Yikes! What am I thinking signing up to do this again? I must be crazy - but then again you only live once and NaNo is such a great challenge that I am having a hard time not taking part! This year I have the idea to do an epistolary novel about a family who finds they are going to be parents of a child with Down Syndrome. This is not the story you think it is, because it doesn't end well, but I do hope that it brings some closure to families that have struggled when bad things happen to good kids. Gotta go and work on an outline  ....

Anyone else thinking of taking the Challenge?
October 30, 2014, 06:54:37 PM
Reply #18

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
At the moment I would love to get back in the habit of writing short, more or less whimsical stories just for the fun of it again... I think I better start that up again before I even consider writing a larger project, however much as a hobby. But it's great to see you so determined again! Good luck!  :thumbup:
November 01, 2014, 06:37:55 AM
Reply #19

Maraudingdon

No NaNoing for me, but I'm always impressed by those that go for it. Best wishes for those word counts.