June 22, 2018, 04:17:27 AM

Author Topic: Digital Disasters, Computer Confusions or Nerd Knowledge Needed?  (Read 4355 times)

December 17, 2013, 10:11:36 PM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Digital Disasters, Computer Confusions
or Nerd Knowledge Needed?

Tips, Help and Advices on Computer Issues

If you use computers long enough you are bound to occasionally want to throw them in the nearest wall, out a window or similar violent approach when the computer, web browser, Internet, web site or other related object just refuses to do your bidding.  :furious:  I think we've all been there...

Do you have a juicy story about your computer (or web browser, Internet, web site or other related object) acting up on you, possibly at the worst possible time or when you were in a hurry? Come share it, as shared pain is only half the pain.

Another reason to share our pains, is in the hope that someone might be able to help us. What constitutes an obstacle like Mount Everest, or at least Kilimanjaro, for one might be a pebble for another. Even to our more tekkie nerdy members, there might be some areas where help is needed and that someone else might be better at? All in all we might be able to learn, or get help, from each other.   :hug:

Let's just keep two things in mind:
  • If you need help or advices regarding this site, DS, please go to the Lost & Found board instead. This is so we keep everything related to our own site in one place.
  • Also, please note that the tips, advices, help and so on given here, whoever gives it, are not professional such, and you follow them at your own risk.

Oh, and if you wonder how I could start a new thread now on such an early date, the answer is by magic...  :fredgeorge: I plan to move some posts over here, and this first post needed to come at the top of the thread... You don't have to understand this ....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:05:06 PM by Evreka »

July 02, 2014, 10:14:20 PM
Reply #1

BillieMac

Mine is a website problem.

There's a page on Facebook called The Mayne Island Buy and Sell. Handy for finding and unloading things but--
Facebook's security protocols for signing up aren't very good.

Someone I know in Vancouver was able to use my e-mail address to get himself a Facebook page. (The fact that he can't get one with his own address is suspicious in itself.) I first discovered this when Facebook e-mailed me a change of password notice in his name.
I went to their public access page and reported him, and received a reply that they'd taken care of it, and thought no more about it until I decided to sign on to access the  Mayne Island Buy and Sell page.

They haven't taken care of it. I'm blocked from registering with Facebook, because I can't prove I'm this guy. When I tried to register, I don't know his password, and my information doesn't match what they have for my e-address. Their own security protocol consisted of showing me a bunch of photos he'd posted and telling me to identify the people in it. I could identify one. 
He claims that his account was spooffed (whatever that means), but one of the pics was a selfie. Spooffed, my A.

I tried to complain again, but they seem to have eliminated the public access page. I also tried to complain to yahoo, but couldn't find a place to report there either- even after I signed in.

So, bottom line, does anyone know what I can do about this?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:16:30 PM by BillieMac »
July 04, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
Reply #2

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I don't get this at all...  :crabbegoyle: I'm affraid I need more info to be able to offer advices on how to handle the problems on the site, so here goes:
  • Can you access YOUR Facebook account?
  • Is that linked to another amail address from the one he used?
  • How do you know "his" account is still linked to YOUR email?

However, as he ever used your email account to do things, you should do the following IMEDIATELY or ASAP:

Change password on your email (the one he used). And make sure your new password is strong: Minimum 7 or 8 characters; use both CAPITAL letters, small letters, digits and preferrably also at least one other character.

July 04, 2014, 09:37:04 PM
Reply #3

BillieMac

Actually, Evreka, I've never had a Facebook account, and I know he doesn't have my e-mail password. He just used my e-address to register with Facebook, and you don't need the e-mail password for that. They have no means of verifying the identity of the e-mail account holder.

Buckbeak 26 sent me a PM on the subject. I present here a slightly edited version of my reply.

I found my own solution.

The security protocols at Facebook are so bad, they let me get as far as changing the password before I got shut out. I used your screen name, minus the numerals.
He changed it again, then I accessed with my e-mail address, changed it again to commandermaxil, signed in to his account, and left a post for all to see: in all caps, and with language that would would get me booted from the Discussion Station, so it's hard to miss. And I signed it. My screen name here is a variation of my real name.
Astounding how a slice of Hawaiian pizza and a mug of chai massalla (spiced tea in Hindustani,) can get the mind working.

The part I edited out here was where I told Buckbeak 26 the guy's name, so he could see the post if he wants. If anybody else wants to see it, or have some real fun and keep changing the password on him, PM me, and I'll give you the info you need.

Post Merge: July 04, 2014, 10:16:32 PM
He just got a reply to my post from a guy I've known for 30 years, telling him to do what I said. I PM'd this respondent on Facebook, explaining what happened, and telling him to e-mail me for more. Looks like I got the right people's attention.

Eta: Great new feature, this automatic post merge.  :) Real time saver.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:18:36 PM by BillieMac »
July 05, 2014, 10:05:25 AM
Reply #4

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Actually, Evreka, I've never had a Facebook account, and I know he doesn't have my e-mail password. He just used my e-address to register with Facebook, and you don't need the e-mail password for that. They have no means of verifying the identity of the e-mail account holder.
This can't possibly be true...  :mcgonagall2:

I actually do have a Facebook account that I don't ever use for anything whatsoever. The first thing that happenned when I signed up was that it vacuumed my email account for every email address that had ever sent me an email to it; and suggested all 1000s of addresses as possible "friends". Since 95% of them came from temporary contacts that was no longer interesting to me, I wasn't amused so I ended up deleting the account and re-registering some weeks later with a brand new email address with no contacts in.  :annoyed:

Though this was awhile ago, I am 100% certain that I needed to confirm that it was my email address somehow, in some way, before this happenned. Also, Facebook by default sends out a LOT of emails to the email you register under (though you can stop this), and as far as I remember it used the same process as all other sites today, that you must verify your email address by clicking a link in a post sent to it, to verify that it is yours. Either you mistakenly did this for him, or he must have done so himself.

Compare with the sign up processes for DS and LL for that matter. Before you can login the first time and start using your account the site sends out a verification email to the email address you used at sign up. It is only by following the link in the email, thereby verifying that the email is YOUR email, that the site accepts the registration. I am entirely certain the same is true for Facebook.

I think you should change your password IMEDIATELY!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:13:38 PM by Evreka »
July 05, 2014, 10:58:57 PM
Reply #5

BillieMac

Well, however it happened, it happened. I've set some people in the West Coast Science Fiction association looking into it now.
And I've re-set my password, Evreka. Again.
August 08, 2014, 08:49:29 PM
Reply #6

BillieMac

I sent another complaint to facebook, and had to fill out the same complaint form as before. The one that got me no results. I'm complaining to yahoo next.

Eta: Can't find a place to complain on yahoo. I'm wondering- if I try to sign onto facebook through my e-mail, will the squatter get flaged and kicked off facebook, thus freeing up my address for me to use?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:02:41 PM by BillieMac »
August 09, 2014, 06:04:12 PM
Reply #7

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator

This is not true.  When the guy signed up for a Facebook account using your email address, he had to confirm to Facebook that he's the owner of the email address.  Facebook sent him an email, and in that email was a link to confirm the account.  He had to have your email password to get into your email account and retrieve the Facebook confirmation link in order to finish setting up his new Facebook account.  It's not very hard for your password to get stolen, especially if you use public computers (such as the library ones) to log in to your account.

If you haven't changed your Yahoo password, you really need to change it immediately.  He can do much worse things with your email password than to use it to open a Facebook account.  I know you said in one of your previous posts that you've changed the password, but I couldn't tell for sure if you were referring to the Yahoo password or the guy's Facebook password.

I sent another complaint to facebook, and had to fill out the same complaint form as before. The one that got me no results. I'm complaining to yahoo next.

Eta: Can't find a place to complain on yahoo. I'm wondering- if I try to sign onto facebook through my e-mail, will the squatter get flaged and kicked off facebook, thus freeing up my address for me to use?

I don't think there's anything Yahoo can do about this.  They have no control over what happens at Facebook.  If the guy could access your email account because he had your Yahoo password, there's nothing Yahoo can do about that either other than to ask you to change your password, which Evreka and I have both already suggested to you.

I don't really understand what you're trying to do at Facebook.  Shouldn't you be creating your own Facebook account, a new account, not trying to get into the other guy's Facebook account?  Just because he used your email address to create that account doesn't mean you want to take over his account, does it?  His account contains all his photos, comments, friends, personal messages to/from his friends, etc, etc, that have nothing to do with you and I assume you wouldn't want all of that to get mixed up with your own Facebook account. 

I don't have personal experience with this, but I hear that you are allowed to create a second Facebook account using the same email address.  Though some people are saying that the two accounts will then become linked, and you might get locked out of one of the accounts and be asked to confirm your email address again.  Assuming you've now changed your Yahoo password so you're the only person who can log into your Yahoo account, the other guy won't be able to confirm the address with Facebook, so he shouldn't be able to do anything to your new Facebook account.

Do you only have one email account, Billie?  I have different email accounts I use for different purposes so I can keep work/personal/online/etc stuff separate.  That would be one option, to set up a new email account for your new Facebook account so you don't get things mixed up with the other guy's Facebook account.

August 09, 2014, 09:53:06 PM
Reply #8

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
...  I have different email accounts I use for different purposes so I can keep work/personal/online/etc stuff separate.  That would be one option, to set up a new email account for your new Facebook account so you don't get things mixed up with the other guy's Facebook account.
So do I, and over the years I've had a huge amount (not all of them out of free choice). However, I always have one email for work; one for my "private" conversations with friends and family; one for online matters.... and usually more.

When I got my Facebook account (which I never use), and once I'd realised it would go through all contacts and every last person who ever sent me anything (including offers to buy various things) and have them for lunch, I found some obscure new free email account provider, got a new email address and used that for Facebook.

There are many good email providers out there which are entirely free to use.

August 09, 2014, 10:59:52 PM
Reply #9

BillieMac

This is not true.  When the guy signed up for a Facebook account using your email address, he had to confirm to Facebook that he's the owner of the email address.  Facebook sent him an email, and in that email was a link to confirm the account.  He had to have your email password to get into your email account and retrieve the Facebook confirmation link in order to finish setting up his new Facebook account.  It's not very hard for your password to get stolen, especially if you use public computers (such as the library ones) to log in to your account.
This started about four or five yahoo passwords ago, so I'm sure my current one is safe. I was halfway through typing it when the strength bar hit the end.
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was that the facebook complaints form has a list of security problems, and on the list was: "Someone not myself has used my e-mail address to get a facebook account". So clearly I'm not the only one this has happened to.
If you haven't changed your Yahoo password, you really need to change it immediately.  He can do much worse things with your email password than to use it to open a Facebook account.  I know you said in one of your previous posts that you've changed the password, but I couldn't tell for sure if you were referring to the Yahoo password or the guy's Facebook password.
If it's the post I think it is, it's my yahoo one.

Eta: Can't find a place to complain on yahoo. I'm wondering- if I try to sign onto facebook through my e-mail, will the squatter get flagged and kicked off facebook, thus freeing up my address for me to use?

I don't think there's anything Yahoo can do about this.  They have no control over what happens at Facebook.  If the guy could access your email account because he had your Yahoo password, there's nothing Yahoo can do about that either other than to ask you to change your password, which Evreka and I have both already suggested to you.

I don't really understand what you're trying to do at Facebook.  Shouldn't you be creating your own Facebook account, a new account, not trying to get into the other guy's Facebook account?  Just because he used your email address to create that account doesn't mean you want to take over his account, does it?  His account contains all his photos, comments, friends, personal messages to/from his friends, etc, etc, that have nothing to do with you and I assume you wouldn't want all of that to get mixed up with your own Facebook account.
Well, create my own facebook account is exactly what I'm trying to do. However, as far as facebook is concerned, my email address is his e-mail, not mine. This is what's blocking me. And his name isn't even Bill! (See, I know this guy RW.)
The library is closing, so I'll have to finish this Monday.

Edit: Helped BillieMac remove the exact email address. /Evreka
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:26:58 PM by Evreka »
August 11, 2014, 10:52:01 PM
Reply #10

BillieMac

Well, I decided to take your advice and get a second e-mail. Once I had that, I got a facebook account. I think.
Writing down my new yahoo ID and new yahoo and facebook passwords, I messed up somewhere, and can't get into either.
Well, at least I still have my original e-mail address. Speaking of which, I got a reply to my complaint. According to facebook, the problem has been solved, and I can now use my original e-mail to register.
Now they tell me that? I replied that I wasn't impressed, and also mentioned that this message was identical to the one I got before, and the problem was certainly not fixed before.
August 20, 2014, 10:08:03 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Well, I decided to take your advice and get a second e-mail. Once I had that, I got a facebook account. I think.
Writing down my new yahoo ID and new yahoo and facebook passwords, I messed up somewhere, and can't get into either.
Most emails have a special verification process for what to do if you forget your email. Either a security question or the option to send a missing password to another email address. Some have even an option to send as an SMS to a phone number. Of course all of these methods require that you have specified them from inside your account, while you could login.

You don't have any such methods to retrieve the new email password first? Then you could retrieve the email address from Facebook as step 2.
August 25, 2014, 07:27:42 PM
Reply #12

BillieMac

Problem solved. Saturday night I was on the phone with a friend who's on facebook, and asked her to check if my registry went through. It did, so I now have a facebook account.  :)

I used my real name, which means I can't give a shout-out for facebook Friends without violating the privacy protocols on the Station, lol. So if you want to Friend me, send me a PM, and I'll tell you my name. I'll also try to change my facebook ID from my real first name to Billie, which is an old family nickname. (Will they let me do that?)

Potter 2005, I know your real name, so I'll be sending you a Friend request, and a PM here so you know which request is me.

Now a request for some tech advice:
Last year I got bullied by telemarketers from the phone company into buying a cell phone. I never took the battery out of the wrapper. But now I'm wondering: can I use the camera function to put a photo of myself online without getting the actual phone service? A lot of these smart phones can run on wi-fi, but mine is pretty basic- a flip front- so, what's the consensus?
August 25, 2014, 08:42:54 PM
Reply #13

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Last year I got bullied by telemarketers from the phone company into buying a cell phone. I never took the battery out of the wrapper. But now I'm wondering: can I use the camera function to put a photo of myself online without getting the actual phone service? A lot of these smart phones can run on wi-fi, but mine is pretty basic- a flip front- so, what's the consensus?
Phones aren't my best area to give advices in, so I can't be certain on what you can do with it without a phone service, but you could perhaps have another problem. One thing it definitely won't work without is "eckeltricity". If you bought it last year and never ever loaded the phone battery, it might have unloaded completely quite some time ago. Modern batteries apparently take offence easily if they stay completely unloaded for too long, and might then be impossible to load when one try.

For instance I have a screwdriver which was unattended for a year and then refused to load any more. When I whined about it at work, I was told that's how it is these days. It seems to be the same with phone batteries, at least in my part of the world. But you can always give it a try, if you're lucky it will load, although it will likely take awhile, and if it refuses to load you might need a new battery.... Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:44:35 PM by Evreka »
August 25, 2014, 10:22:55 PM
Reply #14

BillieMac

Problem solved. Saturday night I was on the phone with a friend who's on facebook, and asked her to check if my registry went through. It did, so I now have a facebook account.  :)

So if you want to Friend me, send me a PM, and I'll tell you my name.
Scratch that- I still can't get in. My friend mistook logging in to facebook with looking someone up when you're logged in.

The problem is I have three things written down on a piece of paper here.
One is definitely my facebook password.
The other two have to do with my new e-mail account, which I used to sign up for facebook. One my ID and the other my password, but I can't remember which is which. I'm having trouble getting yahoo mail to accept either one, and they keep referring me back to my regular e-mail. It's so frustrating!  :furious:

No worries about power, Evreka. Even lithium batteries are cheap here.
August 25, 2014, 10:30:12 PM
Reply #15

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator

Assuming your phone does have a camera (not all flip phones come with a camera), the camera should work even without having actual phone service turned on.  However, the problem is that once you take a picture using the phone camera, you might not be able to get the photo file off of the phone.

It depends on your phone and your computer, but there might be a way for you to connect the phone to your computer and transfer the photo file to the computer.  If your phone came with a USB cord, that's what you would use to connect the two.  If it didn't come with such a cord, it might still have the port you need to plug in a cord, in which case you need to buy a cord separately (not just any USB cord but one that fits the phone specifically).  Once you can connect the phone to the computer, you might need to install software or drivers before they can communicate with each other, again depending on what type of phone and computer you have.  You might also have to change some settings on your phone, and maybe move the image file to a place on the phone that's visible to the computer.

If this sounds too complicated, you'll probably need to find someone who's tech savvy who can come over and help you.  Or, it might be easier for you to find a friend who has a working camera or a camera phone who can simply take a picture of you and email the picture file to you, if all you need is this one photo.

The problem is I have three things written down on a piece of paper here.
One is definitely my facebook password.
The other two have to do with my new e-mail account, which I used to sign up for facebook. One my ID and the other my password, but I can't remember which is which. I'm having trouble getting yahoo mail to accept either one, and they keep referring me back to my regular e-mail. It's so frustrating!  :furious:

Remember that the password is case-sensitive.  That could be what's wrong if you do have both written down but Yahoo won't accept either combination.

If you have the correct Facebook password for sure, and only two possibilities for your Yahoo ID, it might be easier to try to get into the Facebook account first.  To log in on Facebook, you'll need to spell out the entire email address, not just the Yahoo ID.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:50:18 PM by ss19 »
August 30, 2014, 10:57:25 PM
Reply #16

BillieMac

The guy who runs the computer department at London Drugs (don't be confused- it's just the name of the store) in my boyfriend's neighbourhood is about ten years younger than me, and has been very helpful in the past, so I can go to him again about the phone, (and yes, it does have a camera function.)

Still no luck with yahoo or facebook. I can't get the passwords right, and the password recovery systems just lead me in circles. :furious:  They both give texting as the fastest way to solve the problem.  :annoyed: Land lines don't text.
September 05, 2014, 08:20:32 PM
Reply #17

BillieMac

Okay, I'm on facebook now. The squatter problem has been fixed, and they told me I could use my original e-mail to sign up.

I ended up having to take out a second account, on my regular e-mail, which is exactly what Evreka has advised me to not do. So now I have two e-mail addresses, one of which I can't access, and two facebook pages, one of which I can't access.

So if you want to Friend me on the page connected to tardismayne.ca, DON'T! It's the other one- the one with more than an incomplete profile and one Friend that you want. As I said before, I'm listed under my real name, so PM me here, and I'll tell you what name to look for.
Oh, and I haven't posted any photos on either one. I don't have the hardware yet.

Was finally getting on facebook worth the aggravation? For now I'll have to give a resounding NO. I'll give it a year and see if it does me any good. If it helps me arrange appropriate times for phone calls, that would be good.
September 08, 2014, 08:12:16 PM
Reply #18

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
This would be in the frustration thread, had it not been comp related....

Once upon a time it was a great feeling to get a new computer and start exploring it. But that was prior to Windows 8.0 which after two days is driving me up a wall! Not only has it easy access to a whole host of things I couldn't care less of, while hiding the Desktop, Configuration Tools and other important things so you have to spend hours looking for them, now it seems that I have to be logged in to some stupid Microsoft account while using my own computer in my own home, or the Windows Update won't work? Whoever came up with this ill-adviced idea?  :furious:

I've just lost 5 hours worth of time in front of a computer due to the Windows Update refusing to install. In a brand new computer?  :what: So, I assume it's because I chose to use a local account rather than the Microsoft account one. If that's not the problem I have no idea what is...  :( I guess I'll have to try againh tommorrow and hope it's quicker then...

September 08, 2014, 09:27:06 PM
Reply #19

roonwit

This would be in the frustration thread, had it not been comp related....

Once upon a time it was a great feeling to get a new computer and start exploring it. But that was prior to Windows 8.0 which after two days is driving me up a wall! Not only has it easy access to a whole host of things I couldn't care less of, while hiding the Desktop, Configuration Tools and other important things so you have to spend hours looking for them, now it seems that I have to be logged in to some stupid Microsoft account while using my own computer in my own home, or the Windows Update won't work? Whoever came up with this ill-adviced idea?  :furious:

I've just lost 5 hours worth of time in front of a computer due to the Windows Update refusing to install. In a brand new computer?  :what: So, I assume it's because I chose to use a local account rather than the Microsoft account one. If that's not the problem I have no idea what is...  :( I guess I'll have to try againh tommorrow and hope it's quicker then...
You shouldn't need to get a Microsoft account. I haven't and I got Windows updates installed on 8.0 (now 8.1) okay.