December 13, 2017, 12:50:37 PM

Author Topic: Here We Go A NaNo-ing …!  (Read 2151 times)

November 06, 2014, 03:05:08 AM
Reply #20

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Ha! Another year has passed by and here we are again! Can you believe it? I still have the 2nd draft of the manuscript I did last year sitting in my living room waiting to be edited - by me! Yikes! What am I thinking signing up to do this again? I must be crazy - but then again you only live once and NaNo is such a great challenge that I am having a hard time not taking part! This year I have the idea to do an epistolary novel about a family who finds they are going to be parents of a child with Down Syndrome. This is not the story you think it is, because it doesn't end well, but I do hope that it brings some closure to families that have struggled when bad things happen to good kids. Gotta go and work on an outline  ....

Anyone else thinking of taking the Challenge?

Wow that sounds like a great story, there, though tough. I'm taking the challenge but am far, far behind. More thinking of this as a trial run for my first attempt! Writing a fantasy book I've had in my head in some form or another since I was about 8 years old. Though my word count is way behind in a way I probably can't catch up I'm still happy to be writing anything at all, really.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
November 06, 2014, 03:17:50 PM
Reply #21

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Oh nellythemarrow! Don't give up! I too am absolutely way behind and I don't think I have prayer to catch up. But I still want to at least sketch out this plot. The characters are being very elusive and I need to step back and write a bit more about them before I can go on. Really the challenge is about getting down a plot more than getting the 50,000 words, so  just write down what you can and be proud that you have put your fingers to the keyboard! Then keep writing after the NaNo is over. The story never gets written if you don't do the writing!
November 06, 2014, 07:20:57 PM
Reply #22

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Writing a fantasy book I've had in my head in some form or another since I was about 8 years old. Though my word count is way behind in a way I probably can't catch up I'm still happy to be writing anything at all, really.
Wow, that sounds fascinating!  :thumbup: How much of the plot are you aware of at the start or is more the idea as such that you'd had in your head for so long?

Good luck to all those who are writing!
November 13, 2014, 04:07:16 PM
Reply #23

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:'( Real life has hit me hard and I just made no progress with NaNo this year. I'm sad about that but not discouraged. I have plenty to write about as my Writing Group keeps challenging me to write short stories and I am enjoying that. The short stories seem to get written: the longer stories are much harder for now. There is always next year! Nellie and anyone else taking the challenge - best of luck! There is not much more satisfying than finishing up the challenge of 50,000 words and having a great start on the story you wanted to tell all these years!
November 27, 2014, 05:33:57 PM
Reply #24

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Writing a fantasy book I've had in my head in some form or another since I was about 8 years old. Though my word count is way behind in a way I probably can't catch up I'm still happy to be writing anything at all, really.
Wow, that sounds fascinating!  :thumbup: How much of the plot are you aware of at the start or is more the idea as such that you'd had in your head for so long?
Well it's more the idea. The plot's been torn apart too many times, I now just don't have one at all. Unfortunately I still don't have one, as I very quickly tailed off and stopped writing altogether this month! Oh well  :ashamed:

Oh nellythemarrow! Don't give up! I too am absolutely way behind and I don't think I have prayer to catch up. But I still want to at least sketch out this plot. The characters are being very elusive and I need to step back and write a bit more about them before I can go on. Really the challenge is about getting down a plot more than getting the 50,000 words, so  just write down what you can and be proud that you have put your fingers to the keyboard! Then keep writing after the NaNo is over. The story never gets written if you don't do the writing!
I'm so bad at just doing the writing! This time of year is never a productive one for me anyway but I've been even worse than normal!

:'( Real life has hit me hard and I just made no progress with NaNo this year. I'm sad about that but not discouraged. I have plenty to write about as my Writing Group keeps challenging me to write short stories and I am enjoying that. The short stories seem to get written: the longer stories are much harder for now. There is always next year! Nellie and anyone else taking the challenge - best of luck! There is not much more satisfying than finishing up the challenge of 50,000 words and having a great start on the story you wanted to tell all these years!
I hope I'll be able to experience that another year. Or at least to get halfway... or even a quarter of the way... I should probably look into other things like writing groups as that seems to encourage you. I'm too good at making up all the excuses to not write.

I'm mildly encouraged by seeing that an author I like, Patrick Rothfuss, failed too in 2011, though he did far better than me. (His blog about it: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/11/fanmail-faq-nanowrimo/ http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/12/nanowrimo-epilogue/ <- links contain swearwords, is that allowed? Can't see it specifically mentioned in the rules but my concentration is awful right now.)

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
November 28, 2014, 03:38:19 AM
Reply #25

ginginkat

• Forum Moderator
Nellythemarrow,

I do not see anything wrong with the link you want to use.  Even with the swear words in the title, the topic could benefit from the discussion regarding a fellow author's blog. 

And I agree with HealerOne, don't give up on your own writing  :thumbup:

Ginginkat
November 08, 2015, 03:27:53 PM
Reply #26

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Is anyone involved in this, this year? If so, and if you feel like sharing, what is your current project? And how is it going?
November 08, 2015, 04:28:36 PM
Reply #27

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:) Sigh I am again doing NaNoWriMo, but differently than I have ever done it before. Last year I wrote a novel that I really put a lot of heart into. But after NaNo, I wrote another draft and then it sat on my table for months and months. I would periodically start work on it thinking I had the right formula to get the story put together better. Still, it sat there looking at me forlornly ... That brings us to this year's NaNo. I decided to use this time frame to edit and revise the story again. Of course my word count is great as I go through each chapter - adding and cutting and correcting. But the thing is that NaNo inspires me to DO IT! Not only that but to do it within a time frame. Wish me luck!
November 25, 2015, 05:06:50 AM
Reply #28

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
;D I made it through the third draft of the book I am writing!  :stars:  I never would have gotten the 'fire' under me had it not been for NaNo! The word count for me wasn't the issue this time - I easily made that, as I was mainly editing, but rewriting scenes also. I am technically a 'winner', but it wasn't a new book. No matter, it still is done!  :P  Now for the hard work of seeing if I can get an agent... or whether I self publish again.
November 25, 2015, 08:13:34 PM
Reply #29

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
;D I made it through the third draft of the book I am writing!  :stars:  I never would have gotten the 'fire' under me had it not been for NaNo! The word count for me wasn't the issue this time - I easily made that, as I was mainly editing, but rewriting scenes also. I am technically a 'winner', but it wasn't a new book. No matter, it still is done!  :P  Now for the hard work of seeing if I can get an agent... or whether I self publish again.
Congratulations for finishing it!  :stars: :yay:

And good luck with finding an agent!  :goodluck: