January 23, 2018, 04:13:12 AM

Author Topic: Digital Disasters, Computer Confusions or Nerd Knowledge Needed?  (Read 3480 times)

October 18, 2014, 09:31:17 AM
Reply #40

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I highlighted the entire post, did ctrl c, clicked the Documents icon, opened a  file I keep for temporary stuff, and did ctrl v. In other words, cut-and-pasted from internet to Office.
After giving my computer an overnight rest, I went back to deviantArt, and reversed the process.

It worked! This is a real milestone for me, because it's the first time I've found my own solution to a problem, instead of running to ss19 in a panic.

:yay: for finding your own solution! That really helps sometimes (particularly when your Internet connection is lost). :)

The solution you describe is a great one that I use extensively. It's applicable on so many things. For instance I always try to remember to press Ctrl-A (mark everything) Ctrl-C (Copy) before:
* Hitting send on Emails if I've typed it in a webmail other than Google.
* Hitting Post or Edit in a community or Forum.
* Taking any other similar action where I've entered text and am about to send it somewhere.

Obviously, sometimes I've forgotten and when it mattered, for instance on LL when it went down due to too many users, it felt like I tended to loose the longer posts rather than the shorter ones...  ;) Regardless, it's saved me loads of trouble over the years, so making a habit of the copy part, is a tip.  :crookshanks:

At the moment I am phased with an interesting problem. I tried to install my admittedly ancient Photoshop Elements on my new PC with Win 8.1 and the installer dies next to immediately with the most irritating message on earth: You have to have Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later installed to run the installer.  :mcgonagall2: Right.... I have IE 11, thank you(!), and last time I looked 11 was larger than 4....  :annoyed:

I researched it online and the only way to get it in is apparently to uninstall IE 11, uninstall IE10 and it will accept IE9...! (So it seems to assume the version number is only one digit long.) 
This is  :owlsd: programming!

I haven't yet decided if I dare risk all potential hassle of degrading IE and upgrading it back in a new computer or if I should live without my old and much easier understandable verion of Photoshop Elements compared to the new one... And the new one isn't exactly free either...  :hmm:

Have any of you ever tried running IE 9 on Win 8.1?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:41:58 AM by Evreka »
October 19, 2014, 08:16:36 PM
Reply #41

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Two nights ago, the wi-fi connection I use cut out on me while I was posting a comment to deviantArt. It was a long post, and I didn't want to lose it.
For once I kept my head, probably because I was now on my own computer- with 2 year extended warranty.

I highlighted the entire post, did ctrl c, clicked the Documents icon, opened a  file I keep for temporary stuff, and did ctrl v. In other words, cut-and-pasted from internet to Office.
After giving my computer an overnight rest, I went back to deviantArt, and reversed the process.

It worked! This is a real milestone for me, because it's the first time I've found my own solution to a problem, instead of running to ss19 in a panic.

That's terrific!  :thumbup:

At the moment I am phased with an interesting problem. I tried to install my admittedly ancient Photoshop Elements on my new PC with Win 8.1 and the installer dies next to immediately with the most irritating message on earth: You have to have Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later installed to run the installer.  :mcgonagall2: Right.... I have IE 11, thank you(!), and last time I looked 11 was larger than 4....  :annoyed:

I researched it online and the only way to get it in is apparently to uninstall IE 11, uninstall IE10 and it will accept IE9...! (So it seems to assume the version number is only one digit long.) 

I haven't yet decided if I dare risk all potential hassle of degrading IE and upgrading it back in a new computer or if I should live without my old and much easier understandable verion of Photoshop Elements compared to the new one... And the new one isn't exactly free either...  :hmm:

I haven't had this problem personally, but I did a quick search on the problem and it looks like there's another option you can consider if you're tech savvy and you're comfortable editing registry keys.  You don't have to actually downgrade IE to an older version.  You just need to modify one of the registry keys and maybe copy another file over temporarily, to fool the Photoshop Elements installer into thinking you have the older version of IE.
October 22, 2014, 09:08:19 PM
Reply #42

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix

I haven't had this problem personally, but I did a quick search on the problem and it looks like there's another option you can consider if you're tech savvy and you're comfortable editing registry keys.  You don't have to actually downgrade IE to an older version.  You just need to modify one of the registry keys and maybe copy another file over temporarily, to fool the Photoshop Elements installer into thinking you have the older version of IE.
I haven't decided whether I dare do this yet... but do you have a link?
October 22, 2014, 10:40:01 PM
Reply #43

ss19

• Administrator
I haven't decided whether I dare do this yet... but do you have a link?

I was initially going to include a link in my previous post, but decided not to because, as I've said, I only did a quick search and there might be better documentation out there if you can do a more thorough search.

I'll give you the link I found, but if you decide to try this, it might be worth checking other tech forums or blogs to see whether others have done it successfully.  This link was just a random one that came up in the Google search I did.  I don't know if it's reliable.  Here's the link:  http://psekb.blogspot.in/2013/03/unable-to-install-pse-on-windows.html

The original post gives the information on editing the registry key, which a few others then tried and said it doesn't work.  But if you scroll down further, one anonymous poster said that in addition to editing the registry key, you need to also copy an old ie executable to a specific location temporarily.  At least 2 others then tried this and said it worked for them.

Let me know how it goes if you do give it a try.
October 25, 2014, 02:19:47 AM
Reply #44

BillieMac

I'm getting incessant pop-ups, demanding that I download Asus Webstorage to store my data on.
Firstly, I'm using my neighbour's wi-fi, and he doesn't want downloads on it.
Secondly, the illustration on the app icon looks like Asus Webstorage is identical to the Secure Cloud, and if that's not a contradiction in terms, I don't know what is.
I store any data I want to keep on either a usb memory, or printed out, so how do I get rid of these pop ups?
October 25, 2014, 01:12:14 PM
Reply #45

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I don't have much time right now, but a quick and incomplete search around the Internet, leads me to say: I wouldn't install it without knowing what you're doing. By default it would upload your entire MyDocuments folder without asking any questions and then proceed to keep it in sync. There are people who have problems with pop-ups even after installing it and there seem to be an issue with uninstalling it. Personally I wouldn't touch it with my current knowledge, which admittedly is very vague and dim.

There are ways to block pop-ups but there might be better ways to stop your problem. Sorry, I'm in a hurry.
November 09, 2014, 03:35:02 PM
Reply #46

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Did you get the pop-up problem solved BillieMac?

Yet another reason to dislike the technical "improvements", supposedly a "feature" of Windows 8.1. I can no longer print things directly from the web! I doubt it's browser related as it holds true for both IE and Firefox at least.   :annoyed: Microsoft seem to know assume that it's better to have the same interface everywhere (on computers as well as pads and phones and what not), even if it means stripping the computers of really basic features.  :furious: Since I got this new one the print dialogue in both my browsers open a save dialogue box, to some weird format that just crashes instead of actually saving. And even if it had worked, if I hit print I want it on a paper, thank you very much, otherwise I'd hit Save! How difficult is that to comprehend?  :furious: :annoyed: :thumbdown:  :dementor: GRRRRR....

*Taking a deep breath or two* Anyone know of a way to solve this so print actually DO print?  :what:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:50:36 PM by Evreka »
November 10, 2014, 12:21:52 AM
Reply #47

ss19

• Administrator
I'm getting incessant pop-ups, demanding that I download Asus Webstorage to store my data on.
Firstly, I'm using my neighbour's wi-fi, and he doesn't want downloads on it.
Secondly, the illustration on the app icon looks like Asus Webstorage is identical to the Secure Cloud, and if that's not a contradiction in terms, I don't know what is.
I store any data I want to keep on either a usb memory, or printed out, so how do I get rid of these pop ups?

BillieMac, sorry I'm not able to help with your pop-up problem.  There are a number of different places these pop-ups can hide in your computer, and I don't know enough about Asus computers to know where they'd put this.  I could help you look in all the different places, but I think this is probably something you'd need help in person, not something we can walk you through online like this, given what I know about your comfort level with tech stuff.

Yet another reason to dislike the technical "improvements", supposedly a "feature" of Windows 8.1. I can no longer print things directly from the web! I doubt it's browser related as it holds true for both IE and Firefox at least.   :annoyed: Microsoft seem to know assume that it's better to have the same interface everywhere (on computers as well as pads and phones and what not), even if it means stripping the computers of really basic features.  :furious: Since I got this new one the print dialogue in both my browsers open a save dialogue box, to some weird format that just crashes instead of actually saving. And even if it had worked, if I hit print I want it on a paper, thank you very much, otherwise I'd hit Save! How difficult is that to comprehend?  :furious: :annoyed: :thumbdown:  :dementor: GRRRRR....
No, that doesn't sound right.  You should still be able to print a webpage directly from the browser with Windows 8.1.  When you set up the new computer, did you remember to install the printer software or at least the printer drivers for your printer?  If you didn't, Windows won't be able to see the printer, and if there's no printer for it to print to, it will give you the option to save to a document instead.

Are you able to print from other programs than browsers, such as from Word or Excel?  Because if my guess is right and Windows just can't see your printer, then you won't be able to print from any other program either, not just browsers.  If this is the case, you should go to the control panel and bring up the list of devices and printers to see if your printer is there.

I hope you're not so determined to hate Windows 8.1 that whenever you can't find something, you assume they've take it away.  You could be missing out on a lot of functions that are really still there!  :console:

"You are determined to hate him, Harry," said Lupin with a faint smile.  "And I understand; with James as your father, with Sirius as your godfather, you have inherited an old prejudice."  - from HBP
November 10, 2014, 07:42:19 PM
Reply #48

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
No, that doesn't sound right.  You should still be able to print a webpage directly from the browser with Windows 8.1. 

:whew: Now that sounds promising. :)

When you set up the new computer, did you remember to install the printer software or at least the printer drivers for your printer?  If you didn't, Windows won't be able to see the printer, and if there's no printer for it to print to, it will give you the option to save to a document instead.

Are you able to print from other programs than browsers, such as from Word or Excel?  Because if my guess is right and Windows just can't see your printer, then you won't be able to print from any other program either, not just browsers.  If this is the case, you should go to the control panel and bring up the list of devices and printers to see if your printer is there.
Yes, of course I can print from other programs. :) I wouldn't have survived this far if I couldn't print at all. As for web sites, my current work around means:

Copy content from web page, paste in Word, print from there. Which works, sort of, because sometimes it's impossible to get the formatting to come along nicely, but even when it does it is just so tedious and stupid. The Control Panel/Printer section sees it, I can print from MS Office, various text editors, images... just not web pages!  :crabbegoyle: 

I hope you're not so determined to hate Windows 8.1 that whenever you can't find something, you assume they've take it away.  You could be missing out on a lot of functions that are really still there!  :console:

"You are determined to hate him, Harry," said Lupin with a faint smile.  "And I understand; with James as your father, with Sirius as your godfather, you have inherited an old prejudice."  - from HBP
:lol: I guess I deserved that from my outburst, but seeing as everything else print, that both my browsers do NOT and that it began with the new computer I assumed it was Win 8.1's fault... I guess I shouldn't have...

OK, thanks for the info, then I know what not to include when I google for a solution...

Anyone have any other ideas for a reason?
November 11, 2014, 12:34:31 PM
Reply #49

ss19

• Administrator
Yes, of course I can print from other programs. :) I wouldn't have survived this far if I couldn't print at all. As for web sites, my current work around means:

Copy content from web page, paste in Word, print from there. Which works, sort of, because sometimes it's impossible to get the formatting to come along nicely, but even when it does it is just so tedious and stupid. The Control Panel/Printer section sees it, I can print from MS Office, various text editors, images... just not web pages!  :crabbegoyle: 

OK, that's great that Windows can see your printer.  I think even with the printer on the device list, Chrome defaults the print destination to save to a document (maybe because when Chrome was installed the printer driver wasn't yet, I'm not sure) initially.  You'll need to change from the default "Save as PDF" option to your printer.  I'm guessing you've probably already tried this, but thought I should mention it just in case.

Actually, just checked your initial post again and you don't use Chrome.  IE and Firefox may be similar... otherwise never mind what I wrote above.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe your printer driver isn't up to date to work with Windows 8.1?  Did you install the driver using your printer CD, or from a download online?  The printer's manufacturer's website should have the current drivers that will work with Windows 8.1.  I have an HP printer and downloaded the printer driver from hp.com and everything works perfectly.  I can print from both Chrome and IE just fine.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:52:10 PM by ss19 »
November 11, 2014, 08:38:20 PM
Reply #50

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The only other thing I can think of is that maybe your printer driver isn't up to date to work with Windows 8.1?  Did you install the driver using your printer CD, or from a download online?  The printer's manufacturer's website should have the current drivers that will work with Windows 8.1.  I have an HP printer and downloaded the printer driver from hp.com and everything works perfectly.  I can print from both Chrome and IE just fine.
  :hug: Now that sounds like a promising problem!  :thumbup: I'm fairly certain I used the printer CD, that might explain it! The more so as I recently realised that the scanning part of the printer has also broken. Thanks a million, this solved the problem!  :yay: :stars:

Take 40 points to your most favourite House! ;)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:16:40 PM by Evreka »
November 12, 2014, 11:53:55 PM
Reply #51

ss19

• Administrator
Thanks a million, this solved the problem!  :yay: :stars:

Take 40 points to your most favourite House! ;)

Great!  I'm glad that solved the problem.  :thumbup: 

Technology seems to keep moving faster all the time, and sometimes things put in a CD are already out of date by the time you get it, or very soon after that, unfortunately.  :shake:

Thanks for the points!  They'll go to Hufflepuff, of course.   :hufflepuffb: