August 14, 2018, 09:48:05 AM

Author Topic: Digital Disasters, Computer Confusions or Nerd Knowledge Needed?  (Read 4569 times)

September 09, 2014, 08:38:00 PM
Reply #20

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
This would be in the frustration thread, had it not been comp related....

Once upon a time it was a great feeling to get a new computer and start exploring it. But that was prior to Windows 8.0 which after two days is driving me up a wall! Not only has it easy access to a whole host of things I couldn't care less of, while hiding the Desktop, Configuration Tools and other important things so you have to spend hours looking for them, now it seems that I have to be logged in to some stupid Microsoft account while using my own computer in my own home, or the Windows Update won't work? Whoever came up with this ill-adviced idea?  :furious:

I've just lost 5 hours worth of time in front of a computer due to the Windows Update refusing to install. In a brand new computer?  :what: So, I assume it's because I chose to use a local account rather than the Microsoft account one. If that's not the problem I have no idea what is...  :( I guess I'll have to try againh tommorrow and hope it's quicker then...
You shouldn't need to get a Microsoft account. I haven't and I got Windows updates installed on 8.0 (now 8.1) okay.

:hmm: What, then, is the problem? Regardless, thanks a lot for the info, roonwit! :flower:
September 10, 2014, 10:02:42 PM
Reply #21

roonwit

Once upon a time it was a great feeling to get a new computer and start exploring it. But that was prior to Windows 8.0 which after two days is driving me up a wall! Not only has it easy access to a whole host of things I couldn't care less of, while hiding the Desktop, Configuration Tools and other important things so you have to spend hours looking for them, now it seems that I have to be logged in to some stupid Microsoft account while using my own computer in my own home, or the Windows Update won't work? Whoever came up with this ill-adviced idea?  :furious:

I've just lost 5 hours worth of time in front of a computer due to the Windows Update refusing to install. In a brand new computer?  :what: So, I assume it's because I chose to use a local account rather than the Microsoft account one. If that's not the problem I have no idea what is...  :( I guess I'll have to try againh tommorrow and hope it's quicker then...
You shouldn't need to get a Microsoft account. I haven't and I got Windows updates installed on 8.0 (now 8.1) okay.

:hmm: What, then, is the problem? Regardless, thanks a lot for the info, roonwit! :flower:
Unless you particularly want Windows 8.0, I suggest you upgrade to Windows 8.1. It is a free upgrade that should be available from the Store icon on the start window, and unlike everything else there it doesn't need a Microsoft account. There are instructions here. However you need a lot of space and bandwidth as it is large, I don't remember how much but maybe 2GB.
If that works you can go onto Windows 8.1 update 1 and hopefully Windows Update will work if you get that far.
September 11, 2014, 06:56:16 PM
Reply #22

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Okay, I'm on facebook now. The squatter problem has been fixed, and they told me I could use my original e-mail to sign up.

Great! I'm glad you were able to get the problem sorted out and use your original email to sign up.  :thumbup:

Was finally getting on facebook worth the aggravation? For now I'll have to give a resounding NO. I'll give it a year and see if it does me any good. If it helps me arrange appropriate times for phone calls, that would be good.

I thought you initially said you wanted the Facebook account in order to access the Mayne Island Buy and Sell page?  Were you able to access that page now that you've got your account?

Once upon a time it was a great feeling to get a new computer and start exploring it. But that was prior to Windows 8.0 which after two days is driving me up a wall!

That was me 3 months ago.  :console:

I had to get a new laptop for work and I wanted a Windows 7 laptop but in the end decided it wasn't worth spending an extra $100 or $200 to get an older version of Windows.  Initially I was switching back and forth between working on my old Windows 7 desktop and my new Windows 8 laptop, which didn't help at all in terms of my frustrations with Windows 8.  But a couple of weeks later I had to travel and was forced to use the new laptop exclusively for a month.  Once I had no choice of going back to my Windows 7 computer, I was able to get used to Windows 8 quickly.

I hope you'll get used to Windows 8 soon too and get the update issue fixed.  :bear:

I use a local account also and I don't have any problems installing Windows updates either.
September 11, 2014, 08:40:30 PM
Reply #23

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix

Unless you particularly want Windows 8.0, I suggest you upgrade to Windows 8.1. It is a free upgrade that should be available from the Store icon on the start window, and unlike everything else there it doesn't need a Microsoft account. There are instructions here. However you need a lot of space and bandwidth as it is large, I don't remember how much but maybe 2GB.
If that works you can go onto Windows 8.1 update 1 and hopefully Windows Update will work if you get that far.
Well, the problem is that I have to get Windows 8.0 up to date before it will allow my to download 8.1. Otherwise I can't wait to get ridd of it... :P

I don't get the account thing though, as I couldn't become Administrator for my own computer (which likely was the reason Windows Update wasn't working) until I used a Windows account and confirmed my email address. Strange...? Maybe the difference is that I first chose a MS account then changed to the other one quickly, but that it still needed the email confirmed?  :mcgonagall2:

Thankas a lot for your tips, roonwit and ss19:hug:

I still have a few updates to run to become up to date, then I'll see how long it'll take to get 8.1 and then I'll try to install the programs I want and need and my old files.

Do either of you know if you can get programs that worked on WinXP to run on a Win 8 computer?
September 13, 2014, 02:20:53 AM
Reply #24

ss19

• Administrator
I don't get the account thing though, as I couldn't become Administrator for my own computer (which likely was the reason Windows Update wasn't working) until I used a Windows account and confirmed my email address. Strange...? Maybe the difference is that I first chose a MS account then changed to the other one quickly, but that it still needed the email confirmed?  :mcgonagall2:

I actually started with a Microsoft account too, before realizing there was a local account option.  I switched to a local account when I realized, and was still an administrator - that shouldn't change, I think?  And then I created a new administrator account that's also a local account, and deleted the original account, because I didn't like the name of my user folder that Windows gave me for the original account which was made up using my Microsoft account username/email.

Do either of you know if you can get programs that worked on WinXP to run on a Win 8 computer?

It depends on the program.  Microsoft programs will likely work just fine.  I have Microsoft Office 2007 which was the XP/Vista version, and all the components work fine on my new Windows 8 laptop.
September 13, 2014, 07:19:31 PM
Reply #25

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Thankfully I have now managed to come all the way to Windows 8.1 ... :whew: And even been able to install the Office package. And then, naturally, it felt like it's been too good to long, so now my email program refuses to configure and read my email addresses...  ::) Sometimes I wonder whose errands this system runs - not mine apparently...  ;) I guess I'll have to hunt some support tommorrow or on Monday.

An advice: don't get me started on what I don't like about Win 8 :-X, so far... But on the upside, I just LOVE how easy I can access my photos!  :stars: On my old WinXP computer just opening a folder with 20+ images in meant it had to load every single one into RAM (or so it seemed) taking forever before you could even choose to open one of them! Here, it just displays the entire folders content in no time at all and is instantly ready to show them in full size! Fantastic!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:21:21 PM by Evreka »
September 20, 2014, 10:44:19 PM
Reply #26

BillieMac

I'm shopping for a new laptop next week (maybe new will survive me longer than secondhand).
I'm seriously considering a Dell. The computers here are Dell, and while they're in a downward spiral now, they have lasted through six years of public use and abuse.
Any opinions one way or the other?
September 20, 2014, 11:05:45 PM
Reply #27

ss19

• Administrator
I'm shopping for a new laptop next week (maybe new will survive me longer than secondhand).
I'm seriously considering a Dell. The computers here are Dell, and while they're in a downward spiral now, they have lasted through six years of public use and abuse.
Any opinions one way or the other?

The last 10 computers I've just counted that we've either owned as a family computer or laptop, or had as a work computer purchased by our employers (mine or my husband's) over the years have all been Dells and we've been very happy with them for the most part.  We've had an occasional problem or two, but their service has been very good when we've needed it.  And I would say that the problems we've had aren't any more than you would expect with any other computer manufacturer.

My next computer will likely be another Dell when the time comes.

One thing I want to suggest is that if you are able to afford a laptop with a touch screen, to go for it.  I recently purchased a new laptop for work, and decided not to get the touch screen, and now feel like it was a mistake.  The new Windows 8.1 is designed to work best on touch screens.  You can get around without a touch screen, sure, but you can tell that these are workarounds, not how it's meant to work ideally.  Given that more and more people are using tablets or smartphones instead of full-size laptops/computers, and those mobile devices are all touch screens, this is where technology is going and more and more applications will be designed to work best on a touch screen.
September 24, 2014, 07:48:00 PM
Reply #28

BillieMac

Thanks for the input, ss19. Continuing with the topic, people RW have recommended that I get it loaded with Windows 7, rather than 8. How does 7 work with a touch screen?

Mind you, this might prove academic. My car is leaking transmission fluid (how else do you explain it going through a litre [a bit less than a US quart] of fluid in two weeks?). I can afford a computer or repairs. I'll know for sure tomorrow, and let you know by Saturday how it turned out. (I can't guarantee computer access before then.)
September 24, 2014, 08:07:38 PM
Reply #29

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Thanks for the input, ss19. Continuing with the topic, people RW have recommended that I get it loaded with Windows 7, rather than 8. How does 7 work with a touch screen?
If you have a choice at all; by all means go for Windows 7! I've had Windows 8 installed since roughly two weeks ago, and it's very far from a dream for me.

If you do have to get Windows 8, by all means get Windows 8.1 (not Windows 8.0). The latter was driving me up a wall in no time at all. 8.1 is at least a little bit better.

As for touch screen or not.... I don't think it's a good idea on win 7?   :-\  But what do you plan to do with your computer and how big screen were you thinking to get? The bigger the screen, the less I would want one, as you'd have to move your hands and arms around over a larger area (compared to with a mouse) to use it. Since mouse arms are a problem sometimes as it is; I would not be keen to have to use my arm even more, all over a screen to get the touch screen to do what I want.

Further... I think touch screens work  primarily if you want your comp to behave as a tablet or a phone; not if you plan to use it like we've used computers more traditionally... Just my 2 Knuts.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:10:17 PM by Evreka »
September 24, 2014, 08:35:33 PM
Reply #30

BillieMac

As for touch screen or not.... I don't think it's a good idea on win 7?   :-\  But what do you plan to do with your computer and how big screen were you thinking to get? The bigger the screen, the less I would want one, as you'd have to move your hands and arms around over a larger area (compared to with a mouse) to use it. Since mouse arms are a problem sometimes as it is; I would not be keen to have to use my arm even more, all over a screen to get the touch screen to do what I want.

Further... I think touch screens work  primarily if you want your comp to behave as a tablet or a phone; not if you plan to use it like we've used computers more traditionally... Just my 2 Knuts.

Even 2 knuts is helpful.  :)
I've got 2 fanfics on the go, e-mail, comment on deviantArt, correspond and play games here at the Station etc., so I primarily want a reasonably lightweight laptop with a proper keyboard.
Writing is a good way to pass the time on the ferry, but too much pencil on paper has given me carpal tunnel syndrome.
Typing on a low-lying keyboard helps. I just thought a touch screen would be a fun option to consider, but it's certainly not essential.
September 25, 2014, 04:19:55 PM
Reply #31

ss19

• Administrator

Yes, Windows 7 works with a touch screen.  It needs to have a Touch Pack installed to work with a touch screen, but if you're buying a new touch screen laptop that comes with Windows 7 preinstalled it should already have the Touch Pack preinstalled as well.

But Windows 8 will work better than 7 with a touch screen, so you probably won't be able to find a store selling a touch screen laptop with Windows 7.

Around here you'll have to pay at least $100 more for Windows 7 on an otherwise-identical laptop.  I'm not sure it's worth it because I don't think Windows 8 is "bad".  It's just drastically different from previous versions of Windows so you can't find anything you need because things aren't where you expect them to be and it might be frustrating in the beginning.

It takes a lot longer to get used to Windows 8 compared to previously-released Windows versions, but once you're used to it, you'll start to notice the improvements over Windows 7.  Windows 8 starts up much faster than Windows 7, for example, which is very helpful for me when I'm frequently on the run and have to pack up the laptop and then start it up again when I get to the next location.

If you do have to get Windows 8, by all means get Windows 8.1 (not Windows 8.0). The latter was driving me up a wall in no time at all. 8.1 is at least a little bit better.

Billie, if you buy a laptop with Windows 8, you can get a free upgrade to Windows 8.1, though it does take more time and effort to install the upgrade and you might need help if you don't know how to do it.

Even 2 knuts is helpful.  :)
I've got 2 fanfics on the go, e-mail, comment on deviantArt, correspond and play games here at the Station etc., so I primarily want a reasonably lightweight laptop with a proper keyboard.
Writing is a good way to pass the time on the ferry, but too much pencil on paper has given me carpal tunnel syndrome.
Typing on a low-lying keyboard helps. I just thought a touch screen would be a fun option to consider, but it's certainly not essential.

A touch screen basically gives you the option of doing some things using the touch screen rather than the keyboard and mouse.  It might be a consideration if you think it'll help to get your hands off the keyboard sometimes.  I think the touch screen might be especially helpful if you can't use a mouse and need to use the touchpad on the laptop for navigation (if you have your laptop on your lap on the ferry and there's no place to put a mouse, for example). 

If you can go to a computer store and try out the touch screen laptops there and also try the non-touch laptops without a mouse, it might help you decide whether you want a touch screen.

Another factor to consider is that a touch screen will drain your battery faster and make the laptop slightly thicker and heavier.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:23:45 PM by ss19 »
September 25, 2014, 06:43:21 PM
Reply #32

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Billie, if you buy a laptop with Windows 8, you can get a free upgrade to Windows 8.1, though it does take more time and effort to install the upgrade and you might need help if you don't know how to do it.
Ah, sorry, I probably should have made that clear from the beginning. I was thinking that it took quite some time to download though, even on my roughly 4-5 Mbit ADSL connection, which sure isn't a wonder of speed, but could still be a lot worse. So depending on how quick Internet connection you have it might take a very long time.

And also, to be able to download it in the first place you have to get around initially in Win 8.0 and that wasn't something I felt I wanted to recommend to anyone... But that's just me...
September 26, 2014, 11:03:42 PM
Reply #33

BillieMac

Thanks for all the advice.
The weight will probably be the deciding factor on touch screen or not. I'll decide in the store, where I can do hands-on tests.

If they now come with separate, desktop style mice, that will probably be my best option. I always found the position of the keyboard mouse awkward.
The way the ferry is laid out, the electrical outlets are above the windows, where the tables are low. (They're meant for games and other non-eating activities. The eating tables are across the aisle.) Anyway, it should be very comfortable with a mouse next to me on the (upholstered) bench.
So I'll update tomorrow if I have it.
September 26, 2014, 11:33:43 PM
Reply #34

ss19

• Administrator
If they now come with separate, desktop style mice, that will probably be my best option. I always found the position of the keyboard mouse awkward.

The laptop won't come with a separate mouse.  That's sold separately.  If you want one you can buy a USB mouse which can be plugged into your laptop.

I think by "keyboard mouse" you mean the touchpad?  The rectangular pad near the front (towards you) of the laptop keyboard is called a touchpad, not a mouse.  Sorry, thought I should point this out so you don't get confused in the store.
September 27, 2014, 07:20:30 PM
Reply #35

BillieMac

Okay, I need feedback within 3 hrs. of the time stamp, because I won't be able to log in at the store.
Dell proved out of my price range, and the smaller ones are only available in Canada by mail order. Go figure.
Anyway, the best available choice is ASUS, and of the two small laptops in stock, I've settled for the one without the detachable screen. Only a $30 difference, but easier on the ferry without something extra to juggle. And I'm a one hand typist, mostly, so the smaller keyboard won't be a problem.
I just want to know the general feeling about ASUS. The clerk says the casing is more durable than Dell, which is what Superklutz here needs. And it's loaded with Windows 8, but I can get it upgraded to 8.1 in store.
Eta: Yes, I did mean touchpad. It's not a problem, though; the tech clerks in London Drugs are trained in translating Luddite English. They just use hands-on demo.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:25:15 PM by BillieMac »
September 27, 2014, 09:40:21 PM
Reply #36

ss19

• Administrator
Okay, I need feedback within 3 hrs. of the time stamp, because I won't be able to log in at the store.
Dell proved out of my price range, and the smaller ones are only available in Canada by mail order. Go figure.
Anyway, the best available choice is ASUS, and of the two small laptops in stock, I've settled for the one without the detachable screen. Only a $30 difference, but easier on the ferry without something extra to juggle. And I'm a one hand typist, mostly, so the smaller keyboard won't be a problem.
I just want to know the general feeling about ASUS. The clerk says the casing is more durable than Dell, which is what Superklutz here needs. And it's loaded with Windows 8, but I can get it upgraded to 8.1 in store.

Sorry, I don't have personal experience with Asus laptops.  Some people seem to like them just fine, but others say they're cheaply built and if they need repairs it's harder to find parts for them.  I'm not sure but it might be OK if it comes with a warranty that covers any problems that you might find right away.
September 29, 2014, 11:52:51 PM
Reply #37

BillieMac

I ended up getting the one with the detachable tablet after all, because it has more GBs memory, which I may need with my writing. I'm using it just as a laptop, though. It's pre-loaded with 8.1, so it'll be interesting to see what that turns up. It's a broad learning curve already, so I'm taking it slow. And I got the seller's extended warranty.
The only problem now is something I've never encountered before, since this is my first new computer (i.e. not second hand).
It can't get internet until I register online with Windows, and I don't think I'll have time today. Maybe it should wait for V-Con this coming weekend- I should be able to corral somebody to help me hands-on. Or I could try Wednesday, at the library on Mayne Island. (I'm in Victoria right now.)
October 03, 2014, 12:46:18 AM
Reply #38

BillieMac

Well, it turns out I was able to connect to the internet all along. I just needed to find the right steps to take, which I did by accident 5 minutes ago. Another milestone on the learning curve. Now to figure out how to ditch some unwanted factory set apps.
October 13, 2014, 09:21:19 PM
Reply #39

BillieMac

Two nights ago, the wi-fi connection I use cut out on me while I was posting a comment to deviantArt. It was a long post, and I didn't want to lose it.
For once I kept my head, probably because I was now on my own computer- with 2 year extended warranty.

I highlighted the entire post, did ctrl c, clicked the Documents icon, opened a  file I keep for temporary stuff, and did ctrl v. In other words, cut-and-pasted from internet to Office.
After giving my computer an overnight rest, I went back to deviantArt, and reversed the process.

It worked! This is a real milestone for me, because it's the first time I've found my own solution to a problem, instead of running to ss19 in a panic.